You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Mummy, The Children And The Scary Man

Real Ghost Stories

The Mummy, The Children And The Scary Man

 

When I was around 6 or 7 years old we lived in a duplex in the middle of town. My memory is a little hazy on the layout of the house because we didn't live there long due to the amount if activity but I do remember there were 3 floors. The top floor had 2 rooms, one was my parents and the other was mine and my little sisters. The main floor was the kitchen, living room and another bedroom. Below was the basement where my dad had painted a Native American portrait on the ground.

One night shortly after moving in my little sister wakes me up and says she has to use the restroom but the man in the corner is scaring her and she wanted me to come with. Being half asleep I grab her hand and go. We get back to the room and she says "He's under the bed now" and starts crying. We turn around and get our dad and tell him there's a man in our room and he's hiding under the bed.

My dad grabs a bat (my parents used to play softball) and thoroughly checks the room and tells us there is no man and to go back to bed. This unfortunately was not an isolated incident and happened multiple times. We ended up switching rooms with my parents because of it.

After the room swap I would wake up and hear crying as if someone were in pain. Annoyed by being woken up I would go downstairs to sleep on the couch in the living room. One morning my dad asked me why he kept finding me on the couch, I told him "The mummy upstairs is too loud and the children down here sing me to sleep".

Now the basement was the most terrifying place I have ever been in and I still have nightmares about it. The basement door would open and close on its own even if it was locked. It wasn't pressure change causing the door to open. You could lock it and jiggle or shake it every which way and it would not budge. When it was unlocked you could very easily open or close the door. You could feel a heaviness and negativity down there (being a child I thought it was because I was afraid of the dark like most children are). It felt like someone was just one step behind you and if you stopped suddenly they would bump into you. Anytime we had to go into the basement we ran the entire time and I say we because no one ever went alone.

The worst experience I had down there was when my mom and I went to grab some vegetables and we were heading back upstairs as soon as my mom had walked out the door it slammed shut and I felt something grab my leg and pull me down the stairs into the center of the room over the painting. My mom was trying everything she could to open the unlocked door to no avail. Screaming and crying I got up and ran back up the stairs and the door popped open. I know it's a possibility that I slipped when the door slammed but it doesn't explain being pulled to the painting. After that I refused to go into the basement.

When I was older (around 15) I asked my mom if she remembered all the activity in the house and the basement incident and why dad had painted on the floor. She said she remembered and that it was the most terrifying thing she had experienced.

She said after some digging she found out it was built where a hospital used to be. The third floor was the ICU and that a man died from severe burns that covered 90% of his body. The main floor was TB ward where many children died from the illness and that the basement of the hospital was a morgue. She then went on to say that dad painted over a pentagram the landlord couldn't get 100% off from cleaning and scrubbing. He gave my dad permission to paint the portrait because the landlord was Native American.

According to the landlord the previous tenant had hung himself in the center of this pentagram. In his suicide note he said he was sacrificing himself to Satan to rule at his side in hell.

I asked them why they would move us in knowing a man had committed suicide in the name of Satan.

My mom said the landlord had the house cleansed before they moved in and financially it was the only option they had or else they would to be homeless.

I did look into it and found out that a hospital was on the land before they built a bigger and more efficient hospital but I couldn't find anything on the satanic suicide.

Other hauntings by Caylo28

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Utah

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Caylo28, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Caylo28 (3 stories) (16 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-08-01)
Lady-glow, That is correct only one hospital was removed and a laundry matt, the duplex and a couple other houses were built on the land.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-07-31)
Caylo: After rereading your story and comments I understand that, - please correct me if I'm wrong - the first hospital was demolished to make room for housing the expanding population and was relocated into a new building in an altogether different place. Right?

So, the duplex/rental was built on the lot of the demolished (gone) hospital and "The duplex is still there. I see it every time I go to Utah to visit family..."

Are you talking about just one duplex or is it a town-houses complex?
I'm asking because it would be interesting to know if any paranormal activity has been reported in the other unit/s.

It doesn't seem to me like the provided link is about the original hospital. But you know the address of the duplex and could start by checking the previous use of that land in the town archives.

I will appreciate any further input.
Caylo28 (3 stories) (16 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-07-26)
If my info is incorrect I would like to know since most of it was hear say from my mother to me. If anyone finds out any other cool history on the town I'd like to know that too 😊
Caylo28 (3 stories) (16 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-07-26)
Unfortunately I can't find anything on the original hospital since this was about 10 years ago that I found it. The name of the town is Roosevelt it was founded in 1905. The only info I can find is from http://www.ubmc.org/getpage.php?name=history and that's only from the LDS hospital that was built in 1944. It does mention smaller clinics and very little medical personnel but that's it.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+4
7 years ago (2017-07-26)
I think there is a critical detail missing here that might clear up the skepticism - *when* was the hospital in question in service. It seems as though folks are assuming the hospital was a fairly large modern affair but what if it wasn't? Facilities that can be classified as hospitals (including clinics, private hospitals and sanitariums) as recently as the 60s were often no bigger than private houses - it isn't even unheard for private homes to have been converted in to such facilities.

The TB bit gave me a hunch so I decided to research down that path and have come to discover that large hospitals are a fairly new thing in Utah:
"Utah's first hospital, Saint Mark's Hospital was begun in April 1872. Frequent mining
And industrial accidents created an urgent need for a hospital. Saint Mark's founders
Were Major Wilkes, a manager of one of the mines, and three men who were all members
Of the Episcopal church. This first small, adobe hospital had six beds. It served as a
County hospital until 1912 when the Salt Lake County Hospital was opened.
Holy Cross Hospital was the second in Utah. It was founded by the Catholic church.
When two nuns came to set up a school, they learned of the need for a hospital. With
The aid of two more nuns, a hospital was opened in a rented 14 room house in Salt Lake
City. There were beds for 12 or 13 patients. In 1883, a new building with a 125-bed
Capacity was built."
Https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://board.upha.org/pdf/HistoryPoster/HistoryText.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwidzMPlpKfVAhWHwlQKHbTWCWQQFgggMAE&usg=AFQjCNE5GiB0iyz97fDLiSVcwQP30VgdUg

Given the small size of the hospitals discussed above, I can see how a house could easily fit into its footprint.

According to this site, the state TB hospital was built in Ogden in 1940 - that site too could be a possible candidate:
Http://www.standard.net/Local/2015/05/04/Monday-s-Memories-Hospitals
Here's a photo:
Https://dp.la/item/ef0c5259e1f3771d46e3c09e400b33bf

From what I am seeing the two best documented TB clinics were in Ogden and Salt Lake City and, from what I can see, both have been demolished and replaced with larger full service hospitals in better locations. There is still the possibility that this was a private clinic that was simply outmoded or put out of business by a second newer facility. So I don't really find the hospital bit as any particular reason for discounting this account - hopefully, the author will weigh in.
L_Melb (220 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-07-26)
No, I meant 2 hospitals demolished as that's what it sounded like to me - as if your residence was where the hospitals had been (there is a use of language my English teachers would have a fit over!)
However I always appreciate clarification - thanks! 😁
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-07-26)
Link, please?

Please, please, please with the cherry on top. 😊 😊
Caylo28 (3 stories) (16 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-07-26)
L_Melb only one structure is gone. The duplex is still there. I see it every time I go to Utah to visit family. Its right off the main road through town. I'm guessing the reason why they demolished the old hospital was because the didn't want an abandoned building on the main road.
Caylo28 (3 stories) (16 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-07-26)
Thank you all for your comments! To answer all questions in one, The previous hospital was demolished because it was in the middle of the town. The rental was built later on to accommodate the growing population. There were more deaths in the hospital but the mummy/bandaged burn victim pertained to the story so its the only one I added. I think the scary man in the other room and the man in the basement was the same man.
There are stories on here where I don't get the truth vibe but to each his own lol if you don't believe then you don't believe but thank you to those who do 😊
Argette (guest)
+3
7 years ago (2017-07-26)
Hmm.

Just not getting the truth vibe here. Too many tidy explanations.
Ann4shadow (1 stories) (36 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-07-25)
Hi Melda,

I want to thank you for your supportive and kind post the other day.
I feel better about posting my stories on here now. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the video of the orb of light off my boyfriend's phone and on to here! I hope you are well and I enjoy reading your posts! (you know I need to read you and Lady-Glow's experiences).

Be Well,

Ann ❤
L_Melb (220 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-07-25)
Once again, publish overlap! 😜
Ann has the same ICU thinking and once again, I look like I don't have an idea of my own 😕 😁
At least I now know my question wasn't simply silly (thanks Ann!)
L_Melb (220 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-07-25)
I would also appreciate some more information about the hospital - two structures built and seemingly gone seems a bit strange (but stranger things have sure happened!)
I find it odd that you mentioned the burns victim - in what I imagine was a busy ICU with various tragic cases, why would this one warrant mention in any documents?
Thanks for any help! 😁
Ann4shadow (1 stories) (36 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-07-25)
Hello Caylo28,

As Lady-Glow pointed out (who I am greatly impressed with due to her investigative skills) the part where you wrote that there was a first hospital that was destroyed and replaced by the new hospital. So when was the rental house built that you lived in?
I also question why only one man died in the ICU... I work in a hospital and people are often dying in the ICU. Perhaps other people may have died there but he became a ghost because of the severity of the trauma he suffered?
I am only trying to understand everything not trying to irritate you with my curiosity... I actually really enjoyed your story. It was enjoyable and interesting. Thank you for sharing.

Be Well,
Ann
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-07-25)
Welcome to YGS.

That sure was a spooky house to live in. 😨

I got confused about the history of the place, after you asked your mother if she remembered those events:

"She said after some digging she found out it was built where a hospital used to be. The third floor was the ICU and that a man died from severe burns that covered 90% of his body. The main floor was TB ward where many children died from the illness and that the basement of the hospital was a morgue..."

And:

"I did look into it and found out that a hospital was on the land before they built a bigger and more efficient hospital but I couldn't find anything on the satanic suicide."

Do you mean there used to be a hospital that got demolished, then the rental house was built on that land and the last hospital was built later? Or does it mean that the rental house used to be a hospital? 😕

I find a little difficult to fathom the rental house functioning like a hospital, based on your description of the layout of the place it doesn't seem like it was big enough as to house all the services you are talking about (two bedrooms on the top floor, main floor was the kitchen, living room and another bedroom, and the basement).
Do you mean the land were the original hospital was built was divided into several lots for single family houses or perhaps used like farmland with the rental like the only living quarters?

Would it be possible to provide a link about the hospital you are talking about?

I will appreciate your feedback.

Thanks for sharing.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-07-25)
Caylo28 - I always feel so sorry for children who are scared by ghosts. I had some nasty experiences myself as a child.

The episode in the basement must have been terrifying for both you and your mother.

When you speak of the "mummy", are you referring to the man seen by your sister and crying as though in pain, which you heard when you moved to your parents' bedroom? If so, did you call him that because he was covered in cloth or bandages? That would make sense if he died as a result of severe burn wounds.

The reason I am asking is that "mummy" could also be "mom" (if spelled the British way). I doubt whether this is what you meant but just for the sake of clarity.

It's not surprising that you encountered these spirits, considering the history of the property!

Welcome to YGS and thanks for sharing your experience. Very unnerving 😨

Regards, Melda

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: