You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Orbs / Lights / Mists :: Fireball

Real Ghost Stories

Fireball

 

The first of these experiences happened to my Mum in approximately 1962, she was around 8 or 9 at the time. This had a profound emotional impact on her resulting in a keen interest in Extra Terrestrials and inter-dimensional beings. However, it failed to instill in her future IT skills, hence I'm submitting these on her behalf. Mum would love to know if anyone has ever encountered anything like, or has any theories on what these events could be.

Approx 1962

Mum and her family were staying at a holiday house out in the country for a few days. She doesn't recall who owned the house, but the owners weren't present.

It was a warm day, Mum recalls being inside, when what she describes as a 'fireball' appeared in the house. She doesn't remember seeing it enter, only that it was suddenly there. The fireball was about the size of a basketball and looked to be made of orange flame. It emitted a loud deep motorised sound akin to a lawn mower or Harley. However the actual sound it made she's never heard since. It flew around the house with great agility, into different rooms, seeming to possess a conscious awareness of surroundings and how to skilfully avoid collision.

Despite being a 'fireball' Mum couldn't feel any heat from it, but not from lack of trying. For Mum, ever so thrilled by their visitor, chased it around the house. Yeup, that's my Mum.

After its short stay it flew out the open front door, past my Grandfather who yelled:

"JESUS BLOODY CHRIST!"

With Mum hot on its tail, it zoomed up into the atmosphere and disappeared into obscurity.

After the fireball left Mum became despondent, heart broken even. Sad and disappointed, she waited outside hoping for its return. Alas it was never seen again. To this day Mum still gets emotional to remember it leaving.

When I was a teenager I asked my Grandmother about this. She was reluctant to talk about it, something about "Now, what's your mother doing telling you about that?" came her reply. After some pleading and prodding she conceded something loud and bright flew around with Mum chasing it.

My Grandmother told the story from the perspective of a concerned parent, focussed on getting Mum to stay still. As her attention was on protecting Mum, she didn't exactly take detailed notes. She recalled it being loud, fast and bright. But nothing more specific. My Aunty apparently hid behind furniture and my uncles were a bit too young to know what was happening.

"...and your mother chased it! Ugh, she was a devil!" She flummoxed.

Some time in the late 1970's

By now Mum was in her mid 20's. She was home alone, it was late as she prepared for bed.

Without warning, a loud and deep humming sound started. It sounded like it was coming from directly above the house. She didn't look out the window but wasn't afraid. The house rumbled in accordance, with the floor vibrating.

She says this sound was different to the fireball sound, but again like nothing else she's ever heard. After a short while it stopped, so too the house stilled. She didn't hear anything take off or arrive, it simply started, then stopped.

As a side note this was the same house opposite the 'Green Room' house in another experience, though I doubt there's a connection.

Approx 2010

It was around Christmas time, I was staying at Mum's. I'd just gone to bed, the bedrooms are at the back of the house. Couldn't have been in bed more than a minute when the window lit up for a couple of seconds. I opened my eyes to the room being quite bright. Then darkness again. I sat up and listened, thinking some pervo was outside taking pictures. The curtains were closed and I figured it was pretty dumb to use the flash as all you'd get would be reflection. The room lit up again, it was definitely coming from the window.

Leaving the lights off, I got out of bed and ran to turn the back light on. I peered out the back window, nothing there. I ran to Mum's room (she has a view of the backyard the other windows don't) still nothing.

I woke Mum up, telling her some creep was outside taking pictures and I was going to call the police.

She said 'don't' and proceeded to tell me this has been happening for over 10 years. WHAT?!

So it goes, she could be anywhere, day or night, and something will light up for a couple of seconds. It could be anything, an entire house, an entire tree, a person (apparently I was lit up once, I had no idea!), she even saw a traffic light being 'lit up' once while waiting at the lights.

When it happens it makes her smile and she's always wondered if some kind of entity was responsible. Whatever this is, it's followed her around and seems to go with her out in public too.

I've encountered this light phenomenon on one other occasion. Again, at Mum's, this time in about 2012. I was in her lounge room, the lamp was on but it's pretty dim light. The room lit up for a couple of seconds.

The light is 'white'. But, despite this, it mutes all colours. Things don't appear black and white, but colours are noticeably faded. Also this light casts no shadows. There's no direction to it at all, even when I first saw it through the window. I knew it was coming from the window because the curtains were glowing brighter, but the light had an oddness I couldn't place. That oddness became clear on my second encounter with it; altered colours, evenly distributed light with no shadows. Another thing I noticed was a subtle 'click' sound when the light appears, then another 'click' when it disappears.

Mum's not worried about any of this and neither I am. But just what the heck is going on here?

Mum has felt for years that all the phenomena mentioned here is connected to ET's. However, I theorised the lights we've both encountered may be an elemental spirit of some kind. But an elemental who follows Mum out in public?

The loud humming over the house, which she experienced in the 1970's, I wondered about a helicopter. But she's adamant it sounded nothing like this. Unfortunately she never asked the neighbours and none of them mentioned anything.

The fireball, to me, is most intriguing. Especially since it still makes her emotional today. She considers this fireball encounter a very positive experience up to the point where it left. I should stress also that her giving chase is just the sort of thing she'd do. It's not like the fireball had Mum in some hypnotic trance or anything. Mum chased it because she wanted to make friends with it. As my Grandmother put it "She's a devil".

Maybe if she didn't give chase it might have stuck around longer!

Thanks for reading.

As a footnote, while recalling the appearance of the 'light', it occurred to me it's very similar to what I remember of the light in another experience titled "Chalk Man". But Chalk Man didn't light up the entire room, his light didn't carry far. The similarities are no shadows, muted colours and a dull white light. However, the light from Chalk Man, if I've remembered correctly, was much, much dimmer. There's nothing more to formulate a connection but it's intriguing none the less.

Other hauntings by Tweed

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Tweed, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-08-04)
Tweed,

I think in G's case, she had decided to substitute mysterious lights/UFOs for something like guardian angels. She had retained her interest in biblical studies, but I think had lost her core belief in Christianity because of her past family situation.

When she would talk about beliefs, it was always in a very New Age 'let's all move towards a higher vibration frequency,' type way. It made her feel better I guess, although that always reminded me of the spirit leaving the body at death and I avoided talking like that.

It could be the same for your mom, maybe the UFOs give her an etherworld anchor. They could step across the void at any time and visit, or help, or whatever. Always and never at hand so to speak.

Maybe also look at UFO/alien forums to see if others feel the same way as your mom? I remember reading people experiencing the alien phenomenon are made to feel special about it, but similarly highly suppressed and terrified. When they show up it's a dreading 'oh god not you again' situation seems like, but maybe those were just the ones I read.

Shelby
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-08-04)
Shelbyloree, I really appreciate your comment about the lights, that's some wacky stuff! I also agree with your observations of G's similarities to my Mum.

Years ago I saw a fictional film called 'Mysterious Skin' which got me thinking along the lines of past traumas vs wishful thinking with regard to UFO encounters.

I guess there's a tendency for some to constantly seek refuge from a perceived persisting threat and then cling to anything that resembles a solution. But UFO's aren't ever a solution for trauma, so the person persists seeking more and more UFO themed solutions. That's a real shame. Unfortunately, and this may apply to G as well, when someone thinks like this for a prolonged time it makes them extremely good at lying to themselves. This might explain why Mum didn't tell me about the light flash for approx ten years, until I came rushing in panicked. She probably feared I'd find a logical explanation/possibility and she didn't want to hear of it.
When we were sat watching the TV reflection I was reminded of that Mysterious Skin film, and it prompted me to tread gently around the topic, with Mum. This may be true for G also. Sometimes when people are stuck in their ways it's the best, or only, way they can cope. I'm not suggesting we should ignore underlying mental health concerns or indulge delusions. But I guess, at certain times, file under any other belief you may disagree with. It's a fine line that's for sure.
shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-08-03)
Tweed,

Throwing this out there for you - I had a friend in college, G. She was pretty open about stuff, listened and talked about weird stuff like aliens, dreams, etc. I was trying to get to the bottom of what mom dubbed were my 'night terrors' of greys I've always had and G was always interested to hear about them. She in turn told me all about her bizarre (and extremely abusive) family/upbringing in the 60's.

I remember telling her about one 'dream' where I was roused out of bed in the current house, but walked into the hallway of one of my childhood homes. The same blue light that *you* saw had lit the hallway through the backyard window. I thought 'I'm not supposed to remember this,' and the dream shut down. That was the only time I remember encountering a similar light, if that helps. Blue-ish white that throws everything into paler shades, but no shadows.

Now G, when she came for an unexpected visit (I had moved, married, had kids) had been telling me she was seeing the stars dance around and was seeing lights in the woods following her, etc. We were both standing outside in the dark looking at the sky in my backyard. She was pointing out the stars that were 'dancing' and 'talking' to her. I just saw stars, similar to you watching lights in the TV screen from the car lights.

I discussed the visit (that had highlighted other odd, but harmless, 'quirks' she had not previously had) with her son when she went home. He said he had been trying to get her medicine and help, but his dad wasn't helping. He suspected schizophrenia, G's mom and sisters all had had it, but nothing was done for G. She had never gotten over her traumatic childhood, she still talked about it and was in her 50's.

The lights in the woods and the dancing stars were comforting to her, she felt as though she had not been totally abandoned I guess.

To relate to your mom, 'they're just checking in' could be similarly comforting. I suspect if she was having encounters they weren't/aren't as frequent as she's thinking. She's just substituting imagination for the light you also saw. I don't know, but the TV screen put me in mind of G and her lights dancing around saying Hello.

Chasing lights through the house... I don't know.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-08-02)
Abbykay, hi! You're the one who had the fireball in the forest, I was looking for your encounter the other day but couldn't find it. So very happy you replied, cause now I've found it! 😊 It really sounds like you and my mother encountered the same kind of thing, whatever it is.
I used to see a white comet like shape zoom across every winter in our neighbourhood. It looked cool, but I think there must be a logical explanation. Like kids playing with illegal fireworks. But weird orange things that seem to know where they're going really makes you wonder!
abbykay_luv (4 stories) (43 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-08-02)
Nice account here Tweed, your mum is a very lucky woman, I tell ya!. "A ball of fire" seems to be a cool thing to come across or encounter but chasing after it, nah, definitely top of my nope list.
I'm sure as hell if it were extraterrestrials, with the way your mum was chasing it, they were like, "Let's get the hell outta this place, the beings here are crazy..." Lol.
I've had my own encounter with these "fireballs", when I was a teen in boarding school. I don't know about the whole ball lightning thing but I'm pretty sure what I experienced wasn't ball lightning. The ball I encountered, orange in color, was just moving through the forest, bouncing from tree to tree, swerving obstacles and stuff. Whatever I saw had intelligence and was aware of it's surroundings. Was not close enough to hear sounds, so can't confirm nor deny that.
All the same, cool encounter there Tweed.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-08-02)
Biblio, I think for my Mum these events are a great source of comfort to her. They didn't have the most peaceful of upbringings, with an abusive father. Mum found solace in anything unusual. At the time she hoped the fireball had come to take her away from, well, from her father. I think she's carried this association ever since. Unfortunately, for paranormal research, it's difficult to sort, or extract, the facts from her emotional projections on an event.
For example, after I'd encountered the light weirdness I would ask loads of questions about it in the following days. All in the hope of finding a pattern of some sort. Perhaps I get a bit overbearing for her in my quest for knowledge. She hits an emotional barrier eventually and gets a bit defensive saying (about the light) 'They just want to say hello' and that's the end of the discussion.
Since she's told me about the light, how it's been happening for ages, it's become something she talks about regularly. However, one evening while I was with her she said the TV lit up. I couldn't tell that it did. After a few minutes she said it lit up again. The TV was off, and we were both staring at it, waiting. She said it did it again, but the only thing I saw were the reflection of headlights of a passing car. So I said just that, but she couldn't believe it. So we waited for another car to pass, same thing. It was clear we were both seeing the same thing, only interpreting it differently. Then a car passed in the opposite direction and you could see the red tail lights reflected. She reluctantly saw my point.
The light that I encountered I can imagine might light up an object, in the way that it lit up a room. But Mum can be quick to label something paranormal for deep seated emotional reasons. Getting to the crux requires a lot of tact. So, while I'm content the light thing is real, I'm sketchy as to if it can light objects in the way she believes and with such frequency.

The fireball I feel most confident about because of my Gran and Aunt. But the rest is like panning for gold lol.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-08-02)
Greetings, Tweed.

The most startling part of this account is that my first idea was torpedoed by multiple witnesses within your family who corroborate your mother's experiences (I could hear your grandfather's voice as I read it!). Even weirder is the idea that she'd fallen asleep and you had shared in the experience without her being aware of it.

Spockie's ball lightning suggestion was my second thought, but ball lightning has been observed maintaining a spherical shape for up to 10 seconds, which sounds like it wouldn't tally with you mother's description of chasing is around the house. Ball lightning does make a humming sound (though I have no idea how loud), and sometimes makes a "pop" noise when it dissipates. The one my dad saw formed over a lake during a thunderstorm; it shot across the lake's surface, passed between my dad's car and the one in front of him, stalling both of their engines, and disappeared into the bushes on the far side of the road at the cars seemed to restart without the use of the ignition keys. (The other car's restart was a hypothesis on my dad's part, as he didn't ask them; however, both vehicles stopped and restarted simultaneously.)

Following Spockie's guess, my mind went to piezoelectrical phenomena associated with earthquakes, etc. However, that would mean you'd have experienced earthquakes almost daily to tally with your mother's experiences.

I am still mystified by your mother's tranquility in accepting these events as 'normal' for her. I know we've discussed her openness to spiritual activity in some of your earlier posts, but getting used to this would be like ignoring the Addams Family's autonomous hand, "Thing." Some events are just too peculiar to ignore, and I'm still having trouble coming up with an explanation. Is it possible that your mother has a regular synaptic disfunction of some kind? That would account for her seeing people and/or objects glowing, but not for the phenomena witnessed by others. Psychic projection of neural energy as light seems like a wild leap of the imagination, but the only consistent factor in these narratives is your mother.

Damn peculiar events, Tweed, and a little unsettling.

Best,
Biblio.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-08-01)
Roylynx lol it is very interesting but it didn't happen to me, 'twas me Mum. 😊 That's pretty cool that people say they set off the fire alarm!

Jazolinlea, did your ball lightning make noise while it was buzzing about? I imagine it must sound like a loud gush of air, or something. It's freaky stuff fascinating and frightening in equal measures.
Jazolinlea (5 stories) (22 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-08-01)
I would have to agree with Spockie, though I am not sure I have ever heard of ball lightening being inside a home. I have had my own interesting experience that I have chocked off as ball lightening, but it was outside the home and traveled around the outside. It can make a sound and yes come in many colors. Ball lightening is a very interesting thing to experience.
roylynx (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2017-08-01)
Wow! What an experience!
My grandmother also told me about "hovering fires" probably same as the fireball you have mentioned! She believed that she have saw the Spirit of Fires, like the orb that I have encountered she told me that the "fire" moved around just like if it was alive and flew through the forest then disappeared.

There are some cases too that I have read that sometimes those "flying fire" will set the fire alarms on, of course as we could imagine, when the fire department reached, there is no fire...

This is another very interesting experience you had!

Blessing from São Paulo
E.Lynx
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-07-31)
Augusta, lol I'll tell her about that movie. She won't take offense, it's fine. 😊

I've run down the gamut of likely summoning queues for the light flashes with her before. She's hard to pin down in that regard. She doesn't really think, or want to think in those terms. She brushes it aside and says stuff like 'oh no they just want to let me know they're there'. But I think there's got to be some instigating detail at least. Hehe she does like to think it/they/whatever are keeping tabs on her.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-07-31)
The fireball sounds like something out of 'Batteries Not Included' - mind you, I am not saying that this discredits your moms account - not at all - that's just what I saw in my head as I read what you described. And the movie was about small friendly flying mechanical aliens... So it does fit. If she hasn't seen the movie - maybe having her watch it would being back even more details of her encounter. Again, please don't think by this that I am insinuating that your mom made this up... It can be so hard to communicate intent through text ❤

The portion about the lights is really fascinating. It does seem like something is attached to her. Has she ever tried to determine just when the light comes? I.e. Whether certain events or emotions in her life might inadvertently summon it in some way?
Maybe it clicks in and out during times of stress or happiness or sadness or during big life events?

Maybe it is all connected and the light is connected with that fireball - if it is an ET maybe they are passively studying her - watching her grow up...that's the only theory I can come up with anyway 😳
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-07-30)
Spockie, I'm so intrigued by your ball lightning theory. It's prompted me to look into the colouring of this phenomenon. I had no idea it commonly appeared in shades of orange/yellow and even red, wow! Do you know if ball lightning makes noise? As in noise while zooming about? I know it's loud if/when it 'touch downs' lol. I would think that it would behave erratically, but can it umm, I guess 'bounce' off surfaces, giving the impression of self awareness?
If I tell Mum it could've been ball lightning she'll brush it off for sure lol. She's got her set beliefs that it was something paranormal/ET related and nothing will sway that. But I find it interesting. 😊

Unexplained, I'm not sure which part you're referring to, but I can answer the same for each lol. I'm pretty lazy in that department and have never researched the indigenous history. 😳
Spockie (8 stories) (203 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-07-29)
Well, the first encounter your mother had was probably with ball lightning. It can appear inside a home or structure, sometimes when there is no storm, and behaves as if it has consciousness and purpose. If that is what it was, she is fortunate because it has been known to injure or even kill people or animals, but very rarely. Sometimes it explodes, sometimes it disappears, sometimes it escapes outside again. It is a very interesting phenomenon to me. Will o' the wisp behaves much the same way, but appears in swamps and fields, not buildings. As for things suddenly lighting up as if a flashlight or a flash bulb went off, John Keel experienced this many times during his investigation of the Mothman Prophecies, and it is associated with paranormal activity.
Unexplained (2 stories) (122 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-07-29)
Hi 'Tweed', interesting story. Do the local Kooris have any knowledge of these activities?

Perhaps the area is known by them as haunted? Might be worth investigating.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-07-29)
Thanks for your kind words Ann. 😊
The ET side of things has never been my thing either. My Mum is into all that stuff so I sort of grew up being aware of it but not really enthused by it if that makes sense. There's been a few fireball encounters on here. One in particular which seemed very similar to Mum's. From memory the OP was quite superstitious but whatever they experienced seemed like the same sort of thing. Whatever they are they sound impressive. I'd be diving under the table though. A big ball of orange flame buzzing about ain't getting no chase from me. 😆

Benny, the motor is the most baffling part of it for me. A fireball, okay maybe an elemental spirit, ball lightning, a rogue firework. Then add that it seems aware of it's surroundings, so then you can rule out firework and I assume ball lightning too. But a loud nondescript motor? That's right out of left field. As you say a probe of some sort might make sense. Actually it makes no sense to me lol, but it makes the most sense. Gah, I don't know. 😆
Benny_Lundon (2 stories) (33 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-07-29)
Hi Tweed, Interesting story,
Sounds as if it may have been "mechanical" in nature, a probe of some sort perhaps, especially showing what could be described as "intelligent" movement by avoiding objects skillfully. It would be interesting to find out just what it could be, extra-terrestrial,spiritual or man made? Either way, it must have caused great excitement.

Regards, Benny.
Ann4shadow (1 stories) (36 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-07-29)
Dearest Tweed,

Hello, I have never experienced anything like her Fireball. Nor have I experienced anything lighting up. However my older sister insists that she had experiences with alien beings. She has some experiences that freaked me out. I never fully believed her as a teenager but as I got older I kind of wonder... She has kept to the same stories. They never waiver or change facts.
I really am interested in you and your Moms story. I'm about to explore your other contributions on YGS. To you and your Mom be well.
Ann 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: