You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Girl In The Cemetery

Real Ghost Stories

The Girl In The Cemetery

 

After posting my first story about my nan visiting me, I have decided to share an encounter that my mum had a few years ago around 2001.

My nan sadly passed away at the young age of 43 when my mum was only 19 and was buried in the local cemetery. When my grandad passed 16 years later in September, he was laid to rest with my nan. This story was around that time just after the new headstone had been added, so around autumn/winter time in the UK.

My mum went to tend to their grave as she and my auntie did often. They hated seeing the grave empty or of dying flowers so they would go every few days. I'm not sure how old the grounds are but there are graves and tombs on site that are no longer legible.

My grandparents grave is in a prime spot to everything. A two minute walk from the chapel of rest, along the side of the road, front and centre of a row of about 6 other graves with many following behind. Opposite the graves are three benches and to the right of them is a bin and a water tap.

Anyway, my mum was just adding some new flowers to the pots when a girl approached her. My mum described her as being a girl in her 20s, she was wearing just a white cotton dress and asked my mum where she could get water from. My mum pointed to the one by our family grave and a few others around the site. She thanked my mum and walked away.

It dawned on my mum that it was a strange sight to see in the middle of such a cold day. She stood and looked around but couldn't see this girl. She got into her car and drive around the cemetery looking for yer, heading in the direction she went. It had only been a few minutes and no one had driven past but this girl was nowhere to be seen.

My mum believes she saw a spirit that day. Perhaps of a girl who no longer has family to tend her grave. Perhaps it was just a person grieving. It was an event that has stuck in my mum's mind for years. I believe that because she was grieving herself, she was able to become more in tune with another spirit.

Any other thoughts are greatly welcomed.

Other hauntings by Tunedin

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Tunedin, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

VeronicaMarie (5 stories) (106 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-09-01)
Tunedin, though I have no idea if the girl was a spirit or not, it's interesting that she approached your mom asking where there was water, when it sounds like the water tap was clearly visible nearby. Maybe there was something about your mom that seemed gentle and approachable, and she wanted human interaction with her.
You've painted a very lovely picture of their encounter.
Anno_Domini (3 stories) (167 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-08-28)
Tunedin... I agree with Melda. Graveyards are usually large and have lots of trees and shrubs. It may be easy to miss someone amongst the headstones. She could also have been sitting /resting on the ground.

Also I do notice that people have varying tolerances for cold. In Europe it's not uncommon to see ladies in miniskirts when the weather's in the teens (Celsius).
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-08-24)
Tunedin - Your poor mother lost her parents when they were far too young and so was she. That's very sad. I assume you didn't even get to know your nan.

Obviously I cannot say this with any certainty but the girl your mom saw was probably flesh and blood. Was there anything else "different" about her besides her clothing?

It always amazes me how some people walk around in the middle of winter in summer clothing. I know I tend to get cold easily but shorts and a T-shirt when the temperature is 15C at midday? Mind you the average winter temperature at midday where I live in the north in SA is about 18 - 20 but it can get a lot colder, depending on wind and cloud conditions. I know that isn't cold in the UK!

Anyway, human girl or spirit girl? I can't hazard a guess and obviously I didn't see her but, rightly or wrongly, I would tend to go with human.

Regards, Melda

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: