You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Our New Apartment

Real Ghost Stories

Our New Apartment

 

We moved into our current apartment in November of 2004, right before Thanksgiving. Our old apartment was about a block and a half down the road, so instead of renting a moving truck my children and I would load up the car after work and bring things over. The first time we were doing this is when things started to happen in our "new" home. There is a mud room that has a locking door and it leads to the main door of the apartment. The mud room has a lock on the door handle and the main door also has a door lock and a dead bolt.

As we were leaving to get another load, my son asked if he should lock all the locks. I told him no we were coming right back with more and to just lock the handle on the main door. We left and returned about 45 minutes later and the mud room door was locked as well as the main door handle and the dead bolt! We all thought it was weird, but kept on moving things in.

A few months later my children and I were eating dinner in the dining room and my son was talking to me (the kitchen is located behind where I was sitting) and he got this really weird look on his face. Not scared but odd. His sisters' sneakers were sitting on the floor next to the island and they all of a sudden flipped on their sides.

For months my son would not go to bed unless we were home. He said every time he would walk up the stairs he would feel like someone was pushing him down the stairs and a couple of times he did fall backwards.

Things would disappear and then reappear months later for no apparent reason.

There was another time, my husband and I were sleeping and I woke up to the smell of cigarette smoke. I do not smoke any longer but my husband does. He smokes outside because my daughter has asthma. So I woke him up to ask if he had just smoked a cigarette and he said no. I then asked if he could smell the smoke and he said no. A few days later I was telling my friend and my husband admitted he did smell smoke but didn't want me to be up all night "freaked" out.

My kids have taken to our "friend" and named him Bob.

The incident that really sticks out happened on Christmas day 2006. I was washing dishes and my son was in his room, my husband was watching TV and my daughter was running up the stairs to her room. While she was running, the light on our bakers rack would go on and off for every step she hit. I thought I was seeing things, so I called her back down and told her to run up the stairs again (by the way she thought I was crazy, I'm always yelling at her not to run in the house). And it happened again! This time my husband saw it. So, she came back down and we were all standing there and I said well maybe Bob is mad no one said Merry Christmas to him. So my daughter yelled "Merry Christmas Bob" and ran up the stairs again and nothing.

There has been dozens and dozens of things that have happened in the apartment. At times I want to investigate the history of the building but, then something in me says I don't want to know (it's just a weird feeling I get).

Other hauntings by ok

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ok, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ok (3 stories) (9 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-23)
HI everyone,
It's been awhile since I've had a chance to stop in.
Mannpower: My apartment was once a barn attached to a main house that has been completely redone some years ago. So there's no one below, above or next to us. As far as the bakers rack goes that was the very first thing I thought of too when it was happening until I went to the light and it was not touching anywhere except the base it sits on. Thank you for commenting...
Illyria: Thank you for the ideas, I'll try leaving him some cookies 😁
Illyria (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-14)
Hi OK! Thanks for your story, it just put some pressure off of me, because few stories that I read before creeped me out too much that my stomach started to hurt. But if what I'm about to say will be a bit at help I'm glad. Who you call Bob isn't a ghost at all (what some might think),it's a house spirit, most of the times they can be friendly and even protective over recidents, and like to have attention, you can try to leave in some special place some food and something to drink for Bob, I'm sure he will appreciate, and seems like the name which was chosen for him he accepted it's a good start as well.
Good Luck
MannPower (17 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-21)
I just wanted to ask; is your apartment is ground unit, or are you above another apartment? I live on the third floor, and from time to time certain rooms in my apartment will smell like cigarette smoke, which I'm pretty sure is the result of someone smoking downstairs and trying to 'flush out' the smoke by turning on their bathroom exhaust fan (which subsequentally is attached to the same ventilation system as mine, and hence causes the stench in my apartment.)

As for the other events, such as the 'pushing' and 'nudging' and the locking of the doors, I cannot practically explain without knowing your home intimately. I can say, though, that the case with the bakers rack may be a result of how hard your daughter was stomping, and the vibrations of those impacts on the hair-line circuitry in the appliance. Each time she stomped, a circuit contact could have bumped together, causing the light to flicker. This is possible if the appliance is always plugged in.
SomeoneUDontKnow (15 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-24)
ok youre stories are like some of the best in this site.

I would have moved out of that house by now allready youre brave. I look up to you 😆
littlelaura33 (28 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-22)
Great story and GO BOB! I love him already. He seems like a little boy or girl who may of had a past or and accident in your house and he or she wants to be a part of your family. ❤ ❤ ❤
rezeoth (10 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-14)
it would be better if you find out cause that way you know what happened and so you can learn what to do if he gets mad

life,love,pain it's all the same
Athena (9 stories) (222 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-10)
A friend of mine, that is very much not a paranormal enthusist, had the same experience when she moved. The house was an older Tudor and a rental.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-09)
Thank you fro sharing your story with us.

i w9uld start by placing a cross in each room of your home, especially the bed room. Pray, kep a Bible handy and read prayers from the Bible. You may ask 'it' to move on, tell 'it' to cross over where there will be peace and comfort.

From the description and the story flow, I would venture o say that this 'entity' or 'entities' mean you no harm. You may also be dealing with a residual type haunting. An imprint on the fabric of time that keeps repeating its actions over and over.
ok (3 stories) (9 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-09)
To luvparanormal: I was extremely worried at first about my son being "pushed" around. Then he told Bob one night that he was a good kid and to be nice or something to that effect (I was not home) and he feels little "nudges" now and then but nothing like when we first moved in. Take care.
Ok
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-09)
Hi.I agree with Frawin. It doesn't seem like the ghost is doing anything harmful. But it is creepy. Try praying or saying a psalm of the bible. It can help. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
luvparanormal (12 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-08)
I love these kind of stories because this happens in my home. I think your way of thinking as far as that fear for wanting to check on the history of the property or apt. Is due to that uncertainty of not knowing what it is that is going on in our homes. Your in fear that it might be something bad that just hasn't shown it's true face. I feel that you should do an investigation just to be sure. Allthough it sounds harmless and more like an entity that has refused to move on and let someone else live in his house hence locking doors after left some open, wanting someone to respond to him durring Christmas... Etc what really makes me wonder is why he pushes your son around. That really concerns me.
Please keep us posted and good luck
ok (3 stories) (9 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-08)
Hello there,
Thank you to all who have read my story. I think I might try to do some research on our apartment and see what comes of it. Bob does seem friendly, he just catches you of guard at times LOL.
Take care,
Ok
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-08)
Hello Ok.
I think it would be alright to know what the history of that apartment is. I know, you get this nervous feeling like "am I SURE I want to know any more than what I do?" But your gentleman does not appear to be a problem. More of a protector, family type ghostie. 😊
You said that your children named him Bob, I wonder if that is a name they just came up with or if they know something that they are not yet willing to share. It sounds like he just kind of infiltrated your family and is now just there as a part of it. Comforting, but a bit unnerving. I would love to see your other happenings posted on here. Sounds like you may have a few years worth.
Thank you.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-08)
ok, hi. I think you have a prankster sharing your house with you. He sounds like kind of a fun guy, harmless. You could ask him to move on but maybe he's having too much fun to leave your house! It doesn't sound like anything to worry about. Thanks for sharing your experiences, I enjoyed your story.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-07)
Hello ok. Thanks for sharing your story, I
found it very interesting. Yes, I think that you have a ghost in your home. It seems to me that it is a former occupant and all it wants is to be acknowledged. Since it seems good natured, I wouldn`t worry about it. Take care.

FRAWIN 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: