You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Poltergeists / Physical Manifestations :: Bumps in the Day

Real Ghost Stories

Bumps in the Day

 

What would your reaction be if you know that there is no one in the rest of the house but you who is in the bathroom, and you hear people walking in the second floor and hear as if someone was looking for something since you hear rattling going on? Well, that is exactly what I hear in my house. I had not heard anything for a while, I have been burning sage and I say my prayers, read the bible out loud and so I was thinking that whatever was in my house is no longer there, in other words gone, right?

Wrong! I guess I can rest assured that whatever it is, it is not harmful since all this praying is going on and it does not face it. I believe it was Tuesday 1/2/08 I was getting ready for work, my husband and son had already left and my daughter and I were the only ones left in the house. My daughter was on my bed watching her cartoons and I was putting on my makeup. All of a sudden I hear a small thump! I thought it was my dog in the kitchen, I had just out him in the kennel since he is still a puppy, while we are gone we put him in there so that he does not tear the house apartment. He tends to make so much noise to get comfy I guess (who would be comfy in a cage) but, we must do it at least until he gets older.

I know that sounds a bit harsh but I love animals and God knows I take good care of him, but anyway back to my story, so I hear the thump and as I stand still to figure out where it came from I hear it again and I realize that it is coming right above my head which is Emilie's room. I look to my right to make sure my daughter is still on the bed and she is. I just blew it off and kept putting my makeup on, then it gets worse, I hear someone going through the room as if looking for something, I walk out of the Bathroom and into the living room and look up the stairway to see if I could maybe see a shadow or something, meanwhile the rattling and thumping is still going on. To be honest with you I was so terrified to go up the stairs and see what was up there. I grabbed my daughter and left the house.

Later that day I told my husband what had happened and he did not say much, as usual trying to find a reason as to what I heard. We had dinner and as we were cleaning the kitchen, we heard a bang almost like a drum beat (thump, thump, thump) he heard it first, I noticed he stopped and looked at me and said "what was that?" I said what then there it goes again we said maybe the dog wagging his tail against something we look and he is laying there on the kitchen floor asleep, my son had a headache and had gone upstairs to sleep so we thought maybe he is jumping on the bed and the headboard is banging on the wall.

I go upstairs and he is asleep, sound asleep, I come back down and tell him and you could see the color draining from his face. He went out to check around the house and nothing, mind you the noise is still going while all this is happening. We were never able to find the culprit. I turned to my husband and said "you see I'm not crazy!" He just laughed and said "I know you're not I have had my things happened to me as well". I just about strangled him when he told me that. But, he said he did it to not worry me.

Well, this morning I heard another thump but, to be truthful I ignored it and I don't think I heard it again. So, what do you all think. Maybe a residual haunting? I did find out that the property was owned by a man who was in charge of the Central Indiana Hospital for the Insane or something like that and there were so many people that died that they would dig holes in and burry them, he had this property at the time of this.

So,it makes me wonder if maybe he used this property to burry those poor bodies and now the souls are loose. This info was provided to me by someone that has the same problems and lives in the same area and her neighbor has had them too. If any of you can help me find info on this that would be great. The mans name was Henry W. Tutewiler, Camby, Indiana, the property is now Heartland crossing and he did have a funeral home and was an undertaker with his son, Tutewiler and son that is all I have so far.

Please help!

Other hauntings by luvparanormal

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Indiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, luvparanormal, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

luvparanormal (12 stories) (268 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-20)
to sensitive1,
I would be really interested in speaking with you or email that is fine too. My email is natico15 [at] gmail.com

luvparanormal (12 stories) (268 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-20)
to signpainters,
Thank you for your information. Sorry I had not replied previously, a few things have happened and I had not been able to be on here for a while. Yes, you are correct. I did some more investigations on the Tuteweilers and you are correct you come from a very well respected family. I believe it might be the other family that you spoke of, at first I was going by what other people in the area had informed me. Please don't think that I was trying to put your family down or anything like that.
Any more info that you can give me would be greatly appreciated. You can email me at natico15 [at] gmail.com

signpainters (1 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-04-06)
Re: Bumps in the Day.
Regarding your request for information on Henry W. Tutewiler, he was my great-grandfather. Yes, he was a funeral director on Wash. St. In Indpls... He wasn't associated with the Hospital for the Criminally Insane. He was a decorated veteran of the Civil War, a successfull businessman (including a stove/mantel/tinware business, a shoe store, and a printing company) and a lifelong member of the Roberts St. Methodist Church. The Tutewiler family was active in politics, including two-term city treasurer of Indpls., parks and playgrounds commissioner, both Henry and his son were Marion Co. Coroners, Julia Belle Tutewiler was the first female school commessioner in Marion Co. The Tutewilers introduced legislation to help stop grave-robbing in Indiana. He had no ties to the Camby/Mooresville area. There is another family of Tutewilers from that area, that are unrelated. If you want to know more,reply. Also the State Historical Society and the Indiana State Library have records of the Tutewiler family. We pulled up your story when we were doing reserch for a book (that was published two years ago). We decided to reply because we didn't want people to think my great-grandfather buried anyone from the Hospital for the Criminaly Insane in unmarked graves in the Heartland Crossing area. If you are interested in seeing a 4 minute streaming video segment on Henry Tutewiler, go to Google, type in Across Indiana, episode 1810, scroll down to History Matters, Brotherhood of the Battlefield, and click on watch this segment on line. My great-grandfather, Henry W. Tutewiler was a patriotic, civic-minded, God-fearing man with the highest personal and business ethics. I am proud to be a member of this distinguished family. Sincerely, Janie B. Darling
Wicked (1 stories) (16 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-18)
OMG you mean Central State Hospital?!?! SERIOUSLY creepy place. I wouldn't trust anything associated with that place.
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-20)
Hi Luv. Now I know what you are talking about in your other stories. This is really scary and creepy stuff. Take care of yourself. Jude ❤
rjh60 (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-12)
I hear bumps and thumps in my house all the time. I'm pretty sure that my house is haunted because of all the weird things that have happened since I moved in. I know that the house's previous owner had an elderly father that died in my house so I just blame all of the noises on him lol.
metalhed16 (14 stories) (119 posts)
-1
16 years ago (2008-05-14)
That's spooky, you should dig a big hole in your yard and see if there are any bodies... May as well put a pool in after lol... Just so you didn't dig for nothing

thanks for the story!

god bless
sensitive1 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-30)
Hello there!

I also live in Heartland Crossing and my family is experiencing some of the same things and more. I would really like to talk to you in detail to compare stories. I have asked for help from a group located in Indianapolis. If you would like to compare things or share information that is being provided to me then I am more than willing to meet with you or communicate via email. 😳
sensitive1 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-30)
Hello there!

I also live in Heartland Crossing and my family is experiencing some of the same things and more. I would really like to talk to you in detail to compare stories. I have asked for help from a group located in Indianapolis. If you would like to compare things or share information that is being provided to me then I am more than willing to meet with you or communicate via email. 😳
Astral184 (1 stories) (53 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-10)
I think I agree with Ohiowatha, I would look for the more 'natural' causes as opposed to something 'supernatural' If you are praying and reading the Bible, I would imagine that would be sufficient to have sent whatever away, but since you continue to hear the noises, it might be pipes or some such thing. But in view of what you said about the bodies being buried, there could be some 'phenomenon' elsewhere.
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-10)
Honestly, I sometimes get avatars and stories confused on here. You certainly know what you're talking about. I hear you and trust you fully. I was just treating your one story empirically, but you would know better than I!

Thanks for your patience and great story!
luvparanormal (12 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-09)
Oh my Gosh! Whitebuffalo that is exactly where I live! It is called Heartlan crossing due to many different subdivisions and it is so big it's almost like a town really! The woods I know exactly what you are talking about. I did know all the info on this man except for the unaccounted bodies! I have tried to look for more info but cannot seem to find. I live in the one called "The Commons" do you see anything on that? Oh my gosh that is amaizing! I wish I could talk to you some more! Email me if you can. Please!
Thanks to the comments on the rest. I really appreciate all of them.

To Ohiowatha:
I have tried to do the exact same thing you are saying and with all the things that happened not only that day one ask himself there has to be something else. I mean look at all of the stories I have on this website!
thanks either way I appreciate the comment.
❤ 😊
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-09)
Interesting story, Luv. However, I must remain skeptical. More often than not, I think seemingly strange sounds eminating from within the walls and bowels of houses are easily explained. Houses, while they seem just like structures, are actually complex machines. There are all sorts of things running through their interior from gas lines and water pipes to sump-pumps and electrical heating systems. It is amazing to me how organic banging water pipes sound in my old apartment in NYC, but I am TOTALLY positive they are just pipes.

I have to remain objective and go with the simplest solution in most cases. I do not doubt your word in any way at all and if you are sure this is NOT just the house, then I fully believe you. BUT just going on what you've written, if I lived there, I would more likely assume there's just something going on with your pipes or whatnot. The fact that your husband is a smoker and you smell smoke is not alarming to me, either. Running up stairs making lights flicker seems pretty regular, as well. Whenever the subway rumbles by, the lights often flicker in my place, too.

Again, if you feel there's a supernatural presence in your house, then there probably is, but I always go with the simplest explanation first.

Thanks for sharing, always love your stories.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-09)
Thank you for sharing your facinating story with us, I enjoyed it very much.

As you stated, you are praying, burning sage and whatever else goes with your belief system. I would say that you are correctt, the 'entity' that is present does not mean you any harm. Odds are, it is a residual type haunting, and imprint in time that continues to repeat itself over and over again.

try asking it to leave when you hear the noises, it may not respond, but... Tell it you wish for it to cross over and move on, the noises are frightening and you would like for them to stop.

God Bless!
bbyguhrlx3 (4 stories) (11 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-09)
hey luv ! That's a really scary story. I think you really need help because if you say that you think they used to bury those some of the dead bodies on that property, you need to get checked if its safe or not. I think it's safe kcos none of you have ever been harmed right ? I liked your story. I hope you find the answers to your questions.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-09)
Hi Luv. That was a creepy story. I think you do need help. This does sound very scary. Lets hope you find some answers. I liked your story. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-08)
Hi Luv. I found too much information to post here about the sanitarium. The site is: http://www.rootsweb.com/~asylums/central_in/index.html

Pretty interesting stuff!
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-08)
Hey luv! Thanks for missing me! The big holidays kept me busy and then the darn comp decided to take its own holidays! 😊
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-08)
Hi Luv!
I must say, you live in a famous area. I have heard Mr. Tutewiler was a real interesting fellow. I have not had the chance to research fully, but here is what I know so far. I would not discount the idea that perhaps he ran a home for the criminally insane, as he was an interesting guy. But you may have two culprits in the negativity in the land.
Did you know, for instance, that in 1872 he was the City Treasurer for Indianapolis? In 1876 when his term of office was over he opened a shoe store and when that adventure was over for him (seems he had issues staying in the same occupation for very long, that did not even last ten years.) he became an undertaker, but could not seem to keep the same store front for too long. His shop was all up and down the street.
I wonder, which community do you live in at the Crossing? I am assuming, with the name of Crossing, that there are more than one community there. Though I should not assume. Near the end of Mr. Tutewilers career as an undertaker, it seems that there were a few uh, problems. His son James took over the business, but according to records, it would appear that there was a "space issue". Sounds to me as if there were (making up numbers here) 100 bodies that they serviced and there were 60 to 70 plots where bodies were entered. Now I ask you, where did the thirty to forty others go?
I have never been to Camby. But while reading your story I got a picture in my head and I was wondering if you could help me out here as the picture will not go away.
I see a long line of substantially sized houses, most being two story dwellings. Nice sized backyards, lots of "kid friendly" yards. In the rear seems to be a line of wood. Not a forest really, but a good sized plot of land with nature is going wild. Along the edge of this wood there are no fences, well, maybe one or two. In this picture, (it is hard for me to explain how I feel things, please bare with me as this may not have anything to do with this at all!) there is like an oppressive feel to the wood, even though it would appear to be a nice place to take a quiet walk.
If this picture applies to you, or rather where you live, I would check the archives for that plot of land. Something is there, or was I feel. If this has nothing to do with you, sorry, my mind must be working over time.
Please let me know!
Oh! And when you are doing any research, look up the name spelled Tutwiler and as Tutewiler. I do not know if that is important or not, but...
Thank you for your story.
luvparanormal (12 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-08)
Thanks for reading!
To Frawin:
I have been looking for info on the Funeral home and nothing is to be found. I even have someone that has been looking for her GGM who was burried by this man and still can't find it.

bellissima:
I was wondering where you were! I have done some cleasings on my property but, I think it is going to take more than that. Even after the one I did I still have things happening.
Thanks for your comments!

❤ Natalin
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-08)
Hi luv. You say the guy ran a hospital for the insane!?! That is so creepy. If not residual, then you can imagine how many restless souls there could be. Those old asylums weren't run very nicely. I've read a lot of horrible stories about the way they would treat patients, the things they thought were cures were barbaric! Since your neighbors have the same things happening on property owned by the same man, you should bless all of the land and tell the spirits to move on, they can find peace if they go. You should do the same in your house and try a smudge ceremony. Thanks for sharing your story, it was definitely a chiller!
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-07)
Hey luvparanormal. Thanks for sharing your story, it was intriguing. If as you say, he did bury some on that property{I`m sure that they were some unclaimed bodies}, there should be some record of it being a potter`s field. Does the funeral home still exist? If it does it may be possile to check the funeral home`s log. A funeral home has a large book that they write down who they have buried, their parents name and in a lot of cases where they were buried. Also a lot of libraries have the books of old funeral homes in their genealogy departments. Take care.

FRAWIN 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: