You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: He Couldn't Run That Fast!

Real Ghost Stories

He Couldn't Run That Fast!

 

My parents were married for about two years at the time of this incident. The two-bedroom house they stayed in used to belong to my mother's step-father who left it to her in his will. It was known as a semi-detached house.

The piece of land next to the house was large enough to build a second house. The grass was never watered because there was a natural underground stream. All my dad had to do was mow the lawn!

The walk from the main gate to the back of the house was quite a long one. The ground sloped somewhat, which meant that there were three high steps to climb before entering the kitchen. The back door was a stable door.

Most of the time the bottom half was left closed while the top half remained open.

If you stood on the top step looking over the bottom part of the door, you would be able to see the person inside at 'eye-level.' But if you stood on the ground outside, you would not be able to see inside the kitchen, even if you were tall.

One day my dad was chatting to my mom while she was preparing their meal. He was standing with his back facing the door. There was a knock and both parents turned to see a black man who asked for 'Miriam.'

My parents said there was not a 'Miriam' working for them. The man sounded pleasant when he thanked them, then turned and walked toward the corner of the house, which was about two metres away. From there he had to make the long walk down the driveway to the gate.

As he left my mom asked 'Didnt you notice that?' My dad replied 'notice what?' My mom said 'He wasn't standing on the step, he was standing on the ground. Yet he was looking at us straight in the eye! He must be one very tall person." That's impossible!

The 'lights' went on in my dad's head and he rushed outside to find nobody in the driveway, which was impossible, unless he had wings! Looking up and down the street, there was not a single person in sight.

My opinion is that the house was built on a grave and that man was buried there. I may be wrong but that's the only reasonable conclusion I can come to.

Other hauntings by Meldel

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Meldel, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-07)
Hi Meldel,

I have been absent from this site for a while, and am only catching up now.

Back in those days, Miriam was a common name among domestic workers. I would also assume that is who the tall apparition was looking for.

I can picture the whole setting; you have described it well. Also I can imagine your mom's surprise at someone appearing at the back door, although it was far more common in those days.

Thanks for the interesting account.
Meldel (6 stories) (39 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-09-15)
Hi Anno_Domini. It could be. I'm not sure.

Hi AugustaM. The house is not very big. It was built around 1900. My parents had one small son (my eldest brother) at the time. Many people used to employ domestic workers who helped with cleaning etc. A lot of domestic workers had the name 'Miriam' so in all probability this 'Miriam' could have been a worker in this home before. My parents never had any helpers at the time so I strongly suspect that this gentleman had some previous connection to the house. Miriam was likely also connected to this house in some way. As for his attire, my mom's eyes were glued to the face of a man who was standing so far from the door and yet he was so tall! I don't think the property could be researched as all new owners would dismiss any mention of 'ghostly activity' and refuse to have their property 'investigated'. It would be great if they would tell of any experiences they have had.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-09-11)
I hope your man found his Miriam. Perhaps she once lived or worked at the house. Could they recall anything about the man's attire? I suppose had it been notably anachronistic, those details would have been included in their account but never hurts to ask. If you are still in the rough vicinity, could research be done on the property? Was it a particularly large home that would have had servants? Granted, even smaller residences can have house keepers and nannies. Curious:) Why was it that your parents automatically assumed that he was seeking an employee of the house not a resident?

Still, I hope he has found her ❤
Anno_Domini (3 stories) (167 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-09-10)
Hi Meldel, is it possible that the person went around the house to look for "Miriam" himself instead?
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-09-09)
Hi Meldel--Really interesting account. Like the vast majority of interactions with an apparition, your parents encounter was short and sweet. I don't believe the apparition your parents encountered had anything to do with a gravesite being there. Of course that could be a possibility but ghosts don't usually haunt their graves. Seems more likely that the gent had lived in the house or "Miriam" had worked or lived there and, remembering her fondly from "the other side", this man paid your folks a visit. Clearly he associated the house with Miriam.

Your parents were lucky to have had such an up close and personal interaction with a ghost. It's unusual for a spirit to speak. Extra nice that he was pleasant about finding out Miriam wasn't there. Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: