You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Hiding Behind Innocence

Real Ghost Stories

Hiding Behind Innocence

 

It has been several months since the last time I have posted an encounter on this website. One would view it as a good thing if it has been awhile, and I do, until now.

I believe my last post took place when I was either 17 or 18. I would like to say that I have since graduated from high school, turned 19, and moved into an apartment in Traverse City, MI. During that time, everything was calm and quiet. I settled into my apartment and even got hired to work at a local Family Dollar just down the road. In my previous posts, I have always said that the spirit encounters are only occurring at my father's house. So, I had to learn to live with all the spirits that liked to "make themselves known" and eventually all of their actions were like normal background noise to me. During the month I was packing my boxes to move into my apartment, everything was quiet; no spirits.

I have been working in my new job for exactly 3 months now (September 13, 2017 marks the 3rd) and this week has been giving me chills. I usually work evening shifts and I walk to work since it is only a short mile down the road from my apartment. As I was crossing through the grass to get to the sidewalk, I hear the grass shifting quickly as if someone is running up behind me. Of course, I go instant "fight-or-flight" mode and spin around, but no one is there. So, that kind of set the spooky mood for the evening.

After my shift, I help close the store at night with my manager, so it usually dark by the time I get done. But yesterday night, after I locked the doors and ran through to make sure no one else was in besides me and the manager, I was running the dust mop along the aisles when I suddenly heard a little girl's voice right next to me. I was zoning out while sweeping, because I was exhausted, so when I heard the voice, I nearly jumped out of my skin. I looked like a loon just spinning around trying to find the source of the noise. At first, I thought it might have been the radio, because it was still on, but we only listen to one station of country music (even though I hate it) and the DJ literally has the same songs on repeat everyday, so I know all of them (unfortunately). So, with that said, not one song on the radio has a little girl's voice.

Honestly, I have no idea what the voice said. It was spoken quickly and quietly, but it almost sounded like a question. After I was done sweeping, I took the trash out and started to unpack a couple boxes of store merchandise while I waited for my manager to get done so we could leave for the night. I was hanging some Harvest decorations on some hooks in the seasonal aisle, but I needed to stand on my toes because it was up a little higher than I could reach. I felt a rush of air move past me and then suddenly something press itself against my back. Obviously, I quickly moved away, because it was the natural response to the unwanted actions. By this point, my guard was at its height, so I was constantly looking around; just wanting this damn spirit to just show itself already. Well, I kind of got my wish, but not directly. I kept seeing this tall, completely black silhouette out of the corner of my eye, but every time I turned to look at it, it would "run" behind something or fade so I couldn't see it.

I never told my manager what happened when we were finally leaving, because maybe this encounter might be the only one. But, I just want to know what this spirit is and, once again, why do they always target me. I mean, it started out as a little girl's voice, but a few minutes later the silhouette's and physical contact.

Other hauntings by JustAnotherPerson

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, JustAnotherPerson, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Jubeele (26 stories) (892 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-09-25)
Exhaustion may cause your eyes to play tricks on you, since you saw the shadow out of the corner of your eye. However, that doesn't quite explain the girl's voice or the sense of being touched. That would really scare me too. Your tiredness may also have caused your natural "resistance" to lower and make you more vulnerable at that point in time.

My mother - bless her - is a firm believer in prevention. She has made my husband and I over the years a few rosaries out of turquoise, tiger's eye, agate and jade. She actually had them blessed by a church priest. Two of them are fairly short and can be worn on the wrist like a bracelet. You can loop a long rosary strand around your wrist or the handle of a bag. It's all about the power of belief and peace of mind.
JustAnotherPerson (9 stories) (36 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-09-14)
[at] AugustaM: Oh haha 😆 Yep! I graduated high school about 4 months ago. I'm taking a some time off before starting college. 😊
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-09-14)
Durp! I realize now that when I re-read, you are 19 and likely not in school anymore - please, forgive my mistake 🙄
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-09-14)
From what I've come across, the area has a very colorful history - your research promises to be anything but boring! Maybe you could use something you find for a school project too - always a plus to kill two birds with one stone!:)
JustAnotherPerson (9 stories) (36 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-09-14)
[at] Integrist: If you have read through some of my other posts, you would see that I have already encountered "Shadow People." 😕 I mean, I could try wearing a rosary, but necklaces really aren't my thing.

[at] AugustaM: Are those links really about Traverse City?! 😲 Well, I guess I definitely will be researching then!
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-09-14)
If you don't feel comfortable just straight out asking about ghosts (I'm often too nervous to be so direct too) maybe next time you are around some of the other employees, casually bring up ghosts - mention a movie or tv show or something - then you can steer them towards personal encounters and see if any of them have had any experiences at work. Also, hit the local library for the history of the neighborhood - you may well find some leads.

I did a quick Google search and there is plenty to go on - you'll be able to narrow it down based on your specific location.

Fire:
Https://gtjournal.tadl.org/2015/a-history-of-lake-anns-disastrous-fires/

Flu epidemic:
Http://www.record-eagle.com/archives/when-spanish-flu-came-to-tc/article_7998007f-9df7-5ffb-a893-69549cb24c55.html

That's just two quick results - there have also been storms, floods, Native American activity etc
Integrist (83 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-09-13)
Hello,

This sounds like an experience with what some call "Shadow People".

When I had one run at me (I was looking at it, not just from the corner of my eye), it suddenly turned right as though not being able to come any closer. I saw such creatures before, but they were never able to come close enough to touch me. I attribute that to the blessed rosary I was won't to wear around my neck. Now, I keep one in my pocket.

You might want to consider doing so, too.
:)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: