You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: My Neighbor's House Is Haunted

Real Ghost Stories

My Neighbor's House Is Haunted

 

It was a dark stormy night I was home when the power went out. I had a candle in my room that was going to light it on my dresser. But I didn't have nothing to light it, so I took the candle with me out of my bedroom and decided to use the usually wooden stick that my mom always used to light the candle with by the gas stove top in the kitchen. But the stove top did not work because it was both gas and electric stove. So I decided to text my friend Marlena, who was at the time living at my neighbor, Mrs. Linda. So I told my dad I was going over to Linda's house to get my candle lit and then come home. But instead I ended up staying over there to hang with Marlena.

In Mrs. Linda's house, the living room was dimly lit by candle. And it was me, Marlena, and Mrs. Linda. Just talking away and then we all decided to eat some ice cream on a cone and continue talking away. Then Mrs. Linda got tired decided she was going to bed early and went in to her room at the end of the hall. She went into her bed room to close the door to sleep. And me and Marlena were continuing our conversation.

So later that night while Marlena and I were still up. Mrs. Linda came out of her bedroom sleep walking (When Mrs. Linda is very stressed or her CPAP is not working. She has the habit to sleep walk sometime.) Mrs. Linda tends to sleep walk with her eyes open and she can hear you and talk to you while it seems she is fully awake but she is still is sleeping. Marlena had to guide Mrs. Linda back to her bed and convinced her to stay in bed and to go back to sleep.

While I waiting in the living room for Marlena. I was thinking it was weird and yet scary for me to witness Mrs. Linda sleep walking for the first time. Because I never seen someone sleep walk before.

Finally Marlena came back out of the Mrs. Linda's bedroom and we continue more on our conversation until both got tired decided it was time to sleep.

Mrs. Linda's living room has two couches one that was near the wall on the left and the other was near the hallway opening. I was sleeping on the couch near the wall and Marlena was near the hallway opening. We were both fast asleep in on the couch separately until I woke up hear and big thump sound (Sound like someone was wearing boots) going up and down the hall back and forth all night long.

So I turn my head to see the hallway opening without get up. And I saw a dark old male shadow person going up and down the hallway back and forth never out toward us but always in the hallway. Making hard stomping noises repeatedly.

That is when I decided that I don't have time to investigate it and I turn my head facing the wall and fell back to sleep. By morning I told Marlena and Mrs. Linda about what I saw that night. Marlena did not care about what I said about what I seen last night. But for Mrs. Linda, she told me that she had seen what I've seen.

She said that it was an old man that would walk back and forth down the hallway very impatiencely but it never tried to knock on the door or go in any rooms. It just stayed the hallway repeating it over and over again.

She also told me another ghost that is the kitchen of her house. And the old woman in her bedroom named Mrs.Smith. And her two grandson experience when they stay over at her house too. But dark old male shadow was known as the white bedsheets ghost to her younger grandson.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Georgia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Shizuka_Hio, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

JellyBean12 (guest)
+1
6 years ago (2017-10-05)
Puthy, First of all. The ghost in hallway did not scare me enough to run away from it. And beside the ghost stay in hallway never coming out in the living room to where me and my friend was any ways. So why would I be scared anyways? It did not harm me.

And beside I have experience shadow people way before I spend the night at my neighbor's house. So I'm not scared of it.

This comment from Puthy is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-09-28)
Sorry JellyBean12, we all got majorly sidetracked for a while but did you ever get the chance to learn more about the history of Mrs. Linda's house and the reason for the hauntings there?

I watch Chinese dramas (in Mandarin and Cantonese) without subtitles too. The sub is helpful when the period dramas go into flowery court language. Glad to know you're getting benefits as well as enjoyment from the Korean dramas.

Val - the pot-stickers were yummy. I ate too many and fell into a food coma <burp>. The magic's in my dipping sauce - my husband claims it's better than the Chinese restaurants <golly gee - blush>. If you ever make it to Sydney, I'll be sure to make you some! 😘
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
6 years ago (2017-09-28)
Did I hear pot-stickers? 😲😁 One of my favorite foods! Geeze, Jubeele, you've got my tummy all excited!
Oh, JellyBean, imagine how pleased your Mama would be to hear you speak to her in her native tongue! I foresee happy tears on that day. Listening to the dramas for that reason is very sweet, and smart.
JellyBean12 (guest)
+1
6 years ago (2017-09-28)
The Korean drama I watch sometime with English sub but other time I watch it without the sub.

The English sub does help me learn what they are saying in Korean and to the point now I'm starting to understand it without the sub.
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-09-28)
JellyBean12, as I'm from a non-English speaking background myself, I know how confusing it can be when words get lost in translation. But the different ways that people express themselves and perceive the world is what makes everything so interesting; "same-same, but different".

I also want to add to what AugustaM said about the wheelchair. My husband has recently come home after two months in hospital. He has to learn how to walk again and allow the muscles in his legs to grow back, so to speak. He can walk for short distances using a walking stick, but for longer distances, he needs a walking frame with a wire-basket to carry his portable oxygen. So yes, there are certain instances when a person needs a mobility aid even though he can still walk.

Valkricry - I may have started a trend here. The dramas do have English subtitles; that's how my husband and I can follow the shows. Mum has been hooked on these dramas in Singapore. Last year, when I visited my Malaysian-born Chinese friend in Melbourne, Australia, we stayed up late all week to watch them for hours. I warn you, they can be insidiously addictive. I'm not usually a soapie fan but it gets very absorbing after a while... Oh, gotta go for now - I'm making pot-stickers (steamed-and-fried pork dumplings) for supper to serve with my special dipping sauce. Be back later. 😉 😆
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
6 years ago (2017-09-28)
Jellybean,
I'm sorry you feel interrogated. I even apologized for asking a question that had already been asked. If you take the time to read other submissions and their comments, you'll see we tend to ask a lot of questions about anything we're not clear on. It's the nature of a forum like this one, and how friendships are formed.
I totally get where your coming from with the language thing now. I have a niece and nephew who grew up in household where Russian was spoken. Yet neither one speaks or understands more than a handful of Russian words anymore. I just got confused as, since they are not fluent in Russian, they don't claim it as a language they speak, or even their 'first' (as children they did understand what Poppa (grandfather) or Papa (Dad) expected of them and would even answer in Russian.) As in your case, they too only speak, read, or write in English.
Now, I have a question about these Korean dramas you all seem to be watching... Do they have English subtitles or what? I don't even watch American soap operas or Novellas so, I've no clue how you follow them?
JellyBean12 (guest)
-1
6 years ago (2017-09-27)
Valkricry, when I was little I could speak in fluent Korean. As I got older and went to school I no longer needed speak in Korean because it was not necessary for me to speak it. Because every where require for me to speak English. So I lost the ability to speak Korean and to understand it. So now I can read Korean but I would not understand what it means.

Why are you people interrogating me? Because I feel interrogated by you all. Gosh, can people just drop it and leave it be.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
6 years ago (2017-09-27)
OOOps! Sorry, just saw lady-glow asks pretty much the same on your other story. Didn't mean to be redundant, just curious and slightly confused.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
6 years ago (2017-09-27)
JellyBean,
Forgive me but I am a bit confused. In comments here you state, your first language is not English it's Korean, but just an hour ago in a comment under your other story, "Moving to Georgia", you say, "plus I do not know a lot of Korean." 🤔 That seems very contradictory. I'm sure I'm just not understanding it right. First language, generally means the language you are most fluent in, not necessarily the place you were born. Can you clear this up for me?
JellyBean12 (guest)
+1
6 years ago (2017-09-27)
lady glow, Linda has arthritis in both knees.

P.S. She can not have knee replacement surgery due her body rejects any foreign object.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-09-27)
Oh yeah, Redwolf... I still have one of those crumby cr***y horrible awful no good very bad archaic all gas no electric stoves! Hmmm does it show that I'm not a fan? Hah! It has two pilot lights for the four burners up top and two for the oven inconveniently buried in the bottom - all can and frequently must be (re) lit with a lighter or match and often go out with little or no provocation leading to unnerving amounts of gas seeping silently into the kitchen. The (mostly) constant presence of the lit pilots also makes it a constant and significant source of heat... Not so grand in Virginia in the summer with no central air.
Apologies to gas stove lovers - I have heard all the arguments in favor of gas - I just do not like them. 😜 😊
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+2
7 years ago (2017-09-26)
Oh, Biblio, I am sorry to hear about your friend, but glad I could make you smile.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-09-26)
Thanks val. I had what I call a brain fart, you had stated in an earlier comment that you can light the stove.
Red
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-09-25)
Oh, Good Lord; I needed that image today, Val!
(It's not a good day when you have to start with a friend's funeral. She just exuded enthusiasm, compassion, & mischief 😢. She'd have loved your mental image😃). I've heard of people "taking a nasty spill" in relation to cycling accients, both here & in the U.K.; it's a colloquial expression I think needs to be maintained in current usage. It's a great metaphor to conjure up a complete lack of coordination as rider and bike part ways in a humiliating display of momentum vs entropy.

Rook, it's not letting me "upvote" you at the moment; I've been a bit quiet of late, but I've been adding to the Karma points when I see good advice... I knew exactly the image you had in mind; my favorite of those strips has Snoopy bashing away on his typewriter with every cliche he can think of: "It was a dark and stormy night. A shot rang out..."
Best,
Biblio.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
7 years ago (2017-09-25)
Biblio,
I had no idea they were called spills. To me a spill is a liquid mess or falling off something (He spilled off his bike.) I'm really not sure if that's colloquial or what, but given that, you can imagine the imagery in my head to think, "He took a spill from the back of the stove."
Red, yes you can still light the burners.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-09-25)
Back in the bad old days that the gas would still flow through the pilots you could light all of them with matches. My mother used to do this and put a roasting pan full of water in the oven (after the oven was warm enough she would crack open the door) and pots on the back burners to heat the kitchen. The new ones I know you can't light the oven but I think you can still light the pilot lights for the stove but I'm not sure because I have had to deal with having only electric appliances for nearly 19 years.

I want to know about her being able to walk without pain when she is sleeping myself. When I have pain it keeps me awake unless I take a half a sleeping pill and even then it will keep me awake sometimes even if I take a whole one.
Most people on this site that deals with pain will agree with me that they would wake up rather than sleep walk.

Red
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-09-25)
Biblio,

Thanks for that. 😉

I guess I placed that particular comment incorrectly. I did not mean to use it for 'support' that the O/P's (Jellybean) submission may be 'fake' or 'concocted' in any manner. I had just finished my comments to Jellybean and could not get the image of Snoopy sitting on top of his dog house with his trusty typewriter attempting to start his version of the great American novel.

I did not realize that both 'quotes' had been penned by the same author, so thanks for that bit O' knowledge.

Respectfully,

Rook
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-09-24)
Greetings, JellyBean.

I hope you don't mind if I elucidate a few points that were raised in the comments by some of our regular contributors.

Rook: The originator of the phrase "It was a dark and stormy night" was Edward Bulwer-Lytton in one of his earlier novels (perhaps earliest?) as he was using the first line to set up the Gothic setting. This line has been mocked for nearly two centuries, now, as hackneyed purple prose. Sadly, most people have no idea that the same writer is responsible for "the pen is mightier than the sword."

Val: Those long, thin sticks for lighting gas stoves, candles, etc., are called "spills."

Just trying yo be helpful,
Biblio.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-09-23)
JellyBean: could you please be more specific about Linda's illness? It's remarkable that her pain disappears when she is asleep since, usually, pain is the cause behind many people's insomnia. 😕
JellyBean12 (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2017-09-22)
Marlena is Linda's adopted daughter. And Marlena and I are not the same age. I'm older then Marlena.

She come to stay at Linda's house for a visit before she goes back to college in Louisiana.
JellyBean12 (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2017-09-22)
As for the stick and candle. I was going to Linda's house to get my candle lit because I didn't have anything to light it with. And I thought I could use the stove to do it but since it is part electric. I could not do it because the electricity is part the pilot that cause a small spark to make the fire. And my electricity was out at the time. I was going to use the stick to put the fire on it but the stove did not work so I decided to go to Linda's house and ask her to light my candle and then I was going to go home.
JellyBean12 (guest)
+2
7 years ago (2017-09-22)
Sorry lady-glow. I'm not a teenager and I'm 30 years old adult.
JellyBean12 (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2017-09-22)
Little more about myself.

I was born in South Korea. I live in the state of Michigan with my grandparents on my dad side of the family.

Then I moved to Georgia with my parents and siblings.

And I have live in Georgia for a very long time. And I don't plan on moving to another state.
JellyBean12 (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2017-09-22)
The shadow person took on the form of an old man. And there different people with different vision of the same entity.

I'm the only one who saw the shadow person as an old man.
JellyBean12 (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2017-09-22)
Rook, your are correct. My first language is not English. It's Korean.

I have hard time wiriting things in English due to I have two different minds. One is Korean and the other is English. Both of those mind coming together at the same time can cause me to be really confused and sometime can cause me to have a headache.

When Mrs. Linda sleep walks with her walking improves because she is sleeping and does not feel any pain. Only when she is a wake that she she does feel it.

I live right across the street from Linda's house. So it is easy for me to go over there really quick after the storm and come back home.
Whodat (42 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-09-20)
Hello everyone. I don't know JellyBean12 personally, but I'm familiar with the area of western Georgia that she hails from because I've had family there in the past (they're all gone now). Let me come to her defense by saying that sometimes our grammar isn't the best, even after we've grown into adults. It's common for people in Georgia to use "women" in place of "woman" in written speech (not so much in verbal speech though). Anyway, several grammar patterns in her story seemed perfectly normal to me, even if they were grammatically incorrect. Hahaha. Most of us type out exactly what we would say if we were speaking, so you may even see the word "thank" in the place "think" when reading one of our stories. We're colorful people who don't always follow every rule. 😜
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-09-20)
Lady-Glow and others,

Found it...

At the end of Jellybeans very first submission they stated this...

"Now, my age of 30, I'm in my bedroom finishing some things off of Facebook and getting ready to record this new Korean drama called My Sassy Girl. "

Me thinks they may be... Or at least speak... Korean as a FIRST language. That about covers it I think.

Let us return to the reported facts with-in their submissions...

Respectfully,

Rook
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-09-20)
From JellyBean12's profile:

"Just 30 year old women who likes reading paranormal things."

Being a non native English speaker I'm not the right person to point out at grammar mistakes but the O/P's writing style seems to be of a person much younger and whose first language is not English... More like a teenager who likes to read paranormal things and dreams of becoming the next Stephen King. 🙄

Just saying.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-09-20)
Yup the 'gas-electric' stoves are a real thing... Yes you CAN us a long straw or a fireplace match to light the burner. This type of stove is safer than a 'gas only' stove because there is no 'pilot light' (fueled by gas) to go out. Once upon a time if your pilot light went out that small amount of gas that supplied it would leak into the house causing all sorts of issues.

The stove type is real, the fact that Mrs. Linda could sleep walk is plausible...

To be honest its the 'grammar'...the sentence structure... That really has me wondering... Granted these experiences say Georgia HOWEVER that does not mean that is where they occurred NOR does it mean the O/P was born and raised in the U.S. Again its the sentence structure that makes me wonder where the O/P is from.

Respectfully,

Rook

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: