You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: A Simple, Subtle Greeting

Real Ghost Stories

A Simple, Subtle Greeting

 

I'm a sucker for anything related to the paranormal. My favourite movies involve the paranormal. I love how mysterious it is, how much we don't know. Most of all, I love the thrill of being scared. But to me, this thrill only came from movies and books.

Less than a week ago, my mother brought me and my younger brothers to a location in southern Calgary called the Deane House. This house is nothing new to me, as I had visited it a couple of years previously. My story begins in the attic, the scariest part of the house. The manager told me that a fourteen-year-old boy committed suicide in the attic due to his epilepsy. I don't find this story as entertaining and the lady in the rocking chair, or the bloodstain in the closet, but unlike the other two, this is actually true.

I sat on the porch eating my caesar salad (which tasted like dog poo, by the way) holding my camcorder and listening to the business men and woman at the next table chatter away on the subject of carpets and kitchens. My brothers where running around the old house, and avoiding their doggy-poo salad while my mother sat eagerly awaiting their arrival. Of course, they eventually came, and I was as bored as hell. With the majority of my salad finished I thought, "Wouldn't it be cool if I spent a while in the attic alone?" I turned on my camera and started narrating my way up the stairs ("nothing says history like grip tape on the stairs...")

I came to the attic doorway, slowly twisting the knob as to not damage the door. The boarded floor creaked under each step I took. As I climbed the attic stairs, the creaking was louder. The higher I got, the colder I felt. As I approached the last step at the top I heard somebody say, "Hi..." That was it. A simple, subtle greeting. I whizzed around, as if this noise came from directly behind me. I was terrified. My legs shook uncontrollably. A bead of sweat rolled down my forehead. I stood there, body twisted towards the stairs, a terrified look on my face. I was alone. Completely alone. What I heard I cannot explain. I was so scared. It all happened in a matter of 26 seconds, and I caught it all on film. The part that disappoints me was that the "Hi" I heard is almost completely silent in the footage yet it sounded so clear to me.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Jesse, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Cirdan (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-11)
Nice story, and I'm sorry that I don't believe the "Hi". It might have been cold because... Attics usually are cold? There are nothing to give heat in a regular attic so of course it would get colder.
But thanks for the funny story though 😊
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-10)
I think when you climbed those stairs to the attic, your subconscious was determined there would be some sort of encounter. I believe you believe you heard this so as not to disappoint yourself.

Thank you for sharing your story, I do feel bad that your salad tasted of 'dog poo', no one should have to endure that, although I do not know how 'dog poo' tastes. (Sorry, my futile attempt at humor there.)

God Bless!
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-10)
Hello Jesse. Thank you for sharing your story with us. I believe that Bell and WB has pretty well pegged it. I too believe that you wanted "something" to happen so bad that you let your imagination run away with you. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
Athena (9 stories) (222 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-10)
Wow! That is really interesting that you heard the hi clearly, but the tape did not catch it. I wonder why that would be? Thank you for your funny encounter!
Ramzey (9 stories) (130 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-10)
Experiencing the paranormal is exciting. I do hope you enjoyed it. Did it make you think you just thought you heard something? I know that feelin'... 😁
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-10)
Hello Jesse.
I think you may have set yourself up TO experience something paranormal so your mind just gave you that experience.
Thank you.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-10)
Jesse. You were there, only you really know what happened. Maybe I'll just leave it at that. I did enjoy reading it though.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: