You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Phantom Phone Ringing

Real Ghost Stories

Phantom Phone Ringing

 

I can't specifically say how long this has been going on but I do know that I'm the only person to hear it.

Oftentimes I will be sat watching tv or working on my laptop and out of nowhere, I'll suddenly hear a very old-fashioned phone ringing. I know it's old-fashioned because it sounds exactly like an old phone we USED to own, you know the ones with the curly cords and the very specific ringing sound? The ones you could slam down in anger to cut the call? Yeah, it sounds like one of those.

No one else in the house, including the cat, has heard it. I even made a point to mute the tv volume once while I was hearing it and said: "hey can you hear that?" Nope. Nothing. Nada. Ziltch. No one could hear it except me. What gives?

It doesn't sound close, and it doesn't sound as if it's in the house, it sounds as if it's coming from "somewhere" but I don't know where. The walls are not that thin for me to be able to hear the neighbours phones ringing, the neighbour on the other side doesn't even own a phone for one to be able to ring, and obviously, a house phone wouldn't be outside so I'm perplexed as to where this sound is originating from and why I'm the only person able to hear it.

My only two guesses are as follows:

That I'm hearing something residual replaying itself in a loop like a broken record except it only happens when the conditions for said residual energy to play are correct.

Or secondly, that I'm hearing it ringing from another timeline/alternate universe (which seems a little far-fetched).

Any ideas? I'm stumped.

Other hauntings by lilpeachyghost

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, lilpeachyghost, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Welcome2myfreakyfreakshow (1 stories) (4 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-02-07)
So this just happened to me. Sounded JUST like a landline phone, only rang twice with the perfect space in between each ring to be a landline phone. I have ringing of a high pitched noise in my ears sometimes just the right and sometimes just the left that is not tinnitus. I will also sometimes hear music or like a tv playing at low volume or two people having a conversation. I have clairaudience, whether anyone believes that is up to them. However this is the first time I heard a phone ringing.
Dennis191 (1 stories) (36 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-06-11)
Well it has to be someone's phone...
Or (joke warning)
The last conversation was ended with slamming the phone down in rage, and it was never used again and so the rage remained with the phone, and you've been hearing the ringing as a sinister reminder of that last conversation... *as the phone sits covered in dust someplace, laughing or better said ringing in its evil voice.* 🤣 okay I am sorry if that was a bit much, but I could not resist. On the serious note, it does seem to be weird that no one else noticed the ringing.
lilpeachyghost (12 stories) (21 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-05-17)
Still experiencing it but not as often. I still can't find the source but I've chalked it up to a neighbor, possibly hard-of-hearing who has the volume on their landline phone up high and the ring tone on it set the same as an old one for, I don't know, nostalgia? I can't see it being paranormal anymore, it's been going on for far too long now.
Three (1 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-02-05)
I have been hearing an old phone ringing too. It rings more than twice though. No one answer it. I can't tell exactly where it's coming from. It's the old kind of phone though and it rings loud like barrrring,,,barrrring,,,barrrring. It's got a quality to it that's unmistakably an old landline. Oh and I have heard it in multiple various places late at night. Did you ever find the source of the ringing?
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-02-25)
This is really interesting! Any updates? I'm curious if you're still experiencing it. I know exactly what you're describing; we used to have the same phone. I remember "slamming that phone down in anger" too; it was strangely satisfying Lol

I was going to suggest what a previous poster commented too; It may be a spirit reaching out.
robmkivseries70 (1 stories) (35 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-02-25)
I had my cell phone, as I looked at it, ring in a dream. Looking later, the phone had not actually rung so it was all in the dream. The sad part was that it angered me so much at having my sleep interrupted I woke up. I wonder what I missed. 😕
Rob
Kellikzard (1 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-01-21)
Thank you for your post. The same thing just happened to me today, and since I was home alone it scared the daylights out of me. As my home is over 100 years old, and no phone lines remain intact, I can only surmise that it is some type of residual haunting. No doubt it will happen again, I plan to try and record it next time.
Rex-T (5 stories) (288 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-11-10)
lilpeachyghost, have you had any luck tracking down the source of the ringing? I must still be subconsciously looking, as I've heard those bells a couple of times and looked around to see where the sound is coming from. Unfortunately mobile phones both times.

Jayejay, what a waste of talent - a carpenter who knows something about phone lines. To risk pulling a prank like that tells me the carpenter did not have a good relationship with the house owner.
jayejay (1 stories) (4 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-11-10)
Hi lilpeachyghost, I am not suggesting this is what happens, but after reading your story I came to think of a thing that happened locally where I grew up.
While renovating a house, a carpenter left an old phone in the wall, and rang it at random times, as sort of an evil prank.
Apparently it was quite easy for the home owner to identify where the noise came from, and it ended up with someone loosing their job.
frangelica1 (40 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-11-02)
Hi lilpeachyghost - I was wondering based on it only being 2 rings if maybe a loved one that has departed is trying to let you know they are around you or needs you to pay attention to something at that time.

I had something similar happen to me many years ago with a phone that was disconnected and with no phone service at the house, that really scared me at the time. But now after becoming more familiar with signs from our loved ones, wonder if a loved one is just trying to get your attention?

Anyway, just thought I would share that possibility, especially since you are the only one hearing it. Our loved ones on the other side really love to use telephones and other electrical things to make us aware of their presence and to say hello!
lilpeachyghost (12 stories) (21 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-10-28)
Thanks for replying everyone, I just want to clear some things up.

Firstly, I don't have tinnitus, the ringing is not constant and it's not a ringing as in a bell ringing or a high pitched sound in my head. It's very hard to explain but I know 100% that it's outside of my head in the real waking world. I just can't find the source of it. Also, each time I hear it, it's exactly the same. It rings twice and then stops abruptly and I don't hear it again for another few days/weeks or even months.

Secondly, I know for a fact that none of my neighbours have home phones anymore and even if they did, the walls are far too thick for me to be able to hear it ringing especially when we have the tv on and such.

There's no landline/house phone in my house anymore as everyone in my household has a mobile and I know what they all sound like and which ringtone belongs to which phone, and they sound nothing like an old-fashioned cord house phone (the ones you see in movies when they hold the phone between their ear and their shoulder and twirl the cord around their finger or pace up and down but can't move far because it's attached). So even when I hear the old-fashioned phone ringing, there's no landline for me to pick up and "answer".

Maybe the next time I hear it I should try and see if my cat hears it too because it's obvious none of my human family members can.
Rex-T (5 stories) (288 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-10-27)
Thanks for sharing your experience. The description of the "old-fashioned phone ringing" takes me back to the late 70's and 80's where, as a young technician, I was fixing faults on telephone lines in Australia. The problem you're having is similar to what we used to refer to as 'Phantom Calls'.

I've heard mobile phones that sound like an old set of bells ringing on incoming calls. It is possible that one of your neighbours could still be the source of your problem, but this doesn't explain why only you hear the ringing.

You may have a better range at hearing low frequency noises than most people or cats.

Also, have you ever picked up the phone when you hear the ringing? Does the ringing stop? Is there someone on the line? Intriguing!

I should let you know, that with all our technology, we still walked away from a few 'Phantom Call' cases with no logical explanation. So please keep enquiring 'the truth is out there'. Just have fun along the way.
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-10-27)
Lilpeach, I suggested seeing a doctor because I suffer from tinnitus too. When it gets quiet, the ringing becomes more noticeable. It seems as if an appliance or machinery nearby has been turned on and is emitting on some subsonic frequency that rattles my eardrums something horrible.

I think it's better to eliminate a physical cause first before moving on to other possibilities.

***Aw, babygoatpuller <blush>...I'm still a 'young' Padawan, learning from the experience of yourself and many others here. 😳
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-10-26)
Jubeele already gave my suggestion lilpeach, but she does that a lot. 😆

A few years back I was hearing a low level rumbling noise, especially when it was quiet. I couldn't figure out where it was coming from and nobody else could hear it. I finally went to my ENT and he said it's tinnitus. It's annoying as all hell but I'm used to it now and I know it's not some phantom tractor. Ringing is a classical sign.
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-10-25)
Hi lilpeachyghost, it's certainly strange. Is the sound high-pitched or like bell tones? Do you find it more obvious at night when background noise quietens down, or is it intermittent throughout the day and night?

Ringing in the ears, especially if you're the only one hearing it, could be due to a medical condition called "tinnitus". It happens when there's damage to the inner ear. You may wish to see a doctor to check it out, just in case.

Or, you may indeed have developed a mystical antenna to some phantom radio station - do you suppose they take requests? Just kidding. 😜

(p.s. I like the cute "spirit kitty" on your profile 😊)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: