You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Hotel Divinus - Debrecen

Real Ghost Stories

Hotel Divinus - Debrecen

 

Hungary is a great country but most folks olny know it from BudaPest. While Debrecen is the 2nd largest city in Hungary, few have ever heard of it and even less have ever been here. Debrecen is on the far eastern side of the country and to get here you typically fly into BudaPest and either take a limo or train 3 hours across the entire country. Debrecen is a rather quiet city with a university and a few manufacturing sites nearby. I happen to work for a company that owns a facility here in Debrecen so I come here on annual business trips. Each time I have stayed at the Hotel Divinus (a total of about 15 trips). While I do not always have experiences here, I have had a few and it is well known within my company that the hotel is haunted.

Most of the stories originate from the 5th floor and it is interesting to note that I no longer see any occupied rooms on the 5th floor when I visit; there is no light coming from the windows and the hallways are always black. While I have never stayed on the 5th floor, I have had three distinct experiences on the 2nd floor.

The first was a few years back and occurred in the very room I am typing this story from right now. By the way - I have been in this room for 4 nights and nothing weird so far.

My first experience was pretty awesome. To set the stage... I arrived in October (same as this trip) and the room was hot. In fact, this is my biggest complaint about this hotel - it is hot and the air conditioner never functions. To compensate you have to open the windows but at night it gets really cold so you end up either freezing or sweating - the choice is yours. Another thing that can be annoying is that they burn the fields here so sometimes you have pervasive smoke to deal with as well. So here I am, trying to get to sleep and I have the window open. It gets too cold for comfort so I close the window and the temp quickly climbs to close to 80 degrees. To help I strip down naked (I know - Too much information!) and I am know lying face down on my bed. The hotel uses duvets - even in the summer - which are hot and heavy. I have my duvet hanging out at my knees so I can try to stay cool yet have the duvet handy just in case. As I lie there trying to get to sleep, yet still wide awake, the duvet is pulled up over my backside and comes to rest in the middle of my back. Folks - the windows are closed, the a/c fan is a joke and the duvet is heavy. You tell me what just happened because I sure as hell can't figure it out. Now I am totally awake but it takes a lot to get me rattled so I just lied there with my senses heightened waiting for something else to happen, but it never did. So within a few minutes I fall asleep and never get bothered again on that trip.

A few years later and I am on the 2nd floor but in a different room. Yup - still hot as hell inside and cold outside. I am lying in my bed trying to fall asleep when I hear a male voice, clear as day say something to me in a low voice in words I could not comprehend. Could these have been voices from the hall? I seriously doubt it because it sounded like whoever said it was lying right next to me and said it within inches of my right ear. Again, I don't scare easy so my first reaction was to say "WHAT?". Nothing else happened and I fell asleep.

Then just last year I was on the 2nd floor but this time I was all the way down at the end of the hall - I think it was room 202 or something. I had been there for several days with nothing occurring but I did notice that I was the only person this far down the hallway. Anyway it is my last night there before heading back to the States. My limo is going to pick me up at 3:00AM so that I can catch the 7:30 flight. I am fast asleep when all of a sudden the fire alarm goes off. Not the smoke detector in my room, the fire alarm in the hallway - loud as hell! I have been in a hotel fire before so I know that this is nothing to ignore. I whip the covers off of me and as soon as my feet hit the floor, the alarm stops. I wait there for a few moments just to make sure nothing else is going on and after it stays quiet for a while I go back to bed. Just as I fall asleep, the alarm goes off again and just like before as soon as my feet hit the floor it stops. Now I am annoyed! I try to go back to sleep but this time it takes a while, but when I do the alarm goes off for a 3rd time. This time I said "go to hell" (verbally) and lied there in my bed. Not only did the alarm continue, but this time I also hear the air handlers kick in. You know the big "whoomf" sound - not the a/c fan. So I pull off the covers, put my feet on the floor and it keeps going. I turn on my lights, walk to the door to the room, turn the knob and just as I open the door - the alarm & air handlers shut off. I turned to my right and a dark shadow of a woman walking towards me but without my glasses I don't know what I am looking at. All I know is that I am standing in the doorway half naked and I have not had a noticeable physique for many years. Back in the room I go, but now I am so POed there is no way I am going back to sleep, so I showered, got dressed and watched TV until my limo showed up. When I went to the front desk to check out I asked them what happened and the gal just sort of shrugged her shoulders. I asked her if that was the hotel fire alarm and she said "yes". I then asked if they all went off and she said "No. Just the one at your room". I then asked why she didn't come down the first time and she said "I don't like to walk down there at night".

I have three more nights to go and I always wonder what might happen next.

---------

Now, as I have said, it is well known in my company that this hotel is haunted. Let me tell you a quick summary of what happened to co-worker of mine; this is too much for me.

He had to be here for an extended time - 5 weeks - and they put him on the 5th floor (this was many years ago). He had three separate experiences during that time that I know of. 1st was when he had just moved in. He unpacked all of his suit cases and put it in the borough - he also placed his cases in there as well. He went to work and when he returned he opened the door to his room. All of his clothes were lying on the carpet; his suites were also out and opened up. He went to the manager and they said that there was no one in his room that day. Several days later he returned from work and when he opened the door, his furniture was in disarray. Chairs, desk, nightstands - had all been moved around. After a few more days he returned from work and found 2 dead birds lying on the floor with their heads twisted. Of course the windows were shut, just as he had left them. That night he said cleansing prayers and tried to talk with the spirit. He said something like "I know you are here, I mean you no harm, please leave me in peace and I will leave you in peace. Yadda yadda yadda... Nothing else happened for the rest of his trip.

Cool place huh?

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, jeffinaustx, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

AngieJo (1 stories) (13 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-06-14)
I love stories about haunted hotels...however...has your Employer ever considered letting you stay at a different Hotel? 😁
Avocado052 (1 posts)
+5
4 years ago (2020-06-13)
These are really scary 😨
My school is near the hotel and there are some paranormal activities as well. Not much and not scary at all, but isn't normal at all. In the 3rd floor after 4 o'clock the lamps sometimes just turn off. And sometimes there are footsteps in the restrooms when we're alone. It's kind of scary when no one is there.
Dennis191 (1 stories) (36 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-06-11)
Cool. I might have an idea which hotel you're talking about, meaning I think I've been to or heard of it before, but not 100% sure... Either way, it's creepy.
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+5
6 years ago (2017-10-31)
jeffinaustx- This was a good read. Thanks for sharing. I think I'd have probably said, thanks but I'm warm and don't need the duvet. But if you want to be helpful, fix the dang a/c! 😆

Going into a place that's known to be haunted can really take a lot of the fear factor out of it. You handle yourself well and have a great attitude about the whole thing.

I think I'd be more inclined to ask the hotel staff more questions about the hauntings. Maybe they can give you some info as to who or why it's so haunted.

Thanks again for sharing.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-10-27)
jeffinaustx - Why don't you ask to be booked into a different hotel or are the others worse?😨

I don't think I'd get much work done knowing what was waiting for me at my temporary home!

Regards Melda
Benny_Lundon (2 stories) (33 posts)
+5
6 years ago (2017-10-27)
Hi jeffinaustx, welcome and thanks for the great read.
I know I'd have launched out of bed if the duvet made a move on me like that, creepy stuff 😨.
Wish I had the money to visit that Hotel, enjoy the rest of your stay there and let us know if anything happens.
Regards, Benny.
annie16 (13 stories) (53 posts)
+4
6 years ago (2017-10-27)
jeffinaustx. How utterly facinating yet deeply chilling. Have you ever done any investigating into the Hotel? I also don't scare easily, but I can tell you that if my duvet covered did that to me I would run, call me chicken if you must. Love your writing style.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: