You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Spooky Room In Thailand

Real Ghost Stories

Spooky Room In Thailand

 

Weeks ago I was off with my very close friend to Thailand. It was the first time for us to travel that far away from Brazil, the first night was always the hardest... We both suffered jetlag and could not sleep...

We have both checked-in to our room and I went and took a shower. I found that there were some hair in the bath tub, I shook it off and thought that the house-keeping whom came for the room make-up must have been lazy.

After taking a shower I realize that my friend was looking at something behind the picture that was hanging on the wall.

"O que é isso?" (What is it?) I asked my friend. She turned around and made a "Yikes!" face.

"Hã?" (Like huh? Or something like that) She pointed at the behind of the picture signed to me that I had to come see it.

I looked at it and it seemed to me that it looked like an amulet. I told her that it may be something cultural in Thailand to put an amulet behind a picture.

"você tem certeza?" (Are you sure?) She asked. I told her that I will ask the front desk what that was about. We chatted through the night and got readied for the next day

The next day, I ask one of the hotel staff if there is a custom in Thailand to stick an amulet behind a picture, "No, but some people believe that if you find an amulet behind a picture in a hotel room, then that room is where some people had passed away. But don't worry, our hotel is safe. Have a good day, sir! Have a good day, madam!" and so we shook it off and went to eat our breakfast. (Half of it was because he had a quite heavy accent and we wanted to get away quick because of starvation lol)

We went to the famous temple and I tried to seek for information about haunted spots in Thailand, most information that I got was prisons and war-grounds, where none of tourists like us could reach. My friend was sleepy all day and had been sleeping in the bus when we are moving in-between spots (tourist spots). When the bus stopped, my friend woke and said "Roy, lembre-se de que a equipe disse que nada aconteceu? Mas encontramos o amuleto, certo? Ouvi falar desses rumores também." (Roy, remember the staff said nothing happened? But we found the amulet, right? I have heard of those rumors as well.) I teased her and said to her that she was thinking too much, as I will always advice people in this case, I told her "Não deixe o medo te conquistar" (Do not let fear conquer you), she nodded in a bad mood, I wonder if she disagreed my point or just sleepy.

We went back to our hotel to enjoy a dinner concert of an infamous local band (or are they hotel's band?) Old classical music and songs of the 90's, my friend said that she wanted to go back to the room and so we finished up our dinner and took a bottle of red wine up to our room to enjoy (it was cheap so we wanted to have some mood, we did not win a bingo game or any lotto tokens, oh yes we were in heaven lol).

As we went up to our room, by the elevator, I felt that something was watching us. I thought I was a little drunk, and told my friend that I may have only 1 glass for that night. When we reach our room both of us felt a temperature change, it was very cold. I thought it was the air conditioner and so I switched it off for a while. The room was still very cold and very I could feel something was watching us.

My friend made the "see?" face and she was packing and got ready to move, I did not know what to do and so I packed my things as well and called the front desk to request for a room change. We called out the duty manager and explained our situation to him and had told him about the amulet behind the picture.

The staff quickly arranged our new room and we moved along with them. We moved to a bigger room with better facilities. There was a balcony where we can see city view of Bangkok. My friend was happy about it and had quickly forgotten about what had happened (at least it seemed she had forgotten about it).

Days after when we were back to Brazil, I told some of my Asian friends about what had happened. Most said that the room is haunted, when they hear that part about the amulet. A few said that if we find hair especially long hair being cut off and spread around most probably someone could have had an incantation ritual (Thai black magic) in the room. I did a research too about the hotel that we stayed in; there is news back in the end of 80s that there was a fire in the hotel and 13 guests were killed...

No matter what, the first room that we stayed was indeed spooky, the hair left in the bath tub, the amulet behind the picture, sudden temperature changes, the feeling of someone watching... All that. Our trip was good but just a little eerie.

I guess for those of you whom are really curious had already guessed which hotel we stayed in, please do not name it, I feel that the staff there is trying their best to rebuild everyone's trust until today, just pray for the victims of the fire and hope they can rest in peace.

Love from São Paulo

E.Lynx

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, roylynx, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

roylynx (guest)
+1
6 years ago (2017-11-02)
Oops! It seemed that I offended someone here, oh well. 😕

Jubeele, Now that you have said, I sure do understand how serious things like that could be not just Thailand, even the US there are spooky cases from the reports of NYPD too. There are more dead than the one alive the world was formed by the passed one to let the living live, that's what my grandmother used to say.

Phuket... Got to do lots of researches... Not of ghosts I mean for my next trip lol

E.Lynx
Jubeele (25 stories) (885 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-11-02)
Hi Roy
I agree we must always be respectful and careful not to cause offense. The newslinks were just to give you an idea of how seriously such things are taken in the country. The police were called in those instances to prevent further panic and it may be that the areas could still be cordoned off. It might be best to simply visit the more "established" places.

Phuket was great fun - great food too. I'm sure cloudy will be able to provide recommendations on the best places! 😊
roylynx (guest)
 
6 years ago (2017-11-01)
Lady-glow, You are always welcome senhora! I have to thank you to for always being "our torch in a foggy day", I mean you always will clarify everything that most people will find confusing.

Sheetal, Why? Just think that it is just part of nature, eventually the energy will weaken and will be gone forever, it is just a sign that the dead once were living, nothing to be fearful of.

Jubeele, Phuket! Another paradise island! Well, I will ask if my friend would want to go to haunted spots first before banging into those interesting places, I would also need to find a reason for going to such place, like reasons I go, and what I will do... You know just banging in those place meaninglessly is rude for the victims. Thank you for the information anyway!

E.Lynx
Jubeele (25 stories) (885 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-11-01)
Hi Roy, I went to Phuket with my parents a few years before the Boxing Day tsunami. Sadly, the small hotel where we stayed in is now part of the Andaman Sea.

I did a few searches on "Thai hauntings". I think these will make interesting reading. Here's some reported locations of hauntings to look into before your next trip. Wish I could come with you:
Https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_reportedly_haunted_locations
Https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghosts_in_Thai_culture
Http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-40431017
Http://www.abc.net.au/news/2005-01-14/thai-tsunami-trauma-sparks-foreign-ghost-sightings/618946
Http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/06/29/evil-ghost-haunting-thai-town-villagers-claim-calling-police.html

Lady-glow - only too glad to offer a few baht's worth of info. My parents were well-educated but their families followed many traditional customs. I've always been interested in Asian cultures and the wealth of folklore we have. There's always something new to learn and legends are constantly evolving. 😁
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
-1
6 years ago (2017-11-01)
This is really interesting to read and loved the discussion. I think the hotel should close the room.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-11-01)
Roylynx: thanks for clarifying, now I get it! 😊
And thanks to Jubeele for her always interesting input in Asian traditions and culture.
roylynx (guest)
 
6 years ago (2017-10-30)
Jubeele, Wow! What an information!😲
So, do you mean that it is somewhat like a South East Asian thing around?
I know that Taoism is though I am not really sure how their traditions or customs are, they seemed very mysterious... Well, thank you for the information I will do a research regarding on Taoism.

E.Lynx
Jubeele (25 stories) (885 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-10-30)
Roy, yellow paper with red writing sounds like a Fu talisman. It's Taoist (Chinese) in origin, where an ideograph either in drawing or writing, represents an intention. It's a means of communication between Heaven, Earth and Man. Qi energy is supposed to be harnessed from the elements and then channeled into the Fu to empower it. It is used to correct imbalance in the metaphysical or physical plane. I've seen such talismans in the more historic parts of Singapore, stuck on the door.
roylynx (guest)
 
6 years ago (2017-10-30)
Lady-glow, Understood! LOL
We both live in the same community where there are lots of Asian costumes and things... We both hear lots of "ghostly things" and lots of rumors. She seemed to have had hear the amulet rumor before going to Bangkok with me that's why I said that.

The Amulet is like a piece of thin paper yellowish in color and it was folded in a triangle shape and I guess there are something written in red on the paper as well and it is stuck behind the right corner downward of the picture or frame if you wish so. The picture was staged inside a glass frame and the position of the amulet was right behind the picture so you will have to lift the picture a bit to see the amulet.

Sorry for the confusion.

Cloudy, Wow! You shall be our tour guide during our next trip! We are planning to go again during Christmas time! It was Awesome! Yes, and for me haunted places, to do my own things! (Basically research, taking pictures and perhaps videos and EVPs)

So the amulet thingy is not a Thai custom? I notice there are lots of cultures around! Many Vietnamese and Chinese (Southern China I guess) cultures around, it maybe someone doing something weird in that room then...

The picture is an old view of Saigon River, where there are market boats and fishermen, water painted, I guess or it may just be a printed picture. It was staged with a glass frame.

Oh by the way, the wine was offered by the hotel manager for what had happened, but we decided we had to pay for that and so we got a cheap price? Not sure, we don't drink a lot and that was the only wine we had out of Brazil, I really thought we are in heaven lol

E.Lynx
cloudy (7 stories) (39 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-10-29)
Hi Lynx! I could have taken you to a ghostly hot spot in Thailand if I knew you were here haha 😜 I've never heard of putting amulets behind the back of a picture, but amulets are commonly used to ward of evil or bring luck etc, but I don't know why they would hide it, maybe they didn't want it to be seen for some reason. Maybe they were afraid someone would mess with it if seen. What was the picture of, maybe that's relevant? What sort of amulet was it? Our home is filled with them too, but not because of anything bad happened here but for luck and protection, (my husband is quite traditional Thai) we have a small altar with many amulets, on the front of our door, in our car, on necklaces etc. But now where did you find cheap wine in Thailand?! The tax on wine is outrageous!😜
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-10-28)
Wait. Wait!?... I'm getting confused.

From your answer to my previous comment:

"I think she will do that in every room she go once she hear any rumors. Rumor about this amulet thingy made her became curious and so she found this picture in our room and looked behind..."

And from your narrative:

"I looked at it and it seemed to me that it looked like an amulet. I told her that it may be something cultural in Thailand to put an amulet behind a picture.

"você tem certeza?" (Are you sure?) She asked. I told her that I will ask the front desk what that was about. We chatted through the night and got readied for the next day.

The next day, I ask one of the hotel staff if there..."

Please correct me if I'm wrong but, the narrative suggests that your friend FIRST found the amulet and then you asked at the front desk until the NEXT day. What do you mean by her checking the back of the picture after hearing the rumors about the amulet's location? Was she aware of this custom before arriving to the hotel/Thailand? 😕

Could you describe the amulet to more detail? How was it attached to the picture/frame? Did she checked the pictures in the other room?
It's odd that the pictures in the hotel weren't screwed to the wall since most hotels usually secure any paintings not only to prevent theft but to avoid any art from landing on the head of any unsuspecting guest.

Sorry for all the questions but, by now, I know you know how curious I am... Perhaps as curious as your friend or, more?😜
roylynx (guest)
 
6 years ago (2017-10-28)
jubilee, I don't know about any complaints...
Well, perhaps not only that room... Some other room where you know something else had happened? You know since it's an old hotel so there is lots of rumors bad ones and good ones... But most bad rumors 🙄
roylynx (guest)
 
6 years ago (2017-10-28)
lady-glow, Well she is a curious person... Really lol

I think she will do that in every room she go once she hear any rumors. Rumor about this amulet thingy made her became curious and so she found this picture in our room and looked behind...

Well I actually asked why she thought of looking at the picture from behind... Well she says because she knew something was wrong... But I think it is only curiousity... No, really she is that kind of person.
Jubeele (25 stories) (885 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-10-28)
Hey Roy, sounds like your time in Thailand was spiced with a little excitement. Many Thais live comfortably with modern technology and follow the old ways at the same time. Amulets are commonly used for luck and protection. There may very well have been "noise" complaints in that room before. Too many spirits and not of the red wine variety either! 😜
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-10-28)
Your friend is a mysterious woman... Any idea what drove her to look behind the picture? Was she checking for bedbugs? 😨
roylynx (guest)
 
6 years ago (2017-10-28)
Sushantkar, Huah? To me obviously! Did you think I saw a female? Lol

Melda, 13 reasons!? I am afraid I cannot do a research for each victims... I tried to look for the old news articles as well pretty famous it was since one of the victims was an American pilot! Well I am not going to be detailed for a certain reason, but well, the hotel was a famous haunted hotel around Thailand.

You might notice it if you are curious enough to search it on the internet but please don't name it.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-10-28)
Roylynx - It might well be that the hotel cleaners were a little lax when it came to washing the bath. That seems to have been your first impression as well. Did you find long hair anywhere else in the room? I'm asking because of the opinion offered by your friends.

The amulet behind the picture is interesting. If it is the custom in Thailand to place an amulet behind a picture in a room where someone passed away, then I would expect it to have been placed there with good intentions. However, there could probably have been a number of reasons for it.

Did you and your friend feel a negative presence in the room?

If 13 people died in the hotel as a result of the fire, then you have at least 13 reasons for a haunting!

Regards, Melda
sushantkar (16 stories) (533 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-10-28)
Hello lynx, pretty odd events you experienced while your tour to Thailand. Just confused to read when the hotel staff said that"Have a good day, sir! Have a good day, madam!"...When your friend was "she" then why and to who the hotel staff said "Have a good day sir".
Did the hotel saw something else there?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: