You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Exorcising Demons

Real Ghost Stories

Exorcising Demons

 

My best friend, I will call her Anna, and I met when we were both in the same fourth grade class at a local private Catholic school. When we were in the fifth grade, Anna who was an only child and who lived with her mother, moved out of her condo and into a newer condo complex. The condo was built like a town house, with three bedrooms and two and a half baths on two levels. It had probably been built sometime in the 1970s.

The condo itself was nice enough amenities wise, but the first time I ever went into that house, I immediately noticed how completely awful it felt inside. Later my mother, who still does not fully believe what happened there, would admit that she also found the house creepy. It seemed to be unnaturally dark in there and it just had this miserable feeling that even permeated the front and back porch. The feeling was not depressing as much as it was ugly. That is the best word I can use to describe the way this condo felt.

Things began to happen immediately. All of Anna's cats turned up missing, I believe there were three in all. One had been hit by a car in front of the condo. This is actually really weird because the front door faced a parking lot with speed bumps everywhere. I have a hard time imagining managing to hit a cat in that place.

Anna also had several pet cockatiels. At some point they decided to give the birds to her grandmother because she and her mother were afraid the birds may die also. The birds were really loud, and after they had been removed from the house, you could still hear them chirping from the room that they had been in. I witnessed this myself and found it particularly creepy.

I often spent the night with Anna on the weekends and we all stayed in the same room together, Anna, her mom and me. We would hear footsteps going up and down the stairs or banging noises in the attic.

Anna and I took showers together in swimsuits because the almost nauseating feeling of being watched was the worst in the shower.

Frequently we would be awoken from our sleep (Anna and I slept in her moms king sized bed with her mom there) to loud breathing and growling noises that seemed to be right by our ears.

One evening, the three of us were in the living room watching the TV. We had left the light on in the upstairs bathroom and Anna's mother asked us to run upstairs and turn it off. We always went everywhere in the house in pairs, particularly at night. I followed behind Anna a few steps as we climbed the stairs. When I got to the first landing, her mother asked me a question. I turned to answer her as Anna continued up the second flight of stairs. Suddenly Anna screamed and rushed past me, back down the stairs. I followed her down. She was crying, but as she explained, not from fear or any emotion, but from pain. Her eyes were red and bloodshot and full of tears. She said that she had looked up to the top of the stairs into the hall and suddenly a huge and brilliant "whoosh of light" came at here and burned her eyes. I personally didn't see anything, and as a consequence didn't really believe her, but looking back, it was pretty obvious that something had indeed happened to Anna.

I went ahead upstairs to turn off the bathroom light and Anna went to the couch. Her mom told me not to worry about it, but I felt exhilarated and a little nervous, and actually wanted to go and see if there was anything up there. I told her I would be quick. I darted down the hall to the bathroom and as I passed the guest bedroom door, which was open, I peeked inside. I was facing a standup mirror and inside the mirror I could see small bluish balls of light floating around in the reflection.

Other things that happened included a cyclone of floating garbage from the can in the kitchen. Anna described seeing a ghastly face in a table fan in her bedroom. The fan had been on full speed and just stopped cold and the face appeared. There were also foul smells that would seem to float around the house.

Anna's mother was not wealthy, so they were not able to move immediately, though they did eventually leave as soon as her mother was able to find another place for them to live. In the meantime, her mother began to look for ways to deal with the phenomenon. Obviously, her first stop was the Catholic Church where Anna and I attend grade school. Though our Archdiocese has an Exorcist priest, the Church seemed reluctant to get involved. Anna did however start taking holy water home several times a week.

Her mother was losing patience though, and asked a Baptist minister to come take a look at the house. The man came and while he was there, they heard what sounded like heavy footsteps crashing upstairs. Then it sounded like something crashed through the ceiling and hit the floor in the living room where they were sitting. The thing then ran across the room and threw itself throw the living room picture window. They heard all of these sounds, including the glass breaking, but nothing physically had actually happened. The Baptist minister literally ran out of the house and left, never to be heard from again.

Eventually, the Exorcist priest did come to the house. While he was there, something grabbed Anna's leg and yanked her out of her chair and dragged her across the floor. The Priest witnessed this.

By this time Anna's mother had learned a bit about the house. Apparently an old woman had died after having been pushed by her own daughter down the stairs, and some of the neighbors had heard rumors that before the old woman had lived there, strange people had gatherings in the house in the middle of night. None of this really explained what was going on in the condo, however. It wasn't some big climactic revelation like you see on TV when they discover an Indian burial ground or some such thing.

The priest asked Anna's mother if she had done anything to the house when they had moved in, or if she had noticed anything odd about the house itself, besides the phenomena. Her mother recalled a small metal plaque that had been hung in the threshold of the front door. It had been in a language she was not familiar with. I had seen the plaque too when they had first moved in. It was about the size of a credit card and the letters were in relief. Anna's mother produced the plaque and the priest identified it as a Hebrew blessing. He spent some time in the house and eventually "diagnosed" the condo as being infested with something like nine separate Demons. He then replaced the plaque inside the door frame and within a week, the condo was exorcised by the Catholic Church. I don't know what happened during this time. Only her mother was present when the exorcism took place. Anna stayed with her grandmother.

The exorcism was successful for the most part. No more major incidents occurred in the house, though it still had that ugly aura about it. Also, the bad smells and unnatural shadows lingered on. They moved from the condo less then a year later. To this day, Anna doesn't like to talk about what happened when we were kids. I can't say I blame her either.

Other hauntings by BellaMorte

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Alabama

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, BellaMorte, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Demonologist13 (7 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-04)
This is a well written story. I compliment your loyalty to your friend and courage in a very frightening situation.
Demonbinder (66 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-23)
Sadly, the priest did not have any of the demons removed, but somewhat hushed. These demons can at any time, rise up again with their shenanigans. Those foul smells and shadows are the results of the demons being right there, in your presence. They haven't gone anywhere.

I am also saddenend, by the Baptist minister's proclamation of fear by running out. What needs to be done, is intense prayer and fasting, the Blood of Jesus alone is enough to get these cowards scrambling back to the depths of hell where they originated. After this, proceed to let those demons know very sternly, that you are all children of God, and to leave and never return to the household. If you aren't, then your commands will hold no strength. They know who is and who isn't.
Francois (220 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-18)
Greetings and salutations,

Hello BellaMorte, your spectacular narraration of the story is only paralled by the thrilling plot line of the story.
I enjoyed the story very much, especially the thrilling part of the discovery of the 9 demons.

I am sad to say the Roman Catholic Church has a history of refusing to perform exorcisms due to the fear of being brought bad media attention. I was also distressed when I saw that part of the story, that usually lessens belief in the Church. Luckily, I heard His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI, plans to create a group of exorcists in every Diocese around the world in order to combat the rising tide of Satanism.

I also applaud your bravery in sleeping at your friend's house even though it was frightening, in order to comfort your friend. I wish I could only emulate your example.

Thank you for posting your story, if you have any more experiences, I am always happy to read about them. God bless you, deus vobiscum and take care.

Sincerely,

Francois
Dragon35 (18 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-05)
i have read about things simmlar it is a ritual to summon demons but hold them at peace the metal thing in the doorway is a binding and the strange meetings is the ritual but I find it strange to believe that a priest come to do an exorcism if they never heard about the place before and somthing that can not be explained bay enything but demonic forses have happened ther before
demonologist134 (8 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-30)
Hello BelleMorte,
Well this is very interesting. I will tell you all that the concept/theory of electromagnetic fields would not explain away any of these occurrences. Although we all try to debunk to some degree the validity of a claim, you have to eventually roll around to the fact that some things are not 100% scientific. However what you describe is not untypical behavior from catholic officials. I am a practicing catholic demonologist, and I will tell you that they act this way for a reason. But what you describe is not actually exorcism. Exorcism can only be performed on people, not places. What you describe is actually called suffinmugation. It is an old ritual spin off from exorcism with various differences. Feel free to e-mail me if you would like to learn more and visit my web site some time. Www.ncdemonology.org
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-11)
Interesting story, BellaMorte. Thank you for sharing it with us and answering the questions that so many of us have.
Anna12 (1 stories) (44 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-11)
Hello!
This is a very interesting story! The only reason I could find for the "haunting" is the fact that people gathered in the house for strange meetings. I have heard of many cases where previous owners of a house who were worshippers Satan opened "portals" for Demons.
Good luck, thanks for the great story.
BellaMorte (4 stories) (19 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-10)
chuzwuzum,

I am not sure how long the exorcism took, I know it was no longer then a couple of days. It doesn't stand out in my mind because Anna was not even present.

Tonith,
As far as I remember there were no electrial towers near the condo. The complex was pretty big, and it seems like the closest tower, or rather one of those station things, was at the least several blocks away behind the complex. I only remember this detail because it is off a main street that I have been down many times.
BellaMorte (4 stories) (19 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-10)
Thank you everyone for the compliments about my writing. =)

Ramzey,

To answer your question, As far as I remember, the main things that her mother tried before the exorcism was holy water, bringing in different religious authorities (the Catholic Church was reluctant) and I remember that a Mormon couple instructed Anna to burn all of her belongings that those people found offensive, including Madonna tapes and horror movies. The couple actually took these things and burned them, so Anna didn't have to do it. She didn't want to but her mother insisted because she was at the end of her rope by that time and was willing to try anything. The exorcism was soon after that, so I don't really know what effect this had, if any.
chuzwuzum (2 stories) (29 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-10)
That was one of the most well written stories I have read on this site. That is one messed up apartment. Nine demons! And the fact that they followed her to work is just as disturbing. How long did the exocism take? I pray for the families that have lived in that condo since. Once again great story.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-10)
My question would be were there any electrical towers near this home? Investigators have found that electomagnetics have an influence on the right temporal lobe of the brain and can produce halluncinations. Not saying this was the case, just asking. The fact that a priest came to check it out may mean it has happened in this area before. Demons are suppose to be non human entities and I don't know why they attach themselves to certain people or places. Probably because they have never been a physical being and want to be. Glad to see no one got hurt. I don't know what the blue lights in the mirror were but it surely sounds like some kind of manifestation took place producing physical sound effects without actually producing physical events. I think these things thrive on fear and get a bang out of tormenting human beings being jealous of the fact that they have a physical life.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-10)
Hello BellaMorte. Thank you for sharing your story with us, I found it very interesting. Even though I found it interesting, in all honesty I remain skeptical. Take Care.

FRAWIN ❤
SchizoSephy (74 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-10)
The area I live around is very creepy. But mostly very “select” groups including me have seen these things. A short period of time I would be choked and experience some sort of freezing sensation down my throat. At this time I began seeing strange things out a certain window and more. I had thought I may have been possessed. I had been sort of "away" from my spiritual self. Eventually I prayed for it to stop and most of it did. I'm not sure if it was a demon but it only was there for awhile and left. I'm doing OK now other than the occasional chill down my throat.
Ramzey (9 stories) (130 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-10)
You are a great writer! I know of a home right now that a woman and her small child is living in that has evil in it. They have no where else to go and they asked for my help, to come investigate... But I don't want to open any more doors that cannot be closed by me. What all kind of things were tried on the home before the actual exorcism?
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-10)
Wow, how horrifying for all involved!

When the Baptist minister visited the condo, it is possible one of the 'entities' was chased away at that point, thus all the noise, but apparently he was not able to stay around and see the rest out. Thank the good Lord that the priest and the Catholic church were able to do so.

I would imagine the condo did still hold some negative energy even after the blessing. That much evil and anger in one place, I would assume, would be bound to leave an impression.

Again, Thank the good Lord that no one was hurt, and all were able to move on, although I am certain this experience left a lasting impression on all those who witnessed any portion of this presence, especially those who lived there!

Thank you for sharing your ordeal with all of us!
God Bless!
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-10)
Hi BellaMorte. That was a terrifying, frightening ordeal! It must have been horrible to go through, no wonder Anna doesn't want to talk about it. I would want to put that behind me and never look back. Poor Anna, I hope she doesn't carry any scars from this, or her poor Mom. Or you. You went through enough just by having witnessed the things you did while visiting there, I don't think it is something you would soon forget about. Thanks for sharing your story, it was well written. It gave me goosebumps and I really enjoyed reading it.
BellaMorte (4 stories) (19 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-10)
Thank you! I actually found the story rather messy, but I tend to write pages and pages so I kept it as brief as I could while still covering most of the events.

But I did remember something that I left out. Anna's mom is a nurse and one night the phenomenon actually followed her to the hospital ICU where she worked. All night alarms went off in rooms where there were no patients, and several objects moved on their own. Her mom found this very distressing as the other nurses there witnessed it, but she obviously did not take responsibility for it as she was afraid for her reputation and job.

But to answer your question, yes the condo is still there. We never followed up on it however, so I can't tell you if there has been anything recent. This took place in 1991 or 1992.
jeann (19 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-09)
First of all, you really did a good job narrating the story, I enjoyed reading it. Man, if I lived in that house, I would have moved out ASAP! I sure hope the exorcism really worked, for the sake of the next families who will live in that house. Is it still existing?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: