You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Strange Goings On In Psychiatric Hospital

Real Ghost Stories

Strange Goings On In Psychiatric Hospital

 

My story is from 2008 and at the time I was working at a psychiatric ward. I had been there for over four years and at time I would sense something in particular parts of the hospital but never saw anything.

However the feeling of being watched as you entered corridors and passed doorways was always there, more so when departments were empty or during the evenings.

The incident occured when myself and a collegue were conducting routine room searches, the particular room we happened to be searching in had a feeling of negativity and we always found that patients that were housed in this room were shall we say more difficult and unsettled. Temporary staff also sensed a negative feel/energy from the room even when they knew nothing about the hospital.

I walked in the room with my colleague and jokingly said "lets trash this room!" exactly after I said this, a plastic jug that had been sitting on the window sill flew off violently and crashed against the adjacent wall. We both looked at each other and the look on her face was " did you see what I saw?" my collegue looked at me and said 'Dupey" which translates as 'ghost'. We conducted the search as quickly as we could without saying anything else to each other so that we could get out of there fast.

As you can imagine an incident like this needs to be kept quiet especially on a psychiatric ward, if word got out amongst patients then it could cause panic. Despite this I approached my then manager who laughed it off which made me feel a bit embarrassed for having spoken to him in the first place.

Many other staff have had experiences there from hearing knocking on doors to ultility rooms and sightings of a little boy in the corridors.

Other hauntings by villafan

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, villafan, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

matt01 (1 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-11-17)
Your story brings back memories of when I was walking through hospital corridors in the dead of night. Just not a comfortable place to be in. Lol
villafan (2 stories) (5 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-11-08)
Evening from England Emmaline,
The hospital doesn't have cctv cameras inside as this would add to the paranoia of its service users.
I think you're right with malevolent energy being drawn/attracted to troubled individuals. Although my experience was about a particular room there are or appear to be a few hot spots around the hospital.
I still work at the hospital but in another capacity and i'm grateful of being able to finish my day earlier and avoid more freaky moments!
Regards
Villafan
EmmalineTexas (10 stories) (163 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-11-08)
Villafan - I agree with Jubeele that places store up energy. Did the staff ever know who had spent time in that room? Poltergeists come from negative energy, especially people who are schizophrenic. Another thing that I wondered about was if there were any surveillance cameras for the hallways or common areas? There might have been a lot of activity that was caught on tape. Thanks for sharing your story. Pretty scary. I'd love to hear more about your experiences there.
villafan (2 stories) (5 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-11-08)
Jubelee, I think you've hit the nail on the head there. Places like Psychiatric hospitals absorb energy and maybe the associated trauma leaves its mark in incidents like I experienced.
The overwhelming feeling I got from certain areas was so strong but needs dictated that at times you had to spend quite lengthy periods there.
You could feel the pressure release as you moved away but only to dread having to go back.
As I had said colleagues past and present would relay stories where there were 'intelligent' knocking on doors late at night only for there to be no-one there.
Again this was quite unnerving for them because they were stationed for hourly intervals meaning they could not leave.
I have not had any other experiences there mainly due to switching job roles.
Thanks for reading
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-11-08)
Villafan, that was quite a scare. It was just as well you had your colleague with you for mutual support. I wouldn't have been able to keep the semblance of calm though, not even to save my own skin.

I've spent far too much time in hospitals for the past five years; not a pleasant thing, as you well know. Even more unpleasant would be a psychiatric ward. Places like that store so much negative energy and emotions that they're powder kegs waiting to ignite.

Was that the only experience you had in the ward or were there subsequently more? Do tell us...

Thanks for sharing with us.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: