You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Henn Theater

Real Ghost Stories

The Henn Theater

 

I have always been a fan of historic buildings and attractions and seeing that I live in not only a small town but in a close proximity to a cluster of small towns in the Georgia mountains that all have some form of history still standing. Blairsville Ga, Haysville NC, Blue ridge Ga and Helen Ga there are quite a few to explore. One day as I was walking around the older part of Murphy doing some shopping in my favorite organic store I noticed that the old theater had been reopened.

Quick history for anyone that is interested The Henn Theater first opened in 1934 and has been family owned ever since, Of the 23 theaters ran by P.J. Henn, it is the only one of two that survived the Great Depression. In March of 2009 it was damaged by a fire but was thankfully reopened in May of the same year.

It's vintage red and white sign and show board that was illuminated in the old fashion flashing bulbs made it seem absolutely drawing. Taken Two was showing and I really wanted to see it. I noticed that the next showing was at two and I hate a crowded theater. So the timing seemed perfect, I looked at my watch and saw that I had about an hour and a half to get ready. I rushed home and freshened up called a few friends and asked if they wanted to go with me but they all had plans or had to work, so I just decided to go on my own.

When I walked inside I was thrilled to see original copies of classic movie posters of all sorts framed on the wall everything seemed to be original other than the soda machines and popcorn maker. You could tell the walls had been repainted along with the floor tiles but I am sure it was necessary. As I got my ticket the Man told me that I was the only one who had shown up for that showing, I asked if he was still going to be showing the movie and he said yes. I was so excited. Not only was I watching a movie that I really wanted to see in a historic theater but I was the only person there. No squeezing past people to get the perfect set or having to ignore people that were eating loudly or talking, or having to worry about someone putting their elbow in my side or knees in my back. Just Me and the theater attendant SWEET!

I get a soda and go to find my seat rows and rows of empty red cloth seats, a large balcony, decisions decisions I settled in around the middle row and had made it to just about the beginning of the movie when I heard somebody walk. I turned briefly to find the guy that was at the ticket booth had taken a seat on the back row. Ok, Cool so I went back to watching the movie. Right as I am once again drawn into the action of the movie I hear one of the seats squeak, even over the gun chase on the screen. It seemed to echo through the rows startling me, I automatically turned around only to find the guy still sitting there raising his hands as if to say what it wasn't me.

I turned back around and tried to focus on the movie but I had a bit of an uneasy felling that I couldn't seem to shake, but I chopped it up to the fact that I was watching a kidnapping movie in a huge theater with a strange guy that I didn't know sitting in the back row and I had a slight adrenaline rush going from the excitement of the movie. Ok, get Your head straight and enjoy the movie.

Not long after that thought I saw a little boy in a dark blue and white stripped shirt with denim shorts and mosey brown hair run down the aisle and take a seat in the front row. I was expecting the guy in the back to come and get him seeing that he is way too young to watch this movie not to mention where were his parents? But he never went to go get the little boy, when I once again turned around he was playing on his phone not paying attention. No reason he managed to get in, I looked around hoping to see anyone looking for him but oddly enough there was no one. So I got up went to the front row and sat down next to him, I watched for a moment as he swung his tiny feet his eyes wide staring up at the huge screen. "Hey", I whispered trying not to startle him," where is Your mom and Dad, we Should go find them." He never looked away from the screen and just stayed quiet. "Why don't You follow me," I whispered," we will go get you some popcorn and look for your parents. Can You tell me where they are?I'm sure your Mom is looking for You."

Finally the little boy looked up at me and smiled, I offered him my hand but he walked right past me I stayed right behind him following him into the lobby but nobody was there but a teenage girl behind the concession stand, "Did You see where the little boy went?" She simply raised an eyebrow and shook her head no, "Keep an eye on your own kid," she huffed and went back to the popcorn machine. I went outside and looked down both sides of the sidewalk but he was nowhere to be found. I still don't know how he is tied to the theater or if he was just a wondering spirit but I haven't seen him since. I haven't been back to the theater since then but I would like to go back one day.

Other hauntings by Lilwolf

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Lilwolf, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Lilwolf (8 stories) (66 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-08-05)
Philhj64, That would definitely be creepy! What kind of suit like an average dress suit of an older one? I don't blame You for not telling anyone most people don't believe it or just get creeped out. Hmmm I guess they just have slow seasons. I hope You enjoyed it other than the creepy hovering guy.
Philhj64 (1 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-07-29)
Visiting Murphy, NC my girlfriend and I went yesterday to see Mission Impossible 2. About half way through the movie I saw a tall figure dressed in a black suit hovering above the seats in the row in front of us to the left. I tried to dismiss it as an optical illusion but decided to check to see if anyone else had an experience here. I am a sceptic and did not even tell my girlfriend or the owner who sold us our tickets. By the way there were only 5 other people in the theater.
Lilwolf (8 stories) (66 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-04-13)
BettinaMarie, I use to be like that but as much crazy stuff that has happened. I've learned to weigh things out, find the logic and go from there. 😆 Thanks I just tell it like I remember it.
BettinaMarie (14 stories) (80 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-04-13)
Lilwolf-you are definitely tougher than my "fraidycat" self. I would have embarrassed myself, I am sure. I enjoyed how you also mentioned the smarmy answer from the concessions worker, by the way.
Lilwolf (8 stories) (66 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-04-12)
BettinaMarie, It was defintley spooky the only reason I didn't search for him more was he literally vanishied.

No matter how fast kids can run in the time span it took for me to get from the front desk to the direction I saw him turn there was no way he was gaining that much ground that quick.

Not to mention I found it odd that he never spoke and there were no parents in or around the theatre looking for a little boy. It screamed paranormal it was defintley a wild experience to say the least. Thanks for reading.

Lil-Wolf
BettinaMarie (14 stories) (80 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-04-03)
Holy moly, Lilwolf, this would have had me searching up and down the street, then back to grill the theatre staff with questions to prove to myself what happened. All I can say is I that you seem tough and kind, to have handled this so very calmly.
Old theatres are some of my favorite places, thank you for sharing this spooky account of yours.
Lilwolf (8 stories) (66 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-11-13)
Jubeele, Thanks for the pointer I will keep that in mind next time I share a story. 😊
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-11-13)
I don't think you've got anything to worry about, Lilwolf. Your writing style suits you - your bright, forthright personality comes through very well.

I follow a simple rule for writing: one idea, one paragraph. If your ideas are flowing too quickly for you, set them down in dot point first. Then rearrange them in the order you want. After that, you can pad out them with more words and descriptions. Try and see if this works for you.

Yes, I started out as an advertising copywriter. I still do a fair amount of business correspondence for work. But I try to avoid technical jargon and convoluted sentences. I want my customers to understand me! 😁
Lilwolf (8 stories) (66 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-11-12)
Jubeele, I honestly don't know what I would have done if he had followed me home. I really don't know much about helping spirits cross over so I guess I would have yet another spirit hanging around my house, or I would hope that he would wonder on.

The Henn theater is really flipping awesome, I like it mainly because it has stuck to it's roots for the most part. It's looking a little rough on the outside now but it's still cool.

Thanks, that actually makes me feel a bit better. I have always been a little self conscious about my writing. Making sure that it is clear and that I don't skip important details and stuff.

Writing has not really been my strong suit mainly because half the time my mind runs in 30 different directions and what may seem like an important point to me may be pointless or useless to someone else so I'm constantly weighing things out before I write them. I appreciate that 😊
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-11-11)
Spooky, Lilwolf. What if the little boy had taken you at your word and followed you home? 👻

When we lived in Sydney's Lower North Shore, I used to walk across to the Hayden Orpheum, a historic Art Deco cinema dating back to 1935. On my days off, I loved going to the morning or afternoon matinees where I'd have the whole place to myself.

I Googled the Henn Theater. It looks great - just the sort of place I'd love to 'haunt' (pardon the pun). I'm sure that boy thought so too.

You set a great mood for the scene. I enjoyed reading this. 😘

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: