You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: A Ghost Getting Exercise

Real Ghost Stories

A Ghost Getting Exercise

 

Halloween has come and gone, with its tradition of telling ghost tales, both real experiences as on this site, and made up tales, such as the wrapping paper joke I recall from Boy Scouts. (Directions to our camp site included 'turn on to the one lane sand.')

While discussing this site and various experiences my family had, my dad admitted that something he said when we were younger, I was about 10 at the time, he just made up to dissuade us from ghostly explanations, and that he too experienced this thing.

We lived in a Cape Cod style house, a style as distinctive as Victorian architecture. Front door flanked by one window on each side, so if you're a student of architecture you'd know this is almost, but not quite, a full Cape as it usually has two windows on each side of the front door. The steeply pitched roof housed an attic that a previous owner had finished into two bedrooms and apparently added some plumbing for a possible half bath, but did not build it. My brother had one bedroom and I had the other bedroom at the top of the stairs.

After we had our evening prayers, my brother and I headed to the attic and our separate rooms for sleep, and just as we settled in, the ghost would begin its exercise of climbing the stairs. At the time, dad just called it the house settling. The entity began its ascent on the fifth or sixth stair out of 12, climb to the top of the stairs and turn left, walk into that bedroom and around the bed, then head to the other bedroom and do the same: walk around the bed. It then proceeded back to the stairs and dissipated. I can't speak for my brother on this, but I did turn on a light to see if something was there. The walking stopped until I turned the light off, resuming its perambulations. I saw nothing, no shadow in the dark or in the light, nor did I personally feel any positive or negative energy from it.

I recall my brother reported feeling negativity from it, however. The events stopped when my brother finally sat up in bed and stated to the invisible thing, "We are God's children now. Get out." According to my brother's account, the thing shoved his bed hard then passed through the window, making the curtains move.

The stairs continued to creak but only from flesh and blood walking on the staircase, either us or our dog.

Other hauntings by RCRuskin

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, RCRuskin, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Cherubim (14 stories) (245 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2019-10-24)
Oh! 😳 That would creep me out so much. I love how it left when your brother said "we are God's children" ❤ That's really all I know to do (pray) when I get paranormal visitors. It's almost Halloween again, I love this time of year and wish I had a pumpkin to give you.
Great story.
BettinaMarie (14 stories) (80 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-04-05)
I am just going to say that I would have died of fright, unless saved by a clever sibling.
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-11-19)
Bratty brother - hahaha! Better check with your "brat" first before you "give" him away.

I looked up images of Cape Cod architecture - classic and pretty. I grew up in a Lego-style HDB flat in Singapore. Basic building block. But it had a "spirited" atmosphere though. 😁
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-11-19)
Jubilee, the Russian word for brother is pronounced almost exactly the same as brat. So, sure, you can have him. 😉

RedWolf, yes, it is good that he told it to get out. Personally, I just prayed until it left the room.

Melda, children do trust their parents as a survival instinct. But after a certain developmental stage, they start rebelling. Usually about the time they figure out Santa Claus is fake.

(Aside: I heard once of a young girl questioning Santa's existence because he used the same pattern wrapping paper as her parents. Next year, mom swapped some wrapping paper with a neighbor.)

Lady Glow, the house had many unsettling features. Most significantly, it was not in the state we wanted to live in. There were some interesting, but not ghostly, events that led to us moving into it. The frame was rotting towards the end of our time in the house, so whoever owns it really has a money pit.
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-11-19)
I would've liked having your brother for support when I was a little girl and suffering from cold chills (in humid Singapore!), and night terrors.

This reminds me how we can be empowered should we find ourselves in similar strife. Faith really makes a difference: the Word and the Will. Thanks for sharing this experience!
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2017-11-18)
I'm glad your brother was brave enough to tell the ghost to get out. I tell people who have asked how to get rid of a spirit to just tell it to get out, it is not welcome and I get amazed phone calls saying they did this and they no longer have problems.

Just remember no welcome mats either.

Red
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-11-18)
RCRuskin - That was short, sweet and to the point and just goes to show how easy it can be to get rid of a ghost. Well, sometimes. Good for your brother! If only I'd had the sense to stand up to those entities that bothered me when I was a kid.

I wonder why it is that parents always think their kids believe all the silly explanations they come up with? Boggles the mind 😆

Regards, Melda
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2017-11-17)
Your dad said it was the house settling, I would say it was an unsettling house.😨

Fascinating, I'm glad to know it was so easy to put an end to the disturbances.

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: