You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: A Terrifying Intruder

Real Ghost Stories

A Terrifying Intruder

 

It's been a really long time since I posted but last night I had something happen that I can't explain. I have been shooken up all day about it.

Last night I went to bed about 9:30. A few hours later I awoke to a man standing near my bed. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. He had long brown matted hair and a beard. He was dressed in a shabby coat and I would have to guess that he stood about 5'8" or so. He looked like a homeless person. I blinked a few times and then the reality that there was someone there hit me like a ton of bricks. At first I thought someone had broken in and was there to harm me.

I started screaming. I don't recall ever being so scared in my entire life. My heart was beating so fast that I thought I would have a heart attack. My dog was asleep at the end of the bed. Once I started screaming she woke up and moved closer to me. She seem completely unaware of the presence. The man just stood and stared expressionless. As I screamed and my eyes became more focused on him, he started to disappear. Then all of the sudden it was like he was sucked backwards out of the room, as if in a flash.

I tried to convince myself that this was a dream, that he wasn't really there. But if I was asleep, how was I able to scream? He appeared as real and solid as any live person. I laid in bed listening and waiting for my heart to slow to a normal rate. Nothing else happened and I was able to fall back to sleep eventually. This morning I checked the alarm to make sure I had turned it on before going to bed. I had. Nothing else in the house was disturbed to suggest an intruder.

At work this morning I relayed what happened to a trusted friend. She said she didn't think whatever was there was out to harm me and that maybe it was a soul looking for help. I honestly don't know but if anyone has any input to this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Other hauntings by Jennifer40

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arizona

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Jennifer40, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-21)
Hi Emmaline, just getting to your comments now. I don't think there were any dirt roads or trains that went through the area. My dog only seem to react when I started screaming. She doesn't seem to be as in tune as some other animals are. Not sure why that is. A few years back a girlfriend stayed and house sat with her yorkie. My dog was there too. My friend had some strange stuff happen and her dog reacted to it where mine was unfazed. My friend thinks that my house is haunted, although I have experienced very little outside of this experience. She seems to think that whatever (if anything) is there, it is something that is attached to me and the dog. Maybe a protective spirit?

-Jennifer ❤
EmmalineTexas (10 stories) (163 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-06)
Hi Jennifer40 - What a scary experience. I read all of the comments and if you were able to scream, what was your dog's reaction when that happened?

Also, your house is only 15 years old but is it close to what would have been any highways/old roads or possibly train tracks. I'm asking because it might have been a ghost of someone who travelled through your area.

I agree with Melda that you probably had a lost soul wander through. Terrifying, but he disappeared and didn't try to harm you. That's one plus. Thanks for your account.

Emma
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-06)
Augusta, that is very creepy! I am the same way with my dog as you are with your cats. I will stay in the same uncomfortable position in order not to disturb a sleep dog.

-Jennifer ❤
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-06)
Hi Rook,
Sorry for the late response. My home is 15 years old. I own it and am the first owner. The land it is on was former farm land where grain was grown.

I've had very few experiences in the house since moving in and have always felt relatively safe there. I have had two friends house sit and both times they have told me that they heard scratching noises coming from my bedroom.

Not sure what happened the night all this went down but then again it very well could be sleep paralysis. I don't know for sure.

-Jennifer
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-04)
Actually, I just recently had something somewhat similar happen to me. Just this last Saturday around dusk I was waiting for my husband to come home. I laid down on the bed for half a second and suddenly both of my cats took that as an invitation for a cuddle fest so I was stuck (K/P= kitty paralysis - the state of being unable to move for any reason until the cat gets up). I laid there relaxed, closed my eyes thinking for a moment and when I opened them, there was a little boy standing in the doorway. His image looked like the negative after image image you see after you look away from something very bright to darkness. He vanished instantly.

I wasn't dreaming and I don't think you were either. Maybe look into the history of your area - from his description, he sounds like a frontiersman type - a trapper, miner or prospector. As such, there might not be any specific documentation of him but you will likely be able to turn up evidence of such activities if they ever took place in your general vicinity.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-11-28)
Jennifer40,

Melda has some good inputs but I actually have a few questions...

How old is the house you live in?

How long have you lived there?

Owner or renting?

How many experiences have occurred in this house? Which rooms? How often?

Do you keep a Journal of 'odd' experiences?

S/P is a state between being fully awake and REM sleep... It has to do with certain chemicals in our brain that keep us from 'acting out' our dreams as we sleep.

(https://www.livescience.com/21653-brain-chemicals-sleep-paralysis.html) Just a short intro article on the topic.

When we experience S/P these chemicals have not 'worn off' so we are unable to move, make a noise... Pretty much anything. Its at this time our 'dreams/nightmares' may 'overlap' with what our waking eyes are seeing causing us to think there is something else in the room with us.

So...having said all that... The fact you were able to scream and your dog NOT reacting to a presence in the room may indicate you were just enough 'out' of the S/P state to scream.

Oh for the record S/P = half asleep (your body and its sensory inputs are just trying to catch up to your brain...)

Respectfully,

Rook
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-11-28)
Thank you both for your input. It didn't seem to mean me any harm. I have had sleep paralysis in the past and what was different this time was that I was able to scream. In the past I haven't been able to move. But, who knows? I found out over Thanksgiving that a friend's sister is a paranormal investigator. She has offered to come over to see if she can contact anything. We'll see.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+4
6 years ago (2017-11-27)
publicways - This comment to you is not meant to be aggressive and I hope you don't interpret it as such.

And yes, you are 100% entitled to your opinion. I have read your comments on others' experiences which they have submitted and you seem to have the tendency to discount them. Therefore I would like to ask you this. Have you ever personally experienced any supernatural phenomena or do you just have an interest in the supernatural/paranormal?

If you are interested, I have posted the link below to one of my own experiences, which experience prompted me to respond to the OP in the manner in which I did.

You don't have to read it of course, but I would be rather interested to know what your reaction would be to that.

Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=25134

Jennifer40 - I hope you don't object to my response to publicways. You of course are entitled to agree or disagree with him/her as you see fit.

Regards, Melda
publicways (32 posts)
-2
6 years ago (2017-11-27)
Most likely a combination of sleep paralysis and being half awake and half asleep - doubtful it was anything paranormal. Just my $0.02.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-11-27)
Jennifer40 - I know that feeling of seeing a solid looking being standing in your room and thinking that they mean you some kind of harm. I also know the feeling of relief when you realise that what you're seeing is just a ghost. I'd rather pit my strength against ghost than a human!

Perhaps this was a lost soul who just wandered into your home? He was probably just as confused and ill at ease as you were, if not more so.

If you don't encounter him again then my guess is that that is probably what he was, a lost soul, lost in life and lost thereafter.

Regards, Melda

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: