You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Phantom Doorbell

Real Ghost Stories

Phantom Doorbell

 

I hope someone can help with my Moms' "issue". Over the course of about 2 weeks, maybe every other evening, between 7-9pm, she has heard a doorbell ring right beside her head. Normally happens while she's watching TV, winding down for the evening. My Mom's house does not have a doorbell. She says it sounds like a doorbell, "ding-dong". She has been living in this house, alone, for maybe 7-8 years with no issues. Her Father passed away March 2016 but the sounds have just started as of Nov 2017. Her Mom is still alive but in a home for dementia. She has had a MRI in the last six months so I don't think it would have to do with her brain. She does live about 500 feet from a cemetery. The previous owner died in the house of natural causes.

A friend of mine, who claims to "feel" spirits and reads Tarot cards was at my Mom's house, probably over a year ago, and as my Mom was showing her around, my friend had to leave the front bedroom quickly as she didn't like the "feel" of it. Ironically, that is the bedroom closest to my Mom as she is watching TV at night and hearing the doorbell sound. We do not know if the previous owner passed in that bedroom. She does not use that bedroom for anything other than storage. I have stayed multiple nights at my Mom's house as have all three of my daughters, at varying times and we have not experienced anything remotely supernatural. I apologize if my story kind of goes all over the place.

Can anyone offer some advice or suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, 3girls, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Anno_Domini (3 stories) (167 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-05)
Glad we were able to find an earthly reason for the sound. My ebay app rings "ka-ching!" each time I get a bid, makes my heart soar 😁
3girls (1 stories) (2 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-11-29)
Thanks for the comment Rex-T. It is most likely her cell phone but will keep everyone posted.

3girls
Rex-T (5 stories) (288 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-11-29)
Hi 3girls,

Firstly, let me say that Rook's advice is sound. You should try to eliminate causes in this world before moving into the paranormal realms.

When fixing phone lines many years ago, I came across some rare instances of RFI (Radio Frequency Interference). The symptoms were similar to what you described, clicks/buzzing on the line to every item in a house with a speaker - TV, Radio, Microwave Ovens and phones all blaring out the local radio station.

What I'd usually want to know is if the sound always happened at roughly the same times, how long did it last, did it happen every day (or some kind of pattern) and has anyone in the near area erected a tall aerial recently?

This may seem like a load of technical 'mumbo-jumbo' but occasionally two way radio signals can cause problems with the neighbors.

Regards, Rex-T
3girls (1 stories) (2 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-11-29)
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I do have an update to the situation. My youngest daughter and friends of my mom's were over at her house just this past Sunday evening and all 3 people heard it, too. The next day, my mom was dropping off my youngest daughter at her other grandma's house and the door bell sounded again. My eldest daughter, my youngest daughter and my mother in law all heard it. They then rang my mother in law door bell and the two sounds were nothing alike. Approximately two nights ago, my mom was on her phone with a friend and the door bell sound came through the phone. With that statement, I seem to think the sound is coming from her phone and at certain times during the day, an update or such comes through as the sound of a doorbell
We are hoping this situation all boils down to a faulty phone. She plans to go to her phone provider tomorrow. I will keep you updated
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-11-29)
3girls - It seems possible that your mother, in a state of sleepiness, "winding down for the evening", as you put it, is experiencing a well reported phenomenon, namely "hypnogogic phantom doorbell ringing". A quick internet search turned up several articles that suggest that this phenomenon is relatively common.

One article stated, "Doorbells, phones ringing, knocking, people calling your name, even short tunes wake people up. That is to say that none are generated by external stimuli, they are in fact hypnagogic hallucinations, and to the brain they are very real".

Hypnogogic is defined as the period of drowsiness immediately preceding sleep. As your mother is watching tv just before heading to bed, it seems a good chance that her brain is entering a hypnogogic phase. It is a definite possibility. Thanks for sharing your account. Please check out hypnagogia.info for much more information. Hope this helps.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-11-29)
Tinnitus. That's the condition rookdygin is talking about.
EmmalineTexas (10 stories) (163 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-11-29)
Rook - I agree. Great comment. I think you're looking for Tinnitis.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-11-29)
First things first... Ear Check... There is a condition... Its starts with a T...but the word escapes me... But it has to do with hearing ringing/buzzing/high pitched sounds in your ear (s).

Rule out the everyday, mundane things before looking at paranormal causes, especially when there is no history of any such thing in the home.

Respectfully,

Rook

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: