You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Psychic / Medium :: Strange Presence in College Dorm

Real Ghost Stories

Strange Presence in College Dorm

 

I live in the dorms on campus at Eastern Michigan University, and, while strange things tend to happen to my roommate, I usually shrug them off. I was raised in a rather nontraditional, psychically-sensitive family, and was brought up to not fear the paranormal, but to respect it and still know how to protect myself from it using shields and simple incantations or rituals. This has always been more or less like second nature to me, and I've never felt truly threatened by any presences around me. Until recently.

Christmas break rolled around this year, and my roommate went home the day after her classes ended. I've slept alone in our room before, and I was leaving as well the next day, so it wasn't a big deal at all. When I went to bed that night, however, things felt somewhat different. I shrugged it off, figuring I was just overtired, and closed my eyes. As soon as I did, I got an exceedingly clear mental image of an older man standing a few feet away from my bed, glaring at me. This was disconcerting, but I just opened my eyes, counted a few sheep to get rid of the lingering image, and then tried once more to go to sleep. After all, it was probably just my imagination - I've seen similar mental images before, ranging from people I've never met in my life to elephants in tutus. Though this wasn't exactly a dancing pachyderm, it was hardly unusual.

But still, I couldn't sleep. I kept getting the feeling that there was something near the foot of my bed, standing in the doorway to my dorm room. This reminded me that I hadn't locked the door before laying down, so I reluctantly stood up to go lock it. I didn't want to walk through those few feet of space - it felt like there was something there that I didn't want anything to do with. I quickly locked up and dove back into bed, closing my eyes tightly. For several long moments, everything seemed okay again.

Several years ago, I began learning how to use my energy to gently influence things — pendulums for the most part, though on occasion, in crowded areas, I would use it to subtly keep people away from my personal space. I could form a barrier that would discourage people, on a subconscious level, from getting too close. I've always done this to some extent, when I was younger, but have only recently begun doing it on purpose. Learning how to do this has made me more aware of my aura, of the energy that surrounds me, and sometimes I can tell when someone is thinking very hard about me, just based off of the changes in my own energy.

I bring this up because I began to sense changes in my aura (I'm not a huge fan of this word, but it most clearly gets across my meaning). It felt like someone was playing with my energy, perhaps sucking it away. This has happened a time or two before, in my bedroom at home, but there, all I need to do is tell it rather forcefully to stop, and it does. I did that in my dorm room, and nothing happened. So I then put up that shield I've been using for so long, but still nothing happened. As I did this, I began to sense a sort of shape that went along with the bad feeling at the foot of my bed. Whatever it was, reminded me of the Velociraptors from Jurassic Park: it was non-human, and somewhat small, but still quite dangerous.

Finally I imagined a sort of energetic bomb going off, filling the room with bright white light, and the being seemed to vanish. I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary so far now that we're back, but then again, it has only been two days. I'm hoping that whatever it was, it left for good.

Other hauntings by owlsong

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, owlsong, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

schoolspirits (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-08)
Hey Owlsong and other EMU students - wondering if you would be willing to share your experiences with the Syfy network. Please read the info below and get back to us at schoolspirits [at] gmail.com. Thank you so much!

Casting Students and Alumni who have had haunted campus experiences

Jarrett Creative Group and the Syfy cable TV network are seeking high school and college age students as well as alumni who have come face to face with paranormal activity on their school campuses. If you have witnessed a first hand experience with ghosts, hauntings or other unexplained phenomena in your classrooms... In your dorm... In locker rooms or on athletic fields... We may want to tell your story and recreate it on television. We are interested in hearing stories from students current and past as well as from any parents or faculty.

If you are someone you know has a story to tell, and you are at least 16 years old, please e-mail us at schoolspirits2011 [at] gmail.com with your contact info and a brief summary of your experiences. Any questions can be directed to 917-475-1411.
frenchpoet (10 stories) (61 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-29)
I'm owlsong's room mate. This stuff happened in Best hall, not the FYC! But I wouldn't be surprised if weird stuff happened there,too.
katiebugg1315 (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-29)
okay, I'm not sure how to email anyone on this site, so I'll just ask this here. Have any of these events happened in the FYC at emu? I live there, so I'm really curious. 🤔
Oglegen (6 stories) (61 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-20)
I have had very similar experiences to you and totally understand and if Rootwomin was right and there were student occult games like oujia boards being played in those dorms before, it makes sense that some not-so-nice entities would hang around. And following up Sweetie's point, I would definitely like to know whether you thought it was an energy attached to the room or to you?
sweetie (7 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-18)
I understand what you're going through, I've had moments like that myself. I'm wondering though, has any similar instance happened to you lately in your dorm room? Also, I'm just wondering if the thing you thought was in your room was attached to the room itself, or did it have something to do with your energy. Do tell!
rootwomin (28 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-17)
i have personal experience with hauntings at emu, regardless of how others may feel about how the story here was told.

i know of at least one suicide and numerous other violent events that happened in the area that we called 'across the bridge' behind the newer dorms at the time in a apt complex.

there was also a lot of occult activities in the dorms and on campus as well.

the dorms I remember as being haunted (from my having worked and lived in them) I will discuss with owlsong through personal email, however there is something going on there in several of the buildings on campus.

thanks for writing. I'll look at the other stories as well.
froggerrules (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-15)
Yeah, owlsong. No one punched you in the kidneys. I'm going to have to close the book on this one.
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-14)
dear owlsong, I am no expert, but I don't really see anything supernatural in these encounters or whatnot. Images in your head, "feelings" in rooms aren't really enough to merit a haunting. And how could you guage whether or not your "aura" is really working at keeping people at bay?

i believe you are a spiritual person who pays attention to her moods, but I'm not sure this constitutes a "true ghost story..."

anyway, thanks for your patience and for sharing.
owlsong (3 stories) (5 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-14)
Hey FRAWIN (and others who were confused, I suppose). I know that a lot of this seemed like it was in my head, and I imagine there was a lot of superfluous detail, but there was a reason for it.

I brought up many of the unrelated details to try to underscore the fact that I've been brought up to recognize what is in my head and what is actually outside influence. I guess I did a rather poor job of that.

But to more clearly answer most of the sentiments I've gotten on this story: no, my 'vision' was not, I believe, brought about by stress, fatigue, or just general overactive imagination.

Also, just to note once more: the other stories here about EMU were posted by my roommate, who has also experienced strange things in the exact same room.
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-13)
Hi owlsong. I understood the story but what I am confused about is this, you said that you invisioned a man but when this thing at the end of your bed took form it looked like a Velocaraptor from Jurassic Park? Strange! I seem to remember another story on this site about EMU. Thanks for sharing your experience. ~Shelby ❤
frenchpoet (10 stories) (61 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-13)
Actually, I am owlsong's room mate. We both had experiences in the same room. I haven't heard anything about the other buildings.

Basically, owlsong sensed something creepy in the doorway. The idea is that it was bad, whatever it was, and when I'm alone in the room, I feel very uncomfortable at night and I try to avoid the doorway because the feeling is the most intense there.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-11)
Hello owlsong. Thank you for sharing your story with us. It was an interesting read, even if I did find it confusing and hard to follow. I`m having a hard time trying to figure out what you saw, what you thought you saw or what you imagined. I`m not sure, are you? 😕

FRAWIN ❤
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-11)
Welcome Owlsong.
I think someone needs to get in contact with TAPS about EMU. Sounds like this place really has something going on there.
Does or did your room mate experience anything? Keep us posted, it seems as if you are in a hotbed there!
Thank you.
luvparanormal (12 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-11)
I am confused wasn't there already a posting from someone else for this University? Just checking!
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-11)
Hi owlsong. I was curious as to whether or not your room-mate sensed anything off kilter before s/he left or came back from break. This must have had a really dark feel to it since you have had these experiences before and they haven't been as disturbing to you. Do you have any idea why this one might have been any different from the others? As you said, you've only been back 2 days but I'd be interested to know if it's gone for good or not. Can you let us know? Keep us up-dated and thanks for sharing your story.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-11)
hmmmmm, at least you ridded yourself of the negative energy, whatever it may have bee.

Although a bot confusing and patchy, thano you for sharing your story,
God Bless!
jeann (19 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-11)
I am quite confused as to if the things you saw are just visions brought about by imagination, or stress or fatigue, or if they are really entities haunting your dorm... And since you are sensitive to these things, then you they were able to make themselves visible to you, as you seemed unsure of it as yourself.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: