You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Soldiers Or Nurses?

Real Ghost Stories

Soldiers Or Nurses?

 

This is my first post to this site, I hope you enjoy it!

I've always been open minded regarding ghosts, having not had many experiences myself, but family members have had some truly terrifying things happen to them and I believe their accounts!

I'd lived in the same house all of my life until renting my first flat just over two years ago. It was a huge old building, with the look of a Tudor Manor House, but was originally a military war hospital during WW1.

I fell in love with the huge windows and high ceilings and moved in, living alone for the first time at the age of 23.

The first time I walked in on my own I noticed how NOT alone I felt. Up until then someone else had always been with me, helping me move. But now, on my own, I couldn't help but feel as though someone else was in the flat with me.

It didn't feel uncomfortable or negative. It was truly as though I'd walked into someone's house and they were still home.

It didn't bother me. The first few nights were normal and I adjusted to living alone - coming from a big family, I wonder if feeling as though I wasn't alone actually made it easier for me to live alone, if that makes sense?

One day I left the flat, closing my bedroom door as was always my habit at the family home, and returned some hours later. Pushing open my bedroom door, I was surprised to find pairs of my shoes lined up against the other side of the door, bunched up from where I'd pushed the door open against them.

I stared at them for a while. I couldn't have lined my shoes up against the door and then left through the doorway without disturbing them. There was no other entrance to the room, and no one except my landlord had keys to the flat. Even so, no one could have lined up my shoes against the door and got out of the room without having the door push the shoes up against the wall.

I was confused, but still no bad feelings.

As the days passed I slowly unpacked my belongings, made slower by having to go work every day. A few times I'd open drawers that I knew to be empty and find my stuff already in them. Various bits and pieces would be in cabinets and drawers that I knew I hadn't put there. I even asked the family members that had helped me move, and they all assured me that they hadn't taken anything out of the boxes and bags they moved in.

On a few occasions, late at night, I would be in bed trying to sleep and I'd hear noises in the kitchen. My bedroom was next to the kitchen, and the walls of the flat were very thick and I never heard my neighbours at night, so I was sure it was from my kitchen. I'd hear knocks and shuffling, but nothing would be disturbed in the morning. I was way too much of a chicken to check the noises out there and then.

One of the more distinct noises sounded like plastic rattling. I had a set of plastic measuring cups hanging from a cupboard handle in the kitchen, and one day after the noises I knocked the cups against each other to see what it sounded like. It was the exact same sound I'd heard at night.

These aren't scary experiences but I think they're interesting, together with the feeling that I was never truly alone. I'd hear knocks on various doors and other noises but as I lived on the top floor with one neighbour beside me, I could never be sure that it wasn't someone else in the block.

My friends commented after I'd moved out that they'd always felt as though I was in someone else's flat, rather than it being mine.

I no longer live in that building, but think of it often. I wonder if what I experienced was some kind of residual energy of the nurses and soldiers tidying up and going about their business as though it was still a military war hospital.

I enjoyed my time there but wasn't sorry to leave it. It felt as though I was leaving hospital myself, and I was relieved and happy to see the back of it.

I look forward to your comments regarding my experience, and please let me know if you want any clarification.

Thank you!

Other hauntings by LostGirl

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, LostGirl, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

LostGirl (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-01-19)
Hi Chanced,

Thanks for commenting! It's interesting to get the opinion of someone with military background. It struck me as very orderly when I found them and that's what made me wonder about the soldiers, or possibly the nurses tidying up...
Chanced (5 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-01-18)
Hi LostGirl! Awesome post! Thanks for sharing:)
When I was in the military we would all pile our combat boots on the sides of the bed in a orderly row, or outside the door/at the door- again all in a organised line. I don't know if this relates but it did get me thinking! Thanks again!
LostGirl (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-01-16)
Thanks for commenting Macknorton.

This is why I consider it to be more residual - I never felt anything sinister, nothing that happened seemed to interact with me especially... I would leave something somewhere and it would be moved when I returned, like the shoes and things in the drawers and cabinets.

It would be great to know why these things happen! Haha! If it takes energy to move things, like you said, it would make sense for an 'intelligent spirit' to move something I would really notice, perhaps when I was looking.

I still drive past the flat and wonder what the new tenant is making of it all.
LostGirl (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-01-16)
Hi RCRuskin,

It was more of an assumption on my part, knowing the history of the place - it felt as if someone was tidying up after me, or putting my things in order.

I wonder if the sound of the measuring cups rattling was actually due to the cupboard door, from which they were hanging, being opened and closed.

I consider it to be more of a residual haunting rather than intelligent as nothing seemed to be particularly interactive with me. But without speaking to the spirit/whatever it was, I'll never know!

Thanks for commenting.
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-15)
Hi LostGirl

Thanks for sharing these experiences, very baffling. Tweed; LOL, that's a classic. Threads on the doors! I love it!

My family recently got a puppy and I find myself now instinctively picking up sandals and shoes off the floor. I'll probably be doing that for the rest of my life and into the spirit world too!

Those shoes are intriguing. I think we can safely assume based on years of research and eye-witness accounts from seemingly non-lunatic, sober folk that our spirit friends certainly appear to have the ability to move material objects, make them disappear and then reappear.

I am always fascinated by the randomness and seemingly pointlessness of these interactions. I assume it takes these souls some energy / force to be able to lower their vibrations sufficiently to move objects on our apparently sluggish plane of materialistic vibration.

For me the question is not so much "DID a ghost / spirit line up your shoes behind the door" but WHY? Imagine a fully-bodied person doing that. Well, Tweed has her personal reasons and possibly that's the same line of thought going on with this spirit?

I guess it's the old theory that someone connected to the flat / building has passed over, but is not really aware of their passing and continues "living" in the house, possibly seeing you as a spirit (intruder) as well, and is confused by your shoes?

If it's an attempt to unsettle you, well they could do that in a far more sinister way, or if it's an "attention" thing on the spirits part, then why?

Anyway, it's endlessly fascinating and your account was very well written and clear.

Regards

Mack
RCRuskin (9 stories) (815 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-01-15)
Hi, LG.

Details in your experience dissuade me from this being a haunting of folks going on about their life, as if still in a hospital. They, according to your comments, manipulated your possessions. Why would there be plastic measuring cups in a hospital ward, for example?
LostGirl (2 stories) (7 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-01-15)
Thanks for commenting Tweed, I've read a lot of your stories, all so interesting!

It was a lovely flat but so cold during the winter months, could never heat the place properly (which is why I didn't say anything about cold spots etc haha).

It's interesting to think of the different reasons why shoes would be propped up against the door. Mine were in pairs, it seemed very orderly, it was quite a stiff door to move so I hadn't opened it fully when I sort of side-stepped into the room and noticed my shoes lined up behind the door.

It's always comforting to have little habits validated 😜
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-01-15)
Hi there LostGirl,

Loved reading this, reminded me of getting my first flat. No high ceilings or Tudor themes unfortunately. Sounds like an ace place.

The door thing with the shoes is something I do, so I'm surprised to read about it here. For reasons of pure anxiety, perhaps brought on by being brought up with a herd of cats who urinated everywhere (!), as an adult I now put a pair of shoes against the closed bedroom door before going to bed. So I know if the door's been opened while we're asleep. I have NO reason to do this, but its something I'm compelled to do, going on ten or more years. I also put thread in the front and back doors. Jeesh I'm a weirdo, seriously typing this out makes me want to slap myself!

Anyway so I can't help but wonder if your ghostie at the flat had a similar idea. Don't know why they'd do it with a whole lot of shoes though.

There was a custom at hotels in bygone years where shoes were left outside the hotel room door to be cleaned overnight, ready for the next day. But your ghostie put them inside the bedroom door, weird!
Were your shoes bunched against the door in the appropriate pairs or were they more jumbled up and random? Not that it makes much difference, just curious.

Thanks for sharing, adding this to my faves. Nice to know I'm not the only one putting shoes against the bedroom door. What the heck?! LOL

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: