You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: A Client's Vision

Real Ghost Stories

A Client's Vision

 

I work as a In Home Companion for a reputable retirement community. Our main goal is to allow our clients the opportunity to live within their own homes, or the home of a family member and not be forced into the "system" and ultimately into nursing homes. We go into the homes and either clean, cook, visit or just read our clients mail to them, anything that they can no longer do on their own. In keeping with our confidentiality practice, I will name my client Sophie.

I had not met Sophie before the night that I was hired to sit with her until her daughter and son-in-law came home from a concert. This was the first time in years that the daughter had taken time out for herself, so it was a bit difficult herding her out the door in the first place. It is often difficult for the primary caregiver to think that it is alright to leave their loved one in the hands of someone else, even if they are two steps away from a nervous breakdown. The responsibility gene kicks in and they feel, in general, that their own sanity is a small price to pay for the comfort of their ward.

We had an uneventful evening. I made Sophie a small meal and we just talked, and at her request, I read to her out of the Holy Bible. Shortly afterward we began a discussion that should make it on this site, but I can not bring myself to do that. Sophie was ninety-seven and the history that she lived was a magnet to me. I could not stop asking questions in between rest periods. She was amazing and her mind was as sharp as any I have had the fortune of testing.

Sophie told me that when the family brought her the list of candidates for the babysitting of that night, she set the list on her stomach as she lay in bed, placed her hand over the names, closed her eyes and just blanked out her thoughts until a name came to her. What she came up with was a last name. But it was not my last name.

The family called my manager and asked for a caregiver with the name that Sophie chose. They apologized to my manager and explained that Sophie would not let anyone but the person who had that name stay in her house alone with her. My manager and the family were understandably upset as there was no one of that name on the payroll. The daughter really needed a time out, so they tried to come up with a different solution, and thought to deceive Sophie into thinking one of the caregivers had that name.

The next day, my manager told me that I would not be going to Sophie's house and explained why. She mentioned the name and I just stared at her. My application only shows my married name. The name that Sophie had in her mind was none other than my maiden name.

Near the end of the evening together, I went to make her a light snack and get a drink ready for her bedside table. I was out of her sight for approximately twenty minutes, just peeking in to make sure everything was still good. As I stood in Sophie's doorway to ask if she would like anything else before bed, she asked me why I walked out on her earlier. I knew I had been in the kitchen and so I asked her what she meant.

Minutes before I was to walk back into her bedroom a light colored clothed individual was visiting with her in the room. In my job I wear a very light green scrub suit, so I thought perhaps her mind had wandered back a few more minutes than usual and thought to tell her that I did not walk out, and I was sorry if I had in the middle of a conversation.

I prepared her night clothes and took her in for the nightly bathroom process and returned her to her room. I then took the dog out for a short walk. When I got back in the home I checked in on Sophie and she again asked why I left in the middle of a conversation. I was at a loss. I had no idea what was going on and tried to calm Sophie down by telling her that a lot was on my mind and I thought the conversation was over and apologized. As I was outside the home, I knew it was not me that she saw, but could come up with no explanation.

I thought perhaps she was stressed as this was the first time in a while someone else was caring for her instead of her daughter. I stood in her doorway and asked if I should perhaps turn on the overhead lights instead of leaving just the Christmas lights on. She loved the glow that the lights gave off and only wanted those lights all over the home on.

Sophie then shuddered so violently I thought she was having a seizure. She whipped her head to the left so that she was no longer looking at me, but towards the outside window. I ran to her side and grabbed her hand. She refused to look at me, or even turn her head my way. I asked her what was wrong, what could I do to help? All she did was lift up her right arm, point her finger out the room into the hall and said "What do you see out there?".

I chilled. Shivers went up and down the entire length of my body and I struggled with myself to actually turn around. I closed my eyes, looked down at Sophie and all of my Motherly instincts kicked in. I was going to protect this little lady if it was the last thing I was able to do. I wanted to call my family to tell them I loved them all, I wanted to right all the wrongs of the day, but I did NOT want to look out that door and see that someone had come in while I was out walking Sophie's dog.

Hanging above her "down" stairs was an Autumn wreath with dried flowers and grasses, beautiful really, but that was all I saw. She told me to look in the wreath. I did, nothing. I handed her glasses to her and asked if it was still there, and yes it was. I asked for a description. Her hand tightened in mine and she said "He looks lovely. More like a country sunset makes you feel than anything else wondrous..." I thought, Well, crud, what is it?

She fell asleep shortly thereafter with me holding her hand and staying by her side while glancing out in the hall repeatedly. As her breathing became heavier I said out loud: "If you are here to scare Sophie, I have to ask you to leave. We do not want you here. If you are here to take Sophie, I am afraid I can not stop you, but please do it in peace..."

The next morning my manager called and let me know that Sophie had passed on several hours after I left her home. She had died in her sleep with a smile on her lips and a content sigh. I have often wondered, since then, what drew her to me and how did she know my name having never met me? Most importantly I wonder if I was what she needed that night, and not only who she wanted.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Indiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, whitebuffalo, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

DAP (1 stories) (3 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-02-27)
Great story. We need more like this. Amazing things happen with the elderly. Wish I could make a lifetime career working with them.
Kirsten (4 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-31)
😁 ❤ Hello, I think that your story is very interesting. The comment below is only my opinion, so if you do not agree with what I think, then I am sorry. It seems to me that you were "chosen" to be with Sophie that evening. I mean think about it. What were the chances of your maiden name being the same last name that Sophie randomly picked out. I think that you weret she needed on the last night of her life. Perhaps you were the only person that was right to handle the strange things that went on that evening before she passed away. Perhaps her daughter would not have been able to handle her mother claiming to see invisible things, who knows?
TheDifficultKind78 (5 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-11)
This was an amazing story. Thank you for sharing this with us. It sounds as if something was pulling the two of you together that evening. Be blessed my friend.
whitebuffalo (guest)
+2
14 years ago (2010-03-21)
No, Frauline, I have never been to the Philippines.
When I was serving our country in the military, I had the honor of having being "given" a (what they called) hand servant who was Pinay. What a sweet, delightful young lady she was. We broke a few of the "rules" and she became a friend, and we ignored the invisible lines that were supposed to separate us. I taught her American English, and she was able to teach me a few things in Tagalog. I am afraid she was a much better student than I was.
I still believe the hardest part of leaving that particular post was leaving her behind. We tried everything we could think of, at the time, to bring her with me.
Wa-do.
FraulineLecker (1 stories) (20 posts)
+2
14 years ago (2010-03-21)
Hi! Have you ever been to the Philippines?
How did you learn tagalog? It's cool

Anyways yeah your right! They know a lot of different things and we could learn a lot from their experiences... And that includes history

Take Care
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-19)
Salamat, FraulineLecker.
It WAS a rather odd occurrence, that I really still have no real answers for. I was Blessed with the time I was allowed with Sophie, and here very recently, I was again reminded of her in a very real way.

I, too, have an affinity to the elderly. If I could honestly choose to live my life surrounded by one class of peoples, I do believe I would choose it to be them. They have SO much to offer us. They ARE history, and can teach us all a great deal.
Wa-do.
FraulineLecker (1 stories) (20 posts)
+2
14 years ago (2010-03-19)
Hi! Whitebuffalo

Thank you for sharing this story with us, I find it very overwhelmed and same time a bit sad... She must have had a vision or she can feel it that her time is about to come and she wants to be with you... Maybe because you are also sensitive with this kind of things...

If I'm given a chance someday I want to take care of elderly people because they are special to me... And also to take of my parents when they get older and make sure that they are getting all the things they needed just like now

Thanks and Take Care
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-24)
Hello, ddesimd.
I have no idea who/what Sophie saw. All she would tell me really was that there was a "face in the autumn wreath". She tried to get me to see the eyes and the mouth (I really do not recall if she mentioned a nose or not, it has been a mite too long ago).
Whoever or whatever this was, I have the firm belief that it was the one who was sent to help her find her way Home.
Wa-do.
ddesimd (1 stories) (3 posts)
+2
14 years ago (2010-02-19)
Thank you for your comments on my story about A. I've enjoyed this story very much, and have noticed similarities between the two, especially the apparent psychic aspects shared by Sophie and A.

However, I'm not clear about what Sophie was seeing. Was it a man? Somebody she had known? Or was it something non-human or humanlike?
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-07)
Actually, this entire night took place in my client Sophie's personal home, OFF campus of the retirement community that I work for.
I am an In Home Companion. Meaning I go INTO their house to try and KEEP them there, and not bring them INTO "the system". Too many of the elderly get lost there.
If I REALLY told you a story or two straight out of the Main House, Evergreen Place, I think there would be quite a few people echoing your fear.
I was definitely frightened this night. I had visions of never making it home to my family (Thank all that is Holy that they were incorrect visions!), and of wishing I had been more loving when I left them for work.
But this one... This one we needn't be scared of. THIS one, was an Angel.
Thank you for reading my account.
zacksawyer (1 stories) (20 posts)
+2
15 years ago (2009-03-07)
That was epic. I never did like retirement homes or community, it's not that I don't like being around old people, I just find it creepy like hospitals (Specially hospitals at night). Your experience at one of these retirement communities justifies my fear. I must hand it to you, you are one brave soul, I would have panicked and flee at that situation. 😳
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-03)
Praise Be, I know EXACTLY what you are saying there, Dixie.
I remember, when I was very young, I never wanted to go anywhere on my own. I always preferred to be with someone. Even if I did not particularly care for them. I have no idea if it was the fear of not knowing what I would face, or I just did not want to be alone.
I think it VERY fitting that at the end of our lives, there just MAY be someone that will gladly take our hand and take a walk with us. How wonderful that will be.
Thank you.
DixieChick101 (4 stories) (53 posts)
+2
15 years ago (2009-03-01)
What a wonderful story. I enjoyed reading your recount of that night. I have from several different, different account of stories like this. They make you feel good and give you peace of mind. That when you're own time comes. A someone will be there lovingly to guide help you along the way, to where we are going. ❤
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
+2
15 years ago (2009-02-01)
miegatalipisme Kirie otheosmou, miapostis apemou. Proshes istin voithianmou Kirie tissotiriasmou.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-01)
In the Name of The Great Spirit,
And by the power of His Blood and His Mercy,
We bind all spirits in the air, and the fire and the water,
In the ground and the underground and the nether world,
And we bind any satanic forces of nature.
We bind all curses, hexes, or spells, or any occult activity previously used.
We bind the interaction and interplay of spirits.
And we claim the protection
Of the Great Spirit
Over this house and grounds, and over every person here.
We call upon the ancestors of the land
And the company of angels to surround this place,
Making it both safe and sacred.
And we call out to you, O Great Spirit.
Come now and fill this place, never to leave!
We pray in the name of the Great Spirit, Amen.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-27)
I have to admit, chelleck, this probably shocked me as much as it did only because I had walked outside of her home to walk the dog for her. I truly thought someone had been granted access to the home in my absence and swore that it was going to be our last night on earth there together. After all was said and done, though, I was relieved that she had someone waiting to help her to the Other Side. Sophie was honestly a remarkable woman.
Thank you for your comment.
chelleck (3 stories) (56 posts)
+2
16 years ago (2008-03-25)
I appreciated this story. It reminded me of the story of my great great grandfather's last words. He also past with a smile on his face, asking if those around him could hear the beautiful music. (I do not remember this event as I was only one month old at the time.

I was there when my grandmother past a few years ago. She kept saying the light was too bright, and asked that the light be turned off.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-14)
Thank you, Athena, that means a lot to me. I get to a point, sometimes, when I feel that I am totally lost in my own element and feel totally ignorant to everything!

Flutter, is it not astounding what we can learn from those so close to the Other Side? I have only been in contact with those soon leaving us, here lately, a few times (I am around the elderly daily, but I meant to say those that were leaving SHORTLY after I was with them) but have learned a bit more every time. And every experience is different and (so far) beautiful.

Thanks Haleybug 😉, Sometimes when I type the words, I am unsure how they will sound to the reader. I wanted to make sure that ALL knew I was not trying to put Sophie in a bad light.
Athena (9 stories) (222 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-12)
"The responsibility gene kicks in and they feel, in general, that their own sanity is a small price to pay for the comfort of their ward..." Your insights astound me. This is going right into my favorite stories, beautiful!
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-01)
Just got to this story Whitebufflo, It is amazing what the elderly can tell you. I use to work with the elderly in their homes. Mostly were in wheel chairs. Some could only move their mouth and talk. So what Sophia told you I can actually believe quite well.
My pop told my sister and I when we visit with him"Look at him he is waiting for me" we said who is waiting pop(he was looking at the bright light above him at the hospital.
He said Jesus he is looking at me, isn't he the best. My sister and I looked around the room we did not see anything nor did we feel anything.
Four hours later pop went home with Jesus.
haleybug (10 stories) (89 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-18)
HEY WB,
I don't see where you thought you sounded mean I understand where you are coming from 😁, sorry that I just now got to this I've had a busy week. ❤ HALEY
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-17)
Oh, no, I sure did not Kim. Sorry about that.
Ok, just read it. Thanks, I think I will take you up on that. Some days I just feel so swamped with the things that are going on and it does not seem like many people know how to respond when I ask questions. I can not blame them though, sometimes I can imagine I sound quite unstable.

Today I had a meeting with the head nurse at work and I tell you what. I think I floored her with some of the questions. The reason for the meeting was a follow up after "The Sophie Incident". (Replace Sophie with her real name, that is what she really called it) They like to check on our well being after loosing a client. And I tell you, I am whooped.
I had to explain all that transpired that night over again and give her an answer to what I thought could have been the cause of all of that. I told her she would not like to hear what I thought and we "argued" for a bit about it.
So I took a deep breath and just took that dive. She stared at me a good two minutes, not saying a word. I asked if she thought I may need a psych eval now and laughed.
She said, real slow, "Nooo, but I seem to have read this story somewhere, are you Whitebuffalo?" I just stared at her then and said "Uh, What?"
Small world. 😉 Hi Natalie, nice to know you believe too.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-17)
Buffy,
Did you see my last comment and answers (although some of my actions are kind of lame).
Just wanted to be sure I did not offend in any way... Like you said still VERY new to ALL of this.

God Bless!
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-15)
Buffy,
I am sorry, I really do not know how to relay the messages that come around as of yet. I will acknowledge the name or place, then try to work it into a conversation or a message in a way that may not raise to much suspicion. Cornball, right? Well, it has been my expreience that if you simply blurt out a message to someone, not only do they think you are crazy, but they will ignore the message.

My relays (for lack of a better descritpion or word) seem to work pretty close to yours. Always the right ear, always. If not acknowledged, I will see the names, for example 10-12 patients will have that same name in one day, highly unlikely-- or 10-12 stories on the news will happen in the location I am ignoring.

Sept 11, New York. The name of the city reverberated in my head for weeks before the attack---but... I did not know what it meant.

Keep me posted. Please feel free to e mail me on my e mail address also, I would like to continue this exchange. I kinda' think I need this sharing.

God Bless!
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-15)
OK, yeah, that makes sense. Names pop into my head kind of like they do for you too, then, Kim. Sometimes it feels as if someone is standing behind me and whispering the name or place in my right ear, never the left (I wonder why?) and then waiting for me to acknowledge it. If I do not, I end up with a headache too. If I am busy and do not check into it in the amount of time that "it" thinks it should take, I seem to see things written down. For instance, I will be going through paperwork for work and see the location in the paperwork. Or I will be looking at a bulletin board and the name will stand out. It is almost like it can not or will not be ignored.
How do you know who it applies to? I think I have a message for someone, but how do I find that person? Do you know?
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-15)
Buffy,
Thank you for responding. I also am new to accepting and trying to live with and appreciatte my... Whatever it is.

Often as I read a story, hear about a situation or talk with others, names of people and/or places will be whispered in my mind (sounds odd, right?). If I ignore this, the whispering becomes much louder until I get a head ache--nothing to knock me off my feet, but it is there. Then, if ignored, I will see these names of people and places every where I look for a few hours or a few days.

I have learned that I will try to aknowledge that the names are signifcant, follow up if I can, other wise, just acknowledging helps.

This seems to have been some help in a few circumstances, otherwise, most people think I need to visit a doctor.

THANK YOU for acknowledging my question, although I know it was strange, I had a connection there I needed to recognize, like I explained.

Thank GOD for this site, you, and others like you.

God Bless!
Kim
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-15)
Kim,
I hope you do not mind, but I left your comment for last. I think you know a lot more than what you are letting on. Do the names just pop in your head, or do you see them in written form (like the proverbial writing on the wall)? At times can you HEAR them, as if whispered from behind? I only ask as I am still trying to wade through my new found, uh, new found... Whatever this is.
Those TWO names mean a LOT. Deboriah (Deborah) is Sophie's daughter. She is the one who owns the home that Sophie lived in for a short while.
And, the second name... While I do not want to let too much of my personal life be public knowledge, you have hit on my Maiden name, or rather a variation of it.
Nicely done.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-15)
Hey Haley,
Maybe Sophie did have ESP, I do not know. What I do know is the story within this story, the one I can not bring myself to post was worthy of Novel status. The things she had lived through, people she had met (not necessarily famous, maybe more like infamous), time that she let slip through her fingers, and the message that her existence could be to anyone who knew her was astounding. It sounds like I am being mean when I say this, but anyone who truly knows me knows that this is high praise: The woman WAS history. She did not have to read it in a book, she lived it to it's fullest, even from the meager means that she was afforded.

ChrisB, Thank you for your words of encouragement. Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on your view, I am no stranger to death. In my occupation I loose more clients than I gain confidants. But this was honestly a brick wall of "Wait, wait, wait. WHAT was THAT all about?" And truthfully, Sophie is the first of my clients for me to feel this close to in one nights time. Generally I am slow to "cotton" to people and this was instantaneous.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-15)
Sorry I have not answered all of your comments earlier, things got kind of busy around here. 😆 Ahh, life just took over there!

Just so everyone knows, I sure do not mind if you shorten my name on here, it makes me feel kid friendly. We have a children's television station called The W.B.

Some day, Kat, I will tell of my "coincidences" that brought me to my husband, but that is QUITE lengthy and may be considered another type of story. But, it was one of the hardest life's journeys that I have been on, and most of the people who knew us back then only gave us a couple of years expectancy, and here we are, 16 years later!

Hey Shelby! Whew, I tell you what. I think G1 decided that he was tired of hearing the children argue about who loved who first, and he decided to throw his weight around a bit. He had things all over the kitchen going off. Both kids just stood in the middle of the room (Well, G3 was sitting up on the island and Essie was wandering around the island) whispering "I'm sorry, I'm sorry..." Then after that a bit of "tinny" music played for a couple minutes. I think that may have been his way of saying "Peace out".
As to the story: I think what really had me wondering is the fact that the wreath gave Sophie a fright, but then she also said it was so beautiful. And I think the proper name of those wreaths is a "fall wreath" but another name for Fall is Autumn...

Hi FRAWIN! Boy, this sure is part of my Life Journey. All the coincidences, and this happened right smack dab in the middle of everything else that was happening in our home. I guess I am just having a hard time with thinking that this experience was as much for my benefit as it was for Sophie. She was truly a dynamic individual that I wish I could have gotten to know better, but then how much more can you know someone than when you help them Cross Over?
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-15)
Wow WhiteBuffalo. That was a great story I will have to agree with everyone here who said that you were part of a miracle. It must have been hared for you to hear that sophie is gone. But death is a chapter we all have to go through. But it never means it is an end. Just a new begining. By the way what you do is a great thing. I bet I couldn't do it but this shows what kind of good hart you have. I hopew to hear from you soon and take care

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: