You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Childhood House: Fear Of The Dark

Real Ghost Stories

Childhood House: Fear Of The Dark

 

This story happened directly to me, but as I was a toddler I don't remember it, just the consequences. With that said, this is what my mother and grandmother told me.

When I was 3 years old, I started to cry a lot at night. The only way I would sleep was in my mom's arms and she had to be walking, if she stopped to rest, to sit, to try to sleep, I would wake up and start crying. This went on for a couple of months, my mom was exhausted, drinking coffee like crazy, so one day she told my grandmother what was going on. She told her to take me to a priest but she refused so my grandmother took me instead. She says the moment I stepped into the priest's office he looked at me with a worried look on his face and said I had a dark energy surrounding me. As a "treatment" he started reading passages from the bible.

He sent me home for the day and said I should visit him from now on to continue the readings. I don't know how much time passed until I went there again, but this time things went differently. I got there, he sat me in front of him and started to read. Granny says I started to act out a bit, nothing serious, but I wasn't behaving normally. Things escalated and next thing she knows I was getting up and slapping the bible out of the priest's hands. He refused to see me again in fear things would get worse.

Since then I can't sleep alone and without a light on. In fact, during my life I went through phases, first I would sleep with the lights on, door closed, tv on and with sound and of course with my mother. Then I would turn off the sound of the tv, then the lights, then one day I started sleeping with only the lights on and now, at 21, I sleep with the hallway light on and with the door open, alone. I'm still terrified of the dark.

My mom has told me some creepy episodes from when I was little, like waking up in the middle of the night, sitting on my bed and starting shaking and eyes and mouth wide open, being afraid of my bedroom, hearing things at night. I once saw a lady in a white dress there, my sister saw a hooded black figure, she swears it had red eyes, going up the street at midnight. I am now living in the house above my childhood home and so far so good, I feel watched sometimes but that's about it.

Please feel free to share your thoughts on what happened when I was 3, because I really don't know.

Other hauntings by Cosmica

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Cosmica, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Cosmica (2 stories) (8 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-02-08)
First of all thank you for your comments. Yes, it could have been my age, could have been boredom, could have been a number of logical, non paranormal things. The thing is, I can't shake the feeling of it being connected to that house. I've asked my mom if she took me to see a doctor but she can't remember. I really wish that was something normal, I do. But I guess i'll never know.

Rook

Yes the visits stopped because the priest felt it would only get worse.
I asked my mom about how I got so afraid of the dark and she says I was not afraid of the dark... I was terrified of it, I wouldn't go the bathroom alone at night (even tho it was right next to my room), I wouldn't sleep alone (I still have to sleep with my mother sometimes and i'm 21). I just hated that house when there was no light. Just so you have an idea, my sister used to lock me in the bathroom with no lights on (when I was like 13) just to mess with me because I would scream non stop until she turned the lights on.

Again, it can all be just something normal, but with all that I feel coming from that house, and what I have experienced, I just can't shake the thought of something paranormal
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-01-29)
First things first...

Did you have colic as an infant? If so its possible that it 're-visited' when you were 3. Just something to consider that is 'non-paranormal' that may have caused your bouts of crying.

Next: Acting out as scripture was being read to you. Again this just may have been you being board and restless. Again, non-paranormal things that come naturally for a child that age.

I am a bit concerned over what this 'priest' said the first time he saw you...

"She says the moment I stepped into the priest's office he looked at me with a worried look on his face and said I had a dark energy surrounding me. As a "treatment" he started reading passages from the bible."

Children, especially infants and toddlers are close enough to the 'veil' that their innocence is enough to protect them from 'dark/negative energy or spiritual attachments. I am not saying it 'can't happen' but its rare.

You stated;

"Since then I can't sleep alone and without a light on."

Did the visits with the priest continue or was that 'second' visit where you slapped the Bible out of the Priests hands your last visit with him?

I ask because its hard to say 'why' you may be afraid to have all the lights off. There are way to few details in this experience and without knowing what happened between you at age 3 and when you started needing 'certain conditions' to sleep.

My opinion here is that there are any number of natural causes that could have caused these experiences and as such there are 'natural/normal ways to take care of them. That of course is just my opinion. Thanks for sharing.

Respectfully,

Rook
Bee_Beans (6 stories) (41 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-01-29)
Hi Cosmica

Thanks for your post.

It is possible that your behaviour when you were 3 was separation anxiety and just a touch of being spoiled:). I agree with lady-glow. The way you behaved with the priest just sounds like you were acting out of boredom (again, a touch spoiled?). These are pretty normal behaviours in a child of 3 and I'm sure most parents can attest to something similar at some stage of their children's lives.

If possible, maybe you should ask your mum if she took you to the doctor as well as the priest. If not, why not?

Thanks again for your post.

Peace.
Cosmica (2 stories) (8 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-27)
Lady-glow

Yes, maybe it was something age related, I just got bored of it and wanted out, but I don't feel like that was the case you know? I don't remember it, but the way I feel in the dark is just, I can't explain, but my mom did went to a doctor because of the coffee intake, she had damage to her stomach, and probably she did take me too (she would rush to the hospital everytime we fell)

No, my previous story was in another house, but when the possibility of living above my childhood house came along I had awful nightmares everynight for 1 month straight until we decided not to move in. Then when we did I used to hear noises coming from inside the house when I was alone while we were moving in, but after we settled, nothing really happened, apart from having to always shut the door to the dinning room, I just can't stand the energy there at night

Thank you for your comment:)
Cosmica (2 stories) (8 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-01-27)
KatelynC

Thank you for your comment, I seriously can't say if that was the case, but it is a probability. The only thing that happens now is the occasional sleepwalking and talking while I sleep
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-01-27)
Did your parents ever take you to a doctor? Did they consider the possibility of a medical condition making you act like that? 😕

In my opinion, when you "...started to act out a bit, nothing serious, but I wasn't behaving normally. Things escalated and next thing she knows I was getting up and slapping the bible out of the priest's hands. He refused to see me again in fear things would get worse."
It's possible that you got bored listening to something that, given your age, looked like nonsense and just wanted to get the heck out of there.

I find it odd that the priest would give up on helping you out of fear, I would expect for him to, at least, send you to see someone more apt to help.

Did all of these things happen in the same house from your previous story?

On thing is for sure, if I had acted like you when I was that age, I'd had gotten a good spanking.😭
KatelynC (12 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-01-26)
Cosmica,

I think what you might be experiencing is When a ghost attaches on to you. When you sat on the bed with eyes and mouth open, the entity was probably trying to takeover body of yours to feel "Alive" again

KatelynC

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: