You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Marietta, Georgia Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

Marietta, Georgia Ghost

 

August 5, 1997. I was driving home one night with my wife and baby son in the car. We were going through Marietta trying to get home to Fair Oaks, having only lived in the area for a week or so. I figured out where I should turn, and I made a left and went past six or seven large houses on my side of the road, and on the far side I couldn't see much but trees and then possibly a glimpse of what I then realized must be a cemetery.

As we were coming up to being level with the entrance to the cemetery, I saw a small figure stood in the middle of the road. My instant reaction was to hit the brakes, but I wasn't fast enough and shut my eyes quickly, thinking that I was about to run over someone.

I heard nothing. I was expecting a thump, or a scream, or at least some indication that I had hit something. I stopped to car, awaking my wife, who questioned why I had stopped. I told her that I saw someone, and she said nothing. I got out the car and went to the rough spot where I thought the person was stood. I gave the house next to me a quick glance and saw lights on inside, so I decided it was best to get going again.

I drove in silence, and my wife continued to question me about what happened. I told her that I saw someone quite short stood in the road. She obviously thought I was tired and when we finally got home I fell straight asleep. That night I dreamed.

My dream was almost exactly the same experience I had. My wife wasn't in the car, but my son was. I turned onto the exact same road where I had seen the ghost (I always call it a ghost seems as it can't have been real). I drove exactly where I had been earlier, but this time I saw just a snippet of the person I hit. I think it was a girl, I saw pastel pink clothing with lines in the fabric, and it was quite loose and baggy but not too big. But her face was different. I saw one flash - not even a second - steely grey eyes but they were very round and innocent, and she had a large forehead. I think her hair was blonde but it was very messy and I didn't really see it. Then I saw her again and her eyes looked brown - rounder and fuller. Then I close my eyes (in the dream obviously) and that was it. I got out the car and saw my wife lying in the road - what I saw has stayed with me a long time - she was wearing her work clothes, and quite a long, black coat. Her face was covered with her hair and her eyes were closed. She was smiling, but then she almost dissolved - like an aspirin does in water, from the edges inward. Then I heard a child's voice, and it said something like "I want to be...ROURKE!" Rourke is the only word I can think of that quite fits what he or she said (it sounded like a girl).

I woke up the next morning feeling a lot better for some reason, but I never told my wife about that dream. I guess she forgot about that night too, so I never brought it up again.

I went back to the cemetery the next day and found it almost deserted - just an old man sat under a tree on a small bench, so I moved on. I found nothing of interest in there, so I turned around and went home again after about ten steps. I haven't really thought much about my experience since, but I always think I saw a ghost.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Georgia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Steve, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

SpenceDaddy (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-24)
Creepy... I grew up in Marietta. Good story. I wonder what street that was on.

Thanks for sharing.
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-15)
O man, Stever, you have GOT to do some research on that name and see if it's in the cemetery. I would be very interested.

Thanks.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-15)
Hi steve. Thanks for sharing your story with us. I believe that you could have seen an entity but it to maybe possible that your brain was tired and you started having visions. It happened to be onece and when I told everybody that there is someone on the road everyone saw it. But when we got closer nothing was there. But I still believe that it could have been a ghost. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-15)
Steve, hi. I think your little girl was a residual haunting. The fright you must have endured when you thought you'd hit someone would be something that would certainly stay with you for a long time. I think the dream was your mind expressing your terror at the thought of having hit someone with your car.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-14)
Thank you for sharing your story with us. It was interesting but since there will be no discussion, it`s just another ghost story.

FRAWIN 😊
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-14)
It is quite possible given the location that you passed that you either did see an enitiy of some sort or at the very least, an imprint of someone that has been left. They have not passed on, or if they have, they have left some type of imprint in time for some reason.

As I see you are not participating, I will not venture any further with my comments, I do so have questions and other comments to follow up should there be any answers to the history, but... Well I suppose it is your porogative not discuss.

I would like to say thank you for sharing the amount of story you did... But it kind of left me empty, needing further detail to make the story complete.

God Bless!
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-14)
Hi Steve. I believe you probably saw a ghost. There are lots of ghosts in the cemetaries, no doubt why. Why that little ghostly girl would come to you in your dream and then involve your wife like that, I am not sure. Do you think you may have had tired eyes driving that night? Then maybe it spooked you so bad to the point of having that crazy dream? Not debunking your experience just a suggestion. I even try to debunk and rationalize my own experiences. I've yet to see a ghost or spirit in a cemetary but I have felt things. I also don't pass many and I don't go creeping around them, especially at night like some people. Where I live, the gates at the cemetaries are closed at dusk anyway because of terrible people doing weird things. I live know where near any graveyards thank God! Thanks for sharing? ~Shelby ❤ 😊
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-14)
Hello Steve.
I will try not to ask questions, as I see that you prefer not to discuss this, but it is in my nature to seek out anything that is not in completely clear in my mind 😊.
What can I say. I think you saw a ghost. I think the reason she became your wife in the dream may be (by the way, wonderful description of the dissolving look) to prove to you that your experience was real. You were questioning it, as is natural for the human mind, and you needed verification.
That being done through your dream, you had no question. Therefore the dream, though a bit confusing to you, caused you too feel better about the whole situation.
Thank you for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: