You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Historic Courthouse

Real Ghost Stories

The Historic Courthouse

 

A few months ago my husband Cuyler and I decided to go check out a building on my historic trip list, Yes as dorky as it may sound I have one of those.

We decided to revisit a very beautiful small town called Blairsville. It is very simple with limited attractions but full of history. Completely surrounded by the Georgia mountains and full of old fashion southern hospitality. I was nine months pregnant with our daughter and we thought while Cuyler had sometime off, because I was going to be induced soon, and Blairsville isn't but a stones throw away from where we live why not go sight seeing.

For anyone who hasn't been there, in the center of the town square is the historic court house. It was built in 1899 and was designed by J.W. Golucke.

The courthouse was placed on the national register of historic places in 1980. They have had to do some repairs due to lack of care in the 1920's but the changes were minimal at best.

It stands beautifully in the middle of a small grassy lot built mainly of brick with a tall white clock and bell tower. On the lawn to the side of the building in a glass box casing is one of the original bells.

The building has two floors the first being the museum, as we walked in we were greeted by a kind older woman, beautiful hardwood floors and the glorious scent of cherry wood which I'm guessing is what the floors are made of. Hanging on the wall in front of us is a display of old farming equipment with black and white photos of fields, crops and farmers working them.

Folded flags, old advertisements and newspaper clippings were hanging in frames on the opposite wall along with a few metal signs right outside of the first room. The first room was rather small with an old school desk, a sewing mannequin wearing a simple flower patterned dress and glass casing filled with a lot of miscellaneous things; thimbles and old buttons, postage stamps, coins a pair of women's laced gloves, tea cups and plates etc. There were pictures of classes, families and the town itself.

The second room was a bit more intense for me mainly because for some weird reason when I am around older items I usually feel a lot of the emotion that was put into it by the person who owned it or used it before. I'm not sure if There is a name for that or not and I know it sounds far fetch but believe me it can happen.

Back to the second room, it was filled with multiple things to do with the war. Uniforms, bullets, guns and swords, letters, patches and I think there was a pair of boots under the glass though I won't swear to it.

As soon as I stepped in I wanted to walk right back out because the whole room was filled with such a heavy feelings of anger,sadness,fear as I walked around the room multiple images, sounds and scents began flooding me. I could smell the gun powder,sweat,rain, blood and dirt. I could hear the screams, shouted commands, and very faintly for a moment gun fire not long after that I felt a shooting pain in my chest and I decided that it would be best if I moved along.

I believe that possibly I was experiencing someone else's final moments. That or because there was so many artifacts in the room I was just over flooded with too many memories from certain things at once.

Either way, I was officially unnerved and I wanted out of there so I stepped into the hall and waited for Cuyler.

Not long after he came out we went to the second floor which was the old court room, they now use it for small gatherings where they sometimes let people play blue grass music and on the holidays set up an area to have pictures with Santa among other things. Though nothing was going on that day.

It was a rather large room, if I had to guess it could probably hold up to 70 maybe 100 people somewhat comfortably. There was still a judge's bench and a witness stand on both sides. Roped off of course, and the room was filled with pews. The walls lined with old windows with the original panes and pictures of the court room when it was still being used for cases.

As I walked around the room I noticed that something felt unsettling like I was being watched. I looked around realizing that Cuyler and I were still the only ones in the room, so I stuck close to him. As we looked at pictures of old I felt two firm aggressive hands on my hips and I froze a cold gust of air on the back of my neck sent chills to my core.

It was then that I heard a male voice whisper in my ear," Guilty, I was guilty and freed." I looked at Cuyler and asked if we could go it was then that the grip tightened for a minute but thankfully let go. He looked at me funny and said sure asking if I was ok, I nodded and started to walk toward the steps when I heard the same voice whisper "fools". I didn't bother to look back I just kept walking. What he was guilty of I don't know and don't want to know.

Even with all the strange encounters I really enjoyed our visit to the court house and when we pass through Blairsville every now and then I still can't help but gawk at the beautiful building, Even with all of its dark history.

There are still a few places I would like to go see in Blairsville and look forward to seeing what they have in store for us, if anything at all.

Thanks for reading this I hope You enjoyed it.

Other hauntings by Lilwolf

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Lilwolf, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Lilwolf (8 stories) (66 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-07-20)
Cups, Georgia is definitely the place to go for history and the paranormal. I have lived in different parts of it through out my life.

The scenery is gorgeous too as well.
The court house was amazing I haven't been in it since then because site seeing has been limited lately but I would love to be able to go back.

If You like stories about historic places I have more on my profile. There is one about the Henn theater in Murphy north Carolina and the old boarding house which was also there.

I also plan on posting a few other stories about some haunted places I have visited.

If You ever get the chance to come visit Georgia I think You will like it. Thanks for adding me to Your favorites ❤

Lilwolf
Cups (7 stories) (159 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-07-19)
Ah, I love this story, Lilwolf! I immediately added you to my favorite posters; I'm excited to read more of your accounts. I too love old buildings & well... Anything old; this courthouse sounds super-cool, steeped in history. ❤ Georgia is one state I'd love to visit someday... The south seems to have a lot of ghostly "stuff" going on though I've only spent time in Louisiana. Can't wait to read more.

Chilling encounter, but interesting. Thanks for sharing!
Lilwolf (8 stories) (66 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-04-12)
L_Mak The paranormal never has really bothered me that much. Unnerved me sure but I was not there to investigate the paranormal side but more of the historic building itself. I love history and I was only 5 minutes from my Doctors office so I knew I was safe. 😊
L_Mak (9 posts)
-1
6 years ago (2018-02-26)
First of all, why would you go to a place that's potentially haunted when you're 9 months pregnant and susceptible to such goings on. Obviously a courthouse would have terrible history. Not that I am saying it was ghosts from past.
Lilwolf (8 stories) (66 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-01-28)
RcRuskin, Its in the US Blairsville Georgia, very nice simple town. I'm sorry for the confusion, I wish that We could visit Europe.

Jubeele, Hey I am doing pretty good thanks, and Yourself? I am sorry for the confusion I meant the state of Georgia.

Thank You, I always try to give my readers a good visual. I don't think that I have heard of psychometrey before,I'm going to have to do some research on that.

I do plan on shielding myself in the future before going into museums or any place with a lot of history though I never thought about it before going into an antique shop but it makes sense. 😊

Hopefully I can learn how to control it more with some research While it is interesting at times it can also be overwhelming.

As for the spirit that grabbed my hips all I can say is YIKES! I am not sure what he got away with but I sure wish he hadn't. I do know that he did not feel like a good man just by how he treated me when he decided to make himself known he seemed very demanding and controlling.

It literally made me nauseous when he came in contact with me. A dark soul that one.

I don't have any pictures of the courthouse or the town. I use to but they were on my old cellphone, if You are interested in seeing it You can Google Blairsville ga, historic court house and there are some pictures of the inside and A lot of the outside. It is one of the better known historic buildings of the town.

Thank each of you for reading this and for the insight Jubeele.

Lilwolf ❤ ❤
Jubeele (26 stories) (886 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-27)
Hi Lilwolf! How are you? I had the same thought as RC about Georgia, but realised that you meant somewhere in the US. A historic trip is a great idea and not "dorky" at all. Blairsville sounds like a fabulous place and you've made it come so vividly alive.

When I close my eyes, I could almost "see" the objects in the various rooms that you visited. It sounds to me that you may have a touch of psychometry in your abilities. We all leave electromagnetic impressions on objects that we touch, like some kind of psychic fingerprint. People with your ability can pick up these energy patterns. You may wish to "shield" yourself in future before visiting places with a lot of history or even antique stores.

I shivered when I read about the hands that grabbed you. It sounds like the spirit of someone gloating how he got away with murder, doesn't it? 😨

Were you allowed to take any photos of the place? I'd love to see them if you have any. Thanks for sharing this experience. 😊
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-27)
Sorry, RC, but we can't change whatever place an OP states it happened. It doesn't even show in the editor.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (817 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-27)
Another fascinating encounter, Lilwolf, but something incongruous immediately jumped out at me, and it has nothing to do with your story.

Georgia, in addition to being a US state, is also the name of a country in Eastern Europe. From some details you related, I don't think your experience happened in Europe, though I could be wrong.

If I'm right, would it be possible for one of the moderators to correct it?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: