You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Phantom Vehicle

Real Ghost Stories

Phantom Vehicle

 

In August of 2006, I saw a "phantom vehicle" on Big Tujunga Canyon Road (Angeles Crest National Forest) in Sunland, California. It was late evening around 10:00 pm. My friend (who lives there) and I stopped by his home so he could pick up some of his belongings. We parked my Jeep in a small space on the side of the two lane highway while I waited alone in the car for him to return. I was waiting for maybe 20 minutes. I was sitting facing oncoming cars as they were coming down and out of the forest. There were not many cars passing by at this time. Directly, and not very far, in front of me was a sharp bend in the road which went around the mountain side. I, of course, could clearly see any car's headlights as they came driving around and down the road. I could also see cars approaching from behind me, and their headlights, as they were going up and into the canyon. This highway is extremely narrow with sharp curves, without any street lamps of any kind, and so, pitch-black dark at night, with next to no visibility... It is a notorious highway for being treacherous for careless drivers even during daylight hours. No one can possibly drive without headlights. Yet, to my utter astonishment, I began to barely see the shape of a car coming down the road, around the bend in front of me, without any headlights (or any lights of any kind at all)... My first thoughts were that this person must be desparate to try and get out of the canyon like this, maybe they had trouble with their car's lights but were still attemping to drive this impossible way, perhaps they were hunched over the dashboard or something. I couldn't believe it, and I watched it drive right by my car. When it passed by, directly parallel to the side of my car, I looked to see who was driving and I saw that no one was in the car! It was moving very slowly, and without any sounds of a motor or wheels, and like a silhouette, practically see-through. It looked like an old and greyish-colored 4-door sedan-type vehicle. I kept just staring at it in amazement and looked back to see if maybe it even had rear brake lights. No it did not either! Then it disappeared like all the other cars, into the darkness of the highway. My friend returned to me and the Jeep just a few minutes later, so I asked him if he had seen the car without any lights go by him as he walking back, since it seemed to be moving so slowly. He said that, no, he had not. So, I quickly told him what I had just seen and I told him I was going to drive as fast as I could to see if I could catch up to it. I spun the car around and raced down the road, which had no exits or turn-offs the rest of the way out of the canyon. I figured I had a pretty good chance, yet we never did see it anywhere, or any other car like it. After this happened, I never wanted to stay the night up in that forest again. I forgot about the whole thing until over a year later, when I asked another friend of mine if they had ever seen a ghost before, stating that I never had. Well! I just remembered the "ghost car" I had seen that night, and I began recounting my story to him.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, junemoonchild69, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

AubreyL (2 posts)
-1
6 years ago (2018-06-23)
Phantom vehicles are very rare. There are only about a handful, worldwide and in history, of recorded "ghost cars", not including ships, trains, etc. And neither are they "jinn"... They are imprints on the ether, particularly this story, where the vehicle has no direct contact with the viewer.
junemoonchild (2 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-03-04)
I apologize for having not taken enough time to edit my story here. I am not that great with writing at length in general, a much better speaker, and I wish I could submit this story again with paragraphs. Thank you for your honest comment Melda, no worries, you have now helped me for the next time I may be submitting a story such as this one 😊.
I believe this car was most likely in a fatal accident at this spot, and that this has made an imprint (yes, Amor, residuals!) on the ether, such that it probably passes by many times for others too, just as it did for me that night.
And to Dangslow, the sightings of phantom vehicles are an extremely rare thing, compared to trains, boats, etc. Also, the ones I found reported, usually involved contact with someone or their car, whereas the vehicle I saw was very passive, literally just floating nicely by me.
Thank you everyone for your comments!
Dangslow (4 stories) (24 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-02-26)
Ive also seen a phantom car. I was in california in the redwoods. The road was narrow and the guy was tailgating my motorhome. When I pulled over to let him pass, he was GONE. I even walked along the road to make sure he didn't wreck out. It was totally creepy!
Amor (5 stories) (64 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-02-26)
Hi L_Mak,

Isn't that the whole concept of phantom sightings? Something other-worldly. I talked to a former boss who spent his free time in his fishing yacht and he would frequently come across phantom ships that sail quietly in the Pacific Ocean, but are rather transparent. I wonder what they are. Residuals?

Thank you for your story, Junemoonchild! 💚
L_Mak (9 posts)
-3
6 years ago (2018-02-26)
Yes paragraphs please. And the phantom car is not phantom at all but the world of Djinn (good or bad) and live just like you & I. Except they can see us and we cannot see them (except for some rare circumstances). Please research into this.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-02-17)
junemoonchild - Very interesting experience. Many people have witnessed "ghost cars". Possibly this specific car, together with its occupant/occupants was involved in an accident on that dangerous stretch of road and some lives were lost.

I'm not trying to be over critical but next time perhaps you can use a few paragraphs for easier reading?

Regards, Melda

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: