You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Ghost Or Anxiety?

Real Ghost Stories

Ghost Or Anxiety?

 

I have experience many ghostly encounters, some not so great and others that weren't so bad. One that sticks out to me this day that now makes me question if it was even paranormal or just an anxiety attack. This particular experience happened when I was around 6 but didn't last too long.

We moved into a nice mobile home, my mom, her boyfriend and my aunt. My grandma, other aunt and uncle lived down the road from us. My other aunt and I went to school together. I usually got up at 6:30 for school but I loved my sleep so I sleep all the time I could, which is why I noticed something was off when I would wake up around 5 in the morning randomly throughout the week. I would wake up with with my covers off me and sometimes with a feeling that someone was sitting on the bed next to me. I could feel the bed sunk in like someone was on the bed. There would be a cold spot, I was always too scared to look but one night I looked but saw nothing.

Each day was different, but it didn't get better. I would wake up with someone whispering to me but to see no one around. I went back to sleep. The next day I told my aunt about what I've been experiencing, she told me it might just be dreams. My family believe in ghost and demons very much from their experiences. So I thought she knows what she's talking about.

I just shrugged it off thinking it was a dream until on school days it would keep me up. I stayed awake and end up getting up due to me having to get ready for school. I was scared and mad at the same time, I didn't get to sleep much but I knew what ever kept me awake was real. I frequently got sick and had to stay home quite a bit from school.

I was on Christmas break and my grandma stayed the night. I remember she told me the next day that I scared her last night. I told her I had no idea what she was talking about. A few years later it got brought up, she said she was watching tv and saw something in the corner of her eye and turned her head at it. It was me crouched down, my arms crossed on the arm of the couch next to her, my head rested on my arms while I stared at her smiling. She said she asked me what am I doing out of bed and in response I just giggled. The tv suddenly got louder and she grabbed the remote to turn it down so no one would wake up. She looked back at me but I was gone. She went to my room and saw me asleep in my bed.

I have no history of sleep walking or anything of the sort. The scary early mornings continued and got worse to the point where I would go to my mom's room to sleep. Sometimes it helped but other times I would stay up staring at the her bedroom door, hearing someone walk to it.

On a weekend at 5 in the morning I woke up from whispering around me (female and male) I saw no one but continued to hear them. I stared at a blanket that hung over my window and looked over the Japanese writing that was printed all over it. My head began to hurt, the blanket seemed to keep going close then back away from me and I notice everything was and it wouldn't stop. I suddenly heard a female whispered my name right in my ear. I jumped out of bed hearing whispering all around me continuously. I tried going to my aunt but her door was locked, I headed towards my moms room and felt dizzy and saw shadows all around me. At this time the sun was out a little but enough for me too see my whole living room. I covered my ears and squeezed my eyes shut, kneeling down crying.

I was so scared and didn't know what to do. I yelled in a teary way 'PLEASE STOP'. Right after I opened my eyes and it all suddenly stopped. My mom heard me and called out to me. I stood up and stayed there for a bit, crying.

I didn't tell my mom much, I don't know why. I maybe thought she wouldn't believe me or I was just so relieved it stopped. I stayed in her bed while she slept for the few hours of the early morning. I looked at the door, it was opened, I saw a white sort of figure. I didn't feel scared and I stared at it and it disappeared in front of me.

Nothing more happened in the remainder of years we lived there. I would at times hear the floor creak and doors close. My other family members experienced the creaks and doors with me. But nothing more.

I'm still wondering to this day what exactly happened, what does it mean? And I wouldn't think it would just suddenly stop.

My grandma would cleanse the house to make things better.

Was it just an anxiety attack? I have been diagnosed with Anxiety for 8 years and had many anxiety attack's but none like this one, no voices no shadows no waking up at certain time. I just don't know what it was.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, MiDL00, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-03-05)
I think CuriousDee may be onto something. Could be that the interaction of anxiety conditions and the paranormal is a rather vicious feedback loop - could be that the same genetic vulnerability towards anxiety conditions may also increase sensitivity to the paranormal to a certain degree. So spending one's childhood in a situation where there is a lot of activity could activate the condition and the energy that the anxiety attack produces may then feed the paranormal activity and the loop just continues. That would explain perhaps why they stopped when you asked them to - if they had come to depend on your anxiety, in that one action you stood up for yourself and maybe fractured the loop shaking their confidence.

Either way, it's an interesting consideration and I don't feel like what you experienced growing up was purely do to anxiety. I am glad you are taking the time to work on you - its good thing ❤
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-03-04)
MiDL00: I believe your experiences. I think it was common in the past to tell children "It was just a dream" or "It's probably your eyes playing tricks on you". I also had some scary experiences as a child and remember my parents saying these things or playfully blaming it on our resident spirit George (what my mother nicknamed him). I was lucky that my parents acknowledged that our house was active though.

My opinion of anxiety (in some forms) is that the person may be more sensitive to energies. You may be picking up on emotions and/or nearby energies that cause or influence the anxiety. This can come from the living or spirit. I'm sorry you're still suffering from anxiety. I did too as a child and through my 20's. The anxiety actually got better as I opened up to the possibilities of being susceptible to energy AND going to see a therapist. There is always help and hope.

Thank you for sharing ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: