You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Sounds When I'm Alone

Real Ghost Stories

Sounds When I'm Alone

 

This is the first time I've written anything on this sight. I'm 21 years old, female, and I live in London, UK.

This happened to me a few months ago (can't remember exactly when) but I honestly have no explanation for it.

Our house is rather small, one bathroom and two bedrooms as well as a living room and kitchen. I live with my mum, my sister and my niece. We have lived here almost 4 years and nothing happened up until a few months ago.

My bedroom still has the original floorboards as I haven't got around to decorating it fully yet and our bathroom is directly beneath my room. Our light switch is on a string and when someone pulls it, I can hear it under my floor VERY clearly. Because our house is small, I can hear everything someone is doing in any of the rooms. Anyway, here's what happened;

My mum, my sister and my niece had gone out shopping so I was home alone. I think it was the evening and the daylight had started to fade. I was in my room watching TV and everything downstairs was off like the lights, television and stuff. All of a sudden, I heard the bathroom door open downstairs and the light switch being used (as I said I can hear it clearly because it's under my floorboards) so, thinking they had come back back from shopping, I turned my TV off and went downstairs to see them but as I got to the bottom of the stairs, the bathroom door was closed and the light was off and no one was home. I was still on my own. I have no explanation for it, I heard it so clearly. I even went downstairs thinking they were back and they weren't. I shiat myself and went straight out of my house and sat out there until they came back. I know it's not the scariest story but it scared me because of the fact I absolutely heard someone go into the bathroom and turn the light on.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, NewbyKin, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

catleyablu (17 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-03-09)
Perhaps the entity needed to take a bathroom break before moving on? This is pretty creepy though, kudos for being brave enough to investigate! Has anything else happened since then?
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-03-09)
Pull string switches have a very distinctive sound. I have them in my bathroom too. It is unlikely someone 4 years accustomed to that sound would mistake it for much of anything else - I certainly wouldn't. Only non-paranormal possibility I can think of is that the switch hadn't been firmly tugged the last time. Our fixtures are fairly old and if the string/chain isn't tugged quite hard enough, it manages to balance itself in a position that's half on or half off. The smallest thing can then cause the chain to pop back in one direction or the other making it seem as though the light has just switched itself on or off.

Or it could have been a ghostie. Given that you haven't had any activity in that home up until now, it could have simply been a pass-through.
Anno_Domini (3 stories) (167 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-03-08)
Hi NewbyKin, it's hard to day what that sound was. But houses are more complex than many of us think... You've got lots of piping, wiring, boards, walls, etc to think about, and lots of pests make themselves at home in the spaces in walls / ceilings. In all likelyhood, thre are many explanations for the switch sound you heard, just off the top of my head an insect crawling into any switch housing would short it and get it fried, the sound would be similar to a switch being turned on. 😁
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-03-08)
Have you had anything else happen? If you're sure it wasn't an actual person, it could be paranormal. It's hard to say if this is the only strange thing that's happened. It does sound creepy though!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: