You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: My Dog Saw Something I Didn't

Real Ghost Stories

My Dog Saw Something I Didn't

 

I have submitted here before some short stories about some of the smaller things that would happen in my childhood home. But until this point I could, at times, convince myself it was just my imagination or there was some reasonable explanation behind all the little things I noticed. However after this event, it was a lot harder to ignore these strange occurrences.

I was about 15 and I had been home alone for a week. My parents were away and all my older siblings had moved out. I would usually have a bit of hard time being alone because something was bound to freak me out. But it was the last day and I just got off the phone to my parents. They were on their way home, about 2 hours away. It was a sunny afternoon and I was in the backyard with my dog. I was in a good mood and I was happy nothing weird had happened while I was alone. I guess someone knew this and wasn't having any of it, because what happened next gave me serious chills down my spine and I didn't enter my house until my parents came home a whole 2 hours later.

I was under the veranda talking to my dog. He was a big brown dog. Half German Shepard, half Australian blue cattle. He was facing me and playing with a toy, shaking it around. Behind my dog, about 4 meters, was the window to the dinning room. My house was a 3 story, split level home, and the dinning room was in the middle. So the window was above us. As I was talking to him, I heard a noise. Something like a screech. It did sound just like one of the dinning room chairs moving across the tiled floor. But the sound was small and brief and I chose to ignore it.

So I looked back down to my dog. He had his head turned all the way around and was looking up at the dinning room window, ears up and alert. I thought. "Oh he heard something too?"

He then moved in a way I have never seen any dog move before nor do I want to again, because I think from this experience if your dog moves like that it is sensing something else. I was very close to my dog; he was practically my little brother. I had never seen him behave like this before.

He then moved his head around in such a strangely, slow manner it gave me the creeps. He dropped his toy and then looked at me, right in the eyes. A good solid, unblinking stare, like he was trying to say something. He then walked over to under the dinning room window, and began to growl. He was on full alert. Ears up, body tensed, eyes targeted at the window. His growl was low and deep. I don't think he knew what he was growling at but whatever it was he did not like it.

After a moment I just thought, 'this can't be happening.' So I desperately tried to pretend everything was normal. I called my dog back to me in an overly cheerful way, patting my knees, telling him to come to me. He then turned his head, in that weird, creepy slow way. The way he moved was so scary to me. He then just looked at me, right in the eyes again. I was chilled to the bone and all my hairs stood up. I then took a step back and slowly sat down on the chair behind me. He then turned back and started growling again.

He let out a few low barks but mostly just growls. If you have ever seen a dog hunting something or a sheep dog heard cattle you would know what kind of focus my dog had. Hid entire body was like a statue. Nothing would distract him.

As I said before, my parents were 2 hours away and I did not go back inside until they came home. For those 2 hours I sat on that chair watching my dog. He eventually sat and then after an hour or so, laid down under the dinning room window. But the whole time, his ears were up and alert and his eyes were always on a target. I didn't hear any more noises and I couldn't see in the window because there was a curtain.

Eventually when my parents came home and my mum found me in in the backyard, I decided it was safe to go inside and went to check the dinning room. My dog and I had this tradition that he would always say goodbye to me at the back door. (He wasn't aloud inside) He would come and get a kiss and a, 'I love you' every time. But this time I went to the door and turned to look at him. He was still lying down under the window. But he was looking at me and then back to the window and back at me, crying a little as if to tell me, 'I really want to do our thing, but I can't right now." I understood. Blew him a kiss and went inside. I checked the dinning room. All looked normal. I then looked out the window to my dog. He had now left his post. So I guess he was on guard until he knew I was safe.

Other hauntings by Lydia_Deetz

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Lydia_Deetz, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

MrsRamsay (guest)
+1
4 years ago (2020-04-18)
Hi Lydia,
I'm a little late to this story but wanted to tell you I think it's one of the best I've read yet. I'm so glad you picked up on what was happening that day and your description of how your dog communicated with you -- serious as can be in the midst of play -- was truly compelling.

I have two husky/border collie mixes (very un-alike, not from same litters, but rescues). One is very "talkative" in a husky way, but looks more like a traditional black and white border collie. The other is smaller, buff and white with one blue eye, and has amazing herding instincts but doesn't verbalize like her sister. They are the smartest dogs I've ever had out of six others. I also live in a suburban Atlanta neighborhood which is where many soldiers bivuaqued (camped) during the month leading up to the Battles of Kennesaw Mountain and Atlanta. The small farmhouse adjacent to my subdivision was used as a military hospital by General Sherman during the Civil War, and we have some small lakes and a creek so I'm certain there were plenty of soldiers out of the 140, 000 here in 1864 who were hanging around my area, perhaps even sick and dying at the time as happened so much in the day. Anyway, I've never had this happen ANY TIME in my life or at my other homes with any dog, but these guys OFTEN will NOT go outside, even when they need to. I've watched the verbal one, Lucy, race out to do her business, only to get halfway out on the patio and do a lightening fast U-turn back in, all the way to under my bed at the other side of the house. When I KNOW she needed to go! During the day, it's usually fine. Our yard, by the way, is about 3/4 of an acre and we have an awesome patio and hot tub/pool and it's landscaped with a path and there's a trampoline among the trees at the back of the lot. In other words, we're not talking wilderness here. It's fenced in, and while we DO have wildlife (bunnies usually, chipmunks, squirrels and the occasional possum or hawk) my dogs are never afraid of that. One more thing. When we built our pool, we had lots of trouble with things like broken water lines (8 times) and even had the heating element on the brand new unit catch fire one rainy morning when it wasn't even turned on! (I know because I was home, and I looked outside in the rain and saw the flames shooting up!). The heater and pump unit are only about 15-20 yards from my window behind a fence, and I just happened to look out to see it. The guy who replaced it later said he'd NEVER seen one of these units catch on fire, even when it was turned on! Anyway, thank you for your story. BTW, I'm an older mom also and your comments about your parents are really interesting to me. I often am wary about my "last child" and want to make sure I still have plenty of energy for her in coming years! Thanks again for the story, be well!
Jubeele (26 stories) (892 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-04-02)
Hi Lydia_Deetz, I never discount the reactions of our furkids. Their senses are far sharper than ours, and they know better what poses an actual threat and what can be safely ignored.

You've described this so clearly that when I read this, I found myself feeling anxious for you too. You've got a beautiful, brave furry protector. I wouldn't have dared to go inside either unless he gave the "all-clear".

Take care and looking forward to hearing more from you. 😊
Dangslow (4 stories) (24 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-03-30)
What an interesting story!
Your dog had your back though. Sometimes I think dogs are better people than most people...
Lydia_Deetz (6 stories) (15 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-03-25)
Hi AnnielLouise

I can't say I felt evil but I guess you could say I felt bad. I remember a cold chill going down my spine and looking at my arm, because all my hairs were standing on end and I had major goose bumps. This is the only time I remember getting goose bumps besides from just being cold from the weather. I just froze. I very slowly sat down in the chair behind me and sat there watching my dog in mostly silence. There was a big sliding glass door and window in front of me. The blinds inside were closed so I couldn't see in but I felt un easy, thinking something might move the blind from the other side. Usually I get the courage to investigate but the way my dog was and chills I had. I just didn't dare move. I'd say after an hour or so I didn't feel it so strongly but as my dog was still on guard and my parents were almost home I was too chicken to go inside.
AnnieLouise (1 stories) (7 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-03-24)
Whatever it was sounded like it was trying to grab your attention, maybe get you to go into the dining room. I'm glad you didn't! Your dog probably kept safe. Did you feel evil at any point, even for a brief second? Did it feel like somebody hated you? That might of meant something, especially as to why your dog acted so strange.

❤ Annie
LuciaJacinta (8 stories) (291 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-03-23)
My heart is still pounding. All of your stories are scary but this one was intense.

Interesting theory About noise level too. We also have a big family and yeah, I thought before that maybe they don't notice things because they are so busy coming and going and making a ruckus.
BeautInside (3 stories) (326 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-03-21)
Hi Lydia_Deetz,

That might be it, or perhaps you are more sensitive than your family members...
I am looking forward to read more from you! 😉

God bless. ❤
Lydia_Deetz (6 stories) (15 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-03-20)
Hi, CuriousDee and BeautInside

I did tell my parents but they just shrug off that kind of thing. Pretty much all of my family shrug my experiences off as just my imagination. I am the youngest, and there are big age gaps and I think they will forever see me as the baby and they just don't take much what I say seriously. Some of my siblings are very sceptical and non believers so wouldn't believe it to be anything or the whole paranormal topic freaks them out and they don't like talking about it at all. As far as I am aware no one else has had any experiences but here is my theory as to why I am the only one who notices these things. I come from a big family and for a long time the house was usually full of people, very loud, always people coming and going. But then they all got older and moved out or were overseas traveling for 12 months, so a lot of time I was the only one left at home. I have probably spent more time home alone and alone with just my parents then anyone else. Also being the quiet much younger child I am naturally very observant. I grew up just watching my family do things, and have conversation I was too young to take par of, and was happy to sit and listen. So I think if something was to be off I would be the first to notice. My parents are older, have bad hearing and are naturally loud, with the way they talk to just the way my mum moves around the house. And as I said they're just the type to go, "that was weird. Hmm. " then just forget about it. But I've never told them all my experiences in their house and I recently had another thing happen in my own home, which I will post about. So I think I should start the conversation and see what happens.

HOLY COW. Just as I am writing this I rememberd a story my mum and eldest sister told about something that happened when I was baby. Its really hard for them to talk about because it scares them so much. And its creepy because it sounds like my other sister was,?possessed? I'm going to write about that now and send it in.
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-03-20)
I agree, animals seem to be more sensitive to energy and anything 'abnormal'. I've had dogs in the past (and one now) that always reacted to something unseen. It sounds like you have an excellent guard dog.

Did you tell your parents about this? Have there been any other incidents since? Hopefully it's been quiet. Thanks for sharing!
BeautInside (3 stories) (326 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-03-20)
Hi Lydia_Deetz,

I'm not the most experient indidual to weigh in on your experience, but it is strange to say the least...
As far as I know, animals are more sensitive than most humans. So staying so vigilante with some sort of agressive attitude towards a place means there's was something off, and he felt it.
Do you usually experience strange phenomena at your home? And did any of your parents and/or siblings experience anything strange too?
I'd appreciate your input.

God bless. ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: