You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Antique Store Basement

Real Ghost Stories

The Antique Store Basement

 

I know that it is difficult to believe a ghost story that you haven't experienced yourself but I can only relate my experience to the best of my abilities; it was so intense that I feel compelled to share it.

I have in the past had some experiences with the paranormal but never one quite as scary as my experience in the antique store basement located in small northern Illinois town. It was a nice summer day and I was looking at the antiques with my mom in a store that I later found was once a hardware store. We both went down the stairs to the basement. As I was walking I felt extremely dizzy and could not avoid the strange idea of my head smashing into the pavement I was walking on. We were making our way to the back of the basement and my eyes were drawn to the corners of the ceiling, as if I was watching something move back and forth between them. I had another odd thought of a tiger pacing back and forth, its shoulder blades moving swiftly above its stooped head. I was ignoring these thoughts as we got to the end of the room. I suddenly heard a man's deep voice slowly work up to a savage scream, "Get out, get OUT, GET OUT!, GET OUUUUUT!, GET OOOUUUUUUT!" It sounded like a man going insane with anger and grief. It was a voice that is best described as tormented.

The hairs stood up on the back of my neck and chills ran up and down my back. I noticed then that there was NO ONE but us in the basement and turned to my mom to quietly suggest that we leave. Before I heard a response I turned to see my mother literally running away through the basement and up the stairs! I could not stop myself from yelling, "Wait for me! Don't leave me alone! Wait! Wait!".

Needless to say we walked straight out of the store and started a long and silent trip home. Weirdly enough we didn't talk about why we ran away like lunatics and the moment was nearly forgotten. Until two weeks later when I finally had to bring it up to her. Neither of us are very comfortable with it but my late grandmother, mother, and myself seem to have somewhat psychic abilities. As I said earlier, I have experienced a few things before with and without my mother so it was odd for me to not bring it up earlier. Without telling her any details I asked her if she happened to hear anybody yelling that day. She stopped what she was doing and answered yes. I asked her to repeat what she heard and it was exactly what I had heard that day! Even the crazed tone and rising anger with each "get out" was precisely as I had heard it!

She still refuses to say any more about that day and I'm left to wonder alone what I had experienced and why. I was so curious that I tried to look up the history of the town, which was very sparse. I did find that a man named George had shot himself in the head around the time that the store was in use but I couldn't confirm anything for sure. I continue to have paranormal experiences but nothing comes close to the surprise and terror I had experienced that day.

The email address that was submitted with this story was invalid and we could not reach the author. If you are the author, please write us back so we can correct this information.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Hutch, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-25)
Interesting post Hutch. If you don't mind me asking, what town was this in?

Cheers!
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-22)
Hi Hutch. It would seem not uncommon to have some kind of paranormal activity in an antique store. Expecially with certain kinds of antigues. People seem to attach theirselves to objects that they loved so dearly in life and do not want to let go in the after life. What compelled you to go down into the basement anyway? Better quality antiques? I wonder, I'm sure as well as you and your Mother, what the hell was so evil down there! It doesn't sound like it had anything to do with any of the antiques. It sounds like something attached to the building or the property. VERY SCARY! Thanks for sharing your experience. ~Shelby ❤
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-20)
Hi Hutch. The fact that you have done some investigating gives some credibility to your story. Maybe the dizziness and worries of smashing your head were a sort of psychic impression having to do with George, when he shot himself in the head. The part of the story that doesn't sit quite right with me is this- If your Mom is no stranger to this type of experience, then I wonder why she's so unwilling to discuss it with you. I would think you would be one of the few people she would feel comfortable talking to about it. I realize your Mom's reaction is secondary to your personal experience and story, but a few more details about her reactions, what she has said about the events since, or even why she refuses to talk about it would help.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-20)
Hello Hutch. Interesting story, if not for your Mother experiencing the same thing at the same time, I would write it off as "nerves" or imagination. It is hard to say what is real when you experience it with the "third eye". It was your experience and only you can say if it was real. God Bless

FRAWIN ❤
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-20)
Hi Hutch. Do you know your e-mail is incorrect? If you can, could you please amend that?
This story drew me as the name of one of the characters is a family name. I wonder about the corners of the ceiling that seemed to grab your attention, and the tiger really seems out of place doesn't it? I would also be very curious as to the history as the three thing you experienced do not really seem to go together. Very interesting.
Thank you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: