You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: An Odd Happening In Florence, Italy

Real Ghost Stories

An Odd Happening In Florence, Italy

 

In 2005 my oldest daughter was living in Florence while attending college at Kent State. She was there doing arts and fashion classes and lived there for about 6 months. My wife and I and my youngest daughter traveled to Florence to spend a couple of weeks with her and see the sights. It is quite possibly the most beautiful city I've ever encountered.

One morning the four of us were walking to pick up tickets for the Uffizi Gallery. At some point the sidewalk narrowed to the point we could only walk in single file. I was the last in line. All of a sudden the first person in line stopped, turned and looked backwards and then the three of us behind in succession did the same. Something had run between our legs; something invisible. It was the oddest thing - it didn't feel like wind, it felt like it had substance; I could feel it brush my legs as it ran through. It wasn't at all frightening to any of us but very strange. Being an engineer but not necessarily a skeptic, I began to search my mind for some sort of explanation. I looked to see if there was a sewer grate, or manhole or anything near. There wasn't. We discussed it at to this day we all remember how unexplainably weird it was, like an invisible dog or something. I still think about it. Perhaps it was some sort of magnetic field caused somehow by underground electric cables. I don't know.

I've wanted to post this for some years now and I'm finally getting around to it. Perhaps someone else has experienced the same phenomenon. I do know that Florence is reputably haunted by all manner of spirits and that it is an ancient city, possibly built on Etruscan ruins. Perhaps all the ancient stone and history still harbors some kind of energy from the past; shades and movements that occasionally under the right circumstances reveal themselves to us.

Thanks so much for your time.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Italy

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Ricko, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-08-29)
Awake1111,

I respect your beliefs regarding extraterrestrials, but this forum may not be the 'right fit' for discussing this topic. YGS is primarily used for discussing spirits, ghosts and associated energy. Please take no offense, it's meant as a suggestion or for informational purposes.

I wish you all the best.
Dee

Mods: I know my comment is off topic, but thought it might be helpful. Please pardon my disruption. Carry on... 😜
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-08-29)
Given the OP's narrative, the group was walking in a straight line due to their shared reality of navigating down narrow medieval traces. Any shared consciousness was simply that of common sense to avoid running into walls.

This comment from Awake1111 is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

Socracy5 (3 stories) (64 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-06-24)
Hi Riko,

I see, that little creature must've been frightened of the mob else it could be possible that it's just making it's way through the queue.

Cats and dogs are such adorable creatures, they provide a sense of liveliness and belongingness to the atmosphere. They have the capability to cheer people in such an enthusiastic manner. Perhaps that poor fellow is attached to this world for certain reason, maybe cause of its master.

Still it's not confirmative that it could be a dog, there are possible explanations for everything but I would prefer this one. Hope you've enjoyed your tour, keep posting on.

Regards
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-06-22)
Hi Ricko, I'm going with ghost dog or cat with this too. Perhaps a ghost animal feared being boxed in or trampled by approaching pedestrians on the narrowing path.

Cool experience. Thanks for sharing. 😊
RSAChick (115 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-06-21)
Could electric cables cause such a phenomena? I cannot find an example of this happening before, but I may be wrong... Cancer and other ilnesses, perhaps, after long exposure, but nothing like this.

Interesting, unexplained and really sounds like the spirit of a doggy running past your group! 🐕

Hope you have more stories to share with us.
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-06-21)
Ricko,

Your account is fascinating! Especially because it was experienced by a group of people. Besides the four members of your family, were there any other's that experienced it? I wasn't sure if there were other people in the line. If so, did they experience it too?

I'm wouldn't be surprised that a city that rich with history would have its fair share of 'strange' incidents. I was thinking a dog, cat, small animal, etc. Or perhaps an energy surge.

Thanks for sharing a great account.

Dee
Jubeele (26 stories) (892 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-06-20)
We loved Tuscany. We enjoyed a number of glorious days in Florence when we were there in 2014. When I half-close my eyes, I could imagine being in 15th century, when the Medici held power. I went to the markets in the town square near the railway station every day. But on the last day, I felt strangely ill at ease. The stallholders knew me by then; I had greeted them in my few phrases of Italian and bought stuff from many of them. Yet it seemed suddenly darker in the square at midday. I felt the crowds had turned hostile and were pushing me around. The air had thickened around me; it became harder and harder just to continue walking.

I squared my shoulders and imagined a thick protective layer all around me, and stubbornly charged my way through the markets. Everyone suddenly made way for me. The weird feeling was over as quickly as it came. I got out of there.

I've seen many Florentines walk their dogs along the cobble-stone streets every day. Perhaps you and your family encountered the residual echo of a little four-legged entity retracing its steps through the city. I could also have sensed some magnetic resonance that had made me uncomfortable that day. Florence is certainly a hauntingly beautiful city.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. 😊
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-06-20)
Hi Ricko - Really enjoyed reading of your strange encounter with an invisible presence. I think you might be on to something when you suggested a magnetic field of some sort might have been what you felt. I imagine there could be places where multiple underground electrical cables cross that could be detected by a person in the startling way you described. That said, I see no reason your group didn't feel a magnetic field generated by the spirit of a little ghost dog trotting between all your legs.

There are many reports of ghosts being physically sensed while they are simultaneously being seen so feeling one without seeing it seems very plausible. In psychical research literature there are endless reports of people sensing but not seeing spirits. I can see why this event has stuck with you, it is a puzzling one. Thanks for sharing your unusual experience and welcome to YGS.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: