You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: An Unexplained Incident

Real Ghost Stories

An Unexplained Incident

 

I am from India. I live in Rewa which is in the state of Madhya Pradesh. The experience which I am sharing is not a very scary one but is definitely very strange. I am still not able to explain the reasons behind my experience. Any explanation would be welcome.

As my city is not a big one so after graduation I went to Allahabad (Uttar Pradesh) to prepare for civil service examination. I used to live next to Azad Park. Anyone from Allahabad must be familiar with the place as it is a popular hangout spot for people. It is a large park enclosed by a boundary wall from all sides. Along the aforementioned boundary, there are street light poles. My experience is concerned with one such Street light. It may sound funny to you but it is what it is. It was during the month of December and whole North India was in grips of severe cold weather. From the window of my room I could see the park and it was a pass time for me to watch the morning joggers and other people coming and going. My coaching institute was in civil lines area and I used to walk to and fro from my coaching. My classes usually ended around 8 pm in the evening and this being December, weather was normally foggy. I used to take a shortcut through the park to reach my room. It took almost 20-30 minutes for me to reach my room.

One day due to some reason or other, my class got delayed by about half an hour and by the time I reached the park, very few people were there. It was a cold, foggy night and I was walking along the boundary wall of the park when suddenly I realised something. The last Street light that I passed, flickered and turned off. Now I know this is not very creepy but all other lights were still on and what was more disconcerting was that as soon as I walked some distance away from it, it turned on again. Huh! Strange! I thought, but brushed it off as just a coincidence and walked away.

I forgot about the incident next day and was returning home from coaching when I passed under that same street light and it started flickering again! I stopped dead in my tracks and slowly traced my steps back, away from the light. Almost immediately, it stopped flickering and was back to normal. Happening once, I could have said that it was a coincidence but two times in a row. No way! Now I was feeling a bit nervous. Not scared but nervous. I hurriedly walked to my room and thought about what to do next.

Next day I went to my coaching and told my story to a friend. He was incredulous and wanted to see for himself. I told him to come along with me and we went together. When I crossed the street light, it immediately switched off. Then I told my friend to pass under the light but nothing happened. I repeated this for at least 10 times and each time the light would turn off. Now, my friend was also confused but said there must be some kind of wiring fault in the light. I also thought that although all this was very strange, it was harmless. I brushed it off and continued to walk from the same path.

In fact it now seemed funny to me and I took my other friends to show them "my special trick".it was very funny to see their shocked expressions once they realised that I could switch on and off the street light just by walking below it! But in spite of all this, I used to feel a cold sensation while passing alone under the light. This went on for almost 2 months and by now it was a routine experience for me. But all this changed when I was going to Jabalpur (a city in Madhya pradesh, India).

My train was at 11:30 in night and I hired a cycle rickshaw for going to station. As rickshaw would pass along the street light, I thought why not have some fun. I told the rickshaw puller, "bhaiya dekhna abhi jab rickshaw is light ke neeche se niklega ye bujh jayegi" meaning brother, this light will turn off when rickshaw will pass under it. He laughed and said let's see. And true to my word, the light turned off as soon as I passed under it and then immediately turned on when rickshaw was some distance away. I laughed and said,"see what I told you ".

But instead of laughing or being shocked, the rickshaw puller looked scared. He asked me what was going on. I told him my story and said it was happening since past two months. He looked at me gravely and said "I think you are in danger ". I scoffed at him and said why are you saying that. He told me that there could be a spirit on the tree behind the street light and it was somehow attached to me. That was the reason for all this.

I was a bit scared but as I was being late for my train, I told him to drop me at station quickly. I went to Jabalpur and next day came back. My train arrived at Allahabad at 3 in the morning and being this late no rickshaw was ready to go to my area. So I decided to walk and after about 30 minutes was near my home. But as soon as I passed under that street light, I suddenly felt like there was an immense weight on my shoulders. I was unable to move and breathe properly and a feeling of bleakness and depression came over me. I was so overwhelmed by this that I just sat there on the road and started weeping. It was an eerie feeling. Me sitting and weeping there in the middle of the road at such an ungodly hour. I felt like all happiness is gone from my life and there is nothing left for me.

I don't know how much time passed but suddenly I was shaken awake from my reverie by a man. He was a morning jogger and had seen me sitting there, weeping. I hurriedly ran away from there and went to my room and slept for 10 hours straight.

After this incident I was very scared and went back to my village where my parents held a pooja (ritual worship) and tied some sacred taaveez around my neck. After this incident when I went back to Allahabad, I changed my room and after 3 months I left the city. But until this day, I feel goosebumps on my skin when I think about that Street light.

Please tell me your thoughts and any explanation would be welcome. Sorry for my weak English and length of story.

Other hauntings by Malparvaasi12

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Malparvaasi12, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Gayatrishiva (3 stories) (121 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-06-08)
hi,
I have this I believe is due to kinetic energy. Sometimes when I am sitting on some surfaced like plastic chair and some car fabric... If I touch someone or they touch me or if I give or take coins and metal stuffs a kind of electric shock I and the other person gets lol... Sometimes while opening the car by mistake if the finger touched the metal I will experience a small shock... Like a spark... Even my dog got scared once I was sitting on a plasyic chair and it came near me touched its nose on my toes but we both got an electric shock and my dog was looking ay me weird lol
Cups (7 stories) (159 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-08-06)
Oh my gosh! Malparvaasi, I just happened upon this story randomly, and the timing could not be more perfect. I recently submitted a story here with similar experiences... Elrond, thank you for defining SLIder. I have done a bit of searching, but I haven't come up with anything that looks legit. Maybe I'm searching the wrong keywords. 😐 I have a couple more instances that happened over this past weekend to add once it's published... Speakers & receivers malfunctioning, and more lights going out. I too have a lot of "nervous energy", though I'm an anxious person in general - I've often wondered if that has something to do with the electrical thing?
Malparvaasi12 (2 stories) (12 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-07-04)
LuciaJacinta
Im a pretty easy going and laid back guy... But I do have a lot of nervous energy, can't sit still for long...
LuciaJacinta (8 stories) (291 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-07-04)
I skipped over this story initially but after reading it I find this very strange. Thank you to the comments about SLIders. I had no idea.

When I was in high school I dated a very intense young man who had Manic Depression. He was also an extremely engaging personality where people just gravitate towards him.

Some people have more intense personality than others. The same thing with street lights used to happen when I was with him. It continued to happen to me for awhile after we broke up. Every now and then it happens again but not routinely. These days I'm more inclined to think it's a faulty timer or broken bulb. But every now and then I think, well that's weird! Then I think back to this person I used to know who it happened to every time.

So my question is do you have an intense personality? Would people consider you more vivacious, energetic or engaging than the typical person? I'm just wondering if there is a connection.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
6 years ago (2018-07-04)
There's actually a name for it, CuriousDee! Google "SLIders", or "electric people." Pretty interesting stuff. 😉
Malparvaasi12 (2 stories) (12 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-07-03)
[at] curiousDee
Hey thanks for your comment... It hasn't happened with me since that incident but you are right. Maybe it's just the way I am. 😊
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-07-03)
Hi there Malparvaasi,

Interesting account and no worries, your English is great. I have heard and read about street light interference phenomenon. I have an aunt that this happens to and I didn't believe it at first until seeing it with my own eyes many times. She also causes electrical equipment to 'act up' when she's around. Again, I was doubtful, but whenever we go to a cashier at the store or are around computers, etc there is some kind of electronic failure. I'm assuming it has to do with her energy. I haven't met anyone else (in person) that this happens to.

It makes outings with her interesting to say the least. 😊 You may be sensitive to the energy around you. It doesn't sound like a bad thing, it's just how you are.

Thanks for sharing 😊
Dee
Malparvaasi12 (2 stories) (12 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-07-03)
[at] sds
Thank you very much... I have also read about SLI online and it does seem a lot like my experience...
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-07-03)
Hello Malparvaasi12, thanks for sharing your experience. When I was reading, I was remembering the Street Light Interference phenomenon, which Elrond correctly highlighted in his comments.

I do feel what the rickshaw person told might have had its own effect on your subconscious mind and you might have felt the heaviness when you passed under the street light. I do fee that it might not have been connected to paranormal experience. I am happy that you are ok now.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Malparvaasi12 (2 stories) (12 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-07-02)
[at] shushant
Thank you for your comment bhai... Yes I also thought that maybe it was a nervous breakdown and it could have been. I don't really know. But it was scary experience for me. And I also have very fond memories of the park...
sushantkar (16 stories) (533 posts)
+4
6 years ago (2018-07-01)
Hello Raj, I lived in Varanasi and I had visited Allahabad several times and I am also very aware of the tarain of that locality as you could say It is my second home as most of my old relatives live there. Also as a kid I had very good memories of this park playing with my cousin sisters and brothers.
So when I read your interesting and exquisite experience while your stay at Allahabad and they way you buetifully narrated, it just refreshed my childhood memories.
Rex-T and Elrond had thrown nearest possibility that may cause lights to fliker and go on off but I think what you suffered while you return from Rewa to Allahabad could be refered to nervious breakdown.
I think somehow the statement of that rickshaw puller had inadvertently strucked your subconscious mind and you suffer that terrible emotional breakdown.
Although, I might me completely wrong. Please no offense ment.

Thanks for sharing such a unique experience.

Regards
Malparvaasi12 (2 stories) (12 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-06-29)
[at] Chiku
That's what I also don't understand man... What was so special about that night... May be it was the time or maybe something else... I don't know
Malparvaasi12 (2 stories) (12 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-06-29)
[at] Rex-T Thank you for your comment. I also thought that rickshaw puller new something and I tried to search for him again but haven't met with him since... Azad park or Alfred park is a very old park and I'm sure there is some kind of history attached to it...
Https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Park
No a taveez or tabij is a kind of amulet to ward off evil spirits
Thank you again...
Chiku (1 stories) (21 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-06-29)
You were enjoying your experiences with flickering lights which goes on and off for 2 months but I doesn't understand why you were attacked once it was notified that it might be or was a paranormal activity? 🤔
Elrond (3 stories) (38 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-06-29)
Hi Malparvaasi12,
This is a well-documented phenomenon called SLI for Street Light Interference phenomenon. You are what is known as a SLIder. Google it and you will find hundreds of cases of this mystery. You will also find attempts to explain it rationally, which may explain some or all cases. I personally doubt it is paranormal, but rather a normal, but poorly understood effect.
Rex-T (5 stories) (288 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-06-29)
Hi Malparvaasi12, this is one strange experience.

Initially, I jumped to the conclusion that the street light had a faulty underground connection causing the light to turn off when you walked on a particular spot in the road.

However, this assumes that the power line is underground (not overhead) and doesn't explain why you are the only one that can turn the street light on and off.

I have read accounts of people's bodies being electrically charged in such a way that they can drain power from electrical devices (like lights).

I wonder if the rickshaw puller knew more about this place than what he was telling you, particularly the spirit and the tree. Combining this with your ill health on your return does seem like some form of spiritual attack.

Investigating news paper accounts or even talking to the 'Locals' might confirm some kind of history attached to this spot. Otherwise I wonder if these events will continue to happen to other long term visitors.

The main thing is that you are now ok and (again I'm assuming) your parents helped in your recovery. One question on this subject - Is placing the sacred taaveez around your neck a form of healing?

Regards
Rex-T

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: