You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: An Old House and My Apartment Building

Real Ghost Stories

An Old House and My Apartment Building

 

I was in the Navy and living ashore at Norfolk, VA in the early '70s. It was an old two story house. The main floor had a kitchen, dining room and living room. The second floor had a master bedroom, that nearly half the size of the house, a smaller bedroom and a bath.

One day I was in the master bedroom folding laundry. People came and went all the time (had a couple of roommates and they had friends) so the doors were seldom (if ever) locked.

I heard the front door open and close and called out I was upstairs. I heard heavy, plodding footsteps on the stairs, pausing at the bend in the middle. It was as if whomever was really tired and it was all they could do to walk up the steps. From where I was standing I could see clearly down the hall to the top of the stairs. The footsteps continued to the top and down the hall towards me. No one was there. The steps were quite audible. At the treshold of the bedroom door they stopped.

I stood there shaking like a leaf then quickly exited the room. Some time later I returned home to find every light in the place on. A roommate was sitting in the living room, white as a sheet, holding a poker from the fire place, in front of him. I asked what was wrong. He said he was watching tv when the door to the outside (the former front door since the house at one time faced Chesapeake Bay but at sometime was moved across the street, and turned around, so our "front door" had been the back door at one time and our back door the front) began turning on its own. He asked who was there and no answer. Then the door started shaking as if someone were trying to enter but couldn't. He went to the door and called out again, no reply. He opened the door and no one was there. And, the screen door was closed and lashed, with no breaks in the screen for someone to reach in.

I told him of my experience earlier and he said he had heard footsteps as well when no one was home. He never told anyone believing they would think him crazy.

Eventually others reported hearing strange things as well. The old house is no longer there. It was on a spit of land which has since been "re-developed" with freeways, ramps, etc. -sigh-

My apartment building, in Huntington, WV, has several spirits. Residents in two apartments on the other end of the hall (I live in the back) have reported seeing an old woman, in a white blouse and long black dress enter their apartment, walk through and exit. At one time this building had a landlady from who owned the place from about 1911 to '51. This could be her keeping any eye on her property.Huntington, WV (I am the senior resident in the building -three story brick apartment, erected in 1906- having moved here in July, 1979, and people will ask "You've been here a long time, have you heard of this or that happening?")

One evening in the early '80s a neighbour and I were playing cards. No radio, tv, or such on. Suddenly we heard loud noises coming from his apartment, as if it were being ransacked. Scott went to check and nothing was out of place. I have also had the feeling someone would be watching me from that apartment when no one was living there. (My kitchen windows and that ones form a sort of L shape.) I named the spirit "Casper", after the cartoon character Casper, the friendly ghost since he means no harm, merely curious. And when I have feeling of being watched I always wave and greet him. :)

There is also a ghost in my apartment.

It was August 2nd. A hot, muggy night. The cat I had then was laying on the floor facing the closed bathroom door. This was before the Net so I was watching tv and Muffy was in my line of vision. Suddenly she roused herself, started a low growl, twitching her tail, looking at the closed door, then to me, back to the door. I told her there was nothing there. Like a scene from a cheap movie I went to the door, put my hand on the doorknob and said, "See, there's nothing in there" and opened the door. Suddenly a cold rush of air passed through me, at least 20 degrees cooler than a moment before. After that Muffy was calm again and went back to her dozing... For a couple of years on that date I could feel the presence. I haven't for the last few years.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from West Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting.

Seinfeldfan620 (3 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-01-25)
Very, very good story, Joe. I know it's been a very long time since you told this story, but I was not a member of this site at that time. However, thank you for sharing, and thank you for your service.
jjinca (7 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-30)
Hi, Joe. I love your stories, and hope that you post more. 😊

Best,

JJ in CA
FraulineLecker (1 stories) (20 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-03-24)
Hi! Joe

These are really good stories!
And scary... The first one would be more scary because its a whole house... More space for ghost

The second one having an old woman ghost is really freaky knowing that she roam around her property...

Anyways I hope you keep us posted
Take Care
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-01)
Hello Joe, was the house in the first part of this story transit housing by chance? I know when I was in the service most of the rooms that I stayed in (I say rooms, as some of them could hardly be considered an apartment) were what are now labeled as transit housing, due to that fact that us service people kept moving in and out. These stories are very intriguing and make me wonder who these entities are. Thank you.
PrincessKatie (7 stories) (420 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-09-29)
History of things that what you need to find out. I have had strange things happened in my house even in my boyfriends old house. I think most people houses are haunted I know when they are because I get this feeling. I have seen ghosts in my house and heard a little girl I have been through all sorts this year. 😊 Interesting story you have thanks for sharing it with us.
kevin (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-01-21)
i hear footsteps from my roof sometimes too but never give MUCH thought to it but it still freaks me out
Tabetha (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-01-02)
That is so freaky I wonder who used to live there and why they havent moved on with there live
keep us posted :)
pinkrazrlove13 (guest)
+1
17 years ago (2006-10-20)
awesome stories. i believe you should find out who used to live in your apartment before you, maybe its someone checking on their beloved home OR it could've also been the land lady checking on her properties. good luck!!
Ruby (guest)
+1
18 years ago (2006-09-12)
the stories that facinate me the most are the archaic ones, you seem to have kept your cool around these presences, unless i am mistaken.
did you ever find out what had been of your old house previously? and as for your apartment ghost, do you believe the appiration could have been the original land lady?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: