You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: The Woods

Real Ghost Stories

The Woods

 

This encounter isn't like the most recent one, actually it's not very recent either. Last February, my friend moved to Vermont. During the summer she invited me there and her mom suggested to go on a hike to Hamilton Falls. It was Rose (my friend), her mom, her mom's boyfriend, his next door neighbor, his son and me. Rose and I went ahead of the others. We got about a mile ahead of them when we started getting strange feeling like someone was following us. But it obviously wasn't the other people because they were too far behind us. We then heard branches snapping and footsteps close behind us and a little bit off the path. It also wasn't animals because it seemed that there weren't any around. As we continued walking we started getting REALLY odd feelings and we actually started talking to these unseen presences, if they actually were spirits that is. And mind you, we have NEVER taken drugs and we weren't drunk. We kept walking and the feelings got stronger until we had to take a rest on some rocks.

Eventually it got a tad bit better and we continued up the path until we came to a sign that marked to falls. We followed the steps until they came to an end and we didn't know which way to go after that so we went straight down. We came to a pool of water that obviously wasn't the waterfall. We heard Rose's mom's boyfriend calling and we raced back up the hill. He asked where we went and we told him that we couldn't find the rest of the path. He then showed us a very clearly marked path that we could've sworn wasn't there when we first started off.

We stayed at the falls for about half an hour and decided it was time to leave since it would be getting dark soon. Rose and I once again went ahead of the others and we started to get those odd feelings again. And to add to the creepyness, it was dusk. We were basically running back to the car. We slowed down a bit and Rose was getting really freaked. She said she felt like she wasn't really walking beside me but it seemed like there was a wall between us and she could only faintly hear me but it was muffled. Then I looked behind me to see two figures following us. I could tell one of them was Dave's (boyfriend) next door neighbor with his son of his shoulders... the other just looked like the silhouette of a human figure. I thought that it must have been Rose's mom or Dave but I didn't know why they would have left the other behind. Dave's neighbor caught up to us and I asked him where the other two were. He said that they stopped for a break. I looked back over my shoulder and realized that if they had stopped they wouldn't be able to catch up to us in about 5 minutes. The figure was still there, walking at the same rating as before.

Rose by then was seriously having a panic attack. But then, there was a loud snapping on the little piece of land, by the water. I looked up to see a rather large white dog running along the water. I told Rose and Dave's neighbor and they both saw it. It wasn't as big as a greyhound but almost. The thing is I could only hear it when it was about 7 feet away and see it when it was 5 feet away. Same with when it was behind us. Later, we were waiting by the fence to get into the hiking area for about 20 minutes for Rose's mom and Dave. We went back to the car and headed back. Rose asked her mom if she and Dave saw the dog but they both asked us what dog. It was too big to not see and a big white dog in the middle of the woods at 10p:00m is also pretty noticeable.

Other hauntings by BloodAngel

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting.

DeltaDiminishing (4 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-25)
In "traditional shamanism" spiritual aides make themselves known to us in animal forms during adventures in the wilderness
everlong (1 stories) (26 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-20)
I have read many many accounts of near death experiences and what you described about your grandmother sounds just like some of them. Many people who are close to death will have periods where they can see loved ones on the other side before they die. I have no doubt that she was seeing departed family members before she actually died.
Bloodless (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-10)
I believe that a paranormal experience is possible, but explainable events that occurred could have been emotionally amplified by the intense feelings of fear and stress.

I.e. Rose feeling as those there was a wall between you could easily be chocked up to water in her ears and, because of the uneasy feelings, the dog, and so on, could have shocked her into feeling the fact that she couldn't hear you properly feel more supernatural that it really was. But that's just a thought.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-20)
I am certain, just as with other areas, wooded areas can contain entities and energies. It is possible this is what you experienced. In wooded areas there may have been occurances that we may never know about, leaving behind the energy.

God Bless! ❤
BloodAngel (2 stories) (2 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-02-15)
no, not drunk, or hallucinating I think. I'm not sure if I'd be able to go back there again but it'd be awesome if I could, that is since I don't get freaked out by them anymore.
Janice (7 stories) (248 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-02-14)
Hey, I think that the place you went to was haunted, that is, if you weren't drunk or just hallucinating, but that's less likely. Someone died there and their spirit was left behind, or that's what everybody would say. Are you going there again? Do you think that you have the guts to go back? I think that I would love to go and investigate since I have a pasion for ghosts, I read about them and I investigate them, or I at least I do my best to try and find out more about them and solve mysteries that people can't solve. Well, I don't have much to say, bye and good luck.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: