You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: A Bored Ghost Named Bill

Real Ghost Stories

A Bored Ghost Named Bill

 

I recently went to Bozeman, Montana to visit my brother and his fiance, in a house that they are renting until their new house is completed. Before going to bed the first night I was there, they warned me (jokingly, I thought) that I should be aware of the ghost in the house. I've always been a bit skeptical when it comes to the supernatural, at least in regards to them being able to have actual contact with us.

Kind of spooked, I went to bed, first with the light on. After waking up around 3am, I decided it was silly to keep the light on, and decided to shut it off. Laying in the dark, I couldn't fall asleep. Tossing around, I ended up on my back staring at the ceiling. Within moments, I heard a low tone, as if someone had turned on an electrical switch on a radio or something. My body was overwhelmed with vibrations from head to toe, which continued to go up and down my body during the experience to follow.

At first, along with the tone, I heard the incoherent mumbling of a man's voice. I tried to say "OK," as if to assure the ghost I wanted to hear what they had to say. Nothing came out except air and my own incoherent voice. I kept trying to say "OK," then decided to ask, "What are you doing here?" Again, I struggled to make any sense, all that came out were my gasps and grunts.

What followed still gives me chills. After I tried to speak, I saw the appearance of a man at the side of my bed, close to my feet. He was wearing a button down shirt tucked into pants, and his hands were in his pant pockets. I could also see his face, he looked like a man in his sixties, with little or no hair. He then said, "Well, I was just up here, so..." and that was it. Note that I was in the upstairs bedroom at the time, and the only one upstairs that night. When he spoke, his lips were illuminated slightly more than the rest of his body.

After he spoke, he was gone and the vibrations and tone stopped. I have since read a bit about sleep paralysis, which has made me question whether or not I was actually awake when the encounter happened. Before reading all of those articles, I had no doubt in my mind that I was awake and fully aware of my body at the time, how I was trying to speak, and how clear the image of this man was. The experience was so physically overwhelming that I can't believe that it has some scientific, non-supernatural explanation.

After speaking to my brother and his fiance about the situation, they related their similar experiences. About a week earlier, she had heard a man's voice saying, "Uh, this is Bill?" as well as experiencing the same vibrating/frozen physical feelings. Their bed had and continued to vibrate at all times of the day before, during, and after my stay with them. My brother's fiance had also heard a woman's voice one night, who said, "Look at her lips," referring to my future sister-in-law's trembling mouth while she was again incapacitated and trying to speak.

Needless to say my trip, which was supposed to be centered around snowboarding, good eating, and visiting with family, ended up centered around Bill and his companion(s) in the house. I'm definitely not a skeptic anymore.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Molly, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Paranormalofmontana (1 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-03-21)
This is an interesting story, I was wondering have you inspecting this any further have you had a group come out.
steffi_sees_them (9 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-04)
I wonder if Bill and the woman were wedded or lovers who died in the house.
maemuite (5 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-20)
It sounds like a cool experience. I like the fact that you are wide awake and aware and not scared. When I experienced Somethin it was something on me choking me in my bed and I wake up and I was like what the ****...and I guess it stopped trying to kill me before I could really die. Wish I had a friendly ghost like that. That was at my mother's old place and now my boyfriend and I have ghosts that knock the picture frame, move the glass cabinet, break a drinking glass, move the drink (not slowly but quite fast in the way that I have to grab it before it drops on the floor from the coffee table). I never believed in ghosts...don't want to. Don't really care, but I know ghost exist because I experienced them.
ItsMeKrissi (11 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-17)
Aaaah, died! I'm sorry, I meant to write 'died' and not 'does'...
ItsMeKrissi (11 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-17)
you know what's funny?
My grandfather does in his mid sixties... And his name was also Bill...
sterhawk123 (1 stories) (28 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-02-10)
Bill and the lady seem like nice people. 😁 Just like the ghost (s) at my house 😊
zacksawyer (1 stories) (20 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-03-07)
whoa, that was definitely a paranormal experience. The warning alone from your brother and his fiance was creepy enough for me to regret being there (if I was in your situation that is). Did you guys investigate or know whom that entity belongs to?.
ghostreader1000 (34 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-01-30)
Molly,
Hi there I am Mike and I have the ability to see ghosts and even talked to a few. Your experince was not lack of sleep. In fact you can assure it was real. I mean your brother did say they had a ghost. My assumtion of it is that he must have been lonely his last remaining years.

Seems to me that he just wants to fell needed and someone to talk to. He never seemed to want to inflict pain or hurt you in any way at all. Just take it as simple as you can. If you need advice or have questions post them here I will get back to you asap. God Bless
AshleyHalliwell (4 stories) (100 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-01-30)
I think that this sounds more like an experiance with the supernatural then sleep paralysis. It doesn't seem like the spirits mean you any harm so that's good. I guess Bill really was just bored. He seemed kind of lonely. Like he was looking for someone to talk to. If your brother and his fiance still live there, try getting them to talk to Bill. It might make him happy.

~Blessed Be~
Templar (1 stories) (24 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-23)
My friend who is a Nurse and a very logical guy had the same experience. He was sleeping in the basement of his girfriends house and they had an antique surgical table there reportedly from the Civil War. Anyway he was sleeping but was slowly coming awake from the sound of a hum or vibration. As he awoke he realized that his arm was numb and being held up in the air out to his side, surrounded by a blue haze. He got scared and pulled his arm back and the blue haze moved down to the end of the bed and disapeared. Very similar to your story.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-06)
Hi Molly, I'm one of those people who drive themselves mad with trivia! The movie was called 'The Others'. By the way, I thought it was a great movie. I might be a trivia nut, though some will say my taste in movies sucks!
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-06)
Hi Molly. That was a truly amazing story. I've never heard anything like that before. Well, my suggestion may be silly but, here goes - maybe they are on a different plane and see you and your family as ghosts. They sound pretty amazed by your presence. I'm thinking along the lines of this one particular movie from 5 or so years ago starring Nicole Kidman, they think they have ghosts only to find out that they are actually the ghosts. The name totally escapes me but it was a pretty big hit. Now I don't know how stupid that sounds, and I hate to compare to a movie, but who knows what is possible, so much is unknown. I guess it's something to think about anyway. Thanks for a great story, I really enjoyed it.
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-05)
Hi Molly,
Yep, I started to say sleep paralysis too, but I think it may have started out as such, but became something more. Interesting. There are too many additional unknowns and science has not yet caught up to send us the memo. Thank you for sharing this with us.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-04)
From your description of the encounter, I would say it was not sleep apralysis. It could be that the electrical type hum that you heard was there to assist in 'Bill's' manifestation-- there is a theory that when there is a manifestation, a lot of energy is required and used by the 'entity'.
What an interesting story! Thank you so much for sharing!

God Bless!
Tonith (1136 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-02)
Does ring of sleep paralysis and we know what the power of suggestion can do to the imagination. However that doesn't account for the bed vibrating unless the place they lived was built over some kind of past mining land or over a natural fault line.
Also it is said that 3 am. Is considered the "dead time",when spirits can cross into our dimension. Don't know how true it is but many people relate the 3 am. Time factor. Wonder if these ghosts will follow your family to their new home? Either you are all sensitive or the ghosts are so active even a skeptic can come into contact with them. Great writing by the way. You express yourself well.
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-02)
This or should I say these ghost seem friendly. Just kind of watching and making some kind of comments. But are not harmfull, more of letting you know they are there. Was a well written story. Thanks for writing it and sharing with us.
FRAWIN (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-02)
Hello Molly. It would be very easy to dismiss your experience as a simple case of sleep paralysis but I don't this was just sleep paralysis. I think it started out as such but ended up being more. Science tells us that it is possible to experience this when you are in the altered state between sleep and awake but they can't tell you what it actually is or what else is possible in this state.
Thank you for sharing your story, I found it very interesting. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: