You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: The Elemental of Forest

Real Ghost Stories

The Elemental of Forest

 

It was only about a year ago in late September, early October that an acquaintance and soon to be good friend of mine began talking about the band shirt I was wearing that day. We conversed through class and carried our conversation on outside. Right as we were about to depart my friend brought up what would seem like a strange topic, and to anyone that is not familiar with the paranormal it would indeed seem strange.

He mentioned the woods behind his house and the strange happenings at and around them. He mentioned noises sounding like an elephant's trumpet, screeches like those of freight train, odd feelings like one is being watched, orbs, shadows, and much more. It sounded much too good to be true so I, not knowing my new friend that much yet, asked if he drank excessively or did drugs. He told me he did not drink and has never done drugs in his life. Upon further investigating of the site and getting to know him a little better, both his assertions of his haunted woods and his drug and drink free lifestyle were indeed true. But with the haunted woods I got a little bit more than I could bargain for.

We set a day that we could stop by and investigate the woods further together, and on that day I still was apprehensive of all of what he had told me was going on. When I arrived the house was a small two story, kind of seemed old like from maybe back in the 50's with shutters and a painted a faded blue against the aging vinyl siding. The front yard had all sorts of Halloween decor with the obligatory Jack-O-Lantern, black cats, and stereotypical witches. It seemed sorta quaint in an eerie sort of way. One could barely see the woods behind the house, except for one GIGANTIC oak tree, the likes of which would dwarf any house short of a mansion.

I entered the house and we goofed off until darkness set in. I went downstairs for a drink and a smoke and was informed the fridge with the drinks was in the garage, which was convenient enough for me because the side door was strategically place next to the fridge. I grabbed my drink and stepped outside into a small chain linked area surrounding the side door. The chain linked area was small maybe 5x5 area and was contained in his already fenced yard. I believe it was something the previous owners installed to deter thieves. Regardless, I was standing in the middle and proceeded to light up. I took a few drags of the cigarette and out of no where I heard a tap-tap on the vinyl siding coming from around the corner towards the back of the house. I dismissed this as nothing but the wind or even his dogs even though the tapping seemed to come from about my height, 6 foot 2 inches.

I continued smoking, but then heard another tap-tap this time a little closer to the edge of the house. Again dismissed this as the wind or animal. I then heard another tap-tap this time closer to the edge of the house. I stopped smoking now and my eyes fixed on that corner. I then heard a SLAP-SLAP coming from RIGHT around the corner. I immediately ran in to see where everyone was to possibly catch my friend trying to play up his stories he had told earlier, only to find him sitting down upstairs on his computer. I told him the story and he explained to me of the spirit that wanders into his yard and plays tricks like that. Now, with this fresh in my mind, I had to know what else was out there.

We went outside and around his house to his back woods as we got closer and closer to the forest's edge there was just a feeling of something staring back at you from the woods and there was a strange force, akin to "this is a bad idea" feeling, that surrounded the perimeter of the forest. I dared not go any further into the woods and I expressed my concern to my friend where he proceeded to say we would definitely not go into the woods that it was dangerous at night (a story for another time if this one meets a good reception). We both simply walked the perimeter and suddenly something caught my mind's eye. I felt an odd sort of energy emanating from one of the trees. I told him something is different about that tree, he told me that is where he saw the little dead girl he told me about in his stories. Another odd happening, but easily rationalized away, just like earlier with the tapping. I looked away from the tree and focused down our path where I noticed a pile of wood sitting at the end of the road past a fence. I got a very odd feeling from that area when I stared at it like someone was standing there looking back as I stared into an inanimate pile of wood. This time, I kept my feeling to myself.

We ventured around further and came across a field with a low fog and he explained to me how he believes the fog is how the forest breathes. Coming from my Druid background I agreed whole-heartedly. He warned though that when the forest breathes it can also be a warning to stay away and he has noticed activity increases when there is a fog present (On a side-note the fog seems to retreat if you stare at it too long, I swear it is the weirdest thing like the forest is self-conscious).

After a chat about the fog he told me the tale of Elemental that rose from the ground and chased him and his friend back across the field. He also told of the immense speed this "shadow" possessed, it literally cleared a football field in a matter of seconds by zig-zagging back and forth and running on knuckles in his story. This could be an exaggeration but the detail it was told with gives me a different impression. Either way I was about to find out what he meant.

We came to the other side of the field, not by cutting across like he did in his story but coming in from the other side. There was an ominous street light adjacent to a dirt road that lead back and followed the edge of the field. As soon as we approached the dirt road the street light went out. He told me that this light has a short and is known to do this frequently. I agreed with the rationalization and we continued down the path. The farther we pushed in the more I felt the air getting dense and heavy. Then all of the sudden I froze. I believe I hit the second barrier, the first I passed by when we entered the road that "this isn't a good idea" feeling barrier I spoke of before. The second barrier felt like an actual wall for me. I couldn't move. I called my friend over and told him I will not move another INCH. He agreed to head back out with me. We reached the entrance again and as soon as we neared the light went out... again.

The light came back on after a few seconds, I was facing the light with my back to the entrance while my friend stood in front of me while he talked about miscellaneous stuff and I smoked. When from behind me I heard a loud POP. The only way I can describe it is either like a small item falling from a VERY large distance like the top of a tree and slamming into a bunch of twigs or a large branch snapping. I figured it was the first and asked "What kind of trees are these?" thinking they were pine. He replied "Magnolia..." I slowly stuttered "...Magnolia's don't flower in October do they?" and just then my friend's eyes darted up. He looked at me with the most serious expression I have ever seen. He said "We have to leave, now..." I was now puzzled and frightened. What happened behind my back to scare him so badly? I wanted to know but he refused to tell me.

We slowly backed away from the entrance very calmly and we took a different route back to his house. On the way back, he told me what he saw. That branch snapping was the elemental kicking off to jump, and what he saw, and I wish I could have seen too, was the elemental jumping across the street from tree to tree to get a better view of us.

We arrived back at the house fine and I have told this story many times to people familiar with these things and I was given many different responses, but one response stood out among all of the others and it had to do with the history of the woods and previous events there that I was not present for. I am willing to share all of my stories I have of these woods that I have experienced and all of the stories that I know of the woods from my close friend. I will leave with this, that the night I was there only scratched the surface of what is out there...

Other hauntings by deathcipris

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, deathcipris, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

TruthInDarkness (4 stories) (259 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-09)
Hi deathcipris. This reminds me of stories that have been told about Old House Woods in Matthews County, VA. I think your story is a bit darker though. In what part of VA did your events take place? I haven't been to Old House Woods... Yet. It's probably about an hour drive from where I live. Both of these areas sound interesting and worth checking out.
princessLotus (2 stories) (555 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-12)
I love this story. Told so well, I truly felt as if I were there with you boys. Thank you so much for telling & I will look for your other tales. I know this is an old post but I try to read them all. I enjoy it. & this one I like very much.~LSD~ ❤
scrapmetalkitten (306 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-16)
I really liked this story. This big spirit was some sort of guardian of the woods then? Didn't take kindly to trespassers? I think there are some stories in Europe about guardians of the forest. Anyways I added this story to my favorites thanks for posting:)
Youkai223 (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-18)
Dude, out of curiosity, which county is it in? I mean, in matthews county, near the Chesapeake bay, is a place called the old house woods, and there's some freaky stuff happening in there. So I was wondering if it was near there.
marcink125 (2 stories) (27 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-12)
Could your friend have seen a crow flying from one tree to another, but then again that doesn't explain the broken tree branch?
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-06)
deathcipris, very interesting story, I enjoyed it, I'm also looking forward to all the different experiences you've had there. I don't know anything about elementals but I would certainly say there is something in those woods that doesn't want any company. Can't wait for more!
deathcipris (2 stories) (21 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-06)
Wow, everyone seems to agree, this thing is an elemental. I kind of took a stab at what it was lol.
Anna12 (1 stories) (44 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-05)
Oh and September and October are very important months to Elementals. These are some of the main months for Elementals to come out. Seems like you guys were in the wrong place at the wrong time :-)
Good luck
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-05)
I agree with Anna.
Gnomes are very mischievous creatures. They do at times feel quite vicious, though. I do not think they intend to, I could be wrong there as I am not a gnome 😊 Some of their pranks are, well, a bit dangerous to humans (pinching, poking, punching, shoving).
Thank you.
looney85 (3 stories) (188 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-05)
Hey deathcipris,

I love your story, is well written. I used to lived next to the forest growing up so I know exactly what you are talking about. Now that I think about it, I should post some stories of my experiences with the creepy forest. 😁
anyways, I'm glad you guys didn't get hurt... Cant wait for your next story! 😉
take care, Neivy
Anna12 (1 stories) (44 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-04)
I'm excited to read your next one. Does it have to do with the forest? Or Elementals?
Keeps us posted. :-)
deathcipris (2 stories) (21 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-04)
I already have the next one written I am just waiting for the submission to be re-opened. It is looking to be about 3 pages single spaced.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-04)
I have heard more and more stories regarding wooded areas and 'protection' there in.

What a fascinating story! I would love to hear more.

God Bless!
deathcipris (2 stories) (21 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-03)
That definitely collaborates with the story of how my friend was punched by the Elemental by going deep into the forest on one of his excursions. He also said that it will crawl out of the ground when it appears. You definitely don't get a warm and fuzzy feeling when it nears either.
Anna12 (1 stories) (44 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-03)
Great story! I am Wiccan, and I am of the Earth Element, so I know exactly what you're talking about. I have had MANY experiences similar to yours, especially with Elementals.
Well first of all, I think the Elemental you encountered was some kind of gnome. They are the main Elementals of the forest. They can be very...vicious? No that's not the right word. Well, they are curious and don't take kindly to humans (especially crossing into their territory).
Be careful when entering forests at night. This is when Elementals come out and if you have not gained the respect of Earth Mother, they can be very dangerous.
Thanks for the story, I enjoyed it very much.

Blessed be!
Lalat (2 stories) (38 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-03)
where I grew up we have lots of elemental, never saw one though but I know a lot of people whove encountered them or even interact with them. And what deathcipris is talking about sounds a lot like what I have heard about.
deathcipris (2 stories) (21 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-02)
I failed to mention that when I was exiting the dirt road to get back to the street, I looked behind me and saw something crouched in the bushes. I looked forward again, then looked back once more to see something standing in the middle of the road behind us.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-02)
Never thought of a field as being haunted but that may explain the shadow people I saw in a field. I still don't know what an elemental is. Obviously some kind of scary looking animal creature of the underworld or nether regions. Woods are always spooky at night. Sounds are exaggerated when it's very quiet. The palpable feeling of a wall could have been the heaviness of a moist atmosphere because of the fog.I'm sure this all happened to you. I am just pointng out some of the rational explanations for it. Many times if we are looking to find something we do. Just don't know if it's imagination or the real deal. Great story.
deathcipris (2 stories) (21 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-02)
I appreciate it and I will gladly post another experience of mine from the woods this time with more explanation of some behind the scenes stuff. Honestly, it would be difficult for me to believe all of this if I weren't there. I am a believer, but I remain skeptical. Ohh, and thank you both for the compliment on the story being well written.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-02)
Hello deathcipris. Thank you for an interesting and well written story. I have experienced something similar to this so I can believe what you say quite easily.I,for one, will be looking forward to your next story.Don't keep us waiting. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-02)
I can certainly believe what you said does happen. Not that I have been in a haunted forest or field. But was in a haunted back yard before with strange things going on. I would like to hear more of what is out there in future stories you write. Well written story.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: