You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Big Mama Pays a Visit

Real Ghost Stories

Big Mama Pays a Visit

 

About 2 years ago, a beloved cat named Big Mama passed away. She belonged to my aunt and 2 cousins, but was loved by the whole family. She was the sweetest cat I've ever encountered. Before I tell the supernatural part of this story, I feel I have to tell you how amazing Mama was.

Originally, when I was about 7, my aunt's brother had to get rid of her because he couldn't take care of her in his new home he was moving to. So she took her, changed her name from Chewy (short for Chewbaca, or however you spell that Star Wars character) to Big Mama, and brought home the most beautiful cat in the world.

She was a calico cat, colored orange, brown, white and black, and she was really fluffy. She would do all sorts of tricks to make us laugh and loved to cuddle and be petted.

A few years after, my cousin wanted another cat, which she brought home. Her name was Tweety. She was black, slinky, and had an attitude problem. She was always hissing and clawing at everyone. Big Mama was scared of her, and I don't blame her; she scared me, too!

Eventually the two got used to each other and a couple times we'd catch them cuddling together. Years later when Tweety would give birth to her first litter of kittens, Big Mama would watch the birth and then come meowing to my aunt to alert her: the kittens were here! As the kittens got older, Big Mama "assisted" Tweety in mothering. She'd play with the kittens and not make a peep when they would crawl all over her.

Big Mama started to get sick, and it turned out to be a kidney stone. She had trouble going to the bathroom and when she did she would bleed. The doctors fixed her up and slowly she began to heal. She started to gain weight after that, and we always joked how her name fit her perfectly because she was "fat kitty..." She loved to roll on her back and have her tummy rubbed, making her look like a round furball. It was so cute, she was so cute.

About two years after her surgery Big Mama started losing all her weight and wouldn't eat too much. She didn't even play anymore, she would just lounge around the house. Then one day she was gone. I remember it was in the summer, in August. My aunt found her behind the tv, or under the bed; I forget which.

Two days after her death, still not believing she was gone. I decided to pay my cousin a visit after giving her some space to grieve. We were sitting in her sister's room reminiscing about Big Mama and how much we already missed her.

My cousin told me later that night on the day she died, she was laying in bed not able to sleep, still sad over Big Mama's death. All of a sudden she felt her walking on her bed and on her legs, just like she used to do when she was alive and wanted to cuddle next to you to sleep. My cousin said she was freaked out to see the blankets move and feel her paws but it was comforting.

I was thinking about this, when all of a sudden I heard Big Mama jump off the kitchen table like she used to all the time. My heart beat a million miles an hour and I looked at my cousin who grinned at me. "See? She came to visit," she said. I was amazed, and comforted because it was a bittersweet day. I had just found out my dad had cancer and it was raining that day but the sun was also shining. It was a beautiful sight, and it was almost as if Big Mama came to say she was okay and that everything would be alright.

That night I cried, and realized she was in Heaven where she belonged. We haven't gotten anymore visits from her since that day, but I know she's here still playing and sleeping and waiting to have her tummy rubbed.

Rest in peace Big Mama. I love and miss you. Xoxo.

Other hauntings by Tiffy

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Rhode Island

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Tiffy, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

stacey90 (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-28)
Hey tiffy... This story was great... Had me all teary eyed... Made me remenisce my cat...bob...he passed away due to kidney failure... Yess our pets come to say goodbye... Before they finally r.ii.p.I remeber the day I found out my bob got to sleep... I came home from school... And was just crying my eyes out askin why... And I turned to look where he wouldd always sleep and play... And there he was lookin at me... I was like bobby and then he disappeared I cryed for months and months... He was the bestest cat I've ever had... I even dreamed wit him... That someone gave me a cat juss like him and named bobby... Pets our the best thing ever... To have especially when we feel down... He passed away in 06... I now have 2 cats... Took me 4 years to get kittys again cause I didn't want to go threw the heart break... But I'm givin it a shot again... But your story was great... Take care...
Vannarra (2 stories) (26 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-09)
Wow, I'm choking back tears on this one. I miss Big Mama too and I've never even met her! 😭
Rest in peace Big Mama. I know you're happy in heaven, honey.
❤ -Vannarra (Lauren)
ozonalions (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-09)
😭 That is soooo sad! At least you got a visit with her! That has happened to a lot of people.
RIP- Big Mama

In prayers

Lauren ❤ ❤
BriFischer05 (14 stories) (169 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-08)
That story makes me miss Big Mama and I haven't even met her. Touching story. Peace and love.

Brian
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-08)
I believe our pets come back too. I had a dashound that jumped on my bed for 3 years after her passing. I would feel her walking around on the bed but was never scared. Sometime it was so real I would turn the light on just to convince myself I wasn't imagining it. Of course there was never anything there. Love between us and our pets is a special kind of love. I had a friend that would see paw prints on her pillow from her beloved dog that passed. I think it is their way of letting us know we are not forgotten either. Sorry to hear about your dad but they can do wonderful things today with modern medicine. Big Mama was a well loved and loving cat. This is such a gift when we can experience that love once more.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-07)
Hello Tiffy,
What a touching recount of events. I think that the love we share for all of our family members serve as a type of beacon to lead them back to us at times. Of course, in their love, they would find us anyway.
Thank you.
Ramzey (9 stories) (130 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-07)
That was a touching story. I am sorry about your father. Sounds like you are a strong person and I'm glad you see some balance in nature.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-07)
That was a beautiful and heart touching story! Thank you for sharing it with us!

I firmly believe some of the best family members there are are pets! They love us unconditoinally and treat us (often mostly more than deserved) with respect.

God Bless!
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-07)
Beautiful story Tiffy;just as you said,bitter-sweet! I don't think we ever trully lose the ones we hold so dear in our hearts. Instead, the love we have given them sometimes serves as a path that leads them back to us for one more moment together. Sorry to hear about your dad. ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: