You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Hunting :: Sloss Furnaces

Real Ghost Stories

Sloss Furnaces

 

Nestled deep in a city full of new businesses and fancy car dealerships lies a piece of history with a haunting background. Sloss furnaces was operated as a pig iron-producing blast furnace from 1882 to 1971. Over the course of its actual industrial existence, there were many tragic deaths that occurred there. Whether it be someone crushed in a grinder, or melted in a furnace, Sloss had it all. This was back when laborers would work in the harshest conditions, especially those who worked near the furnaces in the dead of winter. Many explained it as being burned on one side of their bodies, and frozen on the other side.

If you wish to verify these facts, visit their web site.

Well, nowadays, its still used as an iron mill, but the main buildings of the place aren't used, these are also the same buildings which are said to be the most haunted, which me and my friends quickly found out for ourselves... We first traveled to Sloss Furnaces in late May, 2006. We had never been to this place before, nor did we know if we were allowed there. We walked on inside and found some workers working on the other side of the property and asked them if we could hold an investigation.

The boss there told us yes, as well as explained some of the history of the place. He also shared some of his own personal sightings in the place. So, he let us go on out there and investigate the place, we heard many sounds and saw many things while we were there. Including, a pipe swinging on its own free will, the sounds of footsteps on the catwalk, when no one was there, as well as a full body apparition step back into the shadows. I could explain some of the more serious stuff that we've seen there, but it would be better if you saw it for yourself.

So, check out the hauntings and let me know what you think, thanks for reading. Be safe, and happy hauntings.

Sloss Furnace footage 1

Add to My Profile | More Videos

More footage from Sloss

Add to My Profile | More Videos

Even more Sloss Furnace footage.

Add to My Profile | More Videos

Other hauntings by Kevan

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Alabama

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Kevan, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Kevan (10 stories) (50 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-18)
to Selina- Well, I checked the recorder after we got it working again, and I didn't capture anything on it. So I just didn't mention it.
xXselinaXx (1 stories) (5 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-04-15)
heyy Kevan I watched the "ghost adventures" today. It's every week they've got some great footage 😁 well this week the sloss furnace episode was on. And I've seen you saying you've got a slap in the face first I thought it was only a joke:P but when I decidet to go onto the internet to find out more I've seen your actual article, and I'm glad I did! Good work! But why didn't you mention you've recorded down there? 😉
aherr (4 stories) (46 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-10-31)
Keaven,

I want to be in your "Ghost Adventures" show. I'm always curious. I've seen things that were unexplainable and sometime I almost scared myself to death. It would be a great adventure. 😆
Kevan (10 stories) (50 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-14)
to twistedwispersneko. Glad you enjoyed the videos, we're actually going to be on a special on the travel channel in November, its called "Ghost adventures" and its going to have us telling about some of our experiences at Sloss
TwistedWispersNeko (3 stories) (90 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-08)
Thats pretty cool. I like the videos. Saw the eyes blink, and the apperition step back into the shadows. I couldn't really hear, since my speakers aren't great on this other computer.
essiej (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-01)
Thanks Kevan, I think shes pretty cool too, sometimes. When shes not having to act like a mom!
BellaMorte (4 stories) (19 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-11)
I have been to Sloss before. Supposedly it actually has a history of haveing relatively very few work related deaths. It is still a creepy place though.
Kevan (10 stories) (50 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-10)
To NightMaiden. Yeah, I noticed the eyes while we were there, Before the clip ends, you hear me say "Holy..." Well, I had actually said, "Holy Crap man, I think I saw something..." But yeah, the first time we went we were freaked out a little bit, mainly due to the fact that all we had were those LED lights, and those things really aren't that great. But ever since that first time, we've gone back pretty oftenly, and we feel pretty comfortable walking around down there alone and stuff.
Kevan (10 stories) (50 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-10)
To essiej, thank you very much, I'm glad you enjoyed them. Yeah, one of our favorite bands is Avenged Sevenfold. And also, you have a cool mom. My grandparents think the paranormal is stupid, and they've never really wanted me doing what I do, but its fun, so I do it. Lol.
NightMaiden (6 stories) (21 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-09)
wow...the eyes scared my pants off. When you wrote "eyes" I saw them blink and I was like: "WOAH!"...i seriously believe there are ghosts.

and yes, definitely in Sloss... So many people have died there. Crushed, melted, burned, frozen... It makes me shudder 😭

I hope they rest in peace one day. You're brave to go with your buds in there. I'd go only if someone promised to be holding hands with me the whole time. 😆

Thanks for sharing!
essiej (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-09)
kevan, my mom and myself were watching your films last night. WOW those were suhweet freaky but suhweet. This has nothing to do with the films but I noticed one of your friends had on an avenged sevenfold shirt which for me made it cooler. My mom is white buffalo if you were wondering. I'm 15. I'm looking forward to seeing more stuff from you! 😆
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-09)
It sure would. In most mine shafts, carts on rails were used for transporting. Makes perfect sense.
querida (13 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-08)
the second video was cool.
it sounded to me like the voice said "yeah it is" or "there it is"

It was also as if that "something" was following you guys and listening in.
Kevan (10 stories) (50 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-08)
To whitebuffalo, Yeah, I heard them. And I know like, the tunnel we were in used to be like an old mine shaft where they would transport iron and ore and stuff to the surface, I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-08)
You are welcome, Kevan.
Did you here the clickity-clack too? Sounds as if... Well, you know. I wonder if the tracks were moved at one point to make room for progress? We have a section in our town where the rails were moved to put in a few more buildings. Just a thought there. But unless someone else heard them too, maybe it was the sound of pipes banging together?
Kevan (10 stories) (50 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-08)
Hello Tonith. Well, what happened with the chair thing was. Tyler, who was filming was on one end of the tunnel, and me and Adam were at the other end. Well, we heard the chair slide, so we called Tyler over. And we walked back up there to see if anyone was there, but there wasn't. I didn't notice one of the chairs was missing until I watched the tape. Also, in the first sequence where Tyler comes up the stairs and looks into the room with the chair, he actually pans pretty far over to the left, and there isn't a chair, so you can see that it was taken.
Tonith (1136 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-08)
I heard that one whisper. Very freaky. Good investigating. What was that missing chair thing? Now that was scary. I didn't hear a chair move but when the carmera panned again it was gone. Did that dawn on you right away that the chair was missing or didn't it register? I enjoyed the tour.
Kevan (10 stories) (50 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-08)
Hello whitebuffalo, good ears man, I never heard SOS tapped out on there before. Then I read your comment and watched the videos, and I heard them. And also we were about a mile away from the nearest train tracks. Oh yeah, and thanks for finding "Is that what your talking about?" as well man, I always thought I heard something, but I could never completely make it out. Thanks man.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-08)
Hello Kevan.
In the last video, I distinctly heard someone ask "is that what you're talking about?" right after someone asked the pipe to be shaken more violently. Also, in two of the videos I heard what sounded like a train or a trolley click-clanking from above. That is a pretty distinct sound, so were you near any tracks? Also in two of the videos SOS was tapped out in morse code. As none of these things were in the captions that you had going across the screen, I was wondering if any of you were aware of them and what they could be?
Kevan (10 stories) (50 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-08)
Thanks for commenting everyone. Once again, I'd like to say I'm sorry some of the images didn't show up too well, but in a couple of months I should be getting a new computer, and my capture card should work better on it, so it will be in a higher quality. Once again, thanks everyone.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-07)
Hi Kevan. My computer has a bad case of "the can't help its" so I couldn't view your videos. I am like Ohiowatha, I like your style-it adds credibility. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us. Talk to you later.

FRAWIN ❤
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-07)
The story was great, but I have an old computer and couldn't view the movie and some of the pictures as well. Wish I could of seen the viedo too.
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-07)
Excellent, Kevan! I'm not so sure about some of the images, but the audio is pretty cool. At any rate, your having loaded your collection of evidence is testament to your credibility. Hope to see a lot more of you on here, sir.

Thanks so much for sharing.
Ramzey (9 stories) (130 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-07)
Wish I could go there and investigate... I just haven't been since the Coldness at Buttermilk I experienced. Keep more coming!
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-07)
Hi Kevan. Great job hunting, that was a mighty spooky place to be hanging around in. You got some interesting footage, some was a little hard to make out but it was really good that you pointed some of the things out with the circles. I thought your explanations between pieces of film were really helpful. Thanks a lot for sharing that.
Karyn (1 stories) (63 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-07)
Wow! That was very interesting. Kind of like an ametuer version of,"Ghost Hunters", on the Sci-Fi channel.
I hope you can show us more of your footage. I, like, KimSouthO was not able to see everything but the noises and the eyes were pretty good.
Good Luck and Happy and Safe hunting!
Kevan (10 stories) (50 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-07)
Yeah, I'm sorry those didn't show up too well, my computers old, so my videos wouldn't capture the images in the best quality. Thanks for reading.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-07)
Although I was not able to view the still photos, I did view the you tube video. I also thouroughly enjoyed your written account of Sloss Furnace.

Thank you for taking the time to share your investigative video with us!

God Bless!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: