You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Old Lady Ghost Hides Stuff from Us

Real Ghost Stories

Old Lady Ghost Hides Stuff from Us

 

When my father and his new wife moved into the house they currently reside in, they knew well that the previous owner's mother had died in the back bedroom. It was rumored that the previous owner had been a drug dealer/user who had been siphoning off of his mother's social security check and possibly over medicated her prior to her death.

After his mother died, he not only moved out, he left the country for New Zealand. My father was amused by this fact and used to joke ceaselessly about the old dead lady living in the house. If anything went wrong or went missing it was the old lady in the house. Well, my step-sister did not think this was funny considering she was a latch key kid at the time and had to spend several hours alone at the house by herself before her mother or my father would return home from work. She swears the door knobs would twist on her bedroom door and the bathroom, when she was home alone... The entire time that she lived there, until she grew up and moved out, she would turn on every light in the entire house once dark hit.

During my brother's and my weekend visits to my father's house we would often come up with missing articles that would return to their original placement after a great deal of searching. One afternoon I placed a silver ring that my sister had given me on the center table candy dish in the living room area while I brushed my hair before putting the ring on for the day. I brushed my hair and then went to place the ring on my finger but discovered that the ring was gone. I searched high and low and enlisted the help of my two brothers and my father because the ring was important to me because it was the first gift that my new step-sister had given to me and I loved it.

I should mention that my father is a veteran police officer for a large city and knows how to search for and find anything. I'm talking ripping up the sofa cushions, emptying trash can, looking in the refrigerator... Well we could not find that ring. I was forced to leave the house at the end of my weekend visit without my trinket. And I was pissed...

Two days later my dad calls me and tells me that my step-mother had found my ring sitting in the candy dish in the middle of the table that I had originally placed the ring before brushing my hair. When my step-mother found the ring in the candy dish and asked my dad if that was the ring that they had been looking for so hard and my Dad exclaimed "Where did you find that". Dad tried to convince my step-mother that we had searched the candy dish before and that the ring had been nowhere to be seen. My step-mother still thinks that we just over looked the ring but that is not possible because we even moved the sofa looking for it and it just showed up in the middle of the room where four people had been searching? I don't think so.

I think the old lady had the ring and when she saw I was upset she gave it back. Stupid Ol'Heifer!

Other hauntings by bogienova

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, bogienova, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Shayne (1 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-03-13)
When I was a child I took and hid my Grandma's soup bowl. It was beautiful with a unicorn on it so I loved it. When she realized it was gone she yelled at me so I ran upstairs to retrieve it and to my surprise it was gone! I searched for hours always returning back to the drawer I hid it in. I finally gave up. Days later I opened the drawer to get something and there was the soup bowl.
bogienova (10 stories) (38 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-11)
Oh yeah, now that I think about it my Dad's dvd remote did disappear over the last week 😆! She is probably thinks he needs the exercise! 😆
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-11)
What I have a problem with at times is figuring out if they are playing, or if they are angry. Some of the things that happen could be taken both ways. But I find it refreshing that they can make us laugh too.
bogienova (10 stories) (38 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-11)
No worries, Whitebuffalo. 😊
Sometimes my two year old nephew will be laughing away at nothing like he is playing with her and it makes me smile... To think that she is having fun.
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-11)
Oh, I know, bogienova. We say silly things about our ghosties at times too, it just seems like as if after we make those kinds of comments, something negative happens. It is almost as if they have no sense of humor (we know that not to be true, though, don't we? Some are complete pranksters!) that is why I wrote that maybe she did not know or understand that these words were spoken in jest.
That last sentence was just a general statement written as a reminder for those who intentionally set out to disrespect. I do not think you did. Sorry if my meaning was not clear.
Thank you.
bogienova (10 stories) (38 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-11)
I was completely kidding by calling her an 'ol Heifer!? It was meant in affection. We liked her and still do. We have an off sense of humor in my family and I meant no disrespect to the old lady of the house. She has always been very sweet and we do talk to her when something turns up missing at my dad's house, he still lives there. I think she likes that the grandkids come over and play with her...
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-11)
Great story. I totally buy it (which is very rare), because it's very simple and plausible and you didn't pump it up to make it more incredible or force people to "believe you..." Plus, it's pretty typical "ghost-action," as it were. Missing things showing up right where you (mis)placed them.

It's sorta creepy to think there's someone there always listening/watching, though, huh?
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-11)
Echo, Echo, Echo to Whitebuffalo. 'Stupid ol'heffer---you have no idea what trauma this woman endured.

Glad that you are okay and that your family has moved on,however, I do hope that your family has also learned some valuable lessons when approaching 'things' you know nothing about. Humor is not always the best way, unless you can couple that with respect of the situation and any and all that the situation may involve.

God Bless!
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-10)
Oh, Oh, Oh, Did your Dad mess that one up. I believe the reason that she started taking things was simply because she had been made the scapegoat of the house. Every time something could not be found, who was blamed? Even if you misplaced something yourself, she was in the spotlight (I use the word "you" all encompassing)
I do hope that none of your family still lives in the home, or that you have helped her to the Other Side, as this woman was just doing "paybacks". She never meant to hurt anyone's feelings or make any one dislike her (you said "Stupid Ol'Heifer" too) and did not completely understand that these words were spoken in jest.
Never speak ill of the dead. They are our ancestors and deserve our respect for no other reason than that they WERE.
Thank you.
FRAWIN (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-10)
Hello bogienova. I found your story very interesting, thanks for sharing. I have found that when such things happen to me, I politely ask for them back. 90 percent of the time they are returned promptly. I have never had anything to stay gone. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: