You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Ghost in the School Lavatory

Real Ghost Stories

Ghost in the School Lavatory

 

It all started with a scary rumor in around 3 or 4th grade. Of course, we all thought it was the boys' doing so they could scare us easily. Some of the girls (including me), were about to find that the rumor had a grain of truth in it.

I am sure most of you are familiar with the "Bloody Mary" rumor that surrounds most of the bathrooms in school. I am sure that my elementary school is haunted, no kidding. The rumor went like so (it is a bit elaborate, but I'm sure some kids in my class just buffed it up a bit to become scarier): If you wanted to see Bloody Mary's ghost, you'd have to use the last toilet and flush it three times. Then, wash your hands at the second last sink and chant her name three times. Supposedly, then you'd see red and the ghost would appear to you (and supposedly kill you, but that never happened, of course)...

We had all brushed this off as a scary story just to make students weary and scared in the halls (my school has long halls, and they're dark too.) We were at our lunch break and most of the girl students were yammering and munching on their sandwiches. We heard a door slam, a scream, and running feet. One of our classmates was before us, sobbing like she'd never cried before. Her face was pale and her hands were shaking. Everyone was in disarray. We thought her legs were ready to give out.

We all crowded around her and asked her what was wrong. She continued crying for a minute or so, but we couldn't understand what she was saying. When she finally calmed down, we sat her at a bench and she started to speak, while taking out her lunch and gulping down water violently.

She said she was washing her hands and she looked up in the mirror to comb her hair. She said that her vision became red and when it focused, she saw a lady in an elaborate dress in the mirror standing behind her. The lady stretched out her hands, and the tips of her fingers were just a hint of red. She then said that she had swerved to see her clearer, but when she turned around, the lady was gone. Following that, as she walked out of the bathroom, the door slammed forcibly behind her. That was the last straw. She came running, and that's when the things stopped.

Naturally, everyone comforted her and the end of the day came. By the end of the classes, everyone was already talking about the incident in the afternoon. I, for one, thought that she had been so intoxicated by the rumors that she had just seen it all for herself. The doors in the bathroom are either red, green, or blue, and I thought she had been staring too long at the red and seen it before her. Boy oh boy, was I wrong.

A few days later, I was washing my hands in the elementary bathroom. I looked up, and lo behold, behind me was a lady in an elaborate dress and her hair pinned up in a style I had only seen in books. I froze like a statue. The water ran on my hands, unnoticed by now. We just stared at each other for some time. Suddenly, a door slammed on one of the bathroom cabinets. I jumped in fright. I turned and the lady was gone. The door slammed two or three times before I came to my senses. Forgetting to wipe my hands and leaving the tap open, I raced through the bathroom entrance.

After that, I haven't seen that lady since. But weird things happened in the bathroom after. I'd be washing my hands and I'd hear a door close. I'd ask "Who's there?", and I'd hear footsteps, and they'd lead out of the bathroom, but no one would be there. Several times doors would open and close on their own accord and the bathroom's climate would change drastically. One minute it would be warm because of the heating system (in the winter), and you'd visit it five minutes later; the air would be cold, and you could almost see your breath.

I put my hand to the radiator; It was still working, but the heat didn't seem to affect the atmosphere. After that, the girls in my class and I started using the bathroom upstairs. We had to climb an extra flight of stairs, but no one cared. Better to use a normal bathroom than a haunted one.

Other hauntings by NightMaiden

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Greece

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, NightMaiden, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Fang14 (1 stories) (5 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-03)
I believe you, I have had an experience with bloody mary befor... As soon as I can submit the story I will... 😕
LilithGarner (10 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-01)
Wow!Y'know there's a story where you say Bloody Mary 13 times in a dark room at midnight (maybe you should do it on Friday the 13th just in case) and she'll let you talk to a dead person until 12:08 AM, when they dissapear. SO going to try it. And the best part-she doesn't try to kill you!:D
77believer (1 stories) (34 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-17)
I don't blame you for being waht you call rude, what I call just like me when I have a bad day. I know how you feel. I totally believe you that that was a ghost. It's weird since you found out it wasn't anything but an empty space before. Maybe someone used a Ouija board before and did those steps you talked about.
NightMaiden (6 stories) (21 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-18)
Rhodes-- My intention wasn't to sound mean or offensive, but things are hard here, and the people who surround me are far from helpful; I looked up the history of my school... So far, the only thing that has come up is that it was an empty lot before anything was built on it.

And I'm Greek, too. This isn't a contest, though; there have been many incidents in the school since the story above. I don't know what goes on there anymore because I transferred somewhere else, so I guess this mystery will always be unsolved. 😳

I didn't intend to generalize... I just pointed out a fact about the people around me.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-13)
NightMaiden I hate to intrude as this is your story and I do not want to sound as if I'm doubting your experience because I don't but I found your remark about Greeks far too offensive. I was born in Greece, lived both in Greece as well as in the states and Australia, my granddad is half Italian and I also have family in England as well as Sweden. Through my interaction with all these nationalities I have come to know all kinds of people:kind and helpful ones, indifferent ones and down-right-rude ones all over the world. Generalizing about the behaviour of a whole nation and suggesting that it is in their genes and culture to be rude, I find it to be not only incorrect but also quite unfair. Even more both my husband and I are teachers and I can tell you for a fact that if you inquire about your school's historical background, you will find a few people willing to assist you. You shouldn't approach them though by revealing your Bloody Mary incident
NightMaiden (6 stories) (21 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-13)
states maybe
im not in the states X3
im in Greece
Trust me, It is much harder here
the people are really rude 😠
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-12)
Most generally when seeking the history of an active school (I mean one where live students still study 😊) all you have to do is to go to the administrative office and all of the information is there. At least that is how easy it is here in the states.
Thank you.
NightMaiden (6 stories) (21 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-12)
yes, the thought of the lady being completely indifferent to the school seems to come to mind again and again.

whitebuffalo- thank you for sharing that with me. The girl I'm talking about wasn't very trustworthy, but I don't think she was lying. She most certainly did plump up the story, though. She confessed to us a few months later. She told us she had seen only the lady. I'm wondering what my school was before it was built? My school is 60 years old... It might have a good history.

Thanks for the comments! 😁
NightMaiden (6 stories) (21 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-12)
ermm...ok, yes I am in middle school, but I also thought that it was her imagination

maybe pranksters? Who knows
thanks for all the answers!
bogienova (10 stories) (38 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-11)
This sounds remarkably similiar to the "Bloody Mary" that stalks Texas... Urban legends are stories that are told so many times and often with believable details that people begin taking them as fact rather than fiction. I think this may be the case here. Sounds like it started as a "fun" little ghost story and got out of hand...
Peace and safety,
Bogienova
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-11)
Bloody Mary sure does get around doesn't she? I will have to agree with my buddy from Ohio, this is a well written piece of fiction. Thanks for sharing it with us. Take Care.

FRAWIN 🤔
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-11)
This is some very, very well-written fiction, NightMaiden. Thanks so much for sharing and keep up the great writing!
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-11)
I think we have all heard these types of tales regarding our schools at one time or another.

I am not stating you did not see the woman, however I would not believe it had anything at all to do with the rumors. The red color, as you stated the doors have different colors painted, this may cause things to appear with a red hue--especailly after being told all of the horrow stories.

It may be possible that the woman witnessed has a different type of tie to the schoold. As many students have passed through the doors, I am certain many professionals have as well.

God Bless!
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-11)
Every school must have a story like this one. If you look you will probably find 10 stories almost exactly the same as this one on this site, this one is much better written though. If you are in grade 3 or 4, maybe in 5 by now, that would make you about 11 years old. That would also make you extremely intelligent and talented. I have to say, I'm imagining a high school student practicing a short story assignment out on us, maybe just someone who's bored and has some talent with the written word. I enjoyed reading it though.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-11)
I am actually wondering about the first girl in the story who had been so terribly frightened you all thought that she would collapse. Most generally when someone is that frightened, thought of food or drink flees their thought pattern and often times need to be forced to eat.
Is it possible that this girl spun a tale so believable that you and the others took it to heart and were seeing things through the power of her suggestion? You mentioned that the story had made its run through the rumor mill at school and you had all previously heard the story, so it has me wondering as to the power of imaginations.
Thank you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: