You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Strange Happenings in my Home

Real Ghost Stories

Strange Happenings in my Home

 

Our family has had many experiences and we even have a "family" ghost story and someday I will write about it but tonight I am going to write about happenings in my home: Shortly after Hurricane Charley hit our home, we began renovations to the house. My partner "S" stated that on a few occasions he saw a little man, not much taller than the back of our dining room chairs, wearing a derby hat, walk through the sliding glass door (it was closed) past the table and go into the wall between the fridge and the new kitchen cabinets.

Since I had the house built in 1993 and was the only person who lived in this house, I decided that it was an imprint left over from sometime in the past, until one day when "S" was bringing the mail into the bedroom, he caught this little man standing by the head of our bed, the little man saw him, acted startled and ran behind the bed into the wall. This room was also being worked on and the bed was pulled away from the wall so that is why the little man could run around the bed and go into the wall. Haven't seen him since then.

"S" hadn't told me this story until one day when I approached him and told him that I thought we had a ghost in the house because I keep seeing a shadow of a tall thin man wearing a fedora hat, peering around the corner at me. He has seen him too and he said he was trying to think of a way to tell me and was glad I brought it up.

This dark figure has been spotted by many people, we call him the "Traveler", My sister sees one in her home, a friend of my adult daughter has seen one, a patient in the hospital where I work saw one yesterday, and I have noticed many others have described him on various "ghost" sites. Would like to hear like stories about him.

My dog tends to look like he is looking a someone and several time he pushes his toy toward where he is looking as if he wants someone to play with him. He also looks towards the kitchen a lot and barks.

Other smaller instances are: 1. Dog gate not only fell over in the night it flipped and face a different direction then it would have it it just fell on it's side. 2. I woke in the middle of the night and saw what looked like glowing wings on the wall. 3. I placed the tv remote control on top of my bed pillow, left the room to talk to "S" and when I came back into the room it was missing, I found it inside the pillow case. 4. I came home from work one night and when I went into the kitchen I noticed that tip was missing from the faucet and I asked "S" how the faucet got broken and he said it wasn't, I went back to check it out, I touched the sharp edge, even convinced myself that there wasn't a tip for this faucet and went to bed. The next morning the tip was back on the faucet. 5. I was resting in my hot tub one night and I tend to fall asleep in it. In my sleep (dream) a voice said "are you the person in the hot tub?" and I answered "yes" it then said "prepare yourself for cold water" I woke up with a start and laughed and thought what a strange dream, all of the sudden the recycle jets on the spa turned on and out rushed cold water and blasted my sides. I was glad I was awake when the cold water hit! 6. Last night at two different times there was a bell of some sort ringing loudly, The first one woke me up, "S" was coming back to bed (bathroom) and the second time he was in bed and it woke us up, the dog started to bark. That morning we tried to duplicate the sound, trying our smoke detector, microwave, alarm clock, timers and the phone but nothing made a similar sound.

So what do you think going on in my house? I just want you to know that I am in my 50's "S" is in his 60's we don't do drugs, rarely drink and have no reason to brag about ghosts in our home. I've been on many ghost hunts with a professional team and I was the one who tried to disprove events and had to be convinced that what was really happening was true.

Other hauntings by MOTHERPANN

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, MOTHERPANN, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-17)
Hi MOTHERPANN. I really enjoyed reading your story. It's sounds like an innocent but intelligent haunting. I have also, throughout my life, experienced the tall man with the fedora hat. I really don't know who this being is but he is definitely a traveler since there are so many people that have seen him. So you never experienced anything in your home before hurricane Charlie? I remember that hurricane. I was pregnant and my husband boarded up our house only for "Charlie" to take a different turn, thank God! We were supposed to get a direct hit from that hurricane. Very scary!

SHELBY ❤ 😊
Joie (1 stories) (39 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-13)
Sounds to me like you have yourself a true haunting. Congratulations! LOL. It seems to be a kind one, though- very helpful and playful. Especially waking you about the cold water that would be coming from the jets! WOW-WEE! Keep us posted if you have other interesting occurances.

BTW- you asked what might be going on. I think you have an intelligent haunting. For those of you who do not know what that means- basically it's someone, or something that can interact with their surroundings. There are many forms of hauntings- seems to me that you know the gist, since you've been on hunts. There are residual hauntings- meaning something happens at the same time, in the same place, every time. Then the intelligent ones that interact with you, and the demonic- the evil, possessive haunts. Not to mention poltergiest activity... Granted there are many other hauntings, but I'm just naming a few! Seems like there might be a bit of that, as well- with the movement of objects. So far it seems innocent- nothing dangerous! Keep an eye out, though- if it gets to be a bit too much ask for more assistance!
MOTHERPANN (10 stories) (77 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-12)
Thanks for all your responses, I have never been a skeptic because of all the things that have happened in my life. I became a professional ghost hunter to see if I could prove ghosts exist but for some reason I was able to prove most of the things that happened were of normal nature. I am not scared of what is happening in my home, I do not feel any evil, it's kind of of fun waiting to see what will happen next. I know what you mean about the hats, the fedora is seen by a lot of people but the derby sounds more like Irish folklore. I was almost laughing when S described this being, It was hard for me to believe him too but he has no reason to make up a story and after 15 years with this man, I truly believe him. It's funny that I have ghost hunting equipment but I never hunted at my own home. Maybe the new Hunting team I have joined would consider a professional hunt in the future.
Tonith (1136 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-11)
I love when skeptics (and I can be one too) have an experience that they can't explain away. It takes someone with good investigation skills to tell the difference between something paranormal and something normal. If both of you are seeing these things then it can't be all illusion. I have heard of the tall thin man with the fedora but the small guy with the derby sounds almost like a leprechan type image. Hope you find out what they are and why they are haunting you.
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-11)
Yeah, I, too was a little skeptical at first because of those two entities. However, something about this recollection just rang true. I'm so tired today, though, my spidey-sense may be off...

Ugh, sleep, foul temptress, you, why do you elude me?
FRAWIN (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-11)
Hello MOTHERPANN. To be perectly honest with you when I first started reading this story I was beginning to get skeptical. Short man with a derby, then a tall man with a fedora - I was beginning to get visions of Mutt and Jeff (the old cartoon characters) but the further I read the more convinced I became that this is a TRUE STORY. Thank you for sharing it with us and I'm looking forward to more of your stories. Take Care and God Bless.

FRAWIN
6senses (6 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-11)
I have head of other people hearing bells before. I wonder if this really is a traveler! 😊
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-11)
...thank you so much. I get a little frustrated reading fiction on here day after day and I am so thankful for a veritable recounting of a haunting.

you can always tell the difference between a true story and a tale by the way in which they are written true stories are written like police reports or letters to a friend. False stories are written like short stories you're assigned to write in middle school composition class. This has all the markings of a true story because you are merely directly relating specific events and not trying to staple together an amazing story or whatnot. Plus, I liked your ennumerated points--things that stick out in your head, but you're not trying to seamlessly weave them into your writing to make it a more readable tale.

i would really like to hear more about this. Any chance you could post some photos of your place? Never know what might turn up...
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-11)
Wow, MOTHERPANN, you have a lot of activity going on there. Animals often have reactions to spirits and it seems like your dog is not very frightened, he even wants to play. I think that's an indicator that your spirits are gentle in nature, I think there is more than one. They seem to like your company well enough and they don't seem to be a bother to you, well not much. If you need them gone you could ask them to leave your home, just gently tell them that they are lost and shouldn't be there, they need to move on and that they will find peace and comfort where their loved ones are waiting.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-11)
It sounds as if there are w few different sorts of activity occuring in your home. I would venture to guess that the renovations brought this about, that can be the case. I realize you said that you had the house constructed in 1993 following the hurricane damage. That is enough of an up-heval on the property and/or in the home to cause activity.

As far as the traveler, I have heard of this sort of happening before. He may be there to assist the other being on to the next plane.

it sounds as if these 'wntities' mean no harm, and were just a shocked to see you and your husband as you are and were to see him 😁

God Bless!
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-11)
Hello MOTHERPANN
I have said it before, and can not refrain myself from saying it again. When skeptics get a "hit" they seem to be a bit more profound than those who have believed all along.
I think the reason your little guy ran through the wall was simply because he had no clue he was not alone, or that anyone could see him. The rest of it feels as if something is just trying to get your attention.
Renovations often times stir the ghosties up. They want to see what is going on and make sure no one is destroying what they think is their home. While freezing you in the hot tub may seem mean, I think it was to serve the purpose of showing you that (and possibly the ghost) you could receive and give communication through your dreams.
Thank you.
Teshiie (1 stories) (9 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-11)
WOW now truthfully that is quite strange I like learning more about the so called "paranomal" and will continue learning until I'm much, much older but that's a lot to happen for one house!
On night's I stay up on my own I always hear the doors rattling outside and it really scares me and anytime I'm in my room I always having a tendency of looking out my window thinking someone is there! 🤔

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: