You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: My Pet Feels a Presence

Real Ghost Stories

My Pet Feels a Presence

 

I had just finished eating dinner. This happened 2 days ago. I was petting my rabbit and suddenly he froze. His ears went cold (when he's scared that happens to him) and he just stood in a place for more than a minute. I tried petting him and settling him down, but nothing would seem to comfort him. There was a breeze, a cold one, and the curtains to the kitchen window blew a little bit apart. Now, no window was open, and there is no crack in any of them because the are insulated. My rabbit at this point had huddled to the corner of his cage.

I was really concerned because if rabbits are shocked badly enough, it can induce a very violent heart attack. I took his cage and put it in the living room, where there was a fire going in the fire place. I sat down to read. He seemed to settle a bit since he was near me. I pet him and calmed him and spoke gently.

When I took him out for a run, he wouldn't leave my lap. Every time I put him down from the couch, he'd jump up again and stay beside my legs or curl up on my chest. Eventually, he lay down in my lap and I stroked him.

This has happened more than once, and I was very concerned because rabbits are really sensitive. I'm a very verbal person, and I'm quick to react to threats to my animals. I said (if I may say so, really angrily)

"I don't know what the hell is your business in my house, but leave my pet alone, got it? I don't want him to be scared because of you!"

I stroked my rabbit and put him down in another attempt. And you know what? He ran around as if he had never been scared. I don't think whatever it is wants to hurt me, but it seems to enjoy scaring my pants off.

Any thoughts on this?

Other hauntings by NightMaiden

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Greece

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, NightMaiden, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Fenrispro (58 posts)
 
4 years ago (2020-03-20)
hmm I thought rabbits are naturally fearful by nature? Because they are prey and perceive almost everything as a threat. I've been bitten by some of my neighbours' rabbits >< I'm good with animals but they just got frightened of me
NightMaiden (6 stories) (21 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-18)
I agree with you, Ohiothawa--the thing that creeps me out is that there was nowhere from the wind to BLOW through... And it was really cold; the night was warm. Anyways, as you said, I might be exaggerating.

But, I tend to differ on your opinion about rabbits. My rabbit is pretty smart for an animal his size, and fear does make rabbits' ears go cold.

I don't remember why, but the vet told us, too, when we asked her about it.

Thanks for all the comments! 😁
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-19)
I wouldn't get too scared about something like this, friend. I don't think a gently moving drape is anything to which one should ascribe supernatural force.

I also don't think one can tell when a rabbit is scared by feeling its ears. There's no way that fear can make a mammals blood literally run cold. I guarantee that no amount of fright will drop a mammals blood temperature. Unless your rabbit was legitimately sick, then this could not happen. Because rabbits cannot talk and have very, very poor brains, I find it difficult to label any of his "abnormal" actions to the paranormal.

No offense, but I think you're reading into this a bit too much! 😁

But it's nice to have you on-board!
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-18)
Hi NightMaiden. I think you did the right thing, but I do agree that you might try a gentler tone. I've had rabbits and I know they are very sensitive and intuitive. Also very sensitive physically so that would be a concern to me too. I respect you wanting to keep your friend as safe as possible, I would too. You seem to have taken care of this problem but maybe your bunny is affected simply when the spirit is around. Explain to the spirit how it is scaring your rabbit by coming around it and ask it to keep its distance from your pet. The spirit has shown consideration when you've asked to be left alone in the past so it's possible he'll grant your request in this area. In your past stories and in this one you've said you don't really have a problem with the ghost being in your house, I think that's good, but you might have to ask him to leave altogether for the safety of your pet.
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-17)
Hi NightMaiden. I also am very protective of my pets. I am a mother though so I am protective of anything I love. I have never heard of a rabbit seeing or feeling a presence but who's to say that they can't. Obsiously he felt or saw something that scared him. I agree with rhodes68, that when you speak angrily at an entity sometimes it can backfire and come at you in anger itself. If anything like this ever happens again, hopefully it won't, politely ask it to leave as it is not welcome and is making you and your rabbit uncomfortable. That's what I have done and it usually is gone within a few seconds or so without problems.

SHELBY ❤ 😊
NightMaiden (6 stories) (21 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-17)
hmmm yes, my rabbit hasn't had any "frights" since then. I guess it got my point, whatever it was. 😜
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-16)
Hah,our pets, our best friends. I can relate to your anger when you feel your pet is in danger and,it's true, rabbits are quite vulnerable. As long as whatever was there left at your request, it meant no harm but be careful anyway. Sounding angry can sometimes provoke worse reactions than those initially intended.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: