You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Hunting :: The Story of Sleeping Sydney

Real Ghost Stories

The Story of Sleeping Sydney

 

A year ago we found out that in our house, in 1878, a 15 year old girl had been murdered. She was sleeping, and was stabbed in the back with a knife. Her name was Sydney Hyde. The Hydes never lived there again. Now, the spirit of Sydney haunts our house for over a year.

We moved in 2006 about Christmas time. After living in the house for about a month I couldn't sleep all night and I noticed that the lights in the hall were flickering, and of course I thought it was my little 7 year old daughter not sleeping in the middle of the night, so I went to check on her and when I walked out of my bedroom I saw she was sleeping in her bed and the lights were flickering off and on by themselves.

Afterwards my daughter told me that when she woke up one day to go to school and went into her changing room, the hangers with her clothes were sliding. I thought this had to be dealt with in some way so my husband and I sat in my little girl's room as she slept, and screaming was heard coming from everywhere. It woke my daughter and we all ran from it.

My husband and I called a ghost hunter that was closest to us in Glendale. He came the next morning and said he'd have to stay in my little girl's room that night so he could see what Sydney wants and how to maybe get rid of her. So he sat with us and discussed the matter closely and asked questions like, "Around what time did the screaming start?" or "Did you notice any particular smell or something that you really wanted at the time, like some ghosts make you want watermelon or to drink lemonade?" It all sounded queer as if I was some kind of a show contestant, but I still answered his questions and we found out that my daughter was the most sensitive to the ghost.

She told us that every time she is in the room alone she smells some type of perfume that she doesn't know the name of. I was amazed at this fact. The ghost hunter suggested that we should see if she can recognize the perfume. He took out his case that he was carrying and told her to sniff little samplers. She shook her head no to everything and the ghost hunter almost lost hope of finding the right perfume when she sniffed the second to last sampler and told him that was it. The perfume was an old French Chanel 5. It was mid 17th century. We took turns smelling the sampler and trying to remember the smell so that we could recognize it when the room begins to smell like it.

That same night we sat in my girl's room and listened, and there it was again that frightening screaming that almost deafened us. It was not that it was very loud, it was that it was so scary. We stayed in the room with the hunter this time so we could see what he was going to do. He leaned against the bed and almost yelled, "Are you Sidney Hyde?" The screaming ceased. It was quiet as the dead for the next few moments and then the pillows in the bed rocked silently. The hunter nodded to us. "You like Chanel 5 don't you?" he asked the ghost. The clothes hangers screeched against the metal bar they were hanging on. The hunter nodded to us again and the smell came into the room.

It became very cold all of a sudden and my daughter ran and hid behind me and I told the ghost hunter that we would continue this later when she gets to sleep a little. She had been awake for three nights and had no naps whatsoever so I would assume that she was tired. We went to my bedroom and I sat next to my daughter as she lay there on my bed. "Mommy, I can't sleep I'm thinking about... About her..." she told me. I insisted on her sleeping but she kept repeating that she was thinking of her, of Sydney.

I told the ghost hunter that we had to get out of the house and my husband called a hotel, Comfort Suites. We drove there and on our way there she finally fell asleep. She was that tired that it overpowered everything she was thinking of. We went to sleep as well and by morning we heard a fire truck or a siren of that sort. When we went back home we discovered that the house was charcoal black and that all of out belongings were burnt. The house itself was standing in perfect shape it was just that it was black. We were told that the oil pipes were leaking and that something made a spark and the house was on fire for split seconds before it turned black but luckily, no one was inside.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Glenda Bellentrux, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

77believer (1 stories) (34 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-17)
No offense, but how is it fake? It seemed real to me. (to xXClaireBearXx)
xXClaireBearXx (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-15)
Great story to read, but the fact that it's fake takes the fun out of it. All the same it was interesting. I hope next time though, you will write stories based on real life experiences.๐Ÿ˜
DemonSora (69 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-08)
Thats really scary... I'm lucky, I don't any thing haunting me but right now I'm scared! ๐Ÿ˜จ
haunted_childhood (34 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-03)
Hmmmm...Suddenly I want watermelon... ๐Ÿ˜• And Lemonade... It must be a ghost! ๐Ÿ˜ฒ
shandi (9 stories) (86 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-25)
I don't know about anybody else but having contact with a spirit has never made me have any food cravings. Why would a spirit make you want watermelon?
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-22)
Same here Martin. I doubt the "author" can provide information to validate the story but by keeping it there along with the comments,it'll serve a greater purpose as everybody else said and discourage a few others from insulting our intelligence.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-22)
Hi Martin. I didn't bother to comment on this one because everything had already been said. I did enjoy reading it, the author is a pretty good story teller. This site is for true encounters but I'm with FRAWIN, let's keep it.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-22)
To tell the truth, the reason this is the first post for me, is that I felt any comment from me before this would have been a bit too harsh towards the author of this short story. But I vote to keep it on the site, Martin.
This goes along with all of the questions that people have asked here recently on how we FEEL that a story is not true, and in the comments are valid reasons on why it is felt to be UNTRUE.
While I appreciate the thought that it may be a status symbol to have been able to "get one over" on a few believers, it has also proven that it is not all that simple. It may serve as a learning tool to all who appear to think we are a bit off and believing in all that accompanies the title of Unexplained experiences.
I WOULD welcome other attempts at posting other stories from this author, however. Provided they were TRUE experiences.

Thank you.
BriFischer05 (14 stories) (169 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-21)
Good camp fire story. Along the lines of bloody mary and candyman or other urban legends.
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-21)
Hello Martin! I vote to leave this story too. That way every one has a chance to read it and post a comment on what they think about it. ๐Ÿ˜Š

SHELBY โค
poproxgirl (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-21)
A very frightaning story. What ever happened next? I assume you don't live there anymore, so is your new house haunted?
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-21)
Well Martin, I don't see any harm it's doing and besides stories such as these help keep us on our toes. It also let's would be pranksters know that it isn't all that easy to "pull one over" on the believers. I vote to leave it.

FRAWIN ๐Ÿ˜Š
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-21)
I am puzzled with this story just don't make a lot of sense in many areas, that others has already posted, that I would asked. And no one comes back to answer any questions on this story!. Hmmm
Martin (602 posts) mod
 
16 years ago (2008-02-21)
So guys, would you prefer I delete the story as it is somewhat debunked and the author isn't even defending it, or leave it here?
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-21)
...o man, one more...

And if this girl, living in California in the 1870s loved a perfume that your ghost hunter claims is from the 17th century (1600s) then how was this perfume still around over 200 years later? Nevermind that it hadn't even been invented yet.

I mean, come on, friend, this is just too easy...

๐Ÿค”
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-21)
I don't do this very often, but I'm going to be quite blunt here: this is a site on which to share true encounters with unseen and mysterious forces. Fiction writing is neither of these and has no place on this board.

I would limn all the problems I have with your story, but everyone else already covered them--especially Mustang. Coco Chanel was a REAL French woman who lived in the early to mid 20th century. It is absolutely impossible that your "ghost hunter" would have a sample of this dating back to the 1600s. There wasn't even anybody IN California in the 1600s, let alone perfume-makers from the future.

Plus, you just gloss over very important facts like WHERE the screaming was coming from or what it sounded like or how it was initiated or ANYthing.

Also, you fail to note how you gleaned this very detailed information about Ms. Hyde being stabbed in the back. The act itself is pretty well detailed considering you tell us exactly where she was stabbed (and it just so happens to sound like a cliche --i.e. "stabbed in the back by a friend"), but neglect to provide any information as to why she was murdered.

...and a perfume-carrying ghost hunter? Pretty convenient to support your story, but totally ridiculous.

I really liked your story, but to pass it off as fact is almost insulting.

Hopefully we'll see you back on here soon with a veritable encounter. Thanks for sharing.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-20)
Hmmmm... Perfume salesman by day-ghost hunter by night. Heck if Jason and Grant can be plumbers why can't he sell perfume... Just a thought ๐Ÿ˜†.Excuse me folks while I take the batteries out of my skepto-meter,it's clicking so loud it makes my head hurt.

FRAWIN ๐Ÿค” ๐Ÿค”
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-20)
That's okay rhodes. You asked a lot of questions that I either wanted to ask but forgot or just neglected it all together because it wasn't even worth asking since I realize this story to more than likely be false. I guess I didn't feel the need for extra info when I am unconvinced anyway, especially after hearing this ghost hunter coming alone and carrying perfume samples. Thanks. I hope these questions are answered to give the benefit of the doubt. Some people don't know how to explain things very well and stories sound fake even though they may not be. This one though? I don't think I will change my mind. Too many holes and questions! ๐Ÿ˜Š
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-20)
Oups, I'm afraid I hadn't read the other comments. Sorry mustang for repeating some of your questions. ๐Ÿ˜Š
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-20)
Dear Glenda, I very rarely do this but I was wondering about a few things, if you care to clarify:
1) the murder was committed in 1878 as you said but how is the 17th century relevant to the story?
2)Do 7 year olds wake up and get dressed all by themselves to go to school? You are a lucky woman!
3)Why would you be so alarmed with a 7 year old's testimony about her sliding hangers unless you have a good reason? Was the previous event with the flickering lights indicative of paranormal activity without a doubt?
4)You said, you heard sreaming coming from everywhere but then you had to wake up your daughter? Is she a heavy sleeper? I'm not saying of course that she can't be but...
5)Ghost hunters usually work in teams when there's a need to examine the validity of the events alleged and don't just take our word for it. Evenmore, they don't "get rid" of the spirits, they "release them" or "help them cross over".
6)Chanel5 did not exist in the 17th century and why in goodness would a ghost hunter carry a bag of perfumes with him? Isn't the rest of the equipment heavy enough?
7)Why would a ghost make you crave for watermelon?! You didn't even suggest it was possession of any sort but then again I can't understand how that could have worked.
8)A ghost hunter would quite probably ask you to remove the child from the house while trying to communicate with a spirit as such experience can traumatize a child
9)Modern houses have electrical appliances so, when a fire breaks out, the house doen't simply look "black"!
I'm terribly sorry to have to sound so puzzled with your story but I would appreciate some response. Thank you
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-20)
Hi Glenda. You said in your story that the ghost hunter pulled out samples of perfume for your daughter to smell? Why on earth would a ghost hunter be carrying around perfume samples?! You also sayed that this girl Sydney was murdered in your house in 1878 but she wore 17th century perfume? Hmmmm... Possible but not plausible. Chanel No. 5 perfume, as far as I am aware, was not created until 1921. And it is also hard to choke down that you stayed in a hotel that night, heard sirens, and came home to your house being somewhat 'flash fried' so to speak but not really burned. Hmmmm... As my dear friend FRAWIN would say, "My red flags are popping up everywhere on this story'! ๐Ÿค” I'd really like Ohiowatha to read this one! ๐Ÿ˜† Can't wait to see what he has to say! Sorry if I sounded mean, I didn't mean to, it's just that I don't like fiction.
SHELBY ๐Ÿ˜Š
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-20)
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, it sounds like an urban legen, but... If I am wrong, I apologize. I have heard many tales of this nature, usually around a camp fire, or at a friends when I was a teen.

I suppose urban legends must start from some where, so...

Thanks for the chilling tale reagrdless!
God Bless!
Sabrina12993 (2 stories) (56 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-20)
It does sound a little movie-like.
I could also be wrong, cause we don't know your story, we can't criticize others if we were not there.
JPing (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-20)
Sorry, but I don't believe your story is true. Forgive me if I'm wrong but it sounds too much like something from a movie.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: