You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Shadow of my Old Cat

Real Ghost Stories

Shadow of my Old Cat

 

My family and I had a cat named Deliah for ten years. We've gotten really close to her, then she started growing these growths (they weren't cancerous so they can't really be called tumors) it was like one HUGE clump, or should I say a series of lumps. Deliah would always limp whenever she would walk, it was such a sad sight.

So one day (her last day) she had a vet's appointment, how I dreaded that day. I was too sad to go, because we all knew what was destined for Deliah. My parents just asked, "Is it time doc?" He said "Yes, oh yes, it's time..." That was it, Deliah was dead. BAM, for awhile I hated the vets, because they just KILL an animal like that, but I guess it's better that way...

Then a little over a month later, we adopted another cat named Dora. She was great, she would explore everywhere! Once morning, I had to wake up for school. I was eating breakfast, and I hate having the light on when I just woke up. I saw a black figure walk past my chair in the dark, it was a little figure of course, it was a cat.

I know it wasn't Dora (the new cat) because she had white, big, patchy spots on her back. Deliah's back was all black. And Dora was somewhere else in the house. I don't know it could've been my eyes...

But a year or so later, I was at my aunt and uncle's house for thanksgiving. Their dog died, months ago. I could've sworn I saw a dog like figure when I was there, but I'm not so sure so don't take my word on it. I've always wanted to see a ghost, so seeing a cat or dog's ghost is really cool. But I don't really know if I did, but I'm pretty sure that I did see Deliah...

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, pizzagirl543, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-14)
Hi April, I think it was your beloved cat coming back to say goodbye it knows you loved her and that you don't have to worry about her because she is happy and healthier, and that she knows even though you didn't want to do that to her, that she understands you weren't doing out of selfishness, ya'll done it so she wouldn't have to suffer anymore and that she really does love you and she will always be with you.
Glad to hear that you were able to get another cat, and Deliah was probably letting you know not to feel guilty, that she is glad to see you happy, but she knows she will always be in your hearts. 😊 ❤
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-25)
Hi April,
When I was in high school, way back in the dinosaur ages, (yes, the world was black and white back then) my best friends brother passed away very suddenly from a car accident on the way home from work. He had been working long hours, and it is thought that he simply fell asleep behind the wheel.
I spent the next week (give or take a few days) at their house, trying to be a comfort to my friend and talking through the things that she was feeling. I was grieving too, as I really liked him and imagined a long life in which he was involved.
On countless nights I would hear, from the top of the stairs, him calling out my last name in the same sing-song manner in which he would call me if I had received a phone call while in their home. I never went to look, I just seemed to know he was not there. It made the grieving so much harder to bear. I found myself wishing beyond hope that he would come down the stairs and ask why I did not answer him, and remember thinking "what a horrible, horrible dream. If I could just wake up"
Then it happened. On the day of his funeral I went up the stairs to take a shower and there he was in the living room, walking around the wall into the kitchen. The sad part of this all was that I KNEW I was just seeing things and that I had WISHED him to be there as I missed him so much.
Our minds can see things if we suggest it to them, and unfortunately, I think that may have been what happened here. But there IS a possibility that the cat that loved your family so much in life DID come back to say goodbye. His departure was such a quick one, that perhaps he thought to have just one more walk through the place.
Thank you.
kitten101 (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-24)
i had a black cat named deamon and she was black and I see her sadow. She died of luckemea a year ago when I see her she's laying down, "staring" at me. (I could go on for days about deamon:) ❤ 😊
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-21)
Whatever is really going on, I'm glad you've got a new cat that you like. That is good. And I love that you named her Dora and she's an exlorer--Dora the Explorer!

Thanks for the story, April. 😁
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-21)
Hi April. I understand what you mean. I to had the same feeling. I often saw something but I tried explaing it. I even tried explaing to myself that what I had seen is just my imaginatio. There are a lot of things you could explain. Even most of them. But do have an opened mind. If you are not sure what you had seen try thinging about it. Bring the memory back and somtimes you will know what you have seen. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
April12345 (3 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-20)
Thanks for the comments! I thought I wouldn't get this much! It's possible that it wasn't a ghost. It's not the strongest desire, but I don't have the best eye sight. I honestly think that Deliah liked my mom the best. She fed her, changed her litter box (Deliah was supposed to be my sister's cat). But... Deliah was on my bed everyday (when she was alive). I'll never know if I really saw a ghost, but it could've been... 😁
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-20)
Hello April. That is really sweet to have your beloved friend come back to see you and let you know she is ok. I think that rhodes68, KimSouthO and JPing ALL have GREAT suggestions of what could have happened. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us. ~SHELBY
😊 ❤
JPing (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-20)
Just to offer a different opinion outside of the supernatural: it is possible that your strong desire to both see a ghost and to have your pet back caused you to see what wasn't really there.

You say you are unsure on both accounts of what you saw. So would I be right in saying that both times you saw the animals out of the corner of your eye?

Our peripheral vision is not particularly sharp making it very, very easy to mistake what we see out of the corner of our eye for something else. A prime example is the wind blowing a curtain. We catch the movement in our peripheral vision and think someone's there.

Choose what you want to believe, it doesn't matter what really happened. If you choose to believe that you saw the ghosts of the animals then that is quite simply a beautiful thought. 😊
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-20)
I would agree with rhodes68 on this one. Often our desires or wants can open up path ways or open us up to being aware of things and occurances we are not commonly aware of, it acts to have us be more sensitive. You had the heart break and lonely ache for your beloved pet, this was felt and she appeared to let you know she was and is far better off than she was with the pain.

Thank you for sharing your story.
God Bless!
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-20)
Hi April and thank you for your story. I think you have me a little confused as to whether you've seen something or not but then again by saying you longed to see a ghost, it rings a bell to me. What I mean is that if your desire to "see" was that strong, it could have served as a "pathway" for whatever was out there to reach you. And what more beautiful than having one more glimpse of your beloved pet which came to ease your sorrow for her loss and show you that, in whatever form(whether that is matter or spirit), she will always be around you 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: