You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Shadows of the Elderly

Real Ghost Stories

Shadows of the Elderly

 

Well I've always had strange things happen, come to think of it, a lot of time in my life. I do not consider myself a ghost hunter and am under experience of seeking the paranormal, it seeks me. One of the more interesting periods is when I lived in a seniors/disabled community with my mother.

Apartment 106-107-

Location: Village Green Apartments, Decatur, IN. 1998-Current.

Now when I said I lived with my mom, I didn't live in the same apartment with her, I was a neighbor, able to live out there due to a heart condition from birth.

Firstly, a lot of people in this complex have died at home, sometimes they aren't found immediately. It is a sad thing.

The former resident of my mom's apartment, the one she currently lives in had a woman die in the home, and for a short while after my mom moved in there, doors had a habit of going shut, gently mind you. Nothing to get spooked over really, I just think the previous tenant wasn't quite ready to leave.

My apartment next door though, I fully believe is cursed. I knew to of the previous occupants. One a lonely and not completely sane elderly woman who had serious bouts of depression. She was moved to a nursing home where she passed away. By the way, her home was crowded, too much stuff, and was dirty. This is important later.

The next occupants were an elderly couple, who had a lot of things in this small apartment, including a piano. The home was not clean either, they too, were moved out and to a nursing home.

I then took possession of the home, my mother's health was failing and I wanted to be closer to her, to look after her. None of my furniture seemed to fit, I had trouble keeping the apartment clean to my liking, I suffered depression, suicidal thoughts, mood swings, nothing could go right. I wasn't there a year.

Then a man moved in next door, and the theme continued, depression, uncleanliness, unhappy with life. He moved after a turbulent year.

Now a woman battling cancer, her brother and his wife live there. The wife is reacting the worst to the apartment, there's fighting, depression, the wife's tried to commit suicide at least twice since living here, and they've only been there a few months.

Apartment 107-

Occurrences in my mom's apartment have not been limited to just the previous resident, there are what she calls "skitters" little shadows that wiggle across the floor, I've seen these upon going into a darkened room, they swarm across the floor and disappear. She thinks they are woodland animal spirits. Incidentally, She lives right by the forest there.

She had an experience in the middle of the night, calling me, terrified. Something woke her up, she felt a darkness in her room, she in her words say it felt like Satan himself stuck his head in her room. She prayed until it went away. But she was severely shaken by it. (she has had this happen before and considers it to be demonic spirits sent by someone, they are usually accompanied with an unexplainable sulfur odor that permeates the room, dispels only with prayer.)

At times you can see shadows moving outside in the dark, but there's no source, just a human-shaped shadow. One night that happened to me, I was sitting there, drinking coffee in the kitchen, we were talking at her table, when a shadow passed the window. This was at night, bright kitchen lights shining out, but it looked like someone walked in front of the windows, no one was out there. But the weirder part, as this happened, I felt a finger tip brush up my fore-arm, which had just been resting on the table nearest the window. I was freaked out by this, never been touched by a spirit before.

Another experience was in the middle of the day, springtime, bright beautiful sunlight, birds singing. My mother, son and I were heading out to take a walk, I glanced down the sidewalk to a neighbor's car, seeing a man in a brown tweed suit and a hat standing there, he looks right at me, smiles, tips his hat, I figured he was over visiting the neighbor man Fred or was out for a walk. Then he steps off the curb by the parked car into the parking lot, disappearing into thin air.

I could have wet my pants, I asked my mom, who was right beside me, if she saw the man, she said all she saw was a shadow by the car. I felt kind of hysterical after that. He didn't seem threatening, just a kindly old man. He looked real, he was solid, the light didn't pass through him... But he didn't have a shadow, well not on the ground. I know what I saw, but part of my mind wants to doubt what I saw that day too.

My mom swears she saw a white wolf out there in the middle of winter, I can remember going out to look for tracks in the snow, of course, I couldn't find any.

There's a huge doe that comes up in early morning, late evening. There's an oak tree that has some kind of nature spirits attached to it behind my mom's apartment. There are times of going outside, you look into the woods, it feels like something malevolent is watching you.

The woods are quiet when this takes place, it is a horrible feeling, insecure, afraid, and it doesn't want you anywhere near the woods. I challenged it one night, told it I wasn't going to be scared of it any more, and that it should stop. I haven't been bothered by it since, not directly, it seems to have retreated further into the woods, instead of just right there in the edge. It isn't always there, sometimes there's just this bright exuberance from the woods that makes you smile.

I got a frantic call from my mom in the evening, around 6:30pm or so wanting to know if I was alright, She heard a wolf howl. She swears it. It was found out later, at the time she heard the howl, a pair of men, different apartments, both passed away out there. One dropped over from a sudden heart-attack while showering, another was an hour later of natural causes. We were both shaken by that.

It is interesting, just the things that happen out there alone. But then you stop and think of all the emotions, and energy, and how many of those people have died at home, it's no wonder stuff happens.

I am interested to hear ideas and theories from the more experienced out there, any ideas what all this is? And why?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Indiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, JadedDragon, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

JadedDragon (1 stories) (19 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-10)
It is city water, practically smells like a swiming pool from the chemicals used to treat it. It isn't much safer then well water, in terms of drinking it. Beleive me, I've tried debunking all this stuff on my own too, the reason it's scary is because it can't be explained away by other causes, but I am curious why the phenominon of "demonic" activity follows my mother. It is odd, and she is oddly enough a fairly religious person, her faith in God is very strong even though she shuns churches. (can't blame her there though) Most the time, things like doors shutting themselves is as simple as the door isn't level any longer adn hangs crooked. Things like that, the sulfur incidents, I have no way to explain them. It is like a rotten egg or standing on a sewer grate in july, to the odor of a match freshly struck.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-10)
Hello again, JadedDragon,
Does this place of residence have well water, or is it city water?
The reason I ask is that sometimes the smell of the WATER can sometimes be that of sulfur. Hydrogen sulfide gas is easily detected with your nose. Most people describe the odor as a "rotten egg" smell, or one of sulfur. You can smell it in amounts so small that standard tests will not find it. Since it is a gas and it goes away quickly, it has be tested on site. This means you can not send a sample to a lab for testing.
This colorless, toxic and flammable gas, Hydrogen sulfide burns to give the gas sulfur dioxide, which is more familiar as the odor of a burnt match.
As it is TOXIC, it could cause mental and physical issues.
Just a thought there.
And for the record, it has already been addressed, but a WHITE wolf is a protector. In the spiritual world white is the meaning for peace and happiness. There is nothing to fear from the SPIRITUAL white wolf.
Thank you.
JadedDragon (1 stories) (19 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-10)
just want to say thanks to everybody who offered advice, ideas or just an encouraging word, I didn't expect a reaction to this, so thank you all very much, I would love the chance to talk with you again. Have a good night^^
JadedDragon (1 stories) (19 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-10)
[at] essiej,
(Jessie, right?)
I know, that is why I didn't stay out there long, that and the crackpot elderly lady on the other side of me, she beats on the walls and screams and crys, she's mental, sorry to speak ill of her, but she belongs in a facility, not a retirement community. Her money grubbing nephew won't do it because it cuts into the estate left behind by the woman's sister. "Annie" has been a mystery my mom and I have been unravelling since we heard her first "tantrum". She is a strange reclusive elderly woman, who doesn't talk to neighbors, is gracious to the point of flirting with the post man, rarely leaves the house, has fits of beating on the walls and screaming about evil and the devil, demons, ect. Pours water infront of her parking spot if anyone other then her nephew parks there. She lived there with her sister, until the sister passed away, it is said the poor woman was molested as a child, and back then they didn't believe in therapist like nowdays. She seems to me, to have mentally detiriorated due to most lack of human/other companionship. I think she is lonely, and that feuls her mental disorder. If confronted about her episodes, she denies them utterly. She is needless to say a strange duck, but she's also spent most her adult life out there with her elder sister. So, is it the person or the enviroment? Would I have went "round the bend" if I'd stayed out there?

As for the wolf, I don't think it was anything to be afraid of, but I have an affinity for wolves, hawks, mountain lions, a budding one for owls and bears as I get older. And suddenly dragons too, although they are largely considered fictional. I don't know what my mom saw, but it was something important in her life, or relevant to her somehow.
JadedDragon (1 stories) (19 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-10)
[at] Joie,
The Demonic incident was a couple years ago, so. She had those off and on, since 1998-99. Come to think of it, she lived in Phase 2 of Village Green apartments the first time it happened. Apartment #98, if I recall correctly.

Hmmm... I don't mention this often, because it seems when you talk about it, it gets stronger. At this time, I was going through a rocky period of "on again, off again" with my then boyfirend who had another woman chasing after him, we beleived she was a practioner of dark arts.

Around the time of the original demonic apperence, My elder sister and mom found a beheaded rabbit left in her yard, when I say beheaded, I mean cleanly beheaded. I looked at it just to satisfy curiousity, had an animal done it, there would have been tearing, had a mower done it, it would have left cuts on more then the neck, the neck was cleanly severed, and the head was left a few inches separate from the rabbit's body, but lined up perfectly. Funny thing, My mom associates rabbits with my ex.

I've only had a sulfur based experence once, and am gratful for that. It started with a dream of being strangled by my sister, when I woke up, I still felt like there was a pair of hands around my neck, and thumbs pressing into my throat, there was a horrible smell in the room the was overwhelming and my cat was no where to be found (the hairy coward J/K). I was very shaken by this. (Different apartment, I was 19 and it was my first home on my own. Pine Crossing, APT# 135, Decatur IN 46733, My ex-boyfriend was part of the construction crew and actually bled in the apartment ((Nailed his hand with a nail gun to the wall's support structure, Idiot.)) I was renting at that time. What are the odds?)
My mom uses the Lord's Prayer, I perfer Pslams 23 "The Lord is my shepherd..."

Any way to purify a wooded area with a large animal population, a series of ponds and an Elk's Lodge that never gets finished due to lack of money or materials or workers?
JadedDragon (1 stories) (19 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-10)
[at] Bellisima,

I've been a lot better since moving out of there. It is strange though, my family isn't known for sensitives, at least not that anyone is aware of or talks about.
And no offence to other tennets, but a lot of them are elderly, they grew up in a different time, when ghosts and spirits were something that was nonsence or ungodly to believe in.

I have smudged my former apartment, it seems to alviate it, but it "builds" and comes back, like fighting with an invasive weed in a garden, you hack at it, but it still comes back in awhile. I have smudged my mom's apartment also, it seems to do nothing but excite/activate her "skitters" but her home is fairly peaceful most the time. Except for the few demonic activiies.
JadedDragon (1 stories) (19 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-10)
[at] White Buffalo,
It was sorta like slithering, it reminded me of how nocturnal pests tend to flee and scatter with turning on a light. They are flat to the floor shadows, though some are more dense then others.

As for the Sulfur, it is genuine Sulfur, like the smell of striking a match multiplied by 100. It is an overwhelming smell, that sticks in your mouth and throat (I've been with her when a couple of these occurences took place) It is terrible, not being able to breath or smell past that odor. It is strange you ask about a decaying earth scent, I have smelt that once, but nothing negetive was going on, it was woody, earthy, almost comforting.

AS for the woods, it is 50/50, there is something out there that encourages fear. I do not doubt this one bit, but it is in a sense, a bully. Doesnt handle being confronted well. I made that mistake, although at the time I was talking aloud to myself to calm my nerves more then trying to challenge it, but it seems to have worked. The thing feels like it is no longer right at the edge of the woods glowering at you. It is distant and less pronounced then it used to be. The feeling of being watched and hated happened during the day or night, and the woods were quiet during these times.

She swears to this day it was a White wolf, she looked at it, didn't look away from it, it came down between the apartment building and the woods and slipped into the woods, it was also the middle of winter, when she told me about it, I went out to check for tracks in the morning, there weren't any. I don't recall the details, she may have looked it in the eye, it was over 5 years ago, I'd have to ask her about it to be certain. She did say it was a large white wolf, not a dog, a wolf. She was insistant on that.
And yes, there are a lot of pet owners out there. Most animals that I've seen are fairly came, with bouts of barking at things that aren't there, ot heack maybe mice in the yards. It is hard to say.

Hmmm...That is very thought provoking about the animals, It seems like they are most there, but occasionally the woods are viod.

Thank you for your insights.
JadedDragon (1 stories) (19 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-10)
[at] Ohiowatha,
The tree in question is situated behind my mom's apartment, a gorgeous oak, that was never tended properly and fell into disrepare until I trimmed it up while a resident there. I and my mom loved that tree, I even took to putting a coin under it once, no idea why. Anyways, I sometimes take our (my son and I) dog out to mom's apartment, she [Bella] loves that tree, Bella is roughly a year old, rescue dog, chow/G.shepherd mix, black, spotted tongue
Adorable personality, she just loves this tree and whatever resides in/on it.

She has a habit of treeing something, I never see it, but she trees it, or stands at the base of this tree whining and yipping like she's after a
squirel, But when it is in the middle of winter, looking at a bared oak tree, you can see there's no animals in it, so one has to wonder, either that or she's mental, which I don't believe either. Also about this tree, in the spring/summer last year, it produced a huge "fairy ring" (ring of mushrooms or toadstools that form a perfect circle) that encompassed the entire reach of the tree's branches. I don't know much about fairy rings other then the deffinition (how do they happen? Why perfect circle, and how do they appear/disappear overnight?), but I've seen at least 3 in my life. This tree also has weird orange mushrooms growing under it. I kid you not, they were autum leaf orange, that tree never had spores or fungi growing under it until last year.

Also, while living out there, I managed to have a strange orchid like plant come up in my garden that really attracted the bees and ants. Also had a preying mantis live in my flowerbed until Nov. While there, it usually hung out on my screen door, one night I went home to it on the door handle, accidently touched it. It didn't react badly, it was a weird experience too. Not sure it was a true preying mantis. Also not sure what else it could be.
JadedDragon (1 stories) (19 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-10)
[at] Kim South,
thank you very much, I will do that. It is a sad thing to really stop and consider just how many have died, alone, afraid, isolated, depressed, unhappy, in pain, phsycally or otherwise. I am still trying to understand the old man I saw though. It still gives me goosepimples to think of it. Lol, not that he was scary or frightening, it is just, I'd never seen a full body aperation before then, it was very neat, and definatly thrilling in an odd sort of way, and I still have trouble beleiving what I saw. I can almost convince myself I dreampt it, except it wasn't just me, but my mom didn't actually see the man. ^^
JadedDragon (1 stories) (19 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-10)
[at] Flutterofwings

Thanks, I have other misadventures I'd like to put up here it I ever get the time to put them all down.
JadedDragon (1 stories) (19 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-10)
[at] Kec,
It is entirely possible, all the emotional, phsycally and psychological output created a myasma of suffering in the complex, but it seems rather concertrated in my former apartment.

Yes there is a restaurant fairly close, as well as a shopping plaza, the plaza is quieter since the super Wal-mart went up though. However, the industrial park is over across the hi-way a good 3-4 miles out.

I don't think those could affect from that distance, being in the coutry, across the hi-way, but it is a great suggestion. A good explaination, if it where applicable. As for the weird shadows, they never have a proper sorce, they are just there, like something is blocking the light to cast the shadow, but only the shadow is visable.

Thank you very much for your comment and suggestions. I am honestly surprised anyone noticed this. So again, Thank you.
essiej (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-29)
If I remember right, a white wolf is a pure animal and is one that helps people to move from one plane to another. He is also a watcher. If you hear him that means that someone was called by him to follow. I don't know about the other stuff. Mom works in a retirement community and says strange stuff happens alot. Some of it is scary. I don't think I could live or work in a place like that.
Joie (1 stories) (39 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-26)
Firstly, the smell of sulfur is a frightening sign of, yes, the demonic. Especially since it is sent away by prayer. Keep with the Lord and you shall be saved.

Secondly, you are absolutely correct! With so many people passing it isn't surprising that you and others have experienced spirit activity. Most of that could be cured by letting them know that they should move on and are no longer wanted there. There's a better place waiting for them.

On the subject of the woods... That is a tough one. You never know what could have happened out there. Murder, suicide, someone getting lost and dying... Anything. Could just be old ground with a rough past. You would be surprised all the area that the Indians covered in the past. Check your local library for historical information. I.E. Old buildings, Indian burial grounds, anything that could explain the issue.

One more thing- also check the ground. Certain sediment can hold energy and spirits to a place. Quartz, limestone, and other rock can hold things there. Good luck on your search and God bless!
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-25)
JadedDragon. There would be a lot of emotional energy in a place like that. Your unit sounds like it has some very negative feelings trapped in it. It was even affecting you and I'm assuming those dark depressed feelings are not bothering you now, like they were when you were there. With your sensitivities, it's no wonder you saw and experienced so much there. I think your mom must be sensitive as well. To me this would be why other tenants weren't aware of any outside influences. (Or not that you have mentioned, I suppose it isn't something that comes up in everyday conversation.) I wonder what the history of the land itself is. It seems the whole area has a dark feel to it. The land might be the source of all this negative energy which carries over to the tenants, who are influenced due to their age and health problems anyway. Does you mom still live there? If so, if it's possible and reasonable, get together with her and bring in as many family and friends, even other tenants if they're willing, who have belief that something unusual is occurring and will be supportive. Do a cleansing of the community and the land around. There are directions for a smudging ceremony on this site that a lot of people have had fairly good success with. Use whatever methods your religion recommends and you really believe in. If you or your group of helpers don't believe, I don't think you will be successful.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-25)
JadedDragon,
Your skitters, is there any other way to describe how they move across the floor other than that they "wiggle"? What I mean is, do they seem to rise up a bit as they begin to move as a lizard would, or do they slither, like a snake does?
Is the sulfur odor that your Mother sometimes smells, overwhelmingly the smell of sulfur, or could it be more of a decaying, earthen scent?
The feeling of malevolence that you sometimes feel looking out into the woods, is it truly bad, or could it possibly be fear at the thought of seeing something that might frighten you more?
When your Mother swore that she saw a white wolf out on the edge of the woods, COULD she have looked into it's eyes, or did she merely look at it, take in that it WAS a wolf, and look away? Was it unusually large, or unusually small?
Did anyone in the community have ANY type of pet? How did the pet react when out of their quarters, or within?

If the wood were truly evil, the large doe would not have been standing next to the tree. Animals are highly responding to impending danger, or discord in the universe (earthquakes, other natural disasters). There would not have been ANY type of live animal there, they would have been heading off to places unknown. Not even an ant would have stayed behind.
If anyone has any type of pet within the community, and they are acting as if their feet are on fire, their ears are being infested, or they refuse to eat for long periods of time, then I would worry about the woods.
This is all I have right now. I will just have to wait.
Thank you.
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-25)
Very interesting story, JDragon. I would like to hear more about this. I'm very interested in "elemental spirits" and the woods. The life-force in a forest must be pretty incredible and I'm wondering if all the verdant life might have something to do with the spiritual community nurtured by it.

Could the howl actually have just been a coyote? Not questioning any of your story, just this little bit.

THanks so much for sharing.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-25)
I tend to think that apartment complexes as the one you describe can not help but be overly active. There is so much occuring in one area at one time.

It does sound to me, by reading your story, that not all that happens is 'dark'. For instance, the wolf holw, he was guided there to take the men who passed across, so they would not be alone.

Keep praying as you said you have been. Keep positive and remember that you can create your own out look and destiny through who and what you are and what you stand for.

Say prayers for all who have gone on in the building... Those that have passed and those who are still hanging on for whatever reason.

Thank you for sharing your story with us!
God Bless!
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-24)
Apartments like that, are as my mom said "Just places to live until you die". These people are lonely, depressed, and like one said on so many kind of medications, some may accidental over dose, forgetting they took the meds in the first place.
No wonder the spirits of many who have died are lingering around the place. Many were abanded by children to leave to die. And the forest, who knows maybe some of the elderly wondered out there and got lost and died.
A good story I read it twice, very well written. Will go on my favorite list.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-24)
kec,
I must agree with you. Depression among the elderly is rampant. They need to be on medication. They are on so many medications its not a wonder some get delusional. Old age itself is the culprit.
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-24)
JadedDragon, thank you for sharing your experiences. I read your story with great interest because I have spent a lot of time in Decatur. Until recently my brother lived there. I am wondering if some of your experiences can be explained by the environment in which you live. Many of things you described in the apartments--depression, suicidal inclinations, disorder, dispair are common characteristics of those suffering from chronic pain. Could the large number of elderly--many of whom are struggling with painful ailments, debilitating illnesses, and depression--create a dark, emotional funk that pervades your building? As your title suggests, maybe their emotional shadow is darkening your environment and well-being.

Also, I think I may have been to the Village Green Apartments once while my brother was running an errand. As I recall it is near US 27 which is rather congested with restaurants, shops, and an industrial park. Is it possible that some of the lights, shadows, and sounds you describe could be the result of trucks and forklifts in the industrial park?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: