You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Psychic / Medium :: The Denbigh

Real Ghost Stories

The Denbigh

 

First of all I've had several experiences with talking boards as well. I've had two UFO encounters in my life. I can communicate with the spirit world - that's a gift I have. I've had at least two homes that had ghosts. But this story is different. This is the first time I have physically seen ghosts. I've waiting years to actually see ghostly apparitions. I have always believed in them.

I went camping in Port Bolivar Texas at the bird sanctuary during Mardi Gras at Galveston. I wasn't interested in the Mardi Gras crowds so I convinced my boyfriend to take the ferry to Port Bolivar for a romantic evening on the beach. As things started heating up we decided to take a sleeping bag and some pillows to the bird observation deck to camp on the deck. It was Feb. 2 and 3 2008 around midnight. As soon as I stepped up on the deck a big white owl flew right by my head. Then the whole beach just started coming alive with activity. I seen a ship run around that had been burned and there were people scuffling off and on the ship - taking all the ships contents off the ship. The men were all in uniform. The ladies were in Victorian style clothes and bonnets and hooded capes. I seen everything in color. A confederate officer walked right up to me, he was bald holding his hat with a white beard. Most of the faces were just shadows. The reason I say confederate officer is because when I got home I did extensive research on the area and what I saw was The Denbigh, a civil war blockade runner. It ran aground and was sunk right there where we camped.

The images were coming so fast it was overwhelming - truly awesome. The images lasted all night until dawn. I'll never forget it. It was incredible. Needless to say my boyfriend didn't get any that night.

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, belendajones, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

succubiluv (1 stories) (365 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-30)
I'd want to hear your earlier spirit contact stories in particular, those from your early life.
You really had POSITIVE Ouija board results?

For the sake of clarity the reading in my last post should be "I really appreciate..."
succubiluv (1 stories) (365 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-30)
belindajones;
I really apprecite the job you've done in answering the comments on your story.
You didn't hush, weep, or back down.
You hung right in there.
I like that.

Details may be lost or overlooked in any story, yet the story may be 100% true and in complete harmony with what the individual actually experienced as a whole.

What about those other paranormal experiences you mention in your bio?
Will you come back and share?
Potenza009 (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-07)
First off, I want to state with full conviction the following: That I am open minded on the subject at hand, That I am more than willing to listen with the understanding that supernatural experiances aren't always able to be confirmed or measured, and that I have read several very interesting- as well as thought provoking pieces on this site. That having been said, I joined this site for the express intent of commenting on this story alone.
To the well intentioned and open-minded posters herein: Why do you allow your good-faith and openess to be made such a mockery of? Are you so open as to let articles like this be seriously discussed, or is it a fear of sounding close-minded? Either way if no one else will say it, I will. Bull-Crap.
No that I've got that out of the way, I mean no disrespect to anyone's beliefs or ideas- but this story holds together about as well as a Ben Aflec screen play.(Or if you would rather: It has more holes in it than the dear old Denbigh herself does at present)
I'm willing to believe that something could have happened, but the gross oversimplification of the story itself proves that it wasn't written the spirit of relaying anything... Except perhaps a bad acid trip.
Once again, no ill-will intended on my part- I simply don't believe this story.
belendajones (1 stories) (29 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-06)
Actually I like the comments. The more questions asked the more I start remembering about the details. I am an Artist and I welcome critizism. It just makes you better. I'm not intending to come across defensive but that is in my nature. So many images to put into sequence. As the questions come in I can sort them out better. Thanks.
belendajones (1 stories) (29 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-06)
For those who want to see the old map where it ran aground here's the sight:
http://nautarch.tamu.edu/projects/denbigh/HISTORY3.HTM
The top of the page will read Denbigh, Archaeology of a civil war blockade runner -The "Bold Rascal". Scroll down to the map, that's where I was camped on Bolivar. Of course Bird Key Island is not there anymore although it's very shallow still there where the Island was. There's a bird sanctuary right there where we camp.
belendajones (1 stories) (29 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-06)
The evening started out to be a romantic one but wasn't, and it turned into an amazing trip. I don't know what else is missing from this story. If I can answer any more questions I'd be glad to. But the ship is not 3 miles off Bolivar Penisula - Galveston yes - Bolivar no. I camp there all the time. It was as if a portal opened for me. There was many images from different time periods but the main ship I saw was The Denbigh it's the only one that fits the first ship I seen. You can actually wade almost a mile out from shore and it's only knee deep to waiste high and when you get way out there it's ankle high. And everybody saying it would have to be a long plank - no it would not considering the depth of the water and the sand bars out there. I pulled all the history on Bolivar Penisula I could find. A lot of the images make sense now some still don't. The uniforms fit - everything I've researched fits the images that I witnessed about Denbigh. And the beach was full of soldiers. And the two beers we had we had just opened and had not even drank a drop before the images started so no it wasn't alcohol induced. We just got there and started setting up camp. We packed it all back up and SAT in the pathfinder. I was descibing to my boyfriend the images as they were coming. He was quite shocked after I came home and started researching. He definately believes me now. Those of you who have not been to Bolivar can't sit here and tell me it's 3 miles from shore I know better. I've seen it sticking out of the water without realizing what I was seeing. Pick the story apart if you will but if you do not know the facts and haven't been there you are just relaying information you read. Yes it is 3 miles off GALVESTON not Bolivar. Get your facts right. And for those who thinks this was just about me and my boyfriend trying to be romantic - that's not what this story is about either because that never happened either. But after reading and studying the Denbigh and the timeline in which in ran aground and was fired upon and burned and sank and it all ended at 7 a.m. The timeframe fits. It started around 12 - 1 a.m. And ended at daylight. Everything fits. This ship I'm sure of. The second one I'm not sure of. That's why I didn't elaborate on that one. I am going back now that I know what I'm seeing. This time I won't be so afraid. It just caught me off guard that night. I wasn't ready for it - wasn't expecting it. I always felt something there. I've always had a conection with spirits but never like this before. That is why I shared my story here.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-06)
My dearest Belenda,
Call me a glutton for punishment, but against my better judgement I am back to this page. The reason I am here is to explain something to you, and I have severe doubts that my comment will be read in the same tone in which I am writing it, but I feel I need to point some things out to you that may have been overlooked.
First none of us were there with you. We DO not know what you saw, felt or simply experienced. When this story was first posted, we had no "open communication" with you, so kind of "felt out" the story to begin with.
The first comments to come to the page, (with questions) were in asking you to look into the possibility that it may have been a separate ship, and not the one commissioned under the name of The Denbigh. Thus the adding of the information (from another source) about the Denigh, to show that there must have been a different possibility.
This is what this site is for. Most of us help those, who are requesting it, to look at all of the aspects of the experience, and to rule out anything that is not easy to explain in "normal" living circumstances.
We also go further than that, and offer suggestions of what to research to help the investigation along. (i.e. Looking into the possibility that the ship you positively identified could have been a ship by another name, but the same TYPE of ship, thus looking EXACTLY the same)
Your response to something as simple as to your reaction to seeing such things was met with such defense, that it CAUSED people to look at the story a bit closer. Most of us who have lived through some of these types of experiences know how WE would have responded. We know what is normal FOR US.
If you were to step outside of this story, to pretend you did not write it, pretend as if you were not there and did not experience this, and read through it as if seeing it for the first time, the reaction that you would probably get (if you were honestly trying to see what it is that we are talking about) was that the author was quite nonchalant about the whole night. And even thought it important to add something in the ending as to the lack of activity that the boyfriend had.
There is no sense of awe in the words written, there is no evidence that this was a disturbing sight, there is nothing but a few words in black pointing to something that is half, to two thirds hidden there in the sand at the beach.
In order to sort through the WORDS written, some of us ask questions that relate to how you FELT during the situation. Feelings are very valid forms of evidence in any investigation. From what I know of the people who have posted such questions, they were trying to get the WHOLE PICTURE, all together and in one place.
NO ONE is judging YOU. We were simply QUESTIONING you. In the section right before you hit the submit button you had a choice of responses to make. You picked the one that says "I will read the comments and participate in the discussion..." Which means, answer questions. That is what a discussion is. You did not say you wanted to debate the validity of the story, but that is the stand you took with your first comments. You chose to view the comments as an argument, and took it from there.
Most of us here have the same thoughts on this: who are we to judge? Question, yes, to get all of the facts. But we can not judge, lest we also be found lacking. Take a look around, there are a lot of stories on here that have been questioned down to the last detail, yours is NOT the first, nor will it be the last.
Being a psychic let's people see many more sides to a story than what those without psychic powers perceive.
Please forgive US the opportunity to communicate with one with such astounding powers as you appeared to have. Many of us do not get the opportunity to have a conversation with anyone that has the ability to see things like this, and thought to learn as much as possible about the occurrence. Please do not judge US thinking that we ask questions in the comments sections as little more than a jury box.
Thank you.
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-05)
[at] Belenda I would like to at least congraulate you for coming back and answering the many questions on your story. Many people will write stories, here and then never come back to defend them or their story. So glad to see you are.
For us to comment on here, just seems hard with some stories then with others.
I wasn't there when this happen, I don't know. But just seems as if something to me is missing in the story, that I just can't quite put my finger on.
Just the same it's a nice story and well written too.
belendajones (1 stories) (29 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-05)
You people amuse me, truely. You ask questions I answer and you judge. Go see it yourselves.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-05)
Just in case you are sitting there wondering, it never WAS solely about WHERE you were, but in your reaction to the question itself.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-05)
I honestly have learned more by sitting here and waiting for your comments than I did in reading the story. Thank you for allowing me to see that side of you.
Thank you for pointing out that you were in BOTH places, and that all of the words written were of your hand, and out of your head.
Thank you for proving, by your typed words, and by your choice of words, what it was that I was thinking.
You are right, there are many who have seen some very miraculous things, and are here on this site to work through them. Some to find out what the meaning of it all is, some just to finally let a weight off their shoulders.
Thank you, for lending the proof that was there all along.
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-05)
I read all the comments, went to the site for the Denbigh. This is what I came up with.
I agree with the person that it would of, had to be a big long plank to reach from the Denibigh to land.
It's this first that I have known about, that ghost last for such a long time 1am to day light?
I believe why people commenting on here may think this is not true is, the fact you said you were drinking beer. If you would not of stated that fact, maybe there would not be so many comments to this story of trying to get everything in order.
I am NOT saying this is not true. I am just perplexed on the facts to be able to actually think it could be true.
I do believe you seen something, but what that something was well, I just don't know.
belendajones (1 stories) (29 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-05)
I'm not trying to change anything or tell tales. The images started around midnight - 1 a.m. And lasted until sun up. There was a lot to take in. I lasted maybe one hour on the observation deck before I went back to the car. And yes they did walk up as if looking in. I seriously didn't know what it was I was witnessing at that time. These images were visual. I finally got out of the car to see the second ship which scared the crap out of me - I hit the ground - was the last time I looked toward the sea. I went back in the car and locked myself in again. Then the sun came up and we left. I thought everybody wanted to hear the story and not me scared jumping in and out of my car. You know the windows are clear and you can see through them. I was afraid because of the murders there. And the only thing we had to drink was 2 beers. I've never seen anything drinking beer before. And I sure didn't want to drink more after the images started. That's how scared I was. Like I said before check it out. I'm not the only person that will see these things I'm sure. But you know what - I don't care if you think I'm sincere or not. I just wanted to share this with those who are interested. Go see it for yourselves.
Belenda
belendajones (1 stories) (29 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-05)
There's a lot of civil war hauntings across the nation - I think this is a hot spot that needs to be looked at. I'm sure I'm not the only one that will witness these events there. Check it out - anybody.
Belenda
belendajones (1 stories) (29 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-05)
After the first images I got really scared and ran back to the pathfinder and locked myself in and watched as the whole evening unfolded. Minor detail considering all I did see that night. And no I wasn't even concerned about who was with me at that moment. I did talk aloud and tell him everything I was seeing at the time. Even he has reminded me of details I forgot as I was researching. Considering the overwhelming influx of things happening - details are coming back slowly. I'm not perfect but I did see this. Like I said I'm still not sure of everything I saw yet. I'm just relaying what happened. You don't have to believe. There has been several murders there and yes it scared the hell out of me. I did go back and lock myself in the car until it was over. Whether I was in the car or not doesn't mean I didn't see this. The only thing I could do is research to find some kind of answers to what I was seeing. I didn't know it was about being in the car or not. I just was relaying images I saw. Needless to say it scared me to death. Yes I did lock myself in the car. That way if they were real they'd have to break in.
Belenda
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-05)
OOOk, now that THOSE questions received answers...
Let me first state that the only things that I know about the Denbigh is what is in the comment section of this story. I have researched it, in your absence from this site, but the questions I have are not related to it's history. Mine are in the discrepancies of the two forms of the story itself. I will ignore all other comments up to this point, and will begin with ONLY your words through your e-mail to your daughter, and the ones you have in this story.

In the story on this page: "... We decided to take a sleeping bag and some pillows to the bird observation deck to camp on the deck... Then the whole beach just started coming alive with activity..."
In the e-mail to your daughter: "...They would walk up to the pathfinder and look in the windows"
Were you in the pathfinder, or were you on the bird observation deck?
From the story on this page: "...the faces were just shadows..."
From the e-mail to your daughter: "I did see a few of faces..."
From the story on this page: "There were people scuffling off and on the ship... The ladies were in Victorian style clothes and bonnets and hooded capes..."
From the e-mail to your daughter: "What I saw was the beach was crouded with women and children with the big dresses and the hooded capes..."
From the story on this page: "A confederate officer walked right up to me, he was bald holding his hat with a white beard..."
From the e-mail to your daughter: " I saw the captain..."

Were these both in your own words? Were BOTH of these accounts written by your hand, off of the memory of the night of the Mardi Gras?
For something this tremendous to have happened to me, I would be HARD PRESSED to add, or delete anything from such a awe inspiring experience. I would have been paying attention to EVERY detail. I would have been GLUED to the spot, with NO thoughts to the man at my side. I would have been searching my MIND for what I had eaten or had to drink, to see if it could have created a type of illusion. I do not think I would have a hard time telling the story twice, and coming up with something as simple as WHERE I WAS AT THE TIME OF THE ENCOUNTER.
So, I ask again. Deck or Pathfinder?
Thank you.
belendajones (1 stories) (29 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-05)
For anyone who is interested - all I have to say is check it out. There's a lot of activity there.
Belenda
belendajones (1 stories) (29 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-05)
This was the first time I saw visual entities. That's why I shared my experience. For those who are interested. I don't claim to be accurate on all accounts, but it was amazing. Check it out - it was cool.
Belenda
belendajones (1 stories) (29 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-05)
If I didn't really believe it was the Denbigh after all my research I would not have published here on your website.
Belenda
belendajones (1 stories) (29 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-05)
For anyone else interested, I've never even heard of a civil war blockade runner before. Until I researched the area. Several ships washed ashore there. The Denbigh is the only ship that fits the images. Clothing and the chain of events.
Belenda
belendajones (1 stories) (29 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-05)
My boyfriend and me had nothing to do with the images. That was uncalled for.
Belenda
belendajones (1 stories) (29 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-05)
Your going to refrain from further comment - why? Didn't you ask me for my response? I'm giving more detail per everyones request. I really don't care what others think. I just shared this for those who'd like to check it out for themselves. I don't claim to be accuate about the dates. And I sure didn't claim all images were of the Denbigh. I never was a history guru. I just know what I saw. And I'm relaying those images. I see and feel things most people don't. Don't claim to understand all of it. Didn't have to respond either. And I'm done.
Belenda
belendajones (1 stories) (29 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-05)
It's kind of hard to explain things you don't know yet and haven't studied yet. I tried to relay a short version of events. The details are what I'm sifting through now.
Belenda
belendajones (1 stories) (29 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-05)
I'm still figuring a lot of it out for myself. As the images fall in place with the reasearch.
Belenda
belendajones (1 stories) (29 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-05)
didn't mean to publish the last comment twice. Not only that - the great storm of 1900 as well killed thousands. I'm sure some of the images were from that era as well.
Belenda
belendajones (1 stories) (29 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-05)
The woman and child I saw were actually from around 1821 - not from the civil war era. She had another daughter who was the first anglo saxon born on Texas soil. Her husband General James Long left for Goliad to fight to free Mexico from Spain. Her name was Jane. She waited 8 months for him to return he never did. He left her at the fort. The few soldiers at the fort abandoned it leaving her and her child behind to fin for themselves that's when she gave birth to a second daughter. The first anglo saxon born here in Texas. I had to do more research on her and the child. But I did see them sitting on a log near the edge of the beach looking out to sea. That's another date I confused with other occurances. I stand corrected.
Belenda
belendajones (1 stories) (29 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-05)
The woman and child I saw were actually from around 1821 - not from the civil war era. She had another daughter who was the first anglo saxon born on Texas soil. Her husband General James Long left for Goliad to fight to free Mexico from Spain. Her name was Jane. She waited 8 months for him to return he never did. He left her at the fort. The few soldiers at the fort abandoned it leaving her and her child behind to fin for themselves that's when she gave birth to a second daughter. The first anglo saxon born here in Texas. I had to do more research on her and the child. But I did see them sitting on a log near the edge of the beach looking out to sea. That's another date I confused with other occurances. I stand corrected.
Belenda
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-05)
Belendajones, if the event you encountered was so complex and dynamic, why would you only compose a three paragraph story that--according to your recent postings--is grossly oversimplified? How can the members of this forum share their thoughts, experiences, and support with you if critical sequences and facts are withheld? If you were truly pressed to decide which details to include then WHY would you exclude so much and instead decide to include details about your love life?

At this point I will refrain from making any further comments on this tale as it seems to be a case of diminishing returns and facts that shift as frequently as sand bars.
belendajones (1 stories) (29 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-05)
One image I will not forget is I was standing on the observation deck and a big man in uniform walked up the steps and stopped at the top right in front of me. He as holding his hat in his hand and reached out with the other. He was bald with a white beard. He had the long trench coat - conferderate officers hat like a cowboy hat. And behind him was a woman in a red long victorian style coat. I haven't figured out who he or she is yet. But he was in an officers uniform. And there were women on the beach not the ship. Only men on or around the ship. Sorting through all the images is interesting. A lot of the history fits. Not all are from the Denbigh. Some are from different occurances at that location from different time periods. It was like a portal opened. And the fact there were no distractions that evening helped bring them through better.
belendajones (1 stories) (29 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-05)
There were three images of the Denbigh I seen that night. The first one it was on a sanbar run aground leaning to one side. No activity on or around the ship. Then it vanished. The second was - it was burned and the beach was alive - people scuffling around in a hurry. And I did see a plank not to dry land as you say but on a sand bar they were wading through shallow waters. The third image was when the tide came in it was in the water. The forth image of a ship was a different ship. Some of the images I can't explain yet. I seen small boats around the beach area. Full of people at the dry the land area with contents from the ship bringing it ashore. So many images and to relay these images I shortened it as much as possible. As I continue to understand them I will let you know. But I am certain The Denbigh was the main images coming through.
Belenda

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: