You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Photographs / Videos / EVP :: A Large Glowing Orb

Real Ghost Stories

A Large Glowing Orb

 

This is a photo I took, using a disposable camera. I was visiting the "Old Waverly" cemetery, here in Texas; photographing graves for a cemetery photo book, that I was working on. As you can see, where the picture was aimed, it's not really focusing on any particular grave. When I had finished taking pictures with my digital camera, I took out the disposable camera to shoot some pictures, to send to a friend.

Well, as I walked around, looking at what to photograph next, something just compelled me to stop between these trees, and take a picture. It was a weird feeling/experience to come over me.

A Large Glowing Orb When I got the film developed, I was surprised to see this large glowing orb. To me, it looks like a comet jetting through. I've posted this picture on another paranormal site, and took a lot of "abuse" over it being a strand of hair or dirt.

Well, I have extremely long hair (knee-length) and when I am photographing something, I make sure to pull my hair back, to prevent any strays from getting in the pictures, as I had done that day, since after all, my digital pictures where being used in a book, so they had to be clear and professional in quality. One person commented to me, that it's a blond hair in the picture; my hair is dyed burgundy, not blond.

Also, if you notice on the "tail" of the orb, you can see through it, now if it was a hair, I would think a hair would be solid, you wouldn't see the tree limbs through it. And lastly, it was a cloudy day, raining on and off (but it was not raining anytime during the photos I was taking); the sun wasn't out, so I have ruled out, that it is not a sun spot.

I just found it interesting, and was thrilled to see it appear, (since I was strangely compelled to take a photo at that moment in time). Perhaps it was a spirit following me around the cemetery?

~Michelle~

Email : atouchofdeath [at] gmail.com

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, atouchofdeath, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

vanlewie232711 (1 stories) (42 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-09)
hair would be see through at the top not bottom I just did an picture of my hair in my gave and it was see through at the top the bottom was dark. I even teased my hair into some wild fashion and this did not happen. Is it a spirit? I have no idea but I do not think its hair. Nice picture of the graves id like to know where this is at. Very cool
smileydelwen (16 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-22)
Hey, have you tried going back to the same place. If it happens again, then it could be a orb. I suggest you go on the day, same time.

I think it's a orb,
😁
Secret_Dromouse (7 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-24)
That's a strand of hair or they haven't allowed the film to develop properly.
I know I'm an art student (though my chosen profession is Illustration) I've had experience using both Digital and Film cameras so I know what's what. 😊
Secret Dormouse
Bbrave (1 stories) (131 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-12)
I can't say for certain if it's an orb or not. There's a possibility it might be a hair but since I was not present when you snapped this pic I can not say for sure.

I do admit the fact that you were in a cemetery does add to the possibility that it was an orb. But again since I was not present I can't say for certain it is.

Nice photo though

[at] Ohiowatha

Please help me to understand what a skeptical/believer is. I mean how can you be both? A skeptic is one who does not believe in a given subject. While a believer does.

Also in one comment you say there is evidence of the supernatural and in another you say there is none. So which is it?
ralu4michael (28 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-30)
wow... Now that's incredible! I also "captured" some spirits (even Michael) on pictures... But what's intriguing is that I managed to get a physical glimpse of something spiritual only in my home (my soulmate and my grandpa) in churches and next to a mummy in the British Museum! Places where souls can be! And a graveyard is certainly one of those... I really believe these are spirits, neither dust, nor hair...
MARINExSNIPA (1 stories) (15 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-09)
It looks like a hair but I asked myself if it was a hair why would white be at the left end? I then realized thy it was an orb because if it was a piece of hair the root of the hair wouldn't be on the bottom it would be on the top of the transparent brown color.
NativeGirl (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-10)
Im convinced too, my uncle took a picture and caught an orb that looked a lot like that, his hair is baldish xD...
It was in my aunts old house (it was abandoned at the time he took the pics, he climed through the window with his friends and did and illegal ghost hunt lol) he said it was really creepy
zacstar777 (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-26)
just out of curiosity which eye do you shoot with? Left or right
zacstar777 (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-26)
It is dsefinatley a hair I don't know whys when everys time some thing happens people jump on it and call it a calles "ghost" but to me I believe that is as hair but it is really convencing
hazel_sun (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-08)
just commenting, but hair is translucent so even if that were your dark hair, it would show up like that because of the flash.
mgtor (2 stories) (26 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-05-11)
Why do we question the unknown so much. Is it because we are afraid to know there is something else after death or is it simply because we do not understand nor have answers that is more frightening. This is a great picture and I do believe it was a spirit. Thank you for taking time to post and share your experience. I also believe we will never really get answers about the other side but we will come to an understanding.
PrincessKatie (7 stories) (420 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-16)
hi sorry but orbs don't look like that they don't go out of the shape of roundness when they are going some where. I have seen loads of orbs and also in different colours. My story is on psychic experience. I thought it look like a ghost shape.
osyka (7 stories) (28 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-29)
Hi atouchofdeath,

The world we live in has a mixture of people. Now loads of us people are skeptic non believers but I am a skeptic/believer. I had many strange encounters and someone in here even called me paranoid (I encourage you to read my stories). I also have pictures taken of me with orbs in them and in one of them I also have a blurr behind me but I would never, ever publish them on a site becuase I hate to be badly critisised on them. Take care and keep faith, if you believe in something, keep on doing it don't let anything or anyone get in your way.
metalhed16 (14 stories) (119 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-10)
wow! That's a sweet picture, no doubt that's a spirit lol... I'm convinced lmao.
Jules (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-05)
I highly doubt its hair, and if it was raining on and off why would there be dust in the air? So it couldent be that. I have no idea what it is but its an awesome picture! 😊
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-07)
Excuse me, Michelle. Please forgive the interruption...
You know, I was asked this same question, Ohiowatha, and I was amazed to see that we come up with a lot of the same thoughts. I was actually directed to this post to see the similarities (I think I was, at least 😊, maybe it was just to see what you thought also).
I even used the same example and my thoughts as to why are quite similar.
Interesting...
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-05)
...[to FRAW, cont'd.]

like just recently, this guy, Bill, came on here and was telling a simple story about a lady that used to live with he and his mother. She died and, while shaving, he got the feeling to say he missed her and witnessed a blue mist in his room. I believe him. The thing that made this stand out to me is this. When he asked what was going on, he wasn't satisfied with the PollyAnna explanation of "O, how beautiful, she was really reaching out to you!" He was like, yeah, no kidding, thanks for nothing. What he was REALLY interested in was the intrinsic elements of the apparition--why was it blue, why twinkling, why a mist, why did it penetrate him. These are all scientific questions that one would ask when REALLY wanting to get at the root of something. It wasn't wishy-washy or gushy or anything. This was from a man who wanted answers and was even annoyed by anything less. That's my kind of poster!
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-05)
Fraw, I'd say there is absolutely no evidence supporting ghosts. While I do believe in them, there is no body of empirical evidence. None. Until someone can present some video footage of an encounter that is not discounted by anyone, there will be no evidence.

Unfortunately, there is only personal experience, which is why you can't really fault someone for not believing.

On here, I throw away most of what I read, actually. There are a very, very few posters that I find completely honest and I usually believe their stories outright. And I'm talking, within this site, less than 5 or 6.

There are a few others who I think really WANT to believe they're gifted, but I just don't buy their stories because there are so many or they're more displays of creative writing then someone trying to get a point across. Stories that give too much erroneous background or paint too perfect a picture are usually discredited, to me. Often, this type of poster reads too much into their experiences so that, if they think about them enough, they instill something paranormal into everyday experiences like dogs barking or having a feeling of being watched. I'm very wary of people who seem to throw up a story per week, for example. Could be true, but makes me wonder, and because of this doubt, I cannot put much stake in their preponderance.

Ultimately, I look for people who are no nonsense and objective in their accounts. Usually, the simplest accounts are best, to me. Again, there's no evidence to go on, so it's a pretty paltry "science" at this point (can't even be called that) and it's almost 100% conjecture and impressions, unfortunately. These are the people who I've never seen on here before, but come on relating an experience second by second, move by move, thought by thought and are a little tense and looking for answers. It's really hard to tell, sometimes.

I mean, if guys like those dudes on "Ghost Hunters" have all that equipment and spend a lot of money and time tracking these things down to absolutely NO AVAIL, then what chance does anyone on here have of presenting veritable evidence? I watch that show often and have never once seen a wit of proof that ghosts exist. Same with Paranormal state.

In fact, the only reason I believe is because of what credible people in my family have seen/felt, and what I have personally experienced. In the end, your own encounter is all anyone has to go on. While I am interested in about one post a day, I fully believe less than a few per month, on average. When I am as sure as I can be that someone's telling the truth, I chime in.

Same with liars. When I'm as sure as I can be that someone's not telling the truth, I let them know about my questions with their story. But usually, if I'm doubting a story, but can't quite put my finger on why, I don't comment at all and just move on. No sense in questioning someone's credibility if you can't say why!

But that's just me! 😁
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-04)
Excuse me Touch but I need to ask Ohiowatha a question.Ohio,while we agree on most points, I must ask you what do you view as evidence of the paranormal? I am not challenging you to a "duel at sunrise" on this but as a fellow skeptical-believer,what do we keep and what do we throw away?

FRAWIN 😊
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-04)
...also, any colored hair will show up golden in a photo because it is the color of light reflecting off of it that's showing up, not the color of the hair itself.

A really good try at getting evidence, Touch, but I'm afraid it's probably not supernatural in origin.

But what do I know?
PanasonicYouth (1 stories) (16 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-04)
Looking back at this I would almost go as far as to say that it's definitely a hair. The thick opaque base is the root of the hair, and as already mentioned because the picture's focus isfurther away the lines blur, making it appear translucent.
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-03)
I'd believe this was anything BUT a manifested spirit. I don't hold any stake in "orbs" and still don't understand why people think photographic anomolies have anything to do with the supernatural.

There's enough real evidence of the supernatural that we don't need to craft our own.
PanasonicYouth (1 stories) (16 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-03)
I personally don't hold much faith in 'Orbs'.

As a photographer I know that so many things can cause such an effect in a photograph, from light pollution developed in a certain way, or anything on the lens.

I'm not about to debunk your story, as the sudden compulsion to take the photograph interests me greatly.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-03)
Hi Michelle, I cannot say whether it's a hair or not, not that it's so important, though. To me the photo is definitely captivating and surely speaks a thousand words. Besides, as other posters have already suggested, is what had actually urged you to take the shot that's important. If you felt there was something there, then there probably was something there.
jennrocks (3 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-02)
I don't think its a hair. And it is definitely an awesome picture! Very cool!
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-02)
That is quite an interesting photo. While it MIGHT be a hair, it does not really look like the ones that I have seen that have been PROVEN to be a hair. But I agree, the feeling of the NEED to take a photo in a certain place, and coming up with this...
One would tend to think that would mean that someone wanted to be photographed.
If you REALLY want to know, you could send it in to an investigator, but I think you got the sign that someone wanted you to see.
Thank you.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-01)
You expressed my sentiments exactly Martin. Everyone knows how I feel about orbs. It was the compulsion to shoot in a certain area and picking something up that made the story credible to me.

FRAWIN 😊
Martin (602 posts) mod
 
16 years ago (2008-03-01)
atouchofdeath, what really made the story isn't a photo with an orb on it, which is rather common, but that you felt compelled to take a picture and got an interesting result to top it off.
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-01)
To me I feel it's an orb. An interesting one at that, as if it has just exploded through the air, for you to capture it. Don't look like a hair to me, but everyone has their own opinion.
atouchofdeath (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-01)
Thank you all for commenting 😊
I don't feel like it is a hair, but like Frawin said, who's to say it isn't a spirit. Nothing else turned up in any of the other photos I took that day, however, one a second trip back, a couple pics had small, lighter colored orbs, but I can't say for sure if it was dust or what.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: