You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Living Room Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

The Living Room Ghost

 

I'd better say this from the off - members of our family quickly get used to the weird and wonderful. We have a tendency to collect ghosts and ghost stories like they were going out of fashion. The ghost I'm about to tell you of is only the most recent, and it's one of a few that have at some point taken up residence in our house.

My mother was the first to notice that things weren't quite right in the kitchen. Most of the time it was things that could easily be attributed to forgetfulness or a coincidence. For example, a tea towel that was on the counter would be on the floor when she thought that she'd put it where it wouldn't slip; cutlery, too, would fall to the floor loudly and then vanish, only to be found a few days later somewhere that we could have sworn we'd looked before. This carried on for a while, and Mom didn't think too much of it.

Then things shifted to the living room, which is attached to the kitchen. One memorable occasion was when a whistle leapt out of a tissue box (one of those ornate and decorative wood pieces) to the floor whilst I was drying my hair there. Another, more recent one was when a small pile of coins was flicked off the TV to one side, when they had been perfectly stacked before.

A few times Mom has seen me walking in and out of the living room, as quiet as I know how to be - except that at those times I'm normally in bed, or in another room, or sometimes sitting right beside her. Even I've seen a shadow out of the corner of my eye sweeping in front of me more than once.

The ghost isn't malevolent, we think. As my uncle says: "It's the living that hurt you, not the dead" and so far that has proved absolutely true here. The only times I'm scared of it is when I've scared myself with wild thoughts of what it could do, but most of the time I - all of us, really - think it's just lonely or bored, and wants a little contact with others. Sometimes we talk to it, little politeness like "good morning" "good night" "awful weather, isn't it?" and so on to make it feel included; Dad in particular, as he's often home. It might be that this is utter nonsense and we're all mad, but I think it's nice that the ghost is there. It makes me feel safe, somehow.

Anyway, that's all I can tell you about our ghost.

Other hauntings by Setion

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Setion, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Setion (6 stories) (10 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-12)
I don't mind about long posts - the more you have to say, the better! It's a discussion, after all 😁

I'm not sure if it's a residual haunting. There were three owners before us, and only two died whilst in possession of the house - one was the first owner, an old lady, and one was an older man who spent three or four years building the fireplace in the living room. I don't think, though, that either of them is this ghost. For some reason, I think of the ghost as youngish, or at least free from experience, if that makes sense.

As for voices, well I've heard my name being called more than once (quite often when there's no-one in the house) but nothing more. Once or twice I've heard a snatch of music as though someone had stuck headphones on me and set the volume up high, but that's very rare.

I can't say I've ever had a feeling of static electricity, but that might be because I tend to attract a lot myself. Mostly, it's as though someone put a stone on my chest, not a heavy one but a solid weight nonetheless.

It's nice to hear that other people have a similar experience, so thanks for commenting!
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-08)
Excuse me for a minute, Setion, I saw a question there in Shelby's comment, and I would like to take this opportunity to answer something, from MY perspective.
You were talking about a dream you had where you encountered a ghost that felt like static electricity and said that you wondered about whether it was like that sometimes.
I would have to agree with you that ghosties are different. They are different in the same way that humans are different. None of us is the exact same, even if we ARE identical twins. There still is SOMETHING that is different about all of us. (Thank the Great Spirit for THAT. Could you IMAGINE two of me wandering around? I SHUDDER at THAT thought.) I would have to say that more often than not in the experiences that I have heard from others, there is a skin prickly, crackly sounding, almost at the edge of your seat feeling. Which I would associate with the feeling of static electricity.
Good question. You have me wondering, which also means you have me researching something. 😊
Thank you.
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-08)
Hello Setion. I really liked your story. I understand how you feel about your 'ghosties' in your home. You get so used to it that you don't mind it. It still, like you said, can freak you out if your mind starts creating very scary situations with these 'beings', or what they could do. I've freaked myself out thinking that when I'm washing my face at the sink or in the shower, when I open my eyes, there 'IT' will be, right in my face! Or when I turn around a corner in my house I will run into it. I remember a dream I had one time about a ghost and I made contact with it physically. It felt like static electricity but a little different. I wonder if this is what it sometimes really feels like? I think that it is different with different 'beings' because each time I have had physical contact with a 'being' it was a different feeling each time and it didn't feel like static electricity. Do you think the haunting is residual? Have you ever heard any voices? One time I thought I saw my daughter step into her bedroom and stand at the doorway as if she went in to get something but stopped because she forgot what she went in there for, then went ahead into the room. When my son ran into her room, I found out that she wasn't in her bedroom and never had moved from the couch where she was when I left her to change my son's diaper. We both have heard this girl or possibly a woman's voice. Don't know what she is saying but we have heard her on separate occassions. A lot of activity is in my daughter's room. It seems like all of the kid's including myself are drawn to her room and like to hang out in there. It is a very strange but good and comforting feeling being in there. You don't feel alone even though you really are. I've slept in there by myself before and you'll her things move or the door make a crack noise or something sit on the bed. Things roll off of the dresser even though the dresser hadn't been touched in a long time. The things that happen in my home are not obnoxious or anything. They are very quiet happenings. THANK GOD FOR THAT!
Thanks for sharing your story. I hope to hear more experiences of you and your family. So sorry for this taking up so much of your page, sometimes I get going and don't shut up! :)

SHELBY ❀ 😊
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-05)
When we have the paranormal happen so often one can accept it. I did in the "Haunted trailor in Michigan". If they don't harm anyone, a person who lives with them, just contintues on with their own life.
My kids and I accepted our trailor being haunted and lived there for many years. None of us got hurt, did get frighten many of times bu played chaos on the cats all the time. The cats were always fighting something, we couldn't see all the time.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-04)
WHat an interesting life you have lead, your whole family realy. No matter how often or in what way I have any experiences, I am always frightened out of my mind!

Thank you for sharing your story. I would be interested in hearing others.

God Bless!
Setion (6 stories) (10 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-04)
I've asked her about what she sees when she sees "me", and she said that she normally sees the edge of someone who looks like me as they go round the corner, and that we're apparently the same height, with the same length and colour hair and so on, but she hasn't seen the face as such. I guess you could say she sees an impression that's a lot like me, rather than a solid figure - but that's a very rough way of putting it.

I hope that make sense! :)
PanasonicYouth (1 stories) (16 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-04)
"Out of curiosity, when you say your mother has seen you walking in and out of the living room when you are elsewhere in the house, do you mean that it is actually in the form of yourself like a doppelganger? Or is it just a shadow/shape in human form that she assumes is you?"

I'm interested in this too. The idea of a doppelgΓ€nger perhaps suggests that the spirit really does want to be part of your family?
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-04)
Hello Setion,
I would say that your last paragraph said a truck load of truths. Firstly being that the living being more dangerous than the Unknown at times.
What an interesting family hobby.
Thank you.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-04)
Hi Setion and thanks for a very different approach. It really strikes me how well you have accepted and adapted to this situation of having an extra tenant in your house 😊I suppose having a peaceful presence around can be quite relieving as opposed to an angry one.

My brother lives in London and he has quite often told me that a lot of people coexist harmoniously with spirits or ghosts in their homes.

Well, I look forward to reading more of your encounters. Take care and thanks again.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-04)
Hello Setion. I must say that you have a unique hobby- ghost collecting not for the "faint of heart" 😜.Thank you for sharing your story with us, I enjoyed it. Take care and welcome to the site 😊.

FRAWIN
nigheanruadh (17 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-03)
I agree with your uncle! πŸ˜‰ I also agree with you that it can be comforting to know that you aren't alone in a house.

Out of curiosity, when you say your mother has seen you walking in and out of the living room when you are elsewhere in the house, do you mean that it is actually in the form of yourself like a doppelganger? Or is it just a shadow/shape in human form that she assumes is you?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: