You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Haunted Ranch House in Shreveport

Real Ghost Stories

Haunted Ranch House in Shreveport

 

I lived briefly in a ranch house on a 2 acre lot in Shreveport in the 1980s. The house was in a disputed estate of a man who'd shot his wife and then himself a few years before. I didn't know that at the time I moved in.

From the minute I moved in, I had a bad feeling. The very first week I was there, I went to sit in the glider swing in the backyard on a beautiful October afternoon. The day was beautiful but the backyard was not. Because nobody was looking after the house and yard (and neither me nor my roomie had the funds to spare for that), the pool was full of mud and sticks, the garden was overgrown, the grill and lawn furniture was dirty. I had an overpowering feeling of being watched, so much so that I remember looking around to see if someone was standing in another part of the yard looking at me. I finally grabbed my keys and left in my car.

I kept the keys with me constantly all the time I lived there, as that feeling would overwhelm me often. Lights flickered, floors creaked and when I was in the bath tub, I could swear I heard a man and woman arguing in the room on the other side of the tub. I found out later that was where the murder/suicide occurred.

This house had been remodeled so many times over the years that windows looked into other rooms and doors opened to brick walls, giving it an even stranger atmosphere. Since I was so creeped out by most of the house, I didn't even go into any rooms but the ones in front, my bedroom, bathroom, living room and kitchen.

One day my roommate came home and told me in a testy voice if I needed something from the garage, she should be the one to get it for me. I told her I didn't even know HOW to get into the garage, which was true. She was surprised. She told me the garage was a mess; all of my moving boxes had been pulled off the shelves and all over the floor.

She went to school and worked late nights and I worked days, so we didn't talk much, however, before she told me about the garage, I was already wondering about what was going on there. Since I could hardly sleep due to the things that went on at night, I often saw her car drive up at 3 AM, when she came home.

One night, just after she'd gone to bed, I heard her scream. I'm ashamed to say it now, but I was too afraid to get up and check on her, as I'd have to pass through the 'office' (where the crime occurred, which I didn't know about at that time). I told myself if she screamed again I'd go check on her, otherwise I'd put it down to a bad dream.

The next morning she was pretty angry at me, and asked me if I'd heard her scream. I played stupid and said 'no'. She said she had just gone to bed when she rolled over and saw a man with a horrible face bending over her. He vanished when she screamed and kicked out at him. It was then I told her that I felt the house was haunted by someone who maybe did not want me there. It was then she told me about the murder/suicide and that it had occurred in the 'office' room that you had to pass through to get to the master bedroom (her room).

We tried to get more information from her mother, who had known the family, but she was a fundamentalist Christian and got angry at us for even talking about ghosts. So we didn't discuss it much after that. However, the lights blinking and floor creaking continued, and when I'd occasionally muster up the courage to close the door to the office room (I used a broom to push it closed, I was that scared of getting too close), it would be open again when I passed by later. In addition, the hallway to that room was freezing cold, as was my bedroom. I wore gloves and a coat inside the house when I had to spend time there. It was a cold winter, that was true, but the rest of the house was never as cold as my room and the hallway.

I was alone in the house late one night and I heard keys jangling in the front door like someone was trying to get in. My roommate's dog was with me and he went nuts, running to the door and barking. I was fed up by then, so I marched to the door and flung it open and yelled 'where are you'? There was no one there. It was at least 1/8 of a mile from the porch to the road, and the driveway was in plain sight, and there was no car coming or going. Also, the yard was knee deep in leaves, so if anyone had been running through the yard, I would have heard the crunch of leaves. There was nothing, just quiet.

I called the police, who told me I was out of their jurisdiction and to call the sheriff's office, so I called them, and they told me just the opposite, so it's probably a good thing there was no one there (no one living, at least). After that, I put in for a job transfer as fast as I could and left after only four months in that house. I don't think I slept more than two hours a night the entire time I was there.

There was one more thing I always wondered about and have tried to find information about on this and other paranormal sites. After about a month after I moved there, a small red light about the size of a pencil eraser started appearing on the wall across from my bed. It would appear around 9 PM and disappear at the first light of dawn. I thought it was light reflecting from the road at first, and I tried several things with the curtains, and putting things in front of the window, but it never affected the size or intensity of the light. When I put my hand over it, it vanished, but there was also no reflection from anywhere on my hand.

After a while, it began to creep me out so I just turned away from it when it appeared. I would say it was an orb, but it never seemed to move. If anyone has ever experienced or heard of what this is, I would appreciate knowing about it. Thanks.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Louisiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Donna, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

DancingSheDevil (6 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2020-02-25)
Hi, I would love to narrate this story on my channel may I have your permission I will add a link in the description crediting yourself as the author:)
taildragger (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-12)
great story. Where is this house located? (address) I would love to read some old history about the place, but I can't do this unless I know the address. Thanks
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-23)
That sure is a creepy story and yeah sound like a laser tag red dot or something but I believe you cause I live in louisisana but never gone to haunted ranch house in sheveport before but my dad born there in sheveport.
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-08)
I was completely into this story. What a let down. I wanted to know if the roommate stayed or what happened after that. I don't know anything about this red light that would come at 9PM and stay until this first light of dawn.

Tammy, I have to say that I always skip over the expectations of the person too. It's a bad habit. I need to start checking on that after I read it so that maybe I shouldn't bother to comment or even read it. Although, it seems that these types of storied tend to generate great conversations between our little YGS family!
I talk to myself in my head and I too am my own worst critic. I believe Tammy(rhodes)has marked it right in my book, I also feel I am my own best friend but can be my own worst enemy too! Hmmm... It's funny the little debates you have with yourself all of the time!

SHELBY ❤ 😊
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-06)
Yeah, I kind of think if people are going to write a story and put they won't comment to the story in my opinion shouldn't write stories. It's like what are they hiding, by not replying to what they wrote?
I personality won't write a story, that I won't participate in the discussions.
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-05)
...man, so frustrating not to get feedback. What's equally frustrating is hearing about fundamentalist who subscribe so whole-heartedly to a dogma that they sacrifice reason for it. The one person that could have lent insight to this story refused to acknowledge the possibility of ghosts. Why is it that fundamentalist Christians can believe in an afterlife with either clouds or fire, turning water into wine, resurrecting the dead, and that planet Earth was wrought from nothing in less than a week, but will not recognize ghosts? I will never understand how you can let youself be so taken over by a discipline that it overrides independent thought.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-04)
Oh know exactly what that is like FRAWIN and Whitebuffalo but then again, I'm still myself's best friend. Besides, true friends are not those who flatter but those who can voice their objections and pass judgment on your actions but continue to love you regardless. 😊
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-04)
I KNOW, KimSouthO!
Disappointing, right? This one had me riveted. I was perched at the edge of my seat. It was a complete let down to scroll down to the comment section and see that in the expectations paragraph!
EllieRae (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-04)
Hi Donna! I would love to ask you more questions on your story. Please email me at rellis [at] laspirits.com. Thanks.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-04)
You know, Rhodes and FRAWIN, I am about the same. I critique myself, analyze everything I do, and then question myself. If I spent the time it would take to talk through all of these things, I would not have time to have a conversation with ANYONE else. 😆
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-04)
Well Rhodes you might say that I'm my own worst critic-I try talking to myself but wind up making myself mad 😆. Have you ever tried to pout and gloat at the same time-not easy to do 😊.Take Care.

FRAWIN ❤
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-04)
Why is it that I always skip the part about the writer's expectations I will forever wonder. It's disappointing to know that you're talking to someone's back! That was the greekglish self of me speaking.
Frawin is it really hard to have a discussion with yourself? I find it quite relaxing as I speak to one who always
agrees with me 😊
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-04)
All I will say is it is to bad that one with a story of this intensity is not participating, such a wates of time to go to all of the effort to post the story, then...

God Bless!
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-04)
Well, it would be pointless to post any questions, as you will not be participating in the discussion. It IS hard to have a discussion with yourself, as FRAWIN also said.
Even with the lack of money, I would have thought I would be out trimming and weeding in the garden, cleaning up what could be PICKED up, scrubbing the things that could be scrubbed, maybe the feeling of being watched was simply a previous owner wondering who the heck was going to ever love this place the way SHE did?
Thank you.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-04)
Hi Donna. That must have been a very uninviting house. Who knows what could have happened had you stayed there any longer? You didn't say if your friend remained there after you left although I doubt it. I don't really know so many things about orbs so I will just let some of the more experienced members to comment on that but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't a reflection at all. Who can tell what goes on in those houses that have "witnessed" such a violent act!

Take care
Tammy
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-03)
Hello Donna. Thank you for sharing your story with us, I found it rather interesting. You know,it's kind of hard to have a discussion with yourself. 😊.Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: