You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: A Message To Her Family

Real Ghost Stories

A Message To Her Family

 

My maternal Grandmother was a wonderful woman full of fire and quick wit. She emigrated to the US by herself in the 1920s to attend nursing school in Boston, and never left. She moved in with my family when I was 19 and just leaving for college. In 1994 she was diagnosed with lung cancer and passed away at home with all of us present. I still miss her terribly.

On that day light bulbs blew, the answering machine went haywire and never worked again, and the baby monitor between Gram's room and my Mothers picked up nothing but static. My Mother had been up with her during the night and Gram had told her she was visited during the night by family. "No one you would know," she told my Mother. This was only a few hours before she passed.

She was the matriarch of our family and a great source of love and comfort to those that knew her. When we went on vacations, my sisters and I would fight over who got to share a room with Gram.

Flash forward to Halloween Morning, 2007. I have been in Arizona now for 6 years and am living with my husband in our home outside of Phoenix. October was still a warm month for us here in the desert so we slept with the fan on. My husband had left for work already and I was just laying there half asleep, half awake. I was listening to the whirring of the fan when suddenly I could hear a voice behind the whirring. The voice sounded familiar. Where had I heard this voice? It kept repeating the same thing: "Just wait until December. Just wait until December..." I started to repeat it in my head. Suddenly I opened my eyes and snapped myself out of this state. I laid back down and tried to listen to see if I could hear it again. Nothing. I tried several more times. Still nothing. And that voice. I know that voice! It was Grams. Why December? What's going to happen in December?

Being that it was Halloween morning and all I thought for a second that I had somehow conjured this up in my subconscious. However, it all made perfect sense. I was raised Catholic and it is believed that on All Hallow's Eve (Oct. 31st) and All Soul's Day (Nov. 1st) that the veil between the living and dead is the thinnest. We are closer than ever during that timeframe. It is not surprising that if she were going to speak to me it would be then.

Time went by and before I knew it the holidays were approaching. My family all lives in different states and we had been trying to decide forever where to go meet to take a vacation together. We put it off until after the first of the year. December 2007 came and went without incident. I still kept Grams words in the back of my head. In January of this year we finally laid down some concrete vacation plans. In addition to my immediate family going, all members of Grams family have also decided to partake in this reunion of sorts. The month said vacation is going to take place? You guessed it. December.

As I've gotten older I have not experienced much by way of paranormal experiences but this was probably the most pleasant thing I have ever experienced. I believe this was Grams way of letting me know that something great was around the corner and it pleased her to see the family together.

Other hauntings by Jennifer40

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arizona

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Jennifer40, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-10)
Hi Jennifer. That was such a lovely story. It IS true that spirits seem to interrupt electrical appliances and such when they are around. I thought that was exciting and very anticipating when your Grams said, "Just wait until December..." Kept you thinking didn't it?! 😊I also found it very interesting that you and your sister had the same dream at the same time about the canister of costume jewelery that Grams had. Then you found out she really did have that can of jewelery! Thank you for sharing a great and happy story.

SHELBY ❤ 😊
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-10)
Hi Jennifer. Thanks for the reply and the additional info. I like your Gram, my kind of lady! These are events you'll never forget, I think it's a wonderful gift she's left for you, it'll make your Gram happy. Thank you again for sharing this lovely story with us.
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-10)
Yes, my grandmother was a very feisty lady. I don't recall anyone else having any other experiences as of late regarding our trip. I will say however, that when my grandmother passed, both my sisters and I had dreams on the same night about her. My youngest sister and I had the same dream about a canister filled with jewelry (Gram never wore jewelry and didn't even have her ears pierced), and lo and behold I found the canister filled with old costume jewelry that she must have worn at one time in her life. My middle sister was a new mom at the time Gram passed and she dreamt that Gram was telling her that she would be a very good mother to her daughter. In a way, these dreams were her last gifts to us.

Jennifer ❤
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-10)
Hello Jennifer40,
Isn't white noise interesting? It is amazing what we can hear if we are just still enough for the sounds to come through.
I like that your Grandmother left you in suspense, and did not tell you what December was all about. It would seem as if she wanted you to know that While some things can be pointed out, others are just worth the wait.
Thank you.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-07)
Hi Jennifer. Thank you for a lovely story, I really enjoyed it. Electrical activity is often associated with spirit activity, I've experienced it myself, so I really agree with you about all of the disturbances when your Grandmother passed on. I understand loved ones often come to guide people to the other side, my Dad saw my Mom come to him the night before he died. It gave him great comfort. Your Grandma sounds like a feisty and wonderful lady. No wonder she came to let you know of the upcoming reunion. She wanted everyone together. I'm glad you are all getting together. Has anyone else had an experience like yours regarding the upcoming reunion? It wouldn't surprise me. Thanks for sharing your story of never ending love.
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-07)
Hi Rhodes, Ozone, and Kim,
I'm so glad you all enjoyed the story! 😁 Grandparents are wonderful, aren't they? I have one Grandmother (paternal) still living and I feel pretty lucky to be almost 40 and still have her. Maybe blessed would be a better way to describe it. She is a beautiful woman and was the best dancer at my wedding almost 2 years ago. She is in her late 80s.

Thanks for reading.
Jennifer ❤
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-07)
Jennifer,
What a beautiful and heart touching story! I lost both of my grand mothers at a very young age and, unfortunately do bot remember them, I was however fortunate to have two 'adopted' grandmothers. One wsa moy uncle by marriages mother, the other was my step mothers mom. Both of these grand mothers were amazing! If any one could (and did) come back to advise that they were all right and not to let the family loose track of each other, it would be them!

I am so glad you were able to receive this message from your 'grand' and that your family has all decided to come together!

God Bless!
ozone_baby (2 stories) (28 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-07)
Jennifer,
I think all grandmothers are wonderful. Mine too is the backbone of our family and makes sure all of her 9 children and 37 grandchildren and unknown (to me) amount of great grandchildren get together twice every year. I have often wondered if this will continue once she is gone. (she is 85 and not such good health) your story has given me hope that she will see that it does somehow. Thanks so much.
Ozone ❤
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-07)
Jennifer hi and thanks for a heart warming story. I've got a soft spot for grandparents so I read your story again and again. It brought back a lot of memories and I thank you for that.
It goes without saying that grams was granded her wish after all! I can almost see the smile on her face 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: