You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Victorian Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

The Victorian Ghost

 

Several years ago, my family and I lived in this very old building. We had been tenants for about 16 years. We were to move out as this building was being demolished. As any regular night, my brother and I went to bed. We shared the same room and this detail will be important later on.

We always had a small dim night light on. I would get up once maybe twice a night for a drink of water. At about half past 2, I woke up but was afraid to get out of bed. It was chillier than usual and even with my blanket on, my toes were freezing. I had an overwhelming need to look behind me. We had our study tables at the back. So when I did look... There she was. A woman, dressed from a Victorian era, sitting on a stool and facing me. Her expression was blank, she was not looking at me, but in the same direction as me. She had one leg on top of the other and her hands rested calmly on her knee. She was white, had a lovely white aura and every detail defined, including her bustle and bloomed skirt, and fancy bonnet.

Needless to say I was scared, I jumped right back into bed and pulled the blanket over my face. A few minutes later, I peered out and she was still there. At about the same time, my brothers' pillow fell off his bed and he woke up to retrieve it. He had to get off his bed and so he stood and that's when he saw her too. He was not scared, just curious and flung the pillow at her. In an instant, we saw her go through the window.

We didn't discuss it the next day, but did after we moved out and we both agreed that we saw the same beautiful Victorian lady who visited us that night.

Other hauntings by miiish

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, miiish, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

miiish (3 stories) (40 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-18)
Hey WB. Thanks so much for writing in. As I mentioned earlier, no offence taken. I did agree to be cross questioned and so its ok. Thanks for the additional information and you know where to look for me in case you find that link.
Cheers ! 😁
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-17)
Hello again,
I can not find that link that I told you about earlier. I did, however, e-mail one of my friends and posed the question to her.
I may be wrong in my thoughts that ghosts can not go through windows. If I am, I am truly sorry that I have passed on some incorrect information. It is never my intent to say something that is not true.
If I do find that site that had the information about windows and mirrors, I will set the link in a future comment. If I can not, then I will just leave this all be.
Just for your information, (and as I said I would get back to you, even though this is NOT what I thought I would get back 😆) I thought I would post her e-mail answer. So, without further adieu, here it is.
"Hello Autumn,
Thank you for turning again to me with your question concerning the paranormal. Actually that is mostly a Hollywood portrayal of ghosts, that they can only pass through doors and walls. I have seen them pass through windows as well. I don't believe they climb through windows, but they can pass through them as easily as walls or doors..."
Thank you, and I apologize for any misinformation.
TheUnknown (1 stories) (192 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-15)
Well,a proper ghost woman. I thougth proper woman never have 'one leg on top of the other',so,ill say that she is less proper(Im not proper too,ok).

PS:If she visits you 1 more time, just talk to her ok.
miiish (3 stories) (40 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-15)
Hey Tonith, thanks so much for stopping by. Yes, my brother and I refused to talk about the lady we saw that night. In fact we were to move out a month later and we crashed on the couches every single night after that. I don't know why she went through the window but you know as WB said its odd that's she chose that mode to exit. But is it possible that there are other modes too that we are not aware about. A lifetime is not enough to unravel the mysteries of the Universe :) there is after all so much we DONT KNOW !
Cheers !
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-14)
Again when more than one person sees an apparition it takes on a different tone. You now have a witness. Maybe what you saw was no more than a residual haunting. Maybe this lady lived there once and that was a favorite place for her to sit. As far as seeing it go out a window that is unusal. Most of the time they simply vanish. What lends realism to this story is the fact that your brother and you didn't discuss it until you left that house. This is typical it seems, after such a encounter. People tend not to want to give too much thought to something they can't explain or sometimes there is the fear that if discussed it will return. Great story and well written.
miiish (3 stories) (40 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-14)
Hello again everyone. Thanks for the comments.

JPing : The lady did glide and leave. Sort of like superman, with her arms at her sides.

Rhodes68: Thanks so much about the history of Dubai. I must confess I was not aware of the facts that you stated.

Thanks all again !
Cheers ! 😁
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-14)
I think I viewed what you wrote correctly, Miiish. She was sitting with her LEGS crossed at the KNEES and her one leg just hung limp.
Not the way a Proper Lady would have sat.
When crossing the knees, it is possible that parts of the body that only a select few would have had the right to see, could have been seen by anyone. Legs and ankles were "off limits" visions to ANYONE. That is why a proper lady crosses the ankles. The skirt of the dress would then cover ALL of her leg, and not be able to "slip" to show ANY skin.
I am looking for the link to the site with the information about windows, mirrors and ghostly visitors. Unfortunately, when my computer got that nasty bug, it had to be totally redone, so most of my "favorites" are no longer on it. But I am looking for it.
There is something about the way mirrors are made, maybe the coating on the back of the glass that actually makes a mirror a mirror, but I do not remember clearly, so I do not want to say what I am not sure of. The windows have to do with some sort of way they are manufactured also, though I do not recall what the exact problem is. I will keep looking for that site.
Thank you.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-03-13)
Miiish forgive my interruption but since a few of the fellow posters asked about the connection between the Victorian era and Dubai, I would like to offer all the little knowledge I have on the subject.

Now the Victorian era was between 1837 and 1901 as long as Queen Victoria reigned. Dubai came under the British protection by the "exclusive Agreement" of 1892 when the United Kingdom agreed to protect Dubai against Ottoman attacks. I suppose since the agreement a few British families must have moved there but their number must have been very very small.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-13)
I am also curious as to the signifigance of the Victorian Era with this lady. Was thi sland inhaboted by persons of the victorian era? Where there any other occurnaces in the home?

Thank you for sharing your story with us!
God Bless!
JPing (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-13)
I'm wondering what on Earth a Victorian era lady was doing in the UAE. I'm not familiar with the history of your country so please fill me in if there is a connection.

Could you describe a bit more acurately the manner in which she left through the window? Did she stand up and climb through, or did she glide?

On a side note, Dubai is on my list of places I want to visit. I've heard there's some amazing stuff there.
miiish (3 stories) (40 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-13)
Hey all. Thanks for stopping by. WB, no offence taken. Its with the exchange of information things become much clearer. I have no clue either why she left through the window. I remember every detail very clearly because my brother and I both saw her and that validated the fact. I dint even have room think it was my imagination 😁 Why would a window be a trap? Whats the logic behind it ? And by saying "She had one leg on top of the other " I meant her right leg went over a left and hung down. I'm sorry if I was not very clear about that.
Cheers ! 😁
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-13)
Hello, Miiish,
Did you ever get to do any research of the place to see who this Victorian woman was? If I would have to venture a guess at where to start, I would have to say to stay away from the "ladies", or the "proper ladies" of the time. The reason I say this is that you describe her as "She had one leg on top of the other and her hands rested calmly on her knee..." Ladies did not cross their legs, they crossed their ankles so that NOTHING would be seen.
Do not get me wrong, she may have been a "lady" in every sense of the word, except for in mannerisms 😊.
Another interesting thing for me is that she went out through the window after your brother threw a pillow at her. That is not usually their mode of travel. I am not sure why, but in my research, it is an odd occurrence to see a ghost leave or enter through the windows as they are thought to be "traps", much like mirrors. That is just in MY research though, as I am sure others may have a different take on things.
Thank you.
killingkilgore (3 stories) (35 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-12)
Nice story. It scared me at first but I think it's hilarious that your brothers first reaction was to throw a pillow at it 😆 Thanks for the story!
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-12)
Wow thgat was preeey scary. I wounder what she was doing in your house. Do you have any history about the house. I hope to hear fromn you soon and take care

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: